Rooting

Search This thread

sidhaarthm

Mar 1, 2009
London, U.K.
For those who have received their Pixel 5 today, anyone unlocked their bootloader? I am aware we will need to wait until the factory ROM is released to actually root the device.

ridobe

Dec 20, 2010
Westfield, In.
Google Pixel 8 Pro
For those who have received their Pixel 5 today, anyone unlocked their bootloader? I am aware we will need to wait until the factory ROM is released to actually root the device.
You're right. I'd go ahead and unlock the bootloader but to your point, I'd wait to root. Today is release day everywhere but the US. I guess we have to wait until the 29th for the image drop?

sidhaarthm

Mar 1, 2009
London, U.K.
You're right. I'd go ahead and unlock the bootloader but to your point, I'd wait to root. Today is release day everywhere but the US. I guess we have to wait until the 29th for the image drop?

I've already unlocked the bootloader and set up the device to my liking. So once the stock images drop, I don't need to clean wipe storage ? Not sure when the images will be released though. Surely Google won't make us wait till the November update? On a side note, loving the silky smooth experience of the Pixel 5 so far. Display is absolutely gorgeous and the size is just right. I am extremely happy for the 4-5 hours I've used my phone :eek:

sacredsoul

Feb 17, 2007
Singapore
If you unlock the bootloader, does it trip SafetyNet?

Also, other than to root, is there any reason to unlock the BL? For custom recoveries and ROMs I believe?

M94pok

Apr 16, 2020
5g android phone with no hardware attestation

So, I've just brought a pixel 5, it's being delivered today, however I was totally unaware of this hardware attestation crap that they're pushing on pixels. Are there any 5g phones out there that do not have this hardware attestation and which do you guys reccomend?

I love the pixel but I need a root, unless there's a way to enable the following on an unrooted pixel?

Call recording
JamesDSP
System wide ad blocking.

If I can get them three things to work on P5 without rooting, that would be the dream scenario.. many thanks in advance ?

jaythenut

Sep 6, 2012
So, I've just brought a pixel 5, it's being delivered today, however I was totally unaware of this hardware attestation crap that they're pushing on pixels. Are there any 5g phones out there that do not have this hardware attestation and which do you guys reccomend?

I love the pixel but I need a root, unless there's a way to enable the following on an unrooted pixel?

Call recording
JamesDSP
System wide ad blocking.

If I can get them three things to work on P5 without rooting, that would be the dream scenario.. many thanks in advance ?

It's not adaway but works ok with no root will do for now

https://blokada.org/index.html

ridobe

Dec 20, 2010
Westfield, In.
Google Pixel 8 Pro
If you unlock the bootloader, does it trip SafetyNet?

Also, other than to root, is there any reason to unlock the BL? For custom recoveries and ROMs I believe?
I don't mess with custom recoveries any more, and I can get around having root (would prefer not to have to) but I unlock the bootloader and flash the monthly full images every month manually. I have never taken an ota. Much cleaner and gives me a safety net.

den_zel

May 3, 2018
Google Pay. It's not a big deal for me, I only used it for vending machines anyway.
Custom Roms maybe, I really don't know. I have not used a Custom rom since Android 7.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

OK, that doesn't sound like a bad deal. I anyway don't use Google Pay and also didn't use custom roms since a lot of companies are close to stock android.
So I guess I would prefer the advantages of rooting above using Google Pay.

Change my mind

M94pok

Apr 16, 2020
Tested flashing with latest magisk canary and it doesn't even pass the Google logo so might need to wait a bit

At least that's when I tried, maybe others will have better results?

Fingers crossed! Please let me know if you have any luck! I was so excited when I seen that the images were on the Google site ?

John Markley

Dec 6, 2010

dirtyreturn

Aug 14, 2011
Nexus 7
Huawei Nexus 6P

Call recording

JamesDSP

System wide ad blocking.

If I can get them three things to work on P5 without rooting, that would be the dream scenario.. many thanks in advance [emoji106]
I think it was posted here already, but, under the network options in settings there's the option for private dns.

A service that's come in handy for me is NextDNS.io . AND, for unlimited dns queries it's just 1.99 per month.

I'm just thinking here, but, call recording https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.skvalex.cr

This app might work without root. IM not sure though.

And system wide volume increase in not sure.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

YandereSan

Sep 1, 2013
Just to be sure, will unlocking BL and thus tripping SafetyNet disable SafetyNet for protection from malicious apps/traffic, or just result in the warning message at boot-up?

