• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RS988][ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 14.1 [06/15]

What ROMs would you like to see in addition to LineageOS?

• AOSPA (Paranoid Android)

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Android Ice Cold Project (AICP)

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • OmniROM

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • OwnROM

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • AospExtended

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
Search This thread

NextDroid

Dec 25, 2013
logo-2.png

Your warranty is now void.

I am neither responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
thermonuclear war, nor you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
before flashing it! You alone are choosing to make these modifications.

If you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I won't laugh at you, but I'll try to work with you to fix it.

Thank you Rashed97 for your RS988 device tree!

This is an unofficial LineageOS 14.1 ROM for the LG G5 RS988 . This is my first ROM, so things may go awry, but I haven't seen much evidence for that yet.

Working:
Brightness
Cameras
Fingerprint reader
Flashlight
Microphone (calling w/ Google Voice/Hangouts seems to work--that's what I use)
LED
Wi-Fi
Wi-Fi Hotspot
Quick Charge (users are reporting faster-than-stock speeds. I have experienced this as well)
Video recording (thanks @T3MPEST)

Not Working:
NFC, which includes Google Pay, etc. (thanks @-lukin-)
Loud static noise when using BT devices in calls (thanks @goast)
GPS — issues locking location while using Google Maps, etc.
Buggy media codecs preventing proper music playback; use third-party music players instead (thanks @LucklessCebu)
Audio recording (both pre-installed and third-party app) Working as of 3/10
Battery charging animation missing; "loops" LG logo (thanks @mattintoronto) Working as of 3/10

In The Works:
FM Radio Radio is apparently not included in any of the U.S. variants :(
Magisk Working w/ flashable .zip
Substratum Theme Engine Development on LineageOMS is currently inactive

Downloads:
I make direct links whenever possible for those of you with download managers.

20180615: MD5: db6f5cae64311f74425de7dff4f13dda
Updates: 5 June security patch, upstream Lineage updates
Android File Host

20180415: MD5: 1315911cb5c4bb875c2d1ab1b9eaa8ac
Updates: Security patch updates, upstream Lineage updates
Android File Host

20180327: MD5: e492de44bb789121916b22353a436dcc
Updated Lineage sources. Fixes double-tap to wake, screen tearing, etc.
Android File Host

20180310: MD5: 10b5c19def693e83203d5d8e07358ba6
Updates: Switched to current Lineage sources, which should fix a lot of things. Clean install will be necessary.
Android File Host

20180204: MD5: da2b6a9cd9265177566470aab2bc3aa0
I have been developer-approved! I have removed the Google Drive links in favor of Android File Host.
Android File Host

XDA:DevDB Information
[RS988][ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 14.1, ROM for the LG G5

Contributors
NextDroid, Rashed97
Source Code: https://github.com/imasaru/android_device_lge_rs988

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Firmware Required: Bootloader Unlocked, Latest TWRP installed
Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2018-02-04
Last Updated 2018-06-18

Last edited:

NextDroid

Dec 25, 2013
Darn it @goast! I was just about to make another "reserved" post! Haha, just kidding. It's fine :)

I'll test my headphones right now and report back.

EDIT: It seems to work. Playback and the microphone on my BT headphones work.

Last edited:

goast

Aug 18, 2012
Hinesville, Ga
Darn it @goast! I was just about to make another "reserved" post! Haha.

I'm sorry bro so everything I tested works. Bluetooth during call didn't. I have to use for work. So I restored my stock backup. I know this is a long standing upstream issue. Caller complained of loud scratching sounds during call.

If you need anymore info or anything for testing pm me and I'll respond

Last edited:

NextDroid

Dec 25, 2013
I'm sorry bro so everything I tested works. Bluetooth during call didn't. I have to use for work. So I restored my stock backup. I know this is a long standing upstream issue. Caller complained of loud scratching sounds during call.

If you need anymore info or anything for testing pm me and I'll respond

Alright! Thanks.

SuperQvas

Jun 26, 2012
Wy Wi-Fi is not woking

After flashing this Rom, my wi-fi is not working any longer. It turns on, but it won't connect.
Any Ideas?

edit: I am in Europe so I guess that's the deal... I'll flash another one

Last edited:

NextDroid

Dec 25, 2013
After flashing this Rom, my wi-fi is not working any longer. It turns on, but it won't connect.
Any Ideas?

Hm. I assume they use different frequencies 2.4/5GHz band for their wireless networks along? I'm not too sure.

Here in the U.S., WiFi works for me on the 5GHz band.

Adding to main post.

Last edited:
Reactions: goast

goast

Aug 18, 2012
Hinesville, Ga
Hm. I assume they use different frequencies 2.4/5GHz band for their wireless networks along? I'm not too sure.

