• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[RUU] RUU_Hero_C_Sprint_1.56.651.2_signed_release.exe

Search This thread

flipzmode

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2009
geekfor.me
Today I was reminded that being nice to people can pay off! I was lucky enough to get my hands on the new Sprint RUU thanks to syscrasher13!

What is this?
  • RUU (radio unit upgrade) is the way that our phones are flashed at the factory. It flashes all the factory images on to your phone.
  • The 1.29 RUU has always been available, however people that purchased phones that came with 1.56 on them were unable to use that RUU: http://geekfor.me/news/sprint-ruu-fails/
  • This is the updated version for those people that have "with Google" branded phones that came with software version 1.56 on them.

What can I do with it?
  • You can use this to "unroot" your phone before sending it in for warranty work.
  • Use it to flash back to stock if you are having any random issues on your phone that you can't fix.
  • It can 100% flash your phone back to how it came from the factory. As long as your phone turns on at all (even if it's not booting) then you should be able to save it by using this.
  • This means your phone is virtually unbrickable, unless you go flashing a radio or SPL or something that you shouldn't.
  • You can flash this on a phone that originally came with 1.29 on it, just know that once you do you will no longer be able to use the 1.29 RUU. You will have to use this one.

How do I use it?
  1. Download the file below and run the exe.
  2. Go in to the folder that the exe created and run ARUWizard.exe

What else do I need to know?
  • The phone is still rootable. I tested it successfully using the auto-rooter in the pre-kitchen.
  • Fresh ROM still works just fine (as should any 1.56 based rom)
  • You will not be able to use the 1.29 RUU after this one, but I don't know of any reason that you would want to
  • Although some img's in the RUU have different dates than the original it appears that they are identical other than system.img
  • You don't need to run this unless you are trying to return your phone to stock. You won't get anything special from running it.

Download here: http://geekfor.me/news/sprint_ruu_156/

Last edited:
Reactions: anthony_s

askwhy

Jun 26, 2009
Many thanks!

Now, with this file on hand, I think it might be time to go ahead and root my new phone. Mostly I just want proper control over the device -- not likely to flash any ROMs until they evolve a little more -- but your work looks real solid and I plan on keeping up with it. Good show!

(on a side note, fwiw -- jumping ship from the Touch Pro to the Hero, after being with WinMo since the i730, has been my most satisfying smartphone experience, ever)

johnp2343

Nov 9, 2009
San Diego
Hey, Thanks!
One minor request, though: Could you include the md5 values to your file releases from now on?
While it does not increase security, it gives assurances that the file has not been altered... and it allows us to verify downloaded files.

I think a RUU file deserves this, don't you?

JohnP

Ooops: You did - on this page. Sorry.

Last edited:

flipzmode

Jan 21, 2009
geekfor.me
Hey, Thanks!
One minor request, though: Could you include the md5 values to your file releases from now on?
While it does not increase security, it gives assurances that the file has not been altered... and it allows us to verify downloaded files.

I think a RUU file deserves this, don't you?

JohnP

I've included md5 values on my releases since fresh 1.0. :p It's not in this post but if you click the link to go to the download page you'll see it there.

thecodemonk

Oct 23, 2009
Spokane, WA
This definitely needs to be stickied...I know myself and others have often referenced the RUU in many troubleshooting posts throughout my (admittedly short) stay at xda so far. :)

Thank Flipz for getting and posting this stuff!

markachee

Oct 8, 2009
Hburg
Thanks for this! Looks like we can root non Sprint CDMA Heroes now. (Cellular South, Bluegrass Cellular)

Any idea exactly how we managed to get this? From HTC? From Sprint?

I really want to find one for Cellular South and might as well try for Bluegrass Cellular since it has its own CID as well.

Doesn't look like the different version radio will be an issue, but would be nice to have the RUU around just in case.

Last edited:

posguy99

Nov 8, 2009
Hey, Thanks!

It's been modified, it won't match Sprint's (or HTC's) md5sum in any case. So having the md5sum for this one doesn't buy you much.

flipzmode

Jan 21, 2009
geekfor.me
It's been modified, it won't match Sprint's (or HTC's) md5sum in any case. So having the md5sum for this one doesn't buy you much.

Sprint and HTC aren't exactly providing an md5 on a file that hasn't been officially released. But I did create an md5 when I uploaded it so you know the file downloaded is the same one I uploaded.

Additionally the zip of the images located inside of the RUU are unmodifiable which is why we couldn't modify the old RUU to work with the new phones. When you start the RUU it will push the files to your phone and then check them. If they aren't what they are supposed to be, it will fail.

jasonkwh

Sep 26, 2009
someone share the direct download link(eg, rapidshare link) to me?

i live in China and i cannot use the bit.ly services(because the gov blocked it)

zikronix

Feb 7, 2009
fyi to those who are wondering this will work on a non google branded phone...however it does not fix the Rev 0 Rev a problem as it does not appear to update the pri to match that of the "with google" phones.

I dont care what sprint says and what htc says. My non google and my wifes google phone have two different speeds...

im exchanging mine for a with google phone today

frazmanw

Jul 26, 2007
Centerville, MA
Same Problem

I am having same issue as above on Win 7 64 bit. However everything else works from this machine to my phone. Rooting it, usb mount of SD, screen shots, etc. Please help me. I want to flash back to starting point and start over.

Thanks.

Jamie

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Today I was reminded that being nice to people can pay off! I was lucky enough to get my hands on the new Sprint RUU thanks to syscrasher13!

What is this?
    • RUU (radio unit upgrade) is the way that our phones are flashed at the factory. It flashes all the factory images on to your phone.
    • The 1.29 RUU has always been available, however people that purchased phones that came with 1.56 on them were unable to use that RUU: http://geekfor.me/news/sprint-ruu-fails/
    • This is the updated version for those people that have "with Google" branded phones that came with software version 1.56 on them.

What can I do with it?
    • You can use this to "unroot" your phone before sending it in for warranty work.
    • Use it to flash back to stock if you are having any random issues on your phone that you can't fix.
    • It can 100% flash your phone back to how it came from the factory. As long as your phone turns on at all (even if it's not booting) then you should be able to save it by using this.
    • This means your phone is virtually unbrickable, unless you go flashing a radio or SPL or something that you shouldn't.
    • You can flash this on a phone that originally came with 1.29 on it, just know that once you do you will no longer be able to use the 1.29 RUU. You will have to use this one.

How do I use it?
    1. Download the file below and run the exe.
    2. Go in to the folder that the exe created and run ARUWizard.exe

What else do I need to know?
    • The phone is still rootable. I tested it successfully using the auto-rooter in the pre-kitchen.
    • Fresh ROM still works just fine (as should any 1.56 based rom)
    • You will not be able to use the 1.29 RUU after this one, but I don't know of any reason that you would want to
    • Although some img's in the RUU have different dates than the original it appears that they are identical other than system.img
    • You don't need to run this unless you are trying to return your phone to stock. You won't get anything special from running it.

Download here: http://geekfor.me/news/sprint_ruu_156/
    use this instead... its easier and faster
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=804692

good luck