SafetyNet doesn't protect you against anything. You're thinking of Play Protect, which is hardly reliable as there is tons of malware on the Play Store. Only common sense will protect you.

Tested flashing with latest magisk canary and it doesn't even pass the Google logo so might need to wait a bit

At least that's when I tried, maybe others will have better results?

It's progress. Before the phone was released, I wasn't even able to patch the boot image.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I agree. Getting my new Pixel tomorrow and I have no experiences with rooting Google phones in general. Would be very kind if someone could post a detailed step by step guide on correctly rooting the Pixel 5. And possibly also how to do future OTA updates without loosing root and what to pay attention to in general. ? Thanks in advance!

And are there any disadvantages when changing the device ID to say a Pixel 3a to bypass the HW attestation?

Enable Developer mode in settings
    1. Open Settings App
    2. Move to About The Phone
    3. 7 Taps on the Build-Number

Enable OEM-Unlock in settings
    1. Go back to Main Menu of Settings
    2. move to system
    3. Unfold Extended
    4. Open Developer options
    5. Enable OEM-Unlock

If you go further, you should either have a clean phone or backup your data. Because if you unlock the bootloader, the entire phone will be wiped.

Reboot Phone in Fastboot
    1. Turn off Phone with long press on Power Button and click turn off
    2. Press Power Button + Lower Volume together for some seconds and you are in fastboot mode

Use Fastboot to unlock Phone
    If you don't have it download at first the needed adb and fastboot files for your system:
    https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools
    Extract it to a path where you want it.

1. Connect your P5 with your PC with an USB cable
    2. Open the path where you have extracted the adb tools.
    3. On Windows press Shift + Right click and in the context menu click on open commandline Window
    4. If you enter the following console command you should see an listed device about it's serial number:
      Code:
      fastboot devices
      If you get an empty result, you have to check if P5 is correct connected via usb and p5 is in fastboot mode (you see it onscreen)
      It could be that you have to install the usb drivers at first for recognizing it via fastboot.

If a Serial was listed in the Previous step, go further.

Enter the following command to start to unlocking your phone
    Code:
    fastboot flashing unlock

On your Phone you see a message to "not unlock your phone", with volume up you switch it to "unlock your phone". With the Power Button you accept it.
    It will reboot now and at this moment it wipes the entire phone, so you start again from scratch to configure the p5.

if you have a Pixel 5 without the KDDI Version, you can use the following boot image, which is already a prepatched boot image including magisk 21 (Build 21005).
    Download it at first:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/8ll4mlzt3l9njph/magisk_patched+Build+21005.img/file

Copy the img-file to the path where you had extracted the adb files.

After you have configured your phone so you can use it, turn off p5 again and go again into fastboot mode.
    Ensure your phone is connected via usb to the PC.

In the opened command line Window enter the following command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot "magisk_patched Build 21005.img"

After it finished you can reboot your phone into android system and you will see the magisk manager logo.

Open it and you should see magisk 21005 is installed, then you know root access is granted.

For Safetynet you have to do the following steps
    1. In Magisk Manager open settings gear.
    2. under Magisk enable MagiskHide
    3. Above MagiskHide is a menupoint called "Hide Magisk Manager", click on it, give the magisk manager a new name, click ok and wait until it's reopend.
    4. Go to main menu of the magisk manager. On bottom is a "shield icon" open it.
    5. Go to "MagiskHide"
    6. On Top is the item "Google Play Services" unfold it and set every hook on it.
    7. It's recommended to set the hook on every google Service you find.
    8. Go Back to main menu of magisk manager
    9. On Buttom you click the puzzle icon.
    10. On Buttom you see the search Icon, search for "MagiskH" and install the Module "MagiskHide Props Config"
    11. After finished installation reboot your P5.
    12. Either you install the "Terminal" via the Google Play Store or you activate USB debugging in the developer options and use the command "adb shell".
    13. the following Commands are for both ways
      Code:
      su
      props
      su for getting root access (you have to grant it) and props is the software for magiskhide Props.
      The following commands to set your P5 as an P3a with basic Authorization
      Code:
      2 + Enter
      f + Enter
      7 + Enter
      20 + Enter
      y + Enter
      y + Enter

After reboot check safetynet state in Magisk Manger, it should be OK.

Now you have a rooted phone and a valid safetynet.