[S][CORAL] [Mayl] Descendant 12.1

Search This thread

Curiousn00b

Dec 3, 2011
Delaware
Google Pixel 4 XL
My phone just did the same thing. Annoying
That's so odd...

Mind if I ask about your install process as well as the notification you got when it did the update? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Descendant doesn't have the update thing in the settings and not sure about a built-in updater, but I know you can check for updates through it's "What's New" app.
Does Google call screener work?

What is the dnd button?
Everything works through my testing without a problem.

The DND button they're talking about appear when you increase your DPI. If you go into your developer options and set your own DPI, it first pops up around 450-455 if I remember right. It'll be a little moon icon above your volume slider.
I had to reinstall the ROM . Did it again but didn't restart so still have the ROM,lol

QbanXpress

Nov 1, 2011
Google Pixel 4 XL
I did and it didn't work
I just got home and tried swapping to other slot and phone didn't boot. I had to swap back to the slot that updated over Descendant ROM. This is really strange. I didn't lose any data or phone configuration when the official update installed over the ROM. I find it really weird that it took an update and overwrote the custom ROM and phone works with no issues. As far as what I saw happen.....I got a notification for a system update for both the custom ROM and for official update, I took/installed neither, then this morning the phone had a notification to restart to complete update.....now I'm on official latest build and security from Google and not Descendant. Hopefully OP has a suggestion or fix. would hate for this to happen again.

I will be reinstalling the ROM again as I like it very much.

I did and it didn't work
you are doing something wrong, lay out your steps... many of us have updated no problem, I myself use ADB most of the time, but for ROMs like LOS, I will use OTA. Flash it through ADB just dont wipe data and you will work fine. There is a misstep in your process, you shouldnt be reinstalling every time you try to update, thats not normal.

QbanXpress

Nov 1, 2011
Google Pixel 4 XL
Update, I ended up installing Descendant ROM to both slots that way it doesn't update to official ROM again in the future. My steps were as follows, reboot to bootloader, flash boot then flash ROM through adb update. Next reboot to bootloader, swap active slots and flash boot then flash ROM through adb update. Afterwards both slots have the exact same ROM in my understanding. Is that a good approach or no?

Xdevillived666

Feb 29, 2012
Massy
Google Pixel 6
you are doing something wrong, lay out your steps... many of us have updated no problem, I myself use ADB most of the time, but for ROMs like LOS, I will use OTA. Flash it through ADB just dont wipe data and you will work fine. There is a misstep in your process, you shouldnt be reinstalling every time you try to update, thats not normal.
I think you misread what I put buddy. My phone auto updated to stock by itself. Was a long while ago. Since then I get update notific as rions for stock on this ROM but so far haven't had the issues again:+)

I think you misread what I put buddy. My phone auto updated to stock by itself. Was a long while ago. Since then I get update notific as rions for stock on this ROM but so far haven't had the issues again:+)
nope buddy, I didnt misread, something is being done incorrectly with the updates. Use ADB and sideload them in the future, but I never had this problem EVER so IDK whats going on, but the update OTA manifest is not stock, so IDK how you could possibly be reverting to stock unless its not being cleaned properly (I.E. the inactive slot is STILL stock, thus STILL valid). I have urged from day 1 to all users to clean BOTH slots, and REMOVE anything STOCK, but I am always told its to much work, or its not worth it, but I do it, and guess what, never once have I EVER EVER EVER reverted to stock on ANY ROM, including this one, with TWO updates done already and not a single issue.

It comes down to either following whats recommended and not doing it your own ways, or living with the results... I am not trying to come off as a jerk, but there are ways to do things correctly, and workarounds.

QbanXpress

Nov 1, 2011
Google Pixel 4 XL
nope buddy, I didnt misread, something is being done incorrectly with the updates. Use ADB and sideload them in the future, but I never had this problem EVER so IDK whats going on, but the update OTA manifest is not stock, so IDK how you could possibly be reverting to stock unless its not being cleaned properly. I have urged from day 1 to all users to clean BOTH slots, and REMOVE anything STOCK, but I am always told its to much work, or its not worth it, but I do it, and guess what, never once have I EVER EVER EVER reverted to stock on ANY ROM, including this one, with TWO updates done already and not a single issue
I had the exact same thing happen to me and I always reset to factory and wipe internal

I had the exact same thing happen to me and I always reset to factory and wipe internal
I know, and I am telling you guys, YOU ARE NOT CLEANING THE DEVICES right, you are taking shortcuts, and dont take OTA updates, ONLY sideload them, I have warned and warned of this many times.

