Rotate screen application

Search This thread

lextendo

Mar 16, 2007
Paramaribo
Since I couldn't find it anywhere else I just made it myself :p

My Hermes allows me to rotate the screen using a hardware button assignment or using the HTC Home plugin. Using a 'touchflo'-like application -with no hardware button to spare- it was annoying going back to my today-screen to rotate the screen.

It turned out the Compact Framework 2.0 has this nice class which would do the trick: Microsoft.WindowsCE.Forms.SystemSettings.ScreenOrientation
So I "wrote" exactly 10 lines of code (including class/function def) to rotate my screen.

Anyone interested: download and install the cab.

+ Does not remain in memory: rotates the screen and exits
+ Now you can create a shortcut to rotate the screen
+ tested on a Hermes (TyTN)

- Requires Compact Framework 2.0 (should be default for Windows Mobile 6.0)
- CF is a huge overhead when only needed for this program, but I'm to lazy to go for the API call (ChangeDisplaySettingsEx)
- No settings: rotates 90 degrees counter clockwise (or 90 degrees clockwise with the Rotate Screen CW cab) -on my TyTN it matches the screen setting when the keyboard slides out-
- Icon is but-ugly ;)
- Not tested on other hardware, but I expect the worst thing that could happen is a frozen device which will work nicely after a soft-reset. My expectation is based on the fact it's a CF 'call' and not an API call, therefore it does not write to memory locations directly.

Use 'as is'.
I might be tempted to add 'settings' if people actually would use the program and have requests...
When installed on other devices: a message would be appreciated (even if is doesn't work)

Last edited:

freakflow

Aug 23, 2007
I would use this. But except for wiring it to a hardbutton, can you make it (maybe as a setting) to have it go into landscape mode when opening New SMS and then back to portrait when SMS is sent?

I also posted this in another thread but maybe this one is more appropriate.

Thanks

saenzjoseph

Jan 10, 2007
It does work on the Mogul/PPC-6800. Rotates the screen 270° Why wouldn't you just create a mortscript file to do this the only line that you would need is
Code:
Rotate(270)

salahnajm

Jul 10, 2007
rotating

i don't know if this can be done or not, but if touchflo can have a rotate recognition (similar to HTC album where u can rotate a picture) and use this to rotate the screen in the direction u want to :rolleyes: what do u think... is this smtg one should ask efrost?

saenzjoseph

Jan 10, 2007
Is this in reference to my post or the original?

No. But you can have a script that rotates 270° or 90°(landscape) and then opens the SMS app and when it closes the SMS app it rotates back to 0°(portrait). It would read something like this. But im not sure that you can assign it only to the creation of a new message

Code:
Rotate(270)
Runwait( "type the path of your SMS application here" )
Rotate(0)

lextendo

Mar 16, 2007
Paramaribo
Why wouldn't you just create a mortscript file to do this the only line that you would need is
Code:
Rotate(270)
Mortscript is a great tool, but it requires some scripting-knowledge to get it working. A small app is easier to install for most people.
But I agree mortscript is the better option if you want a "rotate-start app-rotate back" sequence :D
This small app is just because of my frustration Microsoft didn't give me a "rotates screen"-shortcut.

SGH-i200

Aug 31, 2009
Works with SGH-i200 (WM6.1)

Since I couldn't find it anywhere else I just made it myself :p

Tanks you for this app! :)

It works with my SGH-i200 (WM6.1)!

The "i320 rotation app" is faster than your "Rotate screen" application but needs more clicks to get back to normal...

So I will use your "Rotate screen CW.cab"! :)

I have been looking to do the same thing for some time now. i found that it's a registry value so my thinking is that it must be possible to create a script or app that can change this value but i have yet to find one.

the reg key and values are:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\ROTATION]

Change the Value of "Angle" to the
dword:00000000 or dword:00000360 -> Portrait Mode
dword:00000090 -> Landscape(Right-Handed)
dword:00000180 -> Portrait Up-side Down
dword:00000270 -> Landscape (Left-Handed)

Last edited:

SGH-i200

Aug 31, 2009
Rotating with MortScript is real comfortable!

...a script that rotates 270° or 90°(landscape) and then opens the SMS app and when it closes the SMS app it rotates back to 0°(portrait). It would read something like this.

Code:
Rotate(270)
Runwait( "type the path of your SMS application here" )
Rotate(0)

Thanks saenzjoseph!

If you have installed MortScript you only need one line to rotate! :D

Code:
Rotate(270)

And back:
Code:
Rotate(0)

Last edited:

SGH-i200

Aug 31, 2009

Attachments