How To Guide Run an GSI on your Mi Pad 5

Search This thread

manu_jedi

Jun 28, 2018
OnePlus 8 Pro
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
Ok, interesting! Based on Chinese MIUI?
No, i think its global. In the link is directly a download link. The recovery is chinese only and fastbootd looks differently but its not to hard to figure out what does what. With flashing the userdata, lineage does not boot so make sure to format userdata with the recovery.
Edit: given the name nabu_dpp_android_global_images_2.05.07 i figured that it is for global

Reactions: BiG_FooT

BiG_FooT

Nov 17, 2012
Rotterdam area
No, i think its global. In the link is directly a download link. The recovery is chinese only and fastbootd looks differently but its not to hard to figure out what does what. With flashing the userdata, lineage does not boot so make sure to format userdata with the recovery.
Edit: given the name nabu_dpp_android_global_images_2.05.07 i figured that it is for global
Sure I will try this ROM when I have some free time

UPDATE:
Installed the Android 13 beta for Mi-Pad 5 from the post of @manu_jedi said
It's a clean AOSP looking A13 rom (so no MIUI). Biggest issue is that the maximum brightness is lower than in stock rom. So it's barely usable outside. I will switch back to stock until new beta arrives.

Last edited:
Reactions: kvanlier
Hey guys, does anybody know how to fix this bottom line ?

2022-05-15 18.28.28.jpg

My ROM PixelExperience_Plus_arm64-ab-12.1-20220412-UNOFFICIAL.img

BiG_FooT

Nov 17, 2012
Rotterdam area
Hey guys, does anybody know how to fix this bottom line ?

View attachment 5615107

My ROM PixelExperience_Plus_arm64-ab-12.1-20220412-UNOFFICIAL.img
It's because of PE is made for Pixel phone and not a tablet ui. You could adapt the Pixel DPI in developer settings to something close to 600 dpi. Then you will get rid of the broken docked items but you lose the functionality as well of course. I didn't like the result and went back to PE from February 5th.

Reactions: Larry112

droid_junkie

Jul 15, 2013
New Delhi
Finally got the bootloader to unlock and tested Phhusson v413 GSI and here are something you would like to keep in mind if you wanted to try it yourself:

1. I can't access Netflix in HD anymore. DRM info shows i have L1. Netflix isnt even available for me on the playstore and side loading shows L3 certification inside the Netflix app.

2. The new taskbar for tablets is really finicky. Sometimes it doesn't hide on long press and just randomly shows up whenever it wants to. Maybe it's not playing well with Nova

3. DT2W is not working as stated in other posts so you will have to wear out those physical buttons.

Audio works fine and display works fine too. I might give PE 12 a try because the above three issues make this unusable for me. I can ignore the last 2, but no HD playback on a media consumption device is a no go for me. Maybe others have had better luck with L1

Last edited:

manu_jedi

Jun 28, 2018
OnePlus 8 Pro
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
Sure I will try this ROM when I have some free time

UPDATE:
Installed the Android 13 beta for Mi-Pad 5 from the post of @manu_jedi said
It's a clean AOSP looking A13 rom (so no MIUI). Biggest issue is that the maximum brightness is lower than in stock rom. So it's barely usable outside. I will switch back to stock until new beta arrives.
I meant to say to install the A13 rom and THEN install a gsi. So you have A13 vendor (or whatever is used from xiaomi)

BiG_FooT

Nov 17, 2012
Rotterdam area
I meant to say to install the A13 rom and THEN install a gsi. So you have A13 vendor (or whatever is used from xiaomi)
Yes, I did that as well, flash A13 beta and on top a GS1. But I noticed already in Fastboot mode that brightness was very low. In GSI the brightness was not as responsive as with Stable MIUI base. But no problem mate, happy that you shared it so that I could try it.

How to keep track of the A13 beta updates? Go back to the page you linked once in a while?