Here in the U.S., WiFi works for me on the 5GHz band.

Adding to main post.
I say I know I didn't look but all the other cm or aosp rooms had it too
Probably could be fixed but I know nothing about how to do it.

Edit: pmed u

Last edited:

rahuldg

Dec 29, 2010
Finally some light for RS988

Darn it @goast! I was just about to make another "reserved" post! Haha, just kidding. It's fine :)

Finally, someone is taking efforts to port ROM to this device.
Thanks @NextDroid
Will try out this rom coming weekend.
More keen on the battery performance.

Reactions: -lukin-

NextDroid

Dec 25, 2013
Finally, someone is taking efforts to port ROM to this device.
Thanks @NextDroid
Will try out this rom coming weekend.
More keen on the battery performance.

Thank you!

Speaking of battery performance, I made this observation about an hour ago and was just about to post on it.

So I tried @waau 's Typhon kernel (M5 RC1) for RS988 earlier today to see whether it would work with this build of LOS. I found that Bluetooth would not work properly (as I wrote in the main post).

Thus I decided to return back to the 3.18 kernel that was built with LOS. I didn't have a .zip or an .img handy, so I reflashed the ROM to get the kernel and my Bluetooth back.

My phone was on low battery a while ago at 13%, and so I connected the charger and did something else for five minutes or so. When I got back, it was at 22%! I opened up Ampere to find something interesting... (attached photo)

Is this a feature of the stock kernel or did my reflashing "overlay" Typhon and keep Quick Charge from it? It would be nice to retest pure stock and see what happens (@goast?)

Either way, this is definitely a win-win.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180205-024640.png
    Screenshot_20180205-024640.png
    215.4 KB · Views: 771

goast

Aug 18, 2012
Hinesville, Ga
Thank you!

Speaking of battery performance, I made this observation about an hour ago and was just about to post on it.

So I tried @waau 's Typhon kernel (M5 RC1) for RS988 earlier today to see whether it would work with this build of LOS. I found that Bluetooth would not work properly (as I wrote in the main post).

Thus I decided to return back to the 3.18 kernel that was built with LOS. I didn't have a .zip or an .img handy, so I reflashed the ROM to get the kernel and my Bluetooth back.

My phone was on low battery a while ago at 13%, and so I connected the charger and did something else for five minutes or so. When I got back, it was at 22%! I opened up Ampere to find something interesting... (attached photo)

Is this a feature of the stock kernel or did my reflashing "overlay" Typhon and keep Quick Charge from it? It would be nice to retest pure stock and see what happens (@goast?)

Either way, this is definitely a win-win.

Those two things were broken on other devices before Typhon was made. I'd be willing to guess it some artifacts left over from Typhon. Maybe someone else can elaborate

jungle35

Jul 16, 2017
first custom rom i've tried on my RS988 that has worked so far. i am very impressed at the results. it just feels a lot quicker than stock nougat. sure as hell helps to not have 345830 pre-installed bloatware garbage apps.

also, my charging speed is a lot faster than stock nougat as well! normally accubattery shows my charge speed capping out at 2,480mA and right now on LineageOS i am capping out at 3,010 mA ! at that speed I could go from a dead battery to 100 percent in one hour. incredibly impressive. i don't use NFC at all and barely use bluetooth so i haven't bothered to test those things yet. so far everything else works for me. FANTASTIC WORK!

Reactions: NextDroid

NextDroid

Dec 25, 2013
first custom rom i've tried on my RS988 that has worked so far. i am very impressed at the results. it just feels a lot quicker than stock nougat. sure as hell helps to not have 345830 pre-installed bloatware garbage apps.

also, my charging speed is a lot faster than stock nougat as well! normally accubattery shows my charge speed capping out at 2,480mA and right now on LineageOS i am capping out at 3,010 mA ! at that speed I could go from a dead battery to 100 percent in one hour. incredibly impressive. i don't use NFC at all and barely use bluetooth so i haven't bothered to test those things yet. so far everything else works for me. FANTASTIC WORK!

Well this is great news! Thank you for trying this out :) I'm glad it's working out!

@goast Maybe this is an indication that this is the Lineage kernel and not Typhon. Now that I think about it, the kernel is compiled at buildtime into a single file, which is stored in the boot partition. I doubt that it is a system of directories that could have some files overwritten.

Also, I think I see the BT calling problem you were talking about. I attempted to make a recording with both the preinstalled Recorder and a third-party app and I got static. When I made a call over Wi-Fi using Hangouts, though, I had no issues.