Listen, dont listen, IDC, but guess what, my device is running descendant, and guess what, NEVER reverted to stock, through multiple updates (ADB) so DONT TAKE OTA if you are not cleaning the devices.

I will add this, if I ever get it to happen (but I wont) however, if I do, I will report and apologize but its not possible if this is setup correctly. Also I would recommend to fastboot flash --slot all boot /path/to/recovery.img MAGISK, so it trips both slots.

The source code is freely available, review it, and you will understand what I am trying to say:

QbanXpress

Nov 1, 2011
Google Pixel 4 XL
I didn't take OTA, it downloaded it by itself and installed on reboot. You seem upset. This forum is to help each other troubleshoot. We are simply sharing what happened to us. I understand it hasn't happened to you and that's great.

Personally I've never had a custom ROM even allow Google ota notifications to display. This ROM did and now I'm taking steps to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I didn't take OTA, it downloaded it by itself and installed on reboot. You seem upset. This forum is to help each other troubleshoot. We are simply sharing what happened to us. I understand it hasn't happened to you and that's great.

Personally I've never had a custom ROM even allow Google ota notifications to display. This ROM did and now I'm taking steps to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Sorry NOT upset, I hate messaging because I always sound like a jerk. I'm frustrated because I have explained it and explained it, if you follow the steps I laid, you'll never have an issue.

I'm right now pulling the manifest code to show you guys.

Can you do me a favor and explain that comment about downloading/installing and your entire overall step by step to install this ROM. Every step. And yes, I'm here to help but I can ONLY lead you to water, but not make you drink and you still haven't given me what I need to show you where it's breaking.

The fact that two users of hundreds have an issue, but I don't and many others don't leads me to one point. Most likely there wasn't a full clean and steps were skipped.

I need to know what exactly happened that led you to the stock firmware.

Reactions: Curiousn00b

QbanXpress

Nov 1, 2011
Google Pixel 4 XL
No worries. I hate messaging as well. Tone never comes across properly .

My install steps are as follows.
Adb reboot to bootloader, fastboot flash boot, reboot to recovery, reset to factory and wipe, then adb side load ROM. Typically I only do this to whatever slot is active at the moment but because of what happened, I did the same exact steps to both slots. I'm thinking somehow ROM.updated and after reboot the device switched slots and broke the descendant ROM on its slot. With ROM being installed on both slots, this should not happen again.

Reactions: Curiousn00b
No worries. I hate messaging as well. Tone never comes across properly .

My install steps are as follows.
Adb reboot to bootloader, fastboot flash boot, reboot to recovery, reset to factory and wipe, then adb side load ROM. Typically I only do this to whatever slot is active at the moment but because of what happened, I did the same exact steps to both slots. I'm thinking somehow ROM.updated and after reboot the device switched slots and broke the descendant ROM on its slot. With ROM being installed on both slots, this should not happen again.
one key difference, I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wipe system in fastbootD (A/B), wipe userdata, but only AFTER I factory flash the matching firmware to the ROM (metadata). I do the factory on BOTH slots and interrupt the reboot on slot A (right after it wipes user data) (factory firmware batch), I grab and hold vol down, power then reboot to BL, do the factory firmware again.

This way the system was now, not only wiped, but I wiped both slots (system + userdata), and then restored BOTH slots with the latest Google Factory Firmware. Then I go through a quick setup (skip everything), reboot to BL, wipe /system / data, boot to recovery, wipe again there, then sideload. No factory or stock left over WHATSOEVER but all of my partitions and volumes are cleanly prepared for the 3rd party ROM.

I have done it this way since day 1 of SLOT A/B, and I am always told its overkill, yet, I never have a single bug, hiccup, or unknown result so it works for me, and I do it every time I switch a ROM. Sure its a bit of work, but I rely on my droid for my kids, my career, and my family, so I cant risk not having a decent working android and I can test everything for all users, without worrying I am not clean.

QbanXpress

Nov 1, 2011
Google Pixel 4 XL
one key difference, I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wipe system in fastbootD (A/B), wipe userdata, but only AFTER I factory flash the matching firmware to the ROM (metadata). I do the factory on BOTH slots and interrupt the reboot on slot A (right after it wipes user data) (factory firmware batch), I grab and hold vol down, power then reboot to BL, do the factory firmware again.

This way the system was now, not only wiped, but I wiped both slots (system + userdata), and then restored BOTH slots with the latest Google Factory Firmware. Then I go through a quick setup (skip everything), reboot to BL, wipe /system / data, boot to recovery, wipe again there, then sideload. No factory or stock left over WHATSOEVER but all of my partitions and volumes are cleanly prepared for the 3rd party ROM.

I have done it this way since day 1 of SLOT A/B, and I am always told its overkill, yet, I never have a single bug, hiccup, or unknown result so it works for me, and I do it every time I switch a ROM. Sure its a bit of work, but I rely on my droid for my kids, my career, and my family, so I cant risk not having a decent working android and I can test everything for all users, without worrying I am not clean.
Yes, I read your setup process a few posts back where you detailed it also. I just have never done it that way and was never an issue before. It seems overkill but effective for you. If it happens for me again, I will follow your steps and go from there. Thanks

Yes, I read your setup process a few posts back where you detailed it also. I just have never done it that way and was never an issue before. It seems overkill but effective for you. If it happens for me again, I will follow your steps and go from there. Thanks
def let me know, and at the same time, I am making sure I am not lying by pulling the code but I have never this issue and I know two have so there's a commonality I would like to figure out so we can avoid it by telling new users what to do / not do. I pull OTA through wireshark and such, by sniffing my network originally then I tied that to the original issue so give me some time and I will report back the details.

If you have it happen again, TRY (please try) to remember exactly what you were doing, or popped up, or have installed, ETC., theres something you two are doing that the rest of us are not, thats where we need to focus.

What I am wondering is this, did both of you ever try/use the beta, possibly beta 12/13?

/data/data/com.google.android.gms/shared_prefs/com.google.android.gms.update.storage.xml

QbanXpress

Nov 1, 2011
Google Pixel 4 XL
def let me know, and at the same time, I am making sure I am not lying by pulling the code but I have never this issue and I know two have so there's a commonality I would like to figure out so we can avoid it by telling new users what to do / not do. I pull OTA through wireshark and such, by sniffing my network originally then I tied that to the original issue so give me some time and I will report back the details.

If you have it happen again, TRY (please try) to remember exactly what you were doing, or popped up, or have installed, ETC., theres something you two are doing that the rest of us are not, thats where we need to focus.
For sure. What I remember is getting the notif for descendant update and also the notif from Google of an update. I took/installed neither, not through adb or ota. I know better than to take an update from Google while on a custom ROM..nonetheless, it installed itself in the background and next thing I knew I had the restart to complete update notif and phone was back to stock after that.

For sure. What I remember is getting the notif for descendant update and also the notif from Google of an update. I took/installed neither, not through adb or ota. I know better than to take an update from Google while on a custom ROM..nonetheless, it installed itself in the background and next thing I knew I had the restart to complete update notif and phone was back to stock after that.
that aint right at all, something is definitely misbehaving for you two, but IDK what yet.

I see in the code for betas, but I havent found anything that would point me to what you two are facing. I would also HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest, disabling auto updates on reboot in dev options, I ALWAYS have this off, so maybe thats the key (but it still doesnt/wouldnt explain the weirdness you two have with a Google firmware)..

well, I still cant provie/disprove with code yet, I didnt get a lot of time to dig back in today with work, and I cant find my wireshark, so I was either 420 when I did it, or I was tired and didnt save, I dont remember. I am probably going to redo the capture in time (if I dont figure it out by then), but I had hoped to prove what I said right or wrong, one way or the other (I am OK with being wrong when it helps others). Until I can prove/dirpove, I have no merrit other than my own updates experience without issue, and plus it never happned me, EVER. I was on it for 2 months one cliptesting during an update cycle (ADB), and currently now back on it, betwen releases, so I would have had the same issues if I also suffered from it. I cant prove one way or the other though definitively yet so if anyone sees or knows (or has had this happen), chime in please, lets figure this out. I still stand by my gut response, but without a way to prove through code or wireshark, its just my expierience as my facts so I would love to hear others who havent had this issue (and upgrade/work fine), OR if anyone else (other than the known two) had it happen..?

