• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

S-OFF is out now, a word about it

Search This thread

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
For now, S-OFF from SunShine on the htc u11 is temporary. Changes you make while S-OFF will stay, they are not temporary, just the S-OFF flag is. All the same features, with exception of the ability to use custom hboot/aboot. Seriously, aboot patchers, don't bother trying at this point. Once you reboot into Android or Recovery, the device will reset back S-ON.

Changing mid, changing cid, downgrading etc all still work fine. If you want to change it a second time, just run sunshine again.

If/when a forever s-off comes, those with temp s-off will be upgraded at no cost.

ShyamSasi

Dec 10, 2010
CLASSIFIED
For now, S-