Run a Nook HD+ without a battery.

Search This thread

IamX00T

Sep 1, 2018
I bought my Nook HD+ in 2013 and it has been a great companion all along. About two years ago, I noticed that the battery was not what it used to be, requiring charging too often. Last year, I installed LineageOS on the Nook.

About three months ago, something happened to the battery so that the Nook would turn on and be usable only if the main power was connected. If I switched off the charger, the Nook would immediately shut down - and by shut down I mean it would just blink off, not shut down over a few seconds. Also, in the shut off mode, it would lose battery a lot, like 20 to 30 percent in a day, without any usage.

Then, about a month back, I forgot to charge it for three straight days and now it won't turn on at all. When I connect the charger, the charging light turns from green to red, and stays there, indicating the battery is charging, and the back of the Nook also becomes hot, but whatever I do, it doesn't turn on. When I press the power button, the screen comes on and shows the charging icon for a second or two and then goes off. I've left it charging for a couple of hours, maybe six or eight or so, but it still won't turn on.

If I remove the battery and turn on the main power, the charging light keeps blinking green and red over and over. So, is there any way to use the Nook without the battery, running it off the mains power only? And if there isn't, is there any way to turn it back on? I've already gone through the threads here and tried some of the things but nothing has worked. I don't have a higher power wall charger, and it is not possible to go out in the present condition, what with the lockdown and all.

Please help. :(

Rapier216

Oct 9, 2014
Cricket Dream 5G
Hi :)

I also have a Nook HD+ that I'm still playing with :)

I bought my Nook HD+ in 2013 and it has been a great companion all along. About two years ago, I noticed that the battery was not what it used to be, requiring charging too often. Last year, I installed LineageOS on the Nook.

I also installed lineage on mine a year or two back, but I've had random issues with mine. I'm going to try to reset and reinstall it in the near future (like, maybe this weekend or next).

About three months ago, something happened to the battery so that the Nook would turn on and be usable only if the main power was connected. If I switched off the charger, the Nook would immediately shut down - and by shut down I mean it would just blink off, not shut down over a few seconds. Also, in the shut off mode, it would lose battery a lot, like 20 to 30 percent in a day, without any usage.

Then, about a month back, I forgot to charge it for three straight days and now it won't turn on at all. When I connect the charger, the charging light turns from green to red, and stays there, indicating the battery is charging, and the back of the Nook also becomes hot, but whatever I do, it doesn't turn on. When I press the power button, the screen comes on and shows the charging icon for a second or two and then goes off. I've left it charging for a couple of hours, maybe six or eight or so, but it still won't turn on.

I know that, if the tablet runs dead, you _have_ to put it on the original Nook wall charger and let it sit overnight... mine just went dead a couple of days ago and I tried just plugging the cable into a generic USB charger, but it didn't charge. I then remembered this and plugged it into the Nook charger and it charged overnight.

If I remove the battery and turn on the main power, the charging light keeps blinking green and red over and over. So, is there any way to use the Nook without the battery, running it off the mains power only? And if there isn't, is there any way to turn it back on? I've already gone through the threads here and tried some of the things but nothing has worked. I don't have a higher power wall charger, and it is not possible to go out in the present condition, what with the lockdown and all.

Please help. :(

I have no idea about this part... I've never taken mine apart (I wanted to buy a replacement battery a few years ago but they ran out and I never found more). Update: I just searched and there are a few battery replacements listed with Google search, I just don't want to pay 40.00 to 50.00 when I can buy a new tablet for a little more than that.

I usually just leave mine plugged into my bedside clock and it keeps charged, or if I unplug it plug it back in within a couple of hours.

Hope you find an answer.