Question Rooting T-Mobile A12 DE2118_11_C.16 (July 2022 patch)

Search This thread

HTCore

Dec 12, 2004
LA
Long story short, I rooted my N200 T-Mobile variant to A12 DE2118_11_C.15 (Full OTA) not a long time ago with no issues. However to be able to update to DE2118_11_C.16 (Incremental update, w/July 2022 Patch) I had to uninstall Magisk first, then update it to c.16. Now my phone is updated to c.16 but I am very unsure how to root it again to avoid bootloop;

1. Can I use c.15 stock boot image since c.16 was an incremental update? or I need c.16 version?
2. If c.16 boot image is already extracted please share.
3. If none above, how and where I can find the OTA file to extract payload.bin and then boot.img?

I would really appreciate if somebody help me with this, thank you.

lentm

Dec 3, 2008
Long story short, I rooted my N200 T-Mobile variant to A12 DE2118_11_C.15 (Full OTA) not a long time ago with no issues. However to be able to update to DE2118_11_C.16 (Incremental update, w/July 2022 Patch) I had to uninstall Magisk first, then update it to c.16. Now my phone is updated to c.16 but I am very unsure how to root it again to avoid bootloop;

1. Can I use c.15 stock boot image since c.16 was an incremental update? or I need c.16 version?
3. If none above, how and where I can find the OTA file to extract payload.bin and then boot.img?

The steps below is what I do since Android 12 update:

**Automatic system updates should be unchecked on Developer options.**
Prerequisites: Rooted with Magisk (v25.2 recommended) / Have stock boot image available.

Preparation:
A. Restore active slot boot img with stock boot on adb shell with root
ex) dd if=/sdcard/boot_a.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_a

OR

B. Uninstall Magisk with Restore Image option if available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**If you do A first and Direct Install with Magisk, then B option will be available.

1. Update OTA and DO NOT PRESS Restart Button.
2. Backup the new stock boot image. If your current boot is b, then new stock boot is a
ex) dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_a of=/sdcard/boot_a.img
3. Patch the newly extracted stock boot with Magisk -> Reboot -> Reboot to fastboot
4. Flash the newly magisk patched image
ex) fastboot flash boot_a new_magisk_boot.img
5. Reboot

OR you can try to install Magisk with in-active slot option at Step #3, then restart with OTA, not with Magisk; however, I've been told that it sometimes makes an issue such as bootloop. Up to you.

Reactions: HTCore
follow A1.1 to get your boot.img.

After your phone is rooted again, go in developer options and disable automatic system updates so it won't restart without your consent in future OTAs. when it asks for you to restart, go into the magisk app and press install and then "install to inactive slot". Then go back to the system update screen and press restart.
That's it. If you followed the steps correctly, your device should be updated and you should still have root!

Last edited:

HTCore

Dec 12, 2004
LA
Thank you both of you for your help and thorough explanation.

I suppose since I already restarted my device after update I have no chance with @lentm's method.
Now I'm going to follow what @justauserthatusesaphone posted and see what happens.

I will post the result here if somebody else is interested too.

lentm

Dec 3, 2008

I suppose since I already restarted my device after update I have no chance with @lentm's method.
Now I'm going to follow what @justauserthatusesaphone posted and see what happens.

All you need is the stock boot img file, and here's the latest one:

HTCore

Dec 12, 2004
LA
Thank you for posting boot.img @lentm!

I was middle of what @justauserthatusesaphone posted when you attached the boot.img! So thank you very much being mindful of others!

However, just to learn more and be prepared for future updates I tried the other method and it worked perfectly! My device is now rooted with latest update thanks both of you guys! :)
Next I'm gonna use your method for another N200 which hasn't been updated yet and experience that one as well.

I was middle of what @justauserthatusesaphone posted when you attached the boot.img! So thank you very much being mindful of others!

However, just to learn more and be prepared for future updates I tried the other method and it worked perfectly! My device is now rooted with latest update thanks both of you guys! :)
Next I'm gonna use your method for another N200 which hasn't been updated yet and experience that one as well.
glad to hear you got it!