Also, final thing: have any of you tried to flash a Magisk .zip or SuperSU? I have tried countless times but have not had any success :/

Reactions: goast

jungle35

Jul 16, 2017
Well this is great news! Thank you for trying this out :) I'm glad it's working out!

@goast Maybe this is an indication that this is the Lineage kernel and not Typhon. Now that I think about it, the kernel is compiled at buildtime into a single file, which is stored in the boot partition. I doubt that it is a system of directories that could have some files overwritten.

Also, I think I see the BT calling problem you were talking about. I attempted to make a recording with both the preinstalled Recorder and a third-party app and I got static. When I made a call over Wi-Fi using Hangouts, though, I had no issues.

Also, final thing: have any of you tried to flash a Magisk .zip or SuperSU? I have tried countless times but have not had any success :/

I think it is LineageOS itself in regards to the quick charge. I went from stock Nougat -> flashed the stock Nougat 21c build for RS988's via TWRP -> flashed LineageOS and from the first time booting up into LineageOS the quick charge was working already. It won't tell you it's quick charging in the notifications the same way stock Android does, but if you monitor it with Accubattery or a similar app you will see the charge rate is definitely quick charge.

In regards to Magisk, that is how I am rooted right now. Using the patched bootloader method caused me to boot loop so I just flashed Magisk 15.3 via TWRP then installed Magisk Manager and it worked perfectly. No problems with root at all and all the apps I've tried so far that required root access have worked. I am really really liking this setup a lot. Overall this is much faster for me than stock Android was due to how many bloatware apps LG included by default.

Will continue to test it out during my day to day use and see if I come across any problems. Once again, great work @NextDroid !!

goast

Aug 18, 2012
Hinesville, Ga

Cool. If you can get me a log of the issue I can pass it along if you can't figure out a solution

If you think you have one and run a test build let me know too lol

Reactions: NextDroid

monza1412

Jun 25, 2014
Google Pixel 4
First off all, thanks for your work, this is a big step in having more roms developed since a couple of them follow the lineage branch.

I'm not a dev so probably this is just a stupid idea, but seeing that the main problems for the bugs appears to be the base kernel, maybe something can be ported from the LG V20 kernel in order to fix those problems since both phones share mainly the same specifications and the V20 has official lineage branch.
Also maybe check the wifi/bluetooh drivers in custom V20 kernels for lineage.
My previous phone was a motorola verizon droid turbo, and a lot of its development was thanks to the nexus 6, and moto x repository.

Just a thought.

de_hammer

Jun 6, 2014
Any Ideas?

I know i had trouble connecting to my 5GHz wifi at home until I set my router to only use one channel. Currently its using channel 36, and its been working just fine ever since i changed that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    logo-2.png

Your warranty is now void.

I am neither responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    thermonuclear war, nor you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    before flashing it! You alone are choosing to make these modifications.

If you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I won't laugh at you, but I'll try to work with you to fix it.

Thank you Rashed97 for your RS988 device tree!

This is an unofficial LineageOS 14.1 ROM for the LG G5 RS988 . This is my first ROM, so things may go awry, but I haven't seen much evidence for that yet.

Working:
    Brightness
    Cameras
    Fingerprint reader
    Flashlight
    Microphone (calling w/ Google Voice/Hangouts seems to work--that's what I use)
    LED
    Wi-Fi
    Wi-Fi Hotspot
    Quick Charge (users are reporting faster-than-stock speeds. I have experienced this as well)
    Video recording (thanks @T3MPEST)

Not Working:
    NFC, which includes Google Pay, etc. (thanks @-lukin-)
    Loud static noise when using BT devices in calls (thanks @goast)
    GPS — issues locking location while using Google Maps, etc.
    Buggy media codecs preventing proper music playback; use third-party music players instead (thanks @LucklessCebu)
    Audio recording (both pre-installed and third-party app) Working as of 3/10
    Battery charging animation missing; "loops" LG logo (thanks @mattintoronto) Working as of 3/10

In The Works:
    FM Radio Radio is apparently not included in any of the U.S. variants :(
    Magisk Working w/ flashable .zip
    Substratum Theme Engine Development on LineageOMS is currently inactive

Downloads:
    I make direct links whenever possible for those of you with download managers.

