Rooting the G8s - Guide

Search This thread

klausmensch

Jun 21, 2017
Hi!
I rooted my G8s successfully some time ago using this thread. (security patch of january 2020, Android 9) Thank all of you for your instructions and help! :)
I added two screenshots of my setup. What do I need to do in order to update to Android 10? Can I just use LGs update tool? Sorry for my noob questions... When I rooted my other phones I always used TWRP. Also, I never had to update to another Android version AFTER it already had been rooted.
I am a little confused and also scared to brick my G8s xD
You may also contact me in German if that would make it easier. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201103-094058.png
    Screenshot_20201103-094058.png
    207.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot_20201103-093955.png
    Screenshot_20201103-093955.png
    125.9 KB · Views: 107

Roger.T

Nov 13, 2013
Zürich
Samsung Galaxy S20
Hi!

I rooted my G8s successfully some time ago using this thread. (security patch of january 2020, Android 9) Thank all of you for your instructions and help! :)

I added two screenshots of my setup. What do I need to do in order to update to Android 10? Can I just use LGs update tool? Sorry for my noob questions... When I rooted my other phones I always used TWRP. Also, I never had to update to another Android version AFTER it already had been rooted.

I am a little confused and also scared to brick my G8s xD

You may also contact me in German if that would make it easier. :)
You need LG Bridge.
Connect the phone to the computer, open the LG Bridge software and let it do the update
Then you can root the phone again as already described in this thread.
To extract the images in the kdz you can use the tool that I linked a little further above [emoji6]

Sent from my LM-G810

Nov 17, 2020
Hi everyone! Please, i need your help, i'm trying to enter on my LG G8S on fastboot but i can't do it, i tried using the command adb reboot bootloader or pressing volume down and plugging the phone but didn't work, just restarts the phone, i don't know what i'm doing wrong. I'm on android 10 right now . I need your help please!

Eduxki

Apr 22, 2017
Hi everyone! Please, i need your help, i'm trying to enter on my LG G8S on fastboot but i can't do it, i tried using the command adb reboot bootloader or pressing volume down and plugging the phone but didn't work, just restarts the phone, i don't know what i'm doing wrong. I'm on android 10 right now . I need your help please!
What exactly do you want to do? Are you having a bootloop or you just want to root your phone?
Whatever it is, you have to download latest usb drivers in lg webpage, I think they are 4.5. Then abd will work as intended.
If you want to go to fastboot and you already activated usb debug inside developer settings, your phone should ask you to let the computer use usb debugging, you have to authorize and give permission.
Once you've done that, you can use: adb reboot fastboot, then your phone will reboot on fastboot mode.
If you just want to recover from a boot loop, there are some options, search in google for lg g8 factory reset button combo or lg g8 download mode button combo.
If you speak spanish you can talk to me by PM

Nov 17, 2020
What exactly do you want to do? Are you having a bootloop or you just want to root your phone?
Whatever it is, you have to download latest usb drivers in lg webpage, I think they are 4.5. Then abd will work as intended.
If you want to go to fastboot and you already activated usb debug inside developer settings, your phone should ask you to let the computer use usb debugging, you have to authorize and give permission.
Once you've done that, you can use: adb reboot fastboot, then your phone will reboot on fastboot mode.
If you just want to recover from a boot loop, there are some options, search in google for lg g8 factory reset button combo or lg g8 download mode button combo.
If you speak spanish you can talk to me by PM
I was trying to root my phone, i was trying first to unlock the bootloader. I activated the debug option and oem unlock, but when i put the command to restart on fastboot just only restart the phone. Do you know what i'm doing wrong?

Eduxki

Apr 22, 2017
I was trying to root my phone, i was trying first to unlock the bootloader. I activated the debug option and oem unlock, but when i put the command to restart on fastboot just only restart the phone. Do you know what i'm doing wrong?
Did you install LG USB drivers on your PC?
I couldn't use adb commands until I installed them.
Also the command you have to use is adb reboot bootloader

bexiu

Mar 14, 2018
I'm in vietnam, I search in lg-firmwares.com that region VNM but I can't find anywhere to download this firmware for this my location. So can I just download NEU and follow owner's thread guiding!?
update: :eek:
I tried to root and it stucked on logo after flash abl_a, abl_b. Maybe firehose cause this problem because my android still 9.
Any help me out this stuck logo, please!

Last edited:

5T33Z0

Apr 4, 2012
Berlin
www.soundcloud.com
Is there a guide for re-locking and unrooting as well? My banking app for generating login passwords (TAN) won't work with an unlocked bootloader.

EDIT: I installed LG Bridge and could update to from Android 9 to Android 10 without issues without un-rooting. But the app still doesn't work. seems that root is persistant. I like that actually. Maybe I just take another phone if I need this app

Last edited:

Drago3110

Oct 18, 2011
@5T33Z0

As far as i know the problem is the unlocked bootloader. And you cant re-lock the bootloader. I think it is the same thing on every other smartphone,too.

kuchynek

Dec 4, 2011
Brno
Here you have patched boot_a.image from/for firmware G810EAW20j_00_OPEN_EU_DS_OP_0216. I used Magisk v 22.0 (22000) for patchimg. For update to newer firmware I used LG Bridge.

