• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Rooting... Worth it? Or hassle?

Search This thread

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
There are two main features I want from a rooted phone, and those are

a) decent backup that saves in-app data (logins etc)
b) decent custom audio mod (like v4a with custom ddcs, convolvers).

The rest matters little. I mean yes there are a couple tweaks that prolong battery life, some people love to play around with Kernels (even though many are bogus, only few offer real battery life advantages), then you have some minor advantages like better statistic views (AccuBattery, et cetera) & an adblock like adaway - but I could live without those (especially since you can use Adaway with VPN).

So for Google to convince me not to root any more, all they have to do is make a decent backup system and give us real audio control.

Until then, yes, at least for me, rooting is worth it.

HipKat

Recognized Contributor

2 Things that you shouldn't have to root to achieve. I have never nor will lI ever understand why you can't save App Data?? It just boggles my mind

Burt Squirtz

Feb 11, 2018
This is quite handy for blocking ads to without installing anything at all, I no it doesn't block ads built into apps but it blocks all and any ads on the web like on Chrome and all other browsers,

And thanks for feedback guys!View attachment 5464321
Yes, but it's not as passive way for ad blocking, and it chews more battery than using Adaway passively in the background. I've also noticed your ping suffers slightly more than stock dns.

There really is no reason to not root a Pixel 6 Pro, I guarantee you'll be glad you did it.

S8rooted&tooted

Sep 18, 2017
Google Pixel 3 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro

The rest matters little. I mean yes there are a couple tweaks that prolong battery life, some people love to play around with Kernels (even though many are bogus, only few offer real battery life advantages), then you have some minor advantages like better statistic views (AccuBattery, et cetera) & an adblock like adaway - but I could live without those (especially since you can use Adaway with VPN).

So for Google to convince me not to root any more, all they have to do is make a decent backup system and give us real audio control.

Until then, yes, at least for me, rooting is worth it.
I cringe whenever I hear people still using backup apps. Android has a back up mechanism using adb. Look it up. No need for root or anything else for backups. If you got a desktop (which you need for root) you should be able to adb a backup. And a whole backup. Accubattery, get rid of. Nasty battery eating app. Using the stock battery app and knowing how to find running apps will get you best battery and restrict ones you don't need running and unrestrict the ones you want running. It will work way better than accubattery. Adblocking and full screen gestures with no nav bar is my reason.. private dns providers can block ads but at a cost. You get routed to their preferred servers and those can be anywhere. Cloudflare, they rerouted everyone to China a year ago. Careful using private dns with a bad provider.

iRhyiku

Jan 23, 2011
I cringe whenever I hear people still using backup apps. Android has a back up mechanism using adb. Look it up. No need for root or anything else for backups. If you got a desktop (which you need for root) you should be able to adb a backup. And a whole backup. Accubattery, get rid of. Nasty battery eating app. Using the stock battery app and knowing how to find running apps will get you best battery and restrict ones you don't need running and unrestrict the ones you want running. It will work way better than accubattery. Adblocking and full screen gestures with no nav bar is my reason.. private dns providers can block ads but at a cost. You get routed to their preferred servers and those can be anywhere. Cloudflare, they rerouted everyone to China a year ago. Careful using private dns with a bad provider.

Just having my phone backup to my own cloud server while im asleep is much better than manually doing it to my desktop.

Reactions: S8rooted&tooted

almahix

2 Things that you shouldn't have to root to achieve. I have never nor will lI ever understand why you can't save App Data?? It just boggles my mind
Agreed! I have not rooted my P6P so I use the adb backup method. I haven't tried to restore anything; I don't know if one can restore selectively or if it is necessary to restore the whole .ab file. I'd rather use Titanium Backup that I've used since my original Droid device man ages ago.

foobar66

Jan 8, 2011
Brussels
Google Pixel 6 Pro
WARNING: adb backup is deprecated and may be removed in a future release

S8rooted&tooted

Sep 18, 2017
Google Pixel 3 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
You should probably let Google know then, because it still works... FYI.
Read through, they list changes made to adb backup. If it was deprecated, they wouldn't be still making changes to it, deprecated means done, no more development on it.. but here on the official android 12 changes they list changes made to adb backup. User app data is getting restricted from user apps. System data and apps can still be backed up. But hey, I am sure they will listen to you.

Last edited:

foobar66

Jan 8, 2011
Brussels
Google Pixel 6 Pro
That is the message which I get when I run 'adb backup' ... actually with latest version from android platform tools (for linux).

Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.41
Version 31.0.3-7562133

I'll try another version ;-)

Last edited:

s3axel

I cringe whenever I hear people still using backup apps. Android has a back up mechanism using adb. Look it up. No need for root or anything else for backups. If you got a desktop (which you need for root) you should be able to adb a backup. And a whole backup. ..
When I tried fiddling with ADB backup last time it just didn't work .... Loads of apps didn't allow backup, enabling this with a Magisk module (don't recall its name) didn't change a thing for those as well - so no luck.... And of those that were at least backed up many didn't restore well (read: functional and data restored) ....

All in all a total waste of time and by no means safe in the sense that you know a backup will be safely restored later....

So back to TiBu or now Swiftbackup - needs root, yes, but works reliably and flawless (although I see an increasing number of apps that crash after data restore - luckily all those allow for in-app backup of data so far )...

Maybe things have changed though, my experience with ADB is maybe 2 years old....

BTW I'm fully with everybody saying that full backup/restore should be part of Android and it's a shame that it isn't !

spotmark

Feb 18, 2010
Massachusetts
Funny story. As I have mentioned, Android has evolved to the point where I don't feel the need to root any longer. Yesterday, I was prepping the wife's Oneplus 8 Pro to sell on Swappa. We both just upgraded to the P6P. Well, in my haste, I forgot to uninstall Magisk before locking the bootloader. Having never used the MSM tool before, I spent a fair amount of time reading and downloading, before I had the phone up and running again. I used to enjoy that, but I've been doing this a long time now, and I don't think I'm going to miss it. For those of you who do still enjoy it, carry on, and have fun.

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I still root because, for whatever reason, backing up of app data doesn't exist from Google's own backup service, as some developers can choose to have that disabled. This is the one area where Apple gets it right and Google still falls short.

Even though Google offers to backup sms and MMS now through their Google One service, why this isn't done through normal means still boggles my mind. Why must a separate service do this, and when you choose to restore it only works half the time?

Using ADB to backup your apps work; sure, but their data doesn't go along with it. I've tried backing up individual apps recently using ADB, but all I get is a very small 1kb file with nothing in it. I used to use ADB in the past without root and it worked well, but now if an app provider has disallowed ADB backup, then there's not much you can do to save your app data unless the app provides that option, or you root.

I hear lots of folks using Swift, but I don't want to "make an account" where essentially an encryption key is not provided by a developer who has snarky replies to user reviews, if I ever lose access to my account and its data.

There's another backup option called OAndBackupX where you can set your own password for encryption, choose which apps to backup and where the file goes. It's similar to Titanium backup but with a modern UI.

For now, I'll keep rooting for small customization that Google doesn't provide, such as changing of fonts, small status bar tweaks, accessing and backing up my own data that developers refuse to do or provide options for, theming etc.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
I've also always rooted my phones and tablets.

One, because I can and I like having control over my devices!

Two, for backing up apps using TiBu until now and maybe Swift Backup or OAndBackupX from now on when I move over to my P6P.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

otto888

I would have rooted, but it's probably a matter of when, not if, apps that use SafetyNet start requiring hardware backed attestation to pass. There is also the risk of a wipe when applying OTAs if you forget one of the new steps to keep root.

Vash369

Sep 4, 2012
Tampa
I used to root, but now don't feel the need to any more. Feel it's more trouble to use it now. Don't miss viper anymore as my headphones sounds great and can tinker if needed with Poweramp. Google backup is good enough nowadays and can manually backup or use tasker as a workaround from Swift Backup. Still miss AdAway at times, but have workarounds for it as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Last device I ever rooted was the op6, I loved rooting the phones to have overall controll,

But is it worth it these days? And If I wore to root I know there's a module you can install to keep gpay and things but what about otas and things, and then re rooting? Is it a hassle just to get that extra bit of functionality? Or is there new great things on magisk manager I don't no about?

Sorry, this p6 pro is my first ever pixel device,

It's abs awesome, besides the FPS lol.
    It all really depends on what you really want different than the stock rom. In the past many of us rooted because of new ideas others had that Android was lacking at that time. Double tap to sleep/wake, tethering, AdBlock, overclock just to name a few. Now many of the Android phones have these features with regular stock rom and because of that some decided that theirs no point. Also rooting now is different than old root like say the original droid when it first came out. It just really depends on what the user really wants from their phone.
    Depends what you do with root. It's essential for me for adblock, titanium backup and device clock synchronization. So for me worth it
    Last device I ever rooted was the op6, I loved rooting the phones to have overall controll,

But is it worth it these days? And If I wore to root I know there's a module you can install to keep gpay and things but what about otas and things, and then re rooting? Is it a hassle just to get that extra bit of functionality? Or is there new great things on magisk manager I don't no about?

Sorry, this p6 pro is my first ever pixel device,

It's abs awesome, besides the FPS lol.
    I've answered this quite a few times. I've been rooting since the Eris days. But the P6P is the now second phone I haven't rooted. I have 3 main reasons for rooting and I've found a way around each one, so I just don't care any more.

1. Backups. I was a TiBu user for years. Recently switched to Swift and both were perfect for what I needed. But now the built-in Google backup gives me everything I need. I made a list of all of my apps that I backed up and as of ~4 months ago, all of them are backed up naturally by Google
    2. Custon kernels (big one). You don't need to be rooted to flash a custom kernel. I can flash one of the current kernels as long as they're not a flashable zip. Or I can use @tbalden 's CleanSlate. I've used my own kernels in the past but I haven't been able to get a working img currently.
    3. Ad-blocking. I have a pi4 running pihole and wireguard. Furthermore, my pi4 is a client of Mullvad. So, I have dns level ad blocking, secure connection to my home network and obfuscation all on the go. This bypasses the limit of 2 vpns being active because vpn based ad blocking sucks.

I absolutely unlock the bootloader because I want to be in charge of the updates. Never trusted OTA's and absolutely want the ability to recover pretty much no matter what.
    I've been rooting and flashing since the OG Droid. I've always said I would never buy a phone I couldn't unlock and root, but Android has evolved to the point where I no longer feel the need. I'm enjoying the fact that everything works and to upgrade all I have to do is tap the install button.
    From 2010 to now, I have never regretted rooting. After using the horrible software on the Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, I'm glad to be back in Pixel and rooting land again.