• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Rooting on a U model

Search This thread

duckspacito

Nov 6, 2018
Just got my ZFlip3 today and was wondering what's the best way to root it. OEM unlock isn't an option in my developer options but i can still get into download mode by holding volume buttons connected to USB. Total noob here, is there any hope for my us region phone?

entropism

Jul 21, 2007
Linden, NJ
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a 5G
so there's hope for me? ;-;

(side note, this phone was a birthday present, i prolly should've told my dad to never buy it from at&t lol)
No. The only way to unlock bootloaders from the US models in recent history has been a hacked, remote bootloader unlock that they're charging $150 for.

Edit: And the process isn't out for the flip or fold, to my knowledge.

I'm willing to bet Twistedumbrella simply doesn't have a US model.

No. The only way to unlock bootloaders from the US models in recent history has been a hacked, remote bootloader unlock that they're charging $150 for.

Edit: And the process isn't out for the flip or fold, to my knowledge.

I'm willing to bet Twistedumbrella simply doesn't have a US model.

How much? Although, it would be less of a bet than a donation knowing you've already lost. It was a Note 20 Ultra unlocked US model purchased from Samsung.

entropism

Jul 21, 2007
Linden, NJ
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a 5G
How much? Although, it would be less of a bet than a donation knowing you've already lost. It was a Note 20 Ultra unlocked US model purchased from Samsung.
Then you're the only person in the country to get one. CONGRATS!

Needless to say, you're one out of a million people in the US who got it, and it's not available to anyone on the Flip3. You're just spreading false info. And honestly, until there's proof, I 100% don't believe you about your Note.

Edit: You know, you keep saying your phone had "OEM unlock" but you never actually said you unlocked the bootloader. You do realize that earlier Samsung phones had an OEM unlock option that just did nothing, correct?

Then you're the only person in the country to get one. CONGRATS!

Needless to say, you're one out of a million people in the US who got it, and it's not available to anyone on the Flip3. You're just spreading false info. And honestly, until there's proof, I 100% don't believe you about your Note.

It is just one more reason I wish I hadn't traded it in on this phone. I honestly didn't even know it wasn't supposed to be there until I got this one and it wasn't, but the glass also wasn't supposed to peel away from the panel. The guy who had to replace it said the same thing about being one in a million.

Don't worry. I wasn't going to hold you to the bet, even if I had a screenshot.

d0x360

Mar 11, 2009
I keep hearing that, but my Note 20 Ultra had OEM Unlock
I call nonsense unless you got a non USA model with the Exynos SOC.

All USA phones have the snapdragon SOC and have for about 5 years.

The snapdragon version has no publicly known method to unlock the bootloader and it definitely doesn't have the button in dev mode.

I wouldn't mind you using screen record and making a video showing us that you have a snapdragon soc AND an unlock bootloader button.

I call nonsense unless you got a non USA model with the Exynos SOC.

All USA phones have the snapdragon SOC and have for about 5 years.

The snapdragon version has no publicly known method to unlock the bootloader and it definitely doesn't have the button in dev mode.

I wouldn't mind you using screen record and making a video showing us that you have a snapdragon soc AND an unlock bootloader button.
It is just one more reason I wish I hadn't traded it in on this phone. I honestly didn't even know it wasn't supposed to be there until I got this one and it wasn't, but the glass also wasn't supposed to peel away from the panel. The guy who had to replace it said the same thing about being one in a million.

Don't worry. I wasn't going to hold you to the bet, even if I had a screenshot.

Believe me or not. It honestly won't change anything.

d0x360

Mar 11, 2009
Believe me or not. It honestly won't change anything.

It's hard to believe considering there seems to be no other case of a snapdragon edition having the option. Unlock carrier yes. Bootloader... No.

It just doesn't make sense that you would get a phone that was running the Exynos version of the firmware on a snapdragon device and the device still worked...

It's hard to believe considering there seems to be no other case of a snapdragon edition having the option. Unlock carrier yes. Bootloader... No.

It just doesn't make sense that you would get a phone that was running the Exynos version of the firmware on a snapdragon device and the device still worked...

Couldn't tell you. Had it not been for the screen coming apart, I would probably still have it and not even know anything was unusual. The irony of being the one device I chose not to root.

d0x360

Mar 11, 2009
Couldn't tell you. Had it not been for the screen coming apart, I would probably still have it and not even know anything was unusual. The irony of being the one device I chose not to root.
It's certainly an interesting mystery. Id love to get my hands on it and try to figure out how it works in the hope that it would lead to a way to unlock the bootloader on current models.

Perhaps the setting is technically there but hidden by a flag and something happened on your device to flip that flag...

You certainly have me very curious despite my skepticism. I'm gonna go digging... I'm also going to start messaging eBay sellers in hope of finding another snapdragon device with the option available.

Then maybe we could enjoy root without the insane method that requires $150. Hell I'd settle for just having TWRP again.

Sorry I'm a little late to the conversation but here's your unlocked snapdragon. Google is your friend.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211121-201944_DevCheck.jpg
    Screenshot_20211121-201944_DevCheck.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20211121-202206_DevCheck.jpg
    Screenshot_20211121-202206_DevCheck.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 36

d0x360

Mar 11, 2009
Sorry I'm a little late to the conversation but here's your unlocked snapdragon. Google is your friend.

Yeah uhm... Plenty of people have spoken to our "friend" Google and haven't found anything.

2 screenshots? Screenshots can be faked. How about before you take a light jab at someone you actually prove them (and everyone else) wrong and post the actual method to unlock the bootloader and get root.

Don't worry we will wait... Of course we won't be holding out breath.

Search the Note 20 Ultra Forum. I don't have the actual method. All I can tell you is I have a Note 20 Ultra 5g from Google Fi, unlocked and rooted. I bought the phone from Google Fi locked. Yes I paid for it but so what, I got the device for half price on a promotion.

Does anything in my post history dictate that I would make some **** up like this? 🤷🏻‍♂️ I don't need to impress anybody but spreading misinformation isn't cool. It's entirely possible to get a Snapdragon bootloader unlocked.

Edit: to say the first result is the service I used. Sampwnd
Screenshot_20211122-013439_Google.jpg

d0x360

Mar 11, 2009
Search the Note 20 Ultra Forum. I don't have the actual method. All I can tell you is I have a Note 20 Ultra 5g from Google Fi, unlocked and rooted. I bought the phone from Google Fi locked. Yes I paid for it but so what, I got the device for half price on a promotion.

Does anything in my post history dictate that I would make some **** up like this? 🤷🏻‍♂️ I don't need to impress anybody but spreading misinformation isn't cool. It's entirely possible to get a Snapdragon bootloader unlocked.View attachment 5464933

Maybe it was possible to get THAT phone's boot loader unlocked but it's not on any other USA Samsung phone.

Just look at the forums for every USA Samsung phone since the note 8 or 9. Nothing. If it were possible then there would be plenty of roms, kernels etc for USA phones.

So apparently the note 20 ultra fi version can be unlocked... But that doesn't help anyone else.