• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Rooting

Search This thread

jobhax

Sep 11, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S21
What's everyone's view of rooting the pixel unlocked version? What features won't work? I know knox for samsung trips when unlocking. Is it the same concept with Pixels? My last device similar was a nexus 6 so yeah..

navalynt

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 12, 2009
Anchorage, AK
www.mikeandjessee.com
With Samsung, KNOX is a "fuse" that gets tripped so after you unlock the bootloader there's no going back. It'll forever know the bootloader has been unlocked at some point which messes with certain features (depending on make/model). With the Pixel phones you can flash the stock software and then re-lock the bootloader if you want. Once re-locked the OS sees the factory state and everything works as usual. Just make sure you've got the stock software flashed before you re-lock the bootloader or you risk bricking the device.

As a side note, with biometric security, make sure you've properly logged out of your Google account and removed all stored fingerprints or faces BEFORE you unlock. The unlocking process will wipe the device but your biometrics are still stored. If that happens you have to go through the setup process without biometrics and then perform a "proper" factory reset within the Android OS in order to get biometrics working again.

Of course the Pixel 5 is a new phone, so I'm giving this info based on currently released devices. There are always risks when you alter the factory state so be warned. There's a phrase my old boss used to use: "Pioneers take the arrows, settlers take the land." Not very PC but the underlying concept is sound.

Last edited:

kboya

Apr 25, 2010
I'll root asap. These days, I use it mainly for effective Adblock. The occasional app goes wonky, but it's a game of cat and mouse with safety-net.
YMMV etc

SteveYoungs

Mar 4, 2016
Brisbane
I'll root asap. These days, I use it mainly for effective Adblock. The occasional app goes wonky, but it's a game of cat and mouse with safety-net.
YMMV etc

The cat and mouse game is over, Google won. With hardware backed encrypted key negotiation it is no longer possible or feasible to beat. TNMTV (There's No Mileage To Vary)

That doesn't mean you can't root, just that there are consequences. For me, those consequences far outweigh any perceived benefit of having root access. I won't be rooting any more phones.

likepeas

Jul 26, 2008
The cat and mouse game is over, Google won. With hardware backed encrypted key negotiation it is no longer possible or feasible to beat. TNMTV (There's No Mileage To Vary)

That doesn't mean you can't root, just that there are consequences. For me, those consequences far outweigh any perceived benefit of having root access. I won't be rooting any more phones.

What's the best adblocker for a non-rooted phone right now?

Nightwish1976

Aug 9, 2011
Guys, since Android 9 you don't have to root in order to adblock. Just use the private DNS option together with something like nextdns.io . It's also battery efficient, since it's not a VPN.

kboya

Apr 25, 2010

We'll see what happens because, as you make clear when you include experiences, MAV (Mileage Always Varies).

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

Guys, since Android 9 you don't have to root in order to adblock. Just use the private DNS option together with something like nextdns.io . It's also battery efficient, since it's not a VPN.

True, but when I tried that after 9's release it wasn't particularly effective or at least not as effective as Adaway w Magisk's systemless solution. Maybe I'll give it another go on the P5.

saturday_night

Sep 7, 2016
What's the best adblocker for a non-rooted phone right now?

Blockada, but download the App from the developer Website (play store Version doesnt get Updates Quick)

Pixel 5 will be the first device i dont plan to unlock+root, most benefits of rooting are gone in the last years because they got baked into Android. For adblocking there is Blockada which is as good as rooted adblock. I dont need a custom rom with stock clean Android and monthly Updates anymore. For debloating you dont need root, just a PC so i am going to deactivate most Google Apps.

Last edited:

vandyman

Jul 30, 2012
S.Jersey

If you know what you are doing there is no issues with Android 11, Magisk and safety net.
I can still use Google Pay and my banking apps without modules and nonsense coding. Just use Magisk and that is it. Oh of course you will need to hide a few apps in the Magisk settings.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

jimv1983

Feb 28, 2011
Benicia, CA
One thing to keep in mind is warranty and insurance (if you have insurance) claims.

If you have to use the warranty or insurance and you are unable to revert to factory default then warranty and insurance claims will be a huge pain.

SteveYoungs

Mar 4, 2016
Brisbane

vandyman

Jul 30, 2012
S.Jersey
Anything is possible, we go through this year after year with new updates to the software.
Google has always aloud its devices to have an unlocked boot loader and to be developed.
I personally don't see Google closing down its development. If they do, they will be out of the phone business. Most peeps buy the Google device for the freedom of development. I for one would buy something different if I could not root anymore.
Now for other manufacturers, it is a lot harder for them because they have there own software for their hardware and it is not compatible with the Google OS.

Eudeferrer

Aug 27, 2012
Miami
Anything is possible, we go through this year after year with new updates to the software.
Google has always aloud its devices to have an unlocked boot loader and to be developed.
I personally don't see Google closing down its development. If they do, they will be out of the phone business. Most peeps buy the Google device for the freedom of development. I for one would buy something different if I could not root anymore.
Now for other manufacturers, it is a lot harder for them because they have there own software for their hardware and it is not compatible with the Google OS.

