• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Rooting Zenfone 8

Search This thread

dohanin

Can you explain further on this? Are you saying to install the firmware to an unused slot? What exactly is an unused slot? I haven't seen anything like this in magisk.
Do you see the different installation methods after clicking "install"? I can see "Select and Patch a File", "Direct Install (Recommended)" and "Install to Inactive Slot (After OTA)". yunyou is referring to the last one.

Reactions: banannerz

yunyou

Oct 29, 2017
OnePlus 6
Google Pixel 3
你能进一步解释一下吗?您是说将固件安装到未使用的插槽中吗?什么是未使用的插槽?我还没有在 magisk 中看到过这样的东西。
Screenshot_20210807-074803.png

banannerz

Jan 14, 2011
Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact
Ah I see. I probably didn't see that before because I've only gone through the installation the initial time, so it was only showing me the first option.

And so what exactly is the benefit to doing this? It keeps root access without having to flash the device again?

banannerz

Jan 14, 2011
Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact
I understand there is no TWRP recovery for Zenfone 8 yet, but according to other posts, their are other ways to root the phone, e.g. using Magisk boot image patch method.

I tried, but I'm not able to flash the boot image in fastboot. I'm able to boot to fastboot mode, but it's showing no device when I use "fastboot devices" with USB connection. If I enter recovery mode, "adb devices" is showing unauthorized.

I don't know how to proceed. Appreciate your help!
So, I've ran into this issue on my last phone and it was a pain to figure out how to fix it. I just got my zenphone and ran into this issue as well. Switching from a USB C port to USB A port didn't help like it did with you. Fortunately, I had a pretty good idea of what to do this time.

In case you or anyone runs into this issue again and no other solutions are working, the definitive way to solve this problem is to install the drivers for the phone while it's in fastboot mode. The drivers used to communicate with the phone while the phone is on won't help when the phone is connected in fastboot mode.

You can get the phone drivers from the asus website under any phone's support page. For some reason they don't have a windows 10 version, but the windows 8 one worked fine for me.

Fortunately this guide also popped up just as I got my zenphone. To install the driver while the phone is in fastboot mode, first go to device manager and find the phone, it will probably be listed under "other devices". Right click to update the driver. From there, you can follow the last section of this guide "Manually install the driver for an unsupported device".

Updating the driver in this manner has worked flawlessly for me twice now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5tormChild

dohanin

Ah I see. I probably didn't see that before because I've only gone through the installation the initial time, so it was only showing me the first option.

And so what exactly is the benefit to doing this? It keeps root access without having to flash the device again?
Right, using the inactive slot method, u don't have to patch and flash the boot image manually.

banannerz

Jan 14, 2011
Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact
I found ota's solution. Download the "WW-30.11.51.67" firmware from the official website and move it to the main storage directory of the phone. Then the phone should detect the update file, but if the phone does not prompt, then try to restart the device. When the phone restarts and enters the system again, the system will detect the update, and there will be an update launcher notification in the notification bar!
When the system update interface is over, when prompted to restart, install to an unused slot through the Magisk option. Select the installation to keep ROOT to achieve seamless ota.
Worked perfectly, thanks :)

dohanin

dohanin

Hi all, you may have noticed safenet no longer passed just yesterday or today, so apps like google pay may detect your device is rooted. Luckily, this post has solved the problem:

You just need to install safetynet-fix-v1.2.0-MOD.zip. It works for me.

Freak07

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Can anyone confirm that Netflix actually work in HD after bootloader unlock, or even work at all straight out of the box?

"Similarly, you wouldn’t be able to stream Netflix content in HD as the Widevine Certification will be degraded from L1 to L3."

Quote from here (yes I know it says FLIP, still want to make sure) :-> https://www.getdroidtips.com/unlock-bootloader-asus-zenfone-8-flip/
Widevine stays L1 after bootloader unlocked.

You'll no longer receive OTAs from asus, but can easily install full firmware zips from asus website.

Depending on the country they might be able to refuse warranty. (They shouldn't be able to in the EU)

P3aK

May 30, 2012
Hmm, I'm having some difficulties with getting the patched image to flash.

fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img

gives this:

target reported max download size of 268435456 bytes
sending 'boot' (98304 KB)...
OKAY [ 3.097s]
writing 'boot'...
FAILED (remote: No such file or directory)
finished. total time: 3.113s

Where am I screwing this up?

dron39

Sep 20, 2009
Hmm, I'm having some difficulties with getting the patched image to flash.
Very strange...
Have you unlocked your BL with asus utility first?
You should have at least one OS load after that procedure I guess to format data and maybe some asus files/partitions.

P3aK

May 30, 2012
Yeah, I did the BL unlock and it tells me very clearly on boot that my files and phone and everything is scary and so forth.

All data was erased and I booted the phone to set it up and installed Magisk.
Transfered extracted boot.img and let Magisk do it's work.
Transfered patched boot.img to adb-folder and did: "adb devices" to see that phone was attached.

adb reboot fastboot, to reboot phone into fastboot mode.

did "fastboot devices" to make sure everything is connected in fastboot.

then: fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img

and the result is? "boot" doesn't exist? I'm stumped.

EDIT: Ok this is my fault. I used a VERY old installation of ADB and Fastboot that I guess couldn't be relied upon. I wiped and got new files and it worked on the first try. Thank you for your time! :)

Last edited:

P3aK

May 30, 2012
Ok, now that I finally got the patched boot flashed. Have root and added the safetynet-fix-v1.2.0-MOD.zip so I pass Safetynet....

I start up Netflix: "Please update to the latest version of Netflix app to proceed."
Press: OK
Opens up Play Store.... lo and behold: "This app is no longer compatible with your device. Contact the developers for more info."

FFS!!!! This is exactly what I didn't want!!!!

Help me. If this is working for you, tell me how I'm being stupid. Please!

EDIT: I'll answer my own question here.

Go to Settings, Apps & Notifications, See all apps.
Netflix, Storage & Cache.
Clear storage, clear cache.
Go back.
Disable Netflix
Go back.
Google Play Store, Storage & Cache
Go back.
Enable Netflix

In Magisk, go to Superuser (the sheild icon), MagiskHide, press Search icon, enable "Show System apps" and Show OS apps"
Find Netflix, hide Magisk for Netflix,

Now you can open Netflix app and follow the prompt to update the app in Google Play Store, and this time it will update and work,

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To get the boot image:
    1. Get the full firmware form Asus official site: (must get the same version as your current phone)
    https://www.asus.com/UK/supportonly/ZenFone 8 (ZS590KS)/HelpDesk_BIOS/
    2. Extract payload.bin from the zip file
    3. Use Payload Dumper to extract the img files, and you'll find boot.img
    note. their are some versions requiring to install Python on your PC. I found this one with executable:
    https://ava4.androidfilehost.com/dl...18474/2188818919693785372/Payload_Dumper.zip?
    4. Use Magisk to patch boot.img.

Hope this helps.

Please note after flashing the patched boot.img, your phone will be rooted but it fails safetynet. Have to install the module "safetynet-fix-v1.1.0.zip", then everything is fine.
    Do you mean you already tried this with Zenfone 8 OTA update after rooting? I did it with firmware "WW-30.11.51.67" and it's still the current one, so I don't know whether it would work or not.
    I found ota's solution. Download the "WW-30.11.51.67" firmware from the official website and move it to the main storage directory of the phone. Then the phone should detect the update file, but if the phone does not prompt, then try to restart the device. When the phone restarts and enters the system again, the system will detect the update, and there will be an update launcher notification in the notification bar!
    When the system update interface is over, when prompted to restart, install to an unused slot through the Magisk option. Select the installation to keep ROOT to achieve seamless ota.
    After opening the bootloader and rooting the phone, are there any disadvantages you discovered? Warning screen on boot, (banking) apps not working, etc.?
    Yes, there is a warning screen on boot. And yes, some banking apps I use can't be cheated by Magisk Hide, but I use Work profile (via Island) to work around it. So far so good.
    Ok, now that I finally got the patched boot flashed. Have root and added the safetynet-fix-v1.2.0-MOD.zip so I pass Safetynet....

I start up Netflix: "Please update to the latest version of Netflix app to proceed."
    Press: OK
    Opens up Play Store.... lo and behold: "This app is no longer compatible with your device. Contact the developers for more info."

FFS!!!! This is exactly what I didn't want!!!!

Help me. If this is working for you, tell me how I'm being stupid. Please!

EDIT: I'll answer my own question here.

Go to Settings, Apps & Notifications, See all apps.
    Netflix, Storage & Cache.
    Go back.
    Disable Netflix
    Go back.
    Google Play Store, Storage & Cache
    Go back.
    Enable Netflix

In Magisk, go to Superuser (the sheild icon), MagiskHide, press Search icon, enable "Show System apps" and Show OS apps"
    Find Netflix, hide Magisk for Netflix,

Now you can open Netflix app and follow the prompt to update the app in Google Play Store, and this time it will update and work,
    yes, it's showing L1 in Widevine CDM
    Thanks, great news that ASUS are not being dicks with the bootloader unlocking.

For anyone else who isn't too clear on the steps (like me!) - After patching the boot image with magisk you then can use adb to pull that image to a PC and then use adb reboot bootloader and then fastboot boot patched-image.img to check the rooting works without flashing anything and then use adb reboot bootloader again and then fastboot flash boot patched-image.img to write it to the flash memory if everything went smoothly. This worked for me and everything seems great. Obviously you need adb and fastboot set up on your PC for this to work. I'm not sure if this was the intended method but it is what I did.