Hidden_Iye

May 16, 2022
Newest firmware from the Androd 13 beta works really well. I had problems with smooth scrolling while having a video in pip mode or with two apps in split mode. This one is perfectly smooth in combination with Andys Lineage 19. Only bug is the brightness intensity that the A13 beta also has but there is a workaround in the gsi settings.
Is it daily driveable? In terms of xiaomi pen support, keyboard support, banking apps etc?

Hidden_Iye

May 16, 2022
Nope
For me yes, but i don't use the pen, a keyboard or banking apps...
If you use it for webbrowsing and watching movies then yes.
As I additionally paid for the pen and I do take a lot of notes, I guess the pen is still holding me back in MIUI. Btw just want to know are there any GSI available with full pen support at the very least?

Hello there! I want to root my tablet. It works on pixel experience 12 gsi (v402)

1. there is a boot.img in a stock miui fastboot image. i doesn't worked for me - i got a bootloop

2. but as far as I understand, people pull out the boot.img with payload dumper from payload.bin, which is in the stock miui recovery image ?

Yesterday I tried to fastboot a patched boot.img from the miui 13.02 fastboot stock image, the tablet went into the bootlop, then i returned the stock boot from there - the tablet started up.

Is it necessary to pick payload.bin at all, if the firmware works on the stock image? Then why does the tablet fall into the bootlap after Magisk?

Steffs

Sep 17, 2020
Hello there! I want to root my tablet. It works on pixel experience 12 gsi (v402)

1. there is a boot.img in a stock miui fastboot image. i doesn't worked for me - i got a bootloop

2. but as far as I understand, people pull out the boot.img with payload dumper from payload.bin, which is in the stock miui recovery image ?

Yesterday I tried to fastboot a patched boot.img from the miui 13.02 fastboot stock image, the tablet went into the bootlop, then i returned the stock boot from there - the tablet started up.

Is it necessary to pick payload.bin at all, if the firmware works on the stock image? Then why does the tablet fall into the bootlap after Magisk?

Most of the problems I had were caused by an old version of fastboot.exe on my PC.
After bricking my Pad several times I used the flashing instructions from the PE GSI telegram group:

0. Get an up-to-date fastboot on your computer (fastboot —version should give version >= 29)
1. Get vbmeta.img from https://dl.google.com/developers/android/qt/images/gsi/vbmeta.img
2. Get A/B GSI (I'm guessing you need ARM64), don't forget to uncompress it
3. From running Android, do adb reboot bootloader
4. fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
5. fastboot reboot fastboot
6. fastboot flash system system-xxxx.img
6bis. If fastboot tells you there isn't enough place, do fastboot delete-logical-partition product, fastboot delete-logical-partition product_a, fastboot delete-logical-partition product_b and run the fastboot flash command again
7. On your phone, the screen should have a button "go back to recovery", select it, then select "factory reset / wipe data"
8. Reboot and enjoy

I used the boot.img from nabu_global_images_V12.5.8.0.RKXMIXM_20210925.0000.00_11.0_global_9235e47a6f.
This was also the recovery image, with img files for the different partitions so no need to dump a payload.bin, I used to unbrick using the included flash_all.bat.

load the boot.img to an android device with installed Magisk app,​
open the Magisk app,​
press install next to Magisk,​
method of install: select file and patch,​
select the boot.img,​
copy the magisk_patched-xxxxx.img back to the PC.​
(If I remember correctly, the pachted img is in the download folder)​

Flash the magisk_patched-xxxxx.img in fastbootd:

fastboot reboot fastboot​
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-xxxxx.img​
fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched-xxxxx.img
fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched-xxxxx.img

Updates of the PE GSI rom should be installed in fastbootd, using the phh updater is said to brick magisk.

Update:

I tried to update PE GSI via the PHH updater, this bricks Magisk.
Also a reflash of the patched boot image does not repair Magisk.
You will have to reflash the stock image and install PE to be able to use Magisk again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larry112

vuoshinotizy

May 12, 2022
On this gsi rom is possible to install the miui fingers gesture (3 fingers slide to home ecc...)? I think on a tablet is a must have... What gsi rom do you suggest? Thanks

mikefnz

Jan 30, 2008
Christchurch
OnePlus 7T
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5

Top Liked Posts