QbanXpress

Nov 1, 2011
Google Pixel 4 XL
Cool, no biggie. For me it's not about being right or wrong, just throwing into the chat what I've experienced. I didn't have it happen on first release, it happened while I was on the release before this last one if that helps. I will turn off update on reboot through dev options though. I really like this ROM the most out of all the ones out there so I'm cool with hiccups here and there. It has just the right amount of features and cool factor but not overwhelmed with gimmicky software. Kudos to the developer and to you for helping with troubleshooting on what otherwise seems to be a dying forum.

Cool, no biggie. For me it's not about being right or wrong, just throwing into the chat what I've experienced. I didn't have it happen on first release, it happened while I was on the release before this last one if that helps. I will turn off update on reboot through dev options though. I really like this ROM the most out of all the ones out there so I'm cool with hiccups here and there. It has just the right amount of features and cool factor but not overwhelmed with gimmicky software. Kudos to the developer and to you for helping with troubleshooting on what otherwise seems to be a dying forum.
Nah it's all good, I just don't like to give information without facts and I usually have them handy, this one's throwing me but I'll get it in time. Yeah pixel 4 forums are slower, I think people upgrade/move on but I'm keeping mine until it dies or doesn't do something I need it to do. I love my pixel 4xl, I had em all so far and I buy them from Google so they're always unlocked and this one's the best of em all so far

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Descendant 12.1 May update is rolling out.

Bug Fixes:
    Solved an issue with quick unlock;
    Solved an issue with lockscreen pin layout scramble;
    Solved an issue with Ambient Light that wasn't correctly showing the style selection icon when in Light Theme;
    Solved a graphical issue that was showing an arrow across Google dashboard tab in Settings;
    Solved an issue with Airplane Mode that was preventing QS header to be correctly displayed;
    Solved an issue that was preventing Notification Chips to correctly work;
    Solved an issue that was preventing Status bar tuner to correctly hide volume icon;
    Solved an issue with SafetyNet.

Improvements:
    Improved weather icon transition between Always On Display/Ambient Mode to lockscreen;
    Improved alarm widget positioning over lockscreen;
    Improved user interface for clock theme selection which will now show real previews;
    Improved user interface for Ambient Lights which will now show real previews;
    Improved double tap to wake/sleep transition animation when in Always On Display.
    Sorted all gesture related activity under Settings -> Gestures
    Added full translation for Telugu language

New Features:
    Added all available options to be assigned on both lockscreen buttons;
    Added the ability to center clocks on lockscreen;
    Added "Pulse to Wake" option for double tap to wake gesture under Settings -> Gestures;
    Added Data Tile to quickly switch SIM data;
    Added Caffeine Tile to keep the device awake;
    Added Visual Feedback in Settings -> Accessibility, which allows visual feedback via flashlight blinking for notifications or calls
    Added privacy dots option to be shown only for user app (whitelisting system) under Settings -> Privacy

Interface changes:
    Lock/unlock Icon on lockscreen has been moved on top (except when an UDFP is enrolled)

Security patches level
    May 2022

Downloads at http://downloads.descendant.me
    Look forward to the update in April
    May update is out for those unaware. 👍
    How do you stop current launcher?
    System/apps/... (top right corner) show system and find the default launcher, "force stop". BUT before you stop the default, try with the 3rd party first, just stop it (FC) then open it from the same app info page (on your launcher installed) and test. If not, also restart default, then test, it will work.
    Descendant 12 February update is rolling out.

Bug fixes

Solved an issue that was truncating weather output into QS Panel
    Fixed an issue with Gesture Magic that was erroneously triggering vibration mode

Improvements
    Improved volume panel active volume stream detection
    Improved in-display fingerprint efficiency
    Improved some game performances that were brand-exclusives (ex. COD Mobile at 120FPS in multiplayer)
    Added full translations for the following languages:
    Arabic, Bengali, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, French, Indonesian, Italian, Portuguese Brazilian, Russian, Spanish, Turkish

Interface changes
    QS Tiles have been restyled.
    Old Android 12 style can be found in:
    Settings ->Display (or in the Customization Accessibility Dashboard if enabled)
    Updated styles for Descendant Apps

Quick settings header layout has been restyled

New features

Disable privacy chips allowing only the dot to be spawned, added in : Settings > Privacy
    Double tap on the back (quick tap) gesture (on eligible devices), added in: Settings > Gestures

Customization Accessibility Dashboard, AIO customization fragment available as a Settings main page entry afgter enabling it in: Settings > Accessibility > Customization Accessibility Dashboard

Security patches level
    5 Feb 2022