Question Rooting... Worth it? Or hassle?

Search This thread

iLLdWes

Nov 27, 2012
Queens, NYC
Google Pixel 6 Pro
This is quite handy for blocking ads to without installing anything at all, I no it doesn't block ads built into apps but it blocks all and any ads on the web like on Chrome and all other browsers,

And thanks for feedback guys!View attachment 5464321
Just did this... Was looking to root and use AdAway but if this works well enough on chrome I'll be happy... Thanks

almahix

I am accustomed to rooting, primarily to run Titanium Backup so I can restore apps and data after checking out new ROMs. I have no desire to use a different ROM as long as this one is supported, so I have no need. I did have a problem trying to download the December patch and had to wipe data in order to restore. Everything I would have restored WAS restored by Google, except the history of some word games I amuse myself with. No great loss. I unlocked the bootloader when unboxing but haven't done anything else. If someone ever comes up without a TWRP for this phone I may because it that makes it so much simpler.

Feb 11, 2012
Last device I ever rooted was the op6, I loved rooting the phones to have overall controll,

But is it worth it these days? And If I wore to root I know there's a module you can install to keep gpay and things but what about otas and things, and then re rooting? Is it a hassle just to get that extra bit of functionality? Or is there new great things on magisk manager I don't no about?

Sorry, this p6 pro is my first ever pixel device,

It's abs awesome, besides the FPS lol.
It all really depends on what you really want different than the stock rom. In the past many of us rooted because of new ideas others had that Android was lacking at that time. Double tap to sleep/wake, tethering, AdBlock, overclock just to name a few. Now many of the Android phones have these features with regular stock rom and because of that some decided that theirs no point. Also rooting now is different than old root like say the original droid when it first came out. It just really depends on what the user really wants from their phone.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

B from C

Aug 18, 2015
Started a new job and the mobile apps can detect root no matter where you hide Magisk and what's on your DenyList. So there's a con.
Using Shamiko to enforce the denylist instead of the native Magisk has been a game changer for me and has handled everything I've thrown at it including GPay and my banking apps. Have you given that a spin?

p51d007

Oct 15, 2007
Springfield, Mo
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
The last phone I rooted, was the original OnePlus One.
I'm to the point that the phone is a "work tool" and at the end of the day,
I rarely pick it up save for a phone call.
Out of the box, with developer options turned on and tweaked is about it
for me these days.

SigmundDroid

Sep 25, 2015
Fairphone
Samsung Galaxy S5
Now imagine this:

Linux or Windows would be released without root/admin and they'd say: "It's for your own safety".

dont-trust-trust.gif

Reactions: AlDollaz

somethingsomethingroot

Nov 8, 2013
pardon my ignorance, but are you rooting a work device or just using work apps on your personal rooted device?
Work apps on a personal device. Previous jobs provided a phone for work stuff, but this one does not.

Using Shamiko to enforce the denylist instead of the native Magisk has been a game changer for me and has handled everything I've thrown at it including GPay and my banking apps. Have you given that a spin?

Admittedly, no. But I've already had to reimage, as one of the apps can check if you have an unlocked bootloader.

I can deal with the cat and mouse games when banking apps some Play Store apps are the sacrifices. Didn't wanna risk it for work notifications.

73sydney

Anyone got 5G/VoLTE/VoWifi working after rooting? Unfortunately there is no way to get these in an unsupported country, as of now.

Wasting your time on the Pixel 6 for VoLTE, if theyre not natively supported by your carrier out of the box, you wont find magical files to enable it, it uses an Exynos modem, not Qualcomm. Dont fall for the trap of people posting modules and zips claiming that magical "VoLTE files" inside will work....far too many people paste Qualcomm stuff onto inappropriate devices...plenty of people slinging digital snake oil dressed up as "VoLTE fixes"

• Wow
Reactions: SigmundDroid

73sydney

There are two main features I want from a rooted phone, and those are

a) decent backup that saves in-app data (logins etc)
b) decent custom audio mod (like v4a with custom ddcs, convolvers).

