• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Rooting OnePlus 7T Pro

Search This thread

T4gB0t

May 11, 2021
Hi everybody,
I'm trying to root my OnePlus 7t Pro with android 11 installed, but I can't figure out a way how to do so...
I read some other posts/threads and tried to root it installing Magisk canary but it still didn't work (it got stuck in the booting process, and I had to flash the stock boot image to get it working again). Does anybody have an other idea of something I could try? Magisk doesn't same to get it patched regardless of which version I use...
Thank you in advance for your help!

Reactions: Wacko1805

Hw4ng3r

Hi everybody,
I'm trying to root my OnePlus 7t Pro with android 11 installed, but I can't figure out a way how to do so...
I read some other posts/threads and tried to root it installing Magisk canary but it still didn't work (it got stuck in the booting process, and I had to flash the stock boot image to get it working again). Does anybody have an other idea of something I could try? Magisk doesn't same to get it patched regardless of which version I use...

You said it got stuck in booting process, was this after a fastboot flash patchedboot.img?

T4gB0t

May 11, 2021
You said it got stuck in booting process, was this after a fastboot flash patchedboot.img?
Yes, exactly... Sorry for not specifing. I patched the image, flashed it and than my phone stopped booting correctly and I had to flash the stock image to make it work again. I searched a little bit and found out that it was Magisk's fault and read that I had to try with the canary version, so I did but it still did not work and I was stuck on the same point as before.

Hw4ng3r

Yes, exactly... Sorry for not specifing. I patched the image, flashed it and than my phone stopped booting correctly and I had to flash the stock image to make it work again. I searched a little bit and found out that it was Magisk's fault and read that I had to try with the canary version, so I did but it still did not work and I was stuck on the same point as before.
Have you tried just fastboot boot patched.img and doing a direct install through Magisk?

I know some people reported their phones borking after trying to fastboot flash.

T4gB0t

May 11, 2021
Have you tried just fastboot boot patched.img and doing a direct install through Magisk?

I know some people reported their phones borking after trying to fastboot flash.
Sorry, I'm not really sure if I understood what you meant....
I thought that maybe I could try to downgrade to android 11 to then root and upgrade while remaining root. What do you think about this idea? And do you know how I could downgrade my phone? I did some research but did not find anything useful...

Last edited:

Hw4ng3r

Sorry, I'm not really sure if I understood what you meant....
I thought that maybe I could try to downgrade to android 11 to then root and upgrade while remaining root. What do you think about this idea? And do you know how I could downgrade my phone? I did some research but did not find anything useful...

So you would take your stock Android 11 boot.img and patch it like you would in Magisk Manager. Save the patched.img to your computer. Reboot to bootloader and apply command fastboot boot patched.img. this should restart your phone using the patched.img. once it starts, go into Magisk Manager and click Install > Direct Install > Reboot when asked.

You could certainly go back to A10 from A11 but you will lose all your data. The method above does work. Where did you get the stock boot.img?

T4gB0t

May 11, 2021
So you would take your stock Android 11 boot.img and patch it like you would in Magisk Manager. Save the patched.img to your computer. Reboot to bootloader and apply command fastboot boot patched.img. this should restart your phone using the patched.img. once it starts, go into Magisk Manager and click Install > Direct Install > Reboot when asked.

You could certainly go back to A10 from A11 but you will lose all your data. The method above does work. Where did you get the stock boot.img?
I downloaded the software from the official website and used payload dumper to extract the boot image. To be sure that I understood everything... you suggested to use "fastboot boot patched.img" instead of "fastboot flash boot patched.img", and once the phone restarted to go to magisk manager and click direct install.
Do I need Magisk Manager canary or the normal version for this to work and do I have to mantain the canary version or can I install the normal version once it is rooted?

T4gB0t

May 11, 2021
I know that there was rooting issues back at the end of last year, but I'm not sure exactly what version of Magisk it was at the time.

If you want to pass safety net on A11, I've read success posts with canary and Magisk hide
Okay thanks, I'll try with v.23 first and If that does not work than I'll try with the canary one. Thank you very much!!!

Wacko1805

Jan 7, 2020
LeEco Le 2
OnePlus 7T Pro
Hiya, just use this TRWP. Decryption works on Android 11 (only tested on lineage).

Reboot to fastboot and use
fastboot flash recovery_a recovery.img
And
fastboot flash recovery_b recovery.img

And reboot to recovery.

T4gB0t

May 11, 2021
Hiya, just use this TRWP. Decryption works on Android 11 (only tested on lineage).

Reboot to fastboot and use
fastboot flash recovery_a recovery.img
And
fastboot flash recovery_b recovery.img

And reboot to recovery.

Okay thank you, I'll try if the other method does not work👌

T4gB0t

May 11, 2021
Decrypt does not work on OOS and you do not need TWRP to Magisk.
I'm sorry to bother you again, but I tried with "fastboot boot patched.img" and it still did not work. It got stuck while booting again with "unable to parse kernel log" as error message. Do you have any other suggestions?

P.S. I got a full backup with "adb backup -apk -all -shared -f /path/to/location" today and thought about just doing a factory reset, trying to root the phone, restore the backup. Do you think that might actually work? Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everybody,