20180615: MD5: db6f5cae64311f74425de7dff4f13dda
    Updates: 5 June security patch, upstream Lineage updates
    Android File Host

20180415: MD5: 1315911cb5c4bb875c2d1ab1b9eaa8ac
    Updates: Security patch updates, upstream Lineage updates
    Android File Host

20180327: MD5: e492de44bb789121916b22353a436dcc
    Updated Lineage sources. Fixes double-tap to wake, screen tearing, etc.
    Android File Host

20180310: MD5: 10b5c19def693e83203d5d8e07358ba6
    Updates: Switched to current Lineage sources, which should fix a lot of things. Clean install will be necessary.
    Android File Host

20180204: MD5: da2b6a9cd9265177566470aab2bc3aa0
    I have been developer-approved! I have removed the Google Drive links in favor of Android File Host.
    Android File Host

XDA:DevDB Information
    [RS988][ROM][UNOFFICIAL] LineageOS 14.1, ROM for the LG G5

Contributors
    NextDroid, Rashed97
    Source Code: https://github.com/imasaru/android_device_lge_rs988

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Firmware Required: Bootloader Unlocked, Latest TWRP installed
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2018-02-04
    Last Updated 2018-06-18
    And whichever device gets it first, I will be sure to update Lineage for the fix :)

I may get time to sort out Lineage this Easter weekend. I have some ideas for sorting out the problems, and perhaps some new inclusions as well. Then again, it will be one of my busiest weeks for the whole year, so fingers crossed!

That went pretty well. New 03/27 build notably fixes screen tearing, double-tap-to-wake, and others. I need to sleep. :eek:

EDIT: Sorry about the dating, everyone. I made my last post and renamed this thread two days ahead (29th) of what it should've been (27th). This shows how tired I must've been ^^;
    First off all, thanks for your work, this is a big step in having more roms developed since a couple of them follow the lineage branch.

I'm not a dev so probably this is just a stupid idea, but seeing that the main problems for the bugs appears to be the base kernel, maybe something can be ported from the LG V20 kernel in order to fix those problems since both phones share mainly the same specifications and the V20 has official lineage branch.
    Also maybe check the wifi/bluetooh drivers in custom V20 kernels for lineage.
    My previous phone was a motorola verizon droid turbo, and a lot of its development was thanks to the nexus 6, and moto x repository.

Just a thought.
    Hey this is definitely the best ROM at the moment for the LG G5 RS988. There's Paranoid Android and Resurrection Remix, but they haven't been updated in 4-6 months and I have signal issues with them on Verizon Wireless (LTE drops and I lose access to the APN settings, toggling airplane mode or radio on/off fixes this temporarily for 1 hour or so). This ROM also has the February 2018 security patch, so Spectre, Meltdown, and KRACK are patched.

What works on the 03/10/2018 (MM/DD/YYYY) build from here:
    WiFi, Flashlight, Microphone recording (in app and video), adaptive brightness, camera*, video recording*, "stock" LineageOS Snap camera, fingerprint sensor, led light, quick charge, *Bluetooth? (can't test it)

Not working:
    Double tap to wake, Live Display, *camera focus doesn't work (use the Typhon M5-RC1 kernel to fix this), NFC* (it soft-bricked other LOS 14.1 based ROMs when toggling it, so not going to test it), the screen is somewhat flickery but not always, image ghosting (it's definitely more noticeable on non-stock ROMs for some reason, yes my display is damaged but still OEM)

The Typhon kernel is amazing, but now discontinued, hopefully someone can update it... the mk2000 kernel is also good but it's only for stock.

I would like to see some of these ROMs for this variant: Carbon ROM, AICP, Resurrection Remix, and CrDroid.

The LG G5 H830 (T-Mobile) variant is confirmed to get the Oreo update: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-37249 This also confirms "all" LG G5, V20, G6, and V30 models will get Android Oreo: http://news.softpedia.com/news/confirmed-lg-g5-lg-g6-lg-v20-lg-v30-and-lg-v30-plus-getting-android-8-oreo-soon-520137.shtml

If we get Treble support for the H830, H850, and RS988 (with bootloader unlock) that would make custom ROMs easier to make. I don't count on this happening at all though. But LG's Korean tech support has confirmed this with higherups, however beta updates won't come with treble.

I think it is LineageOS itself in regards to the quick charge. I went from stock Nougat -> flashed the stock Nougat 21c build for RS988's via TWRP -> flashed LineageOS and from the first time booting up into LineageOS the quick charge was working already. It won't tell you it's quick charging in the notifications the same way stock Android does, but if you monitor it with Accubattery or a similar app you will see the charge rate is definitely quick charge.

In regards to Magisk, that is how I am rooted right now. Using the patched bootloader method caused me to boot loop so I just flashed Magisk 15.3 via TWRP then installed Magisk Manager and it worked perfectly. No problems with root at all and all the apps I've tried so far that required root access have worked. I am really really liking this setup a lot. Overall this is much faster for me than stock Android was due to how many bloatware apps LG included by default.

Will continue to test it out during my day to day use and see if I come across any problems. Once again, great work @NextDroid !!