The rest matters little. I mean yes there are a couple tweaks that prolong battery life, some people love to play around with Kernels (even though many are bogus, only few offer real battery life advantages), then you have some minor advantages like better statistic views (AccuBattery, et cetera) & an adblock like adaway - but I could live without those (especially since you can use Adaway with VPN).

So for Google to convince me not to root any more, all they have to do is make a decent backup system and give us real audio control.

Until then, yes, at least for me, rooting is worth it.

Used it for years...just only use v4 for now...v5 has never completed a valid backup ruin for me in 8 months of testing

And a post on how i have used it for years, the easy way:

FireRattus

Feb 26, 2022
Siwft Backup is my favourite root backup app
I had been using titanium backup for years, I did also try Migrate and another one I don't recall right now
but Swift by far is my favourite

Reactions: abalam

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Siwft Backup is my favourite root backup app
I had been using titanium backup for years, I did also try Migrate and another one I don't recall right now
but Swift by far is my favourite
There is another app called Neo-Backup (formerly OAndBackupX). The interface IMO could be better, and is similar to TitaniumBackup but with a modern design. What throws me off is the way there's icons next to app names that aren't necessarily clear as to what they mean, unless you study and memorize their purpose.

For anyone interested you can check out the project, below.

73sydney

There is another app called Neo-Backup (formerly OAndBackupX). The interface IMO could be better, and is similar to TitaniumBackup but with a modern design. What throws me off is the way there's icons next to app names that aren't necessarily clear as to what they mean, unless you study and memorize their purpose.

For anyone interested you can check out the project, below.

I did a bit of testing when he originally forked the code, it was early days, and not up to the tasks i needed, hence i stayed with Migrate, but to be honest i havent tried it in a while, might revisit, thanks for the reminder it was still going

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Depends what you do with root. It's essential for me for adblock, titanium backup and device clock synchronization. So for me worth it
    I've been rooting and flashing since the OG Droid. I've always said I would never buy a phone I couldn't unlock and root, but Android has evolved to the point where I no longer feel the need. I'm enjoying the fact that everything works and to upgrade all I have to do is tap the install button.
    Last device I ever rooted was the op6, I loved rooting the phones to have overall controll,

But is it worth it these days? And If I wore to root I know there's a module you can install to keep gpay and things but what about otas and things, and then re rooting? Is it a hassle just to get that extra bit of functionality? Or is there new great things on magisk manager I don't no about?

Sorry, this p6 pro is my first ever pixel device,

It's abs awesome, besides the FPS lol.
    I've answered this quite a few times. I've been rooting since the Eris days. But the P6P is the now second phone I haven't rooted. I have 3 main reasons for rooting and I've found a way around each one, so I just don't care any more.

1. Backups. I was a TiBu user for years. Recently switched to Swift and both were perfect for what I needed. But now the built-in Google backup gives me everything I need. I made a list of all of my apps that I backed up and as of ~4 months ago, all of them are backed up naturally by Google
    2. Custon kernels (big one). You don't need to be rooted to flash a custom kernel. I can flash one of the current kernels as long as they're not a flashable zip. Or I can use @tbalden 's CleanSlate. I've used my own kernels in the past but I haven't been able to get a working img currently.
    3. Ad-blocking. I have a pi4 running pihole and wireguard. Furthermore, my pi4 is a client of Mullvad. So, I have dns level ad blocking, secure connection to my home network and obfuscation all on the go. This bypasses the limit of 2 vpns being active because vpn based ad blocking sucks.

I absolutely unlock the bootloader because I want to be in charge of the updates. Never trusted OTA's and absolutely want the ability to recover pretty much no matter what.
    From 2010 to now, I have never regretted rooting. After using the horrible software on the Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, I'm glad to be back in Pixel and rooting land again.