Attachments

• 20j_magisk_patched_6r5Xb.img
    64 MB · Views: 26

kuchynek

Dec 4, 2011
Brno
what tool did you use to extract boot image? can you provide the original boot too so you can flash it back?
I used KDZ tools https://github.com/steadfasterX/kdztools and extract boot img from firmware dowloaded via this site https://lg-firmwares.com/downloads-file/24740/G810EAW20j_00_OPEN_EU_DS_OP_0216 (firmware version 20j). I hope that i kept original boot img file which is attached. If u want i can extract any firmware and send u boot image file ;)

Attachments

• 9.3.2021.zip
    23.7 MB · Views: 13
Reactions: chibidibi

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got root and Magisk working on my G8s (LM-G810EAW)!!

The patched boot image I used for my German (NEU) G8s can be downloaded from (check your Android security patch date in the phone system settings and choose the corresponding version):
    Version v10n: here (2019) or
    Version v10p: here (January 2020 security patch) or
    Version v10q: here (March 2020 security patch)
    Version v10r: here (May 2020 security patch)
    (then start on step 11)
    If you have the same model (AND version!) you can use that, otherwise follow the steps below:

Guide:
    0. Unlock the bootloader (https://developer.lge.com/resource/mobile/RetrieveBootloader.dev).
    1. Go to https://lg-firmwares.com/lg-lmg810eaw-firmwares/#tab=firmwares and sort by date (newest first).
    2. Download the kdz for your region (I chose NEU).
    3. Download https://github.com/steadfasterX/kdztools (and install python 3.8 if you don't have it, and add it to your PATH variable).
    4. Put the .kdz file in the same directory as the tools.
    5. Open a command prompt and run "python .\unkdz.py -f .\YOURFILE.kdz -x". This will create a .dz file using the .kdz file.
    6. The newly created .dz file is located in the "/kdzextracted" folder. Move it to the parent folder ("kdztools-master").
    7. Run "python .\undz.py -f .\YOURNEWFILE.dz -s". This will make everything into .image files.
    8. The output files are in the "/dzextracted" folder.
    9. Find the "boot_a.image" file and copy it to your phone's internal storage with e.g. a USB cable.
    10. Install the Magisk Manager app (https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases).
    11. Open the app and click Install -> Install -> Select and Patch a File. Choose the boot.image file. Magisk will then patch it and output a patched image file.
    12. Copy the patched image (magisk_patched.img) file to your computer.
    13. Put the file in the same directory as adb and fastboot.
    14. Enable USB debugging in Android settings and then boot into fastboot with ".\adb.exe reboot bootloader".
    15. When the phone is in fastboot, run ".\fastboot.exe flash boot .\magisk_patched.img".
    16. Restart (".\fastboot reboot") and run the Magisk manager app and you should have root :)

17. If you do this process for new updates, remember to unhide the Magisk manager app before updating!
    Otherwise, after updating: (If you have a hidden Magisk manager app (repackaged) then you need to uninstall it and reinstall the original version, otherwise it won't detect that you have root!)

Stock boot image:
    v10p: here
    v10q: here
    v10r: here

Android 10 kdz: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JaIOh96P0ptW2wMGcEamy4pgEAAoxUjw/view?usp=sharing

Edit 2020-03-19: Added patched boot image for January security patch
    Edit 2020-06-10: To install OTA updates, you need to use LG Bridge on your computer!
    Edit 2020-06-10: Added patched boot image for March security patch
    Edit 2020-06-13: Added patched boot image for May security patch
    Edit 2020-06-15: Added stock boot images
    Edit 2020-09-11: Added .kdz for Android 10 update
    January security patch boot image

can someone upload the bootloader file for magisk to the rooting for January patch? for DEC,NEU

i always get errors with python when unpacking the dz file on windows
    :rolleyes:

Thank you!
    Is this tutorial up to date or has anything changed since you made it?
    I only just bought the G8s (german version) and want to make sure everything is in order, so I don't brick it (on the first attempt). ^^

Thanks again!

I'm facing the exact same Problem. That's sad as I bought this phone only few days ago when I read root was available :(
    My G8s is on 1. january patch. Is it safe to use your provided Magisk boot.img? I'm a little worried because of the guys here mentioning bootloops/bricks

I just updated the post with the patched boot image for the January security patch :)
    If i use the v10p magiskpatched img on the first thread on my g8s that also have v10p need other ? I think that not need python? Right?
    No, simply flash it with fastboot.
    If someone need this, here the patched boot image for v10q:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lb8JEyTac9mhDFNE7VfmYEUtdma1yWlM
    Here you have patched boot_a.image from/for firmware G810EAW20j_00_OPEN_EU_DS_OP_0216. I used Magisk v 22.0 (22000) for patchimg. For update to newer firmware I used LG Bridge.