Running Debian (natively) on Android TV Box (Jadoo 4)

Search This thread

Rohaaq

Feb 3, 2022
(I apologize if this is in the wrong forum - I wasn't sure where exactly this should go)

Hey, so I'm looking to natively run Debian for ARM on the Jadoo 4 android TV Box. From some googling, it seems that if I want to do something like that, I need to find an OS image that's optimized for the specific device; but unfortunately I can't seem to find anything. What exactly can I do? Do I really need to find a specific OS image, or would something more general suffice?

Some general info about the Jadoo 4:
Processor: ARM Amlogic @ 1.61 GHz 1 Processor, 4 Core
Motherboard: Stvm8b

Sidenote, I'm very new to installing a completely new OS, so if you have, like, a favourite tutorial for doing that, that would be great.

Really appreciate any help,
Thanks.

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
(I apologize if this is in the wrong forum - I wasn't sure where exactly this should go)

Hey, so I'm looking to natively run Debian for ARM on the Jadoo 4 android TV Box. From some googling, it seems that if I want to do something like that, I need to find an OS image that's optimized for the specific device; but unfortunately I can't seem to find anything. What exactly can I do? Do I really need to find a specific OS image, or would something more general suffice?

Sidenote, I'm very new to installing a completely new OS, so if you have, like, a favourite tutorial for doing that, that would be great.

Thanks.
@Rohaaq
Welcome to XDA! I hope you'll always get the support you require.

However, prior to your next posting please read the guidances that are stuck on top of every forum like
and the others. I've moved the thread to Android Q&A as it didn't qualify for development.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Senior Moderator

Rohaaq

Feb 3, 2022
@Rohaaq

However, prior to your next posting please read the guidances that are stuck on top of every forum like
and the others. I've moved the thread to Android Q&A as it didn't qualify for development.

Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Senior ModeraL
Oh, my bad - thanks for the help.

Reactions: Oswald Boelcke
Oct 5, 2019
Moto E (2020)

Thanks.
What type? Jadoo 4 original, white, stick or quad?

Rohaaq

Feb 3, 2022
What type? Jadoo 4 original, white, stick or quad?
Oh, I didn't realize there were multiple. I believe it's the original, but it might just be the white. It's the one depicted in the picture below.

Anyway, I've found a couple of tutorials for running Armbian on Android boxes with the S805 CPU (namely this one), but when I boot into recovery mode it just goes to the recovery menu and gives the error bad bootloader arguments ("null"). Do you know how I can fix this? Or perhaps know some other method?

1649463816697.jpeg

Oct 5, 2019
Moto E (2020)
Oh, I didn't realize there were multiple. I believe it's the original, but it might just be the white. It's the one depicted in the picture below.

Anyway, I've found a couple of tutorials for running Armbian on Android boxes with the S805 CPU (namely this one), but when I boot into recovery mode it just goes to the recovery menu and gives the error bad bootloader arguments ("null"). Do you know how I can fix this? Or perhaps know some other method?

View attachment 5583005
That’s the one I have but I like the Jadoo android OS. Here’s the firmware

Oct 5, 2019
Moto E (2020)
That’s the one I have but I like the Jadoo android OS. Here’s the firmware

If you want to root the Jadoo’s KitKat OS, all models of Jadoo4 and JadooTab are vulnerable to towelroot, and all Jadoo models except the Jadoo7 (and possibly Jadoo1 and Jadoo2 if they don’t use Linux or run a very old version) is vunreble to DirtyCow.

Use Towelroot for any Jadoo4 or JadooTab
Use Croowt for Jadoo5

Rohaaq

Feb 3, 2022

If you want to root the Jadoo’s KitKat OS, all models of Jadoo4 and JadooTab are vulnerable to towelroot, and all Jadoo models except the Jadoo7 (and possibly Jadoo1 and Jadoo2 if they don’t use Linux or run a very old version) is vunreble to DirtyCow.

Use Towelroot for any Jadoo4 or JadooTab
Use Croowt for Jadoo5
Well remember I want to run Linux on the Jadoo4, the stock firmware is already there. Although, I do appreciate you providing that as It may be useful later - unfortunately though It says I don't have access to the Google drive files.

As for rooting, when I try to install TowelRoot, I get a "unable to parse" error. Would dortycow or croowtRoot work for the Jadoo4 as well?

Thanks

Oct 5, 2019
Moto E (2020)
Well remember I want to run Linux on the Jadoo4, the stock firmware is already there. Although, I do appreciate you providing that as It may be useful later - unfortunately though It says I don't have access to the Google drive files.

As for rooting, when I try to install TowelRoot, I get a "unable to parse" error. Would dortycow or croowtRoot work for the Jadoo4 as well?

Thanks
Disable protection by play protect and install it with THE OFFICIAL SITE on a computer and transfer APK from usb stick.

Oct 5, 2019
Moto E (2020)

View attachment 5583005
How did you boot into recovery mode?

Oct 5, 2019
Moto E (2020)
I disabled Play Protect but I still get a "unable to parse error". I've been able to sideload other apps in the past, so I'm not entirely sure what else to do. Any other suggestions?
You could use the recovery firmware and add all the files but for the image trick it into booting debian via renaming the debian img to Jadoo 4 recovery. Make sure you backed up the Jadoo 4 software and data.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @Rohaaq

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Senior ModeraL
    Oh, my bad - thanks for the help.