Question Rugged Tab S8 Ultra case with magic cover

Search This thread

FerretallicA

Jul 15, 2005
For those like me with the Ultra model who want a good case but not a piece of s%^~ kickstand or overpriced low quality keyboard case, I've asked Spigen about their Rugged Armor Pro like this:

They are planning to release their Tab S8 Ultra cases in May. So if like me you've been on the fence about settling for a garbage cover, hang on there a few more weeks.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
No rugged one yet but they've got a thin one now. Pricey, but thinking about it. Nice: "*Compatible with Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra Book Cover Keyboard*". Also "*Attachable side protection only for tablet mode*".

I wish they would have a dummy plug built-in for the charging port. There is at least one case that does, but the whole thing wouldn't work with a Book Cover Keyboard.

Last edited:

FerretallicA

Jul 15, 2005
Not happy... after a complete lack of communication about the S8 Tab covers by mailing list, Twitter, Instagram etc, I asked again what is up and this time got:

"Currently, we do not have definite plans to release a Rugged Armor case compatible with the Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra at the moment
However, we will definitely consider your interest and pass it along to our developers! Thank you for the suggestion."

The ****ty case options are enough to regret buying this thing. Should have just stuck with the S7+

AndreyKnd

Jan 12, 2011
Moscow
Not happy... after a complete lack of communication about the S8 Tab covers by mailing list, Twitter, Instagram etc, I asked again what is up and this time got:

"Currently, we do not have definite plans to release a Rugged Armor case compatible with the Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra at the moment
However, we will definitely consider your interest and pass it along to our developers! Thank you for the suggestion."

The ****ty case options are enough to regret buying this thing. Should have just stuck with the S7+
I think this is just about timing - if Samsung continues releasing 14.6" tablets, Spigen and other companies will release relevant covers. BTW, haven't you considered SUPCASE for S8U? https://www.supcase.com/collections/galaxy-tab-s

• Wow

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I think this is just about timing - if Samsung continues releasing 14.6" tablets, Spigen and other companies will release relevant covers. BTW, haven't you considered SUPCASE for S8U? https://www.supcase.com/collections/galaxy-tab-s
Oh wow. If I could still connect the Keyboard with the tablet with that case on it, I'd definitely go for it. I like the port-protector, plus it makes it easier to find the USB-C port without scratching the side of the tablet up.

FerretallicA

Jul 15, 2005
I've bought one and it also sits gathering dust for three reasons.

1. I want a physical cover that can also protect the paper feel / textured screen films that I use. Even if I was willing to compromise and put the film over the screen protector, the loss in pen sensitivity becomes significant.

2. I prefer the angle options the Spigen folding cover gives to the kick stand approach.

3. The pen holders are too tight to fit the Staedler Norris fat stylus securely. The Spigen cases are designed in a way which is much more accommodating of different stylus sizes.

I also bought a Fintie case which is more like "magic cover" style but it's flimsy crap with magnets so weak they don't even stay secure under the weight of the cover let alone with the tablet in it. The official Samsung kickstand case is what I'm using for now but yeah, I'm selling the tablet either way and going back to a Plus.

In many ways such a nice tablet, but I guess it's a niche market. A high end oversized relatively heavy tablet suited more to staying inside an office or maybe commute between home and work might be part of the reason for lack of good rugged case options, especially when it competes against the keyboard cover functionality.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Ergh. Was considering getting the Spigen for the Ultra - it's even much cheaper on Amazon right now, but there is only one user rating, and it's 1 out of 5:
I was really glad that I found this one that is similar to the Samsung genuine case and lighter weight but compatible with keyboard as well. However, after a day of use, I started to find critical down sides and there are 2.
1. There is magnet that doesn't compatible with Gal' Tab S8 Ultra and that interrupt S-pen recognition. This is really critical if you are trying to write at the spot where the magnet is...
2. This is much more critical... on the second day, the tablet was malfunctioning that the screen doesn't turn on properly. It turns on after several time of clicking the power button or double taping the screen. However, that only last for 1 sec. I can't do anything because it keeps turns off. First I thought something broken. However, as soon as I take off from the case, it works fine. So, I tried put my tablet on the back of the case. As soon as it contacted the case, the screen went out and doing the same thing. It is breaking my tablet.
I love Spigen. I used their brand ever since I had iPhone3GS... However.. this product is very disappointed.

Too bad. I did find some attachable USB-C dust plugs, though, I'm considering trying. A different one on Amazon had at least one negative comment about coming out by accident too easily, but this one looks like it might stay in better if I can judge just by looks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those like me with the Ultra model who want a good case but not a piece of s%^~ kickstand or overpriced low quality keyboard case, I've asked Spigen about their Rugged Armor Pro like this:

They are planning to release their Tab S8 Ultra cases in May. So if like me you've been on the fence about settling for a garbage cover, hang on there a few more weeks.
    And here is a review of the case for s8u -
    Actually not so easy to use considering the "Attachable side protection..."
    If I could still connect the Keyboard with the tablet with that case on it, I'd definitely go for it.
    I would as well. Unfortunately, I haven't ever found such cases for the Tab series.
    I've bought one and it also sits gathering dust for three reasons.

1. I want a physical cover that can also protect the paper feel / textured screen films that I use. Even if I was willing to compromise and put the film over the screen protector, the loss in pen sensitivity becomes significant.

2. I prefer the angle options the Spigen folding cover gives to the kick stand approach.

3. The pen holders are too tight to fit the Staedler Norris fat stylus securely. The Spigen cases are designed in a way which is much more accommodating of different stylus sizes.

I also bought a Fintie case which is more like "magic cover" style but it's flimsy crap with magnets so weak they don't even stay secure under the weight of the cover let alone with the tablet in it. The official Samsung kickstand case is what I'm using for now but yeah, I'm selling the tablet either way and going back to a Plus.

In many ways such a nice tablet, but I guess it's a niche market. A high end oversized relatively heavy tablet suited more to staying inside an office or maybe commute between home and work might be part of the reason for lack of good rugged case options, especially when it competes against the keyboard cover functionality.