The Verizon versions of the Google Pixel 3Xl were locked down. I wouldn't say Giggle always allowed phones to be rooted. However, the ones sold by Google were rootable.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL

vandyman

Jul 30, 2012
S.Jersey
The Verizon versions of the Google Pixel 3Xl were locked down. I wouldn't say Giggle always allowed phones to be rooted. However, the ones sold by Google were rootable.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL
You are right. Verizon versions of Google devices will always be locked down.
If I remember correctly the last and only time that version allowed a Google unlocked device was a Samsung/Google Galaxy Nexus.

SteveYoungs

Mar 4, 2016
Brisbane

Hardware attestation does not prevent you from unlocking your boot loader, and it does not prevent you from rooting. What it does do is make passing Safetynet impossible if you are rooted, unlocked boot loader.

This is not something that will one day be worked around. The days of passing Safetynet on a rooted device are behind us.

vandyman

Jul 30, 2012
S.Jersey
Hardware attestation does not prevent you from unlocking your boot loader, and it does not prevent you from rooting. What it does do is make passing Safetynet impossible if you are rooted, unlocked boot loader.

This is not something that will one day be worked around. The days of passing Safetynet on a rooted device are behind us.
Nothing has changed yet! I still can use Gpay with Magisk and without any add on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I agree. Getting my new Pixel tomorrow and I have no experiences with rooting Google phones in general. Would be very kind if someone could post a detailed step by step guide on correctly rooting the Pixel 5. And possibly also how to do future OTA updates without loosing root and what to pay attention to in general. ? Thanks in advance!

And are there any disadvantages when changing the device ID to say a Pixel 3a to bypass the HW attestation?

Enable Developer mode in settings
    1. Open Settings App
    2. Move to About The Phone
    3. 7 Taps on the Build-Number

Enable OEM-Unlock in settings
    1. Go back to Main Menu of Settings
    2. move to system
    3. Unfold Extended
    4. Open Developer options
    5. Enable OEM-Unlock

If you go further, you should either have a clean phone or backup your data. Because if you unlock the bootloader, the entire phone will be wiped.

Reboot Phone in Fastboot
    1. Turn off Phone with long press on Power Button and click turn off
    2. Press Power Button + Lower Volume together for some seconds and you are in fastboot mode

Use Fastboot to unlock Phone
    If you don't have it download at first the needed adb and fastboot files for your system:
    https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools
    Extract it to a path where you want it.

1. Connect your P5 with your PC with an USB cable
    2. Open the path where you have extracted the adb tools.
    3. On Windows press Shift + Right click and in the context menu click on open commandline Window
    4. If you enter the following console command you should see an listed device about it's serial number:
      Code:
      fastboot devices
      If you get an empty result, you have to check if P5 is correct connected via usb and p5 is in fastboot mode (you see it onscreen)
      It could be that you have to install the usb drivers at first for recognizing it via fastboot.

If a Serial was listed in the Previous step, go further.

Enter the following command to start to unlocking your phone
    Code:
    fastboot flashing unlock

On your Phone you see a message to "not unlock your phone", with volume up you switch it to "unlock your phone". With the Power Button you accept it.
    It will reboot now and at this moment it wipes the entire phone, so you start again from scratch to configure the p5.

if you have a Pixel 5 without the KDDI Version, you can use the following boot image, which is already a prepatched boot image including magisk 21 (Build 21005).
    Download it at first:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/8ll4mlzt3l9njph/magisk_patched+Build+21005.img/file

Copy the img-file to the path where you had extracted the adb files.

After you have configured your phone so you can use it, turn off p5 again and go again into fastboot mode.
    Ensure your phone is connected via usb to the PC.

In the opened command line Window enter the following command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot "magisk_patched Build 21005.img"

After it finished you can reboot your phone into android system and you will see the magisk manager logo.

Open it and you should see magisk 21005 is installed, then you know root access is granted.

For Safetynet you have to do the following steps
    1. In Magisk Manager open settings gear.
    2. under Magisk enable MagiskHide
    3. Above MagiskHide is a menupoint called "Hide Magisk Manager", click on it, give the magisk manager a new name, click ok and wait until it's reopend.
    4. Go to main menu of the magisk manager. On bottom is a "shield icon" open it.
    5. Go to "MagiskHide"
    6. On Top is the item "Google Play Services" unfold it and set every hook on it.
    7. It's recommended to set the hook on every google Service you find.
    8. Go Back to main menu of magisk manager
    9. On Buttom you click the puzzle icon.
    10. On Buttom you see the search Icon, search for "MagiskH" and install the Module "MagiskHide Props Config"
    11. After finished installation reboot your P5.
    12. Either you install the "Terminal" via the Google Play Store or you activate USB debugging in the developer options and use the command "adb shell".
    13. the following Commands are for both ways
      Code:
      su
      props
      su for getting root access (you have to grant it) and props is the software for magiskhide Props.
      The following commands to set your P5 as an P3a with basic Authorization
      Code:
      2 + Enter
      f + Enter
      7 + Enter
      20 + Enter
      y + Enter
      y + Enter

After reboot check safetynet state in Magisk Manger, it should be OK.

Now you have a rooted phone and a valid safetynet.