Rooting the Motorola one 5G ace

Search This thread

WatchGod

Mar 25, 2021
Moto G 5G
How to root the Motorola One 5G Ace on Windows 10
Android Instructions * Windows 10 Instructions
  1. On the phone: Main Menu > Settings > About > tap Build Number 7 times until Developer Mode is unlocked.
  2. Back out from About phone and go to System > Advanced > Developer Options > USB Debugging set on.
  3. On Windows 10: Download the latest Android Platform Tools and extract to C:/
  4. Click Start and type 'cmd' then click 'Run as administrator.'
  5. Run 'cd C:/platform-tools'.
  6. Run 'adb devices'.
  7. Authorize USB Debugging on the phone.
  8. Run 'adb reboot bootloader'
  9. After phone has restarted type 'fastboot devices'.
  10. Run 'fastboot oem get_unlock_data'
  11. Copy the lines of text with (Bootloader) next to them.
  12. Internet: Register and Login to Motorola's Unlock Bootloader Code Exchange
  13. Paste the lines of code into the box but before, remove (Bootloader) and the spaces between each line of code.
  14. Accept the terms if you do to receive an email with an unlock code which you copy.
  15. Command Prompt: Run 'fastboot oem unlock UNIQUE_KEY' twice.
  16. Run 'fastboot reboot' then unlock phone/ enable File Transfer in notification box.
  17. Download this(1) and this(2).
  18. From (1): extract boot.img, copying it to the phone's Download folder.
  19. Copy (2) to the phone's Download folder as well.
  20. Main Menu > Downloads > tap 'magisk-manager....'
  21. Tap 'Settings' and toggle the switch to allow then tap back then 'install'
  22. Main menu > Magisk Manager > App: Update >Settings > Allow toggle > Back > Install
  23. Open Magisk Manager > Magisk: Install > Select and Patch a file > Downloads > Select boot.img
  24. After: Copy modified boot.img(magisk_patched...) from phone to PC to 'C:/platform-tools/'.
  25. Run 'adb reboot bootloader'.
  26. Run 'fastboot flash boot ___________' (Blank being the modded boot.img known as 'magisk_patched....')
Any clue? Mine didn't work. Used LMSA with patched boot.img renamed from magisk_patched... in the downloaded firmware in LMSA. Then fastboot flash boot boot.img after after the rescue had failed and said it was still running. Fluked it to work....

Last edited:
  1. On the phone: Main Menu > Settings > About > tap Build Number 7 times until Developer Mode is unlocked.
  2. Back out from About phone and go to System > Advanced > Developer Options > USB Debugging set on.
  6. Run 'adb devices'.
  13. Paste the lines of code into the box but before, remove (Bootloader) and the spaces between each line of code.
  14. Accept the terms if you do to receive an email with an unlock code which you copy.
  16. Run 'fastboot reboot' then unlock phone/ enable File Transfer in notification box.
  22. Main menu > Magisk Manager > App: Update >Settings > Allow toggle > Back > Install
  23. Open Magisk Manager > Magisk: Install > Select and Patch a file > Downloads > Select boot.img
  24. After: Copy modified boot.img(magisk_patched...) from phone to PC to 'C:/platform-tools/'.
  26. Run 'fastboot flash boot ___________' (Blank being the modded boot.img known as 'magisk_patched....')
Any clue? Mine didn't work. Used LMSA with patched boot.img renamed from magisk_patched... in the downloaded firmware in LMSA. Then fastboot flash boot boot.img after after the rescue had failed and said it was still running. Fluked it to work....
You are going to have to flash the stock rom via fastboot (see my guide about that) and then patch magisk from the boot.img in the version you pick from the repo. I have root, but root with Android 10 will not make the system R/W, so while you get to see the back end files you won't be able to mod them, and any of your explorers like Root Explorers may or may not work either.

RETIEF

Sep 28, 2007
Moto G 5G
  6. Run 'adb devices'.
Thanks for the guide.it looks like root is either not possible or very difficult and dangerous. If Magisk did what it was supposed to do at step 23, I don't understand the need for the other steps. Please note that I come from 8-9 years of Samsung and Odin so adb and fastboot are essentially new to me.