Brisingrmischief

Aug 11, 2022
Could someone please tell me if it's possible to root this device running the latest July 5th update mentioned above without a pc ?
And if so where to find or how to do it ?!
I've been searching everywhere and have only come across a bunch of "one clock root options" that haven't worked .

towardsdawn

Sep 26, 2021
Could someone please tell me if it's possible to root this device running the latest July 5th update mentioned above without a pc ?
And if so where to find or how to do it ?!
I've been searching everywhere and have only come across a bunch of "one clock root options" that haven't worked .
One click root APKs don't have access to fastboot to flash a rooted boot.img, which is what you need to do for permanent root for newer Android devices. Also I wouldn't trust those anyway, most are not open source and might contain malware/ads/etc.

You can have a temporary root if your bootloader is unlocked by using a DSU, however if your bootloader has not been unlocked (which you need a PC to do) do NOT attempt to do this. Multiple people have reported bricking their devices attempting to do this so you have been warned.

All files on the DSU will be deleted when you discard the DSU since it is a different system image from the original. If you really know what you're doing you might be able to flash a Magisk rooted boot.img to the original system image from the DSU, I don't know how to do this. You can play around with making the DSU persist through reboots using this guide, I don't know if that works with updates or if all files will have to be discarded if you want to update. I recommend using DSU sideloader with a GSI from phhusson, when it says to run the shell script over ADB you can use a terminal app like Termux instead.

Last edited:

Brisingrmischief

Aug 11, 2022
One click root APKs don't have access to fastboot to flash a rooted boot.img, which is what you need to do for permanent root for newer Android devices. Also I wouldn't trust those anyway, most are not open source and might contain malware/ads/etc.

You can have a temporary root if your bootloader is unlocked by using a DSU, however if your bootloader has not been unlocked (which you need a PC to do) do NOT attempt to do this. Multiple people have reported bricking their devices attempting to do this so you have been warned.

All files on the DSU will be deleted when you discard the DSU since it is a different system image from the original. If you really know what you're doing you might be able to flash a Magisk rooted boot.img to the original system image from the DSU, I don't know how to do this. You can play around with making the DSU persist through reboots using this guide, I don't know if that works with updates or if all files will have to be discarded if you want to update. I recommend using DSU sideloader with a GSI from phhusson, when it says to run the shell script over ADB you can use a terminal app like Termux instead.
Thank you for your help !
I assume that since my bootloader is not unlocked and I don't have access to a pc I'm pretty much out of luck on rooting this device until I can get access to one .
Guess I'll have find a way to access one .
Much appreciated though !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The steps below is what I do since Android 12 update:

**Automatic system updates should be unchecked on Developer options.**
    Prerequisites: Rooted with Magisk (v25.2 recommended) / Have stock boot image available.

Preparation:
    A. Restore active slot boot img with stock boot on adb shell with root
    ex) dd if=/sdcard/boot_a.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_a

OR

B. Uninstall Magisk with Restore Image option if available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**If you do A first and Direct Install with Magisk, then B option will be available.

1. Update OTA and DO NOT PRESS Restart Button.
    2. Backup the new stock boot image. If your current boot is b, then new stock boot is a
    ex) dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_a of=/sdcard/boot_a.img
    3. Patch the newly extracted stock boot with Magisk -> Reboot -> Reboot to fastboot
    4. Flash the newly magisk patched image
    ex) fastboot flash boot_a new_magisk_boot.img
    5. Reboot

OR you can try to install Magisk with in-active slot option at Step #3, then restart with OTA, not with Magisk; however, I've been told that it sometimes makes an issue such as bootloop. Up to you.
    follow A1.1 to get your boot.img.

After your phone is rooted again, go in developer options and disable automatic system updates so it won't restart without your consent in future OTAs. when it asks for you to restart, go into the magisk app and press install and then "install to inactive slot". Then go back to the system update screen and press restart.
    That's it. If you followed the steps correctly, your device should be updated and you should still have root!

All you need is the stock boot img file, and here's the latest one:

glad to hear you got it!
    lentm's link didn't work for me so for anyone else who needs the stock image here is a non-expiring link for stock boot image for Tmobile DE2118 11_C.16: