• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How To Guide Rooting the SM-F711B (on Version F711BXXU2AUI4) working

Search This thread
For me it does not necessarily have to be a flip phone. Just f*** compact, but without hardware restriction. That's why I loved the Xperia Z3 Compact. Unfortunately there are no reasonable compact phones on the market right now in my opinion. The Z Flip 3 was the best compromise for me at the moment. Would love to see a Xiaomi compact phone 😂 but that's off topic.

Reactions: FFW

FFW

May 24, 2020
For me it does not necessarily have to be a flip phone. Just f*** compact, but without hardware restriction. That's why I loved the Xperia Z3 Compact. Unfortunately there are no reasonable compact phones on the market right now in my opinion. The Z Flip 3 was the best compromise for me at the moment. Would love to see a Xiaomi compact phone 😂 but that's off topic.
This is *exactly* why I bought his phone :ROFLMAO:

I want something that works decently fast and reliably (which seems to exclude those otherwise nifty Cubot phones) and fits into my trouser front pocket without bothering me - which means for me that I don't care much about thickness, but 10..12cm total height would be nice and anything above 13cm is simply inacceptable.

That being said, the battery of my XZ1 compact is beginning to get unusable (sadly, as I must note - LOS on that phone is running really great and Flamefire is even planning to upgrade the XZ1 Compact LOS version to Android 12), and as good as that phone is - battery replacement is a royal pain for that one and something I would not dare to do as long as it is my main phone.

Hence the Flip :)

But back to topic here: could someone add a brief explanation on how he installed Magisk with some more explanations (e.g. phone freshly reset and just minimal setup made or with completed setup prior to letting Magisk do its task?

When I tried to install the rooted bootloader, my Flip ended in a bootloop and I had to reflash it with Odin.

My setup was:
  • no SIM installed
  • skipped what I could during setup
  • connected it to the PC
  • just uploaded Magisk and the boot.img extracted from the Frija image - the image had the same version as what was installed on the phone
  • let Magisk prepare the boot file
  • uploaded the changed bootloader with Odin as described above (at least I hope so...)
  • cursed and reset everything.
Since this is my first Samsung and my first attempt to root without TWRP I most probably have missed something. For now, I stay unrooted until I get more information on what might have happened, especially since the procedure described here differs a bit from what the manual for Magisk says (they use the complete AP file). But I feel I want to replace Netguard with my trusted AfWall+ and Wireguard always-on VPN to my PiHole sooner or later again.

Any directions or links to information are appreciated. I have to admit I feel a bit overwhelmed from the various ways rooting needs to be done on Samsung devices my search yielded until now...

Reactions: david.siebauer

d0x360

Mar 11, 2009
Soooo... You're still the only person to make this "work". Seems kinda strange. I've tried it on 3 snapdragon z Flip3's and your "method" hasn't done anything.

FFW

May 24, 2020
Soooo... You're still the only person to make this "work". Seems kinda strange. I've tried it on 3 snapdragon z Flip3's and your "method" hasn't done anything.
You might want to look closer - https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/just-tweak-it-zflip3-debloat-root-plugins-battery.4356335/ . Admittedly, the process is described in greater detail there, but I don't think that justifies implying that it does not work at all.

Seems to me that Flip3 users are simply lazy when it comes to rooing at the moment. Since AFAIK there is no working custom ROM for the Flip3 available at the moment, the Flip3 is currently missing one of the main reasons for rooting. :rolleyes:

m3nt10n

May 12, 2012
Hello, I rooted the phone, you can somehow remove these screens at startup:
20211126_201104.jpg
20211126_201120.jpg
analogue up_param for Galaxy S20, S21

Last edited:

FFW

May 24, 2020
Hello, I rooted the phone, you can somehow remove these screens at startup:
analogue up_param for Galaxy S20, S21
AFAIK no. If I am not mistaken, these screens are generated by the phone firmware itself, so the only way to get rid of them is to get Samsung to remove them - good luck with that :)
Apart from that, at least the first of these screens fulfils a safety function. They tell the user (albeit in a very coloured way, both from the optics and from the content) that he ought to take care what he does. A rooted phone is like your computer at home - don't blindly do stupid things.

But why do you care? They pop up and disappear again by themselves.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is *exactly* why I bought his phone :ROFLMAO:

I want something that works decently fast and reliably (which seems to exclude those otherwise nifty Cubot phones) and fits into my trouser front pocket without bothering me - which means for me that I don't care much about thickness, but 10..12cm total height would be nice and anything above 13cm is simply inacceptable.

That being said, the battery of my XZ1 compact is beginning to get unusable (sadly, as I must note - LOS on that phone is running really great and Flamefire is even planning to upgrade the XZ1 Compact LOS version to Android 12), and as good as that phone is - battery replacement is a royal pain for that one and something I would not dare to do as long as it is my main phone.

Hence the Flip :)

But back to topic here: could someone add a brief explanation on how he installed Magisk with some more explanations (e.g. phone freshly reset and just minimal setup made or with completed setup prior to letting Magisk do its task?

When I tried to install the rooted bootloader, my Flip ended in a bootloop and I had to reflash it with Odin.

My setup was:
    • no SIM installed
    • skipped what I could during setup
    • connected it to the PC
    • just uploaded Magisk and the boot.img extracted from the Frija image - the image had the same version as what was installed on the phone
    • let Magisk prepare the boot file
    • uploaded the changed bootloader with Odin as described above (at least I hope so...)
    • cursed and reset everything.
    Since this is my first Samsung and my first attempt to root without TWRP I most probably have missed something. For now, I stay unrooted until I get more information on what might have happened, especially since the procedure described here differs a bit from what the manual for Magisk says (they use the complete AP file). But I feel I want to replace Netguard with my trusted AfWall+ and Wireguard always-on VPN to my PiHole sooner or later again.

Any directions or links to information are appreciated. I have to admit I feel a bit overwhelmed from the various ways rooting needs to be done on Samsung devices my search yielded until now...