Thanks for the guide.it looks like root is either not possible or very difficult and dangerous. If Magisk did what it was supposed to do at step 23, I don't understand the need for the other steps. Please note that I come from 8-9 years of Samsung and Odin so adb and fastboot are essentially new to me.
Root IS possible and do-able. I have it on my phone and it isn't as difficult as you think. I'll write you a noob guide.

Magisk has to patch the boot image in order to achieve root. It doesn't rewrite the image but modifies it in such a way to give ownership to us to have access to the root system files. If you mess up my guide should ease all fears. Keep in mind Magisk has been doing root like that since version 7. Its just now they don't use Magisk Manager. It's a less evasive process than the old school TowelRoot.

This is actually less hard than Odin. I've had a Moto E4, E5, G7Power and Now this phone. It's been the same process damn near for all of them except the E4 - Nougat and KitKat were different file systems than this sparsechunk crap they started with Pie.

jhjhjhjhjhjh

Mar 14, 2017
Rooted.
Bought this phone adding a line to metro and phone was 89.99. Oem unlock was able to enable no problem. Rooted no problem..I also flashed retus firmware over metro software/bloat.. everything works,, dolby/ viper for droid works.. waiting on custom Roms now...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210421-183534.png
    Screenshot_20210421-183534.png
    336.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20210421-180109.png
    Screenshot_20210421-180109.png
    193.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20210421-183541.png
    Screenshot_20210421-183541.png
    101.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20210421-183623.png
    Screenshot_20210421-183623.png
    340.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20210421-183725.png
    Screenshot_20210421-183725.png
    113.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20210421-183735.png
    Screenshot_20210421-183735.png
    147.4 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: Skel40

PEACH-PIT

Jan 22, 2018
Currently, there is no point in rooting this smartphone.
Even if you get root, most of the folders and files are r/o and we can't do anything with them.

Reactions: RETIEF

jhjhjhjhjhjh

Mar 14, 2017
Wow this phone has 128 gb storage and 6gb of ram.
Sadly the stock software takes over 3gb of ram.
Once a custom rom is built will see more ram hopefully...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210422-192809.png
    Screenshot_20210422-192809.png
    205.8 KB · Views: 21

Skel40

Dec 27, 2019
Moto G 5G
Wow this phone has 128 gb storage and 6gb of ram.
Sadly the stock software takes over 3gb of ram.
Once a custom rom is built will see more ram hopefully...
Yeah I've noticed that when using Device Info HW. The system takes up half the ram usually 54% so hopefully a new custom rom would be built soon once we finally have TWRP compiled for this device to eliminate any ram hogging files and apps that take most of the ram up

Skel40

Dec 27, 2019
Moto G 5G
Anyone actively developing TWRP or custom ROMs for this? Currently have a OnePlus Nord N105G on Metro and OEM unlocking is tied to sim unlocking. Looking for a change.
Sadly I don't because I don't know how to create TWRP. As for right now there's an experimental port going on so I'm actively waiting for a recovery image for my phone and I'll finally start posting a debloated rom by any chance if it were possible. Luckily we have a kernel for the ace so custom roms may roll out faster depending on the developers themselves over at Lineage OS owning this device just for the purpose of unlocking.

PEACH-PIT

Jan 22, 2018
The twrp created by the porting tool does not have a functioning touch panel on some devices.
To make the touch panel work, you need to build it from source.
I don't know how to do it.
There is little hope.

gullzway

Nov 17, 2007
Even if you get root, most of the folders and files are r/o and we can't do anything with them.
Bypassing Carrier Hotspot Limit and Installing Screen2Auto Android Auto mod ARE the two reasons I want to buy and root this phone! Worked great on my G Stylus with Android 10, the 5g T-Mobile Speed would be nice where I live.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rooted.
    Bought this phone adding a line to metro and phone was 89.99. Oem unlock was able to enable no problem. Rooted no problem..I also flashed retus firmware over metro software/bloat.. everything works,, dolby/ viper for droid works.. waiting on custom Roms now...
    6. Run 'adb devices'.
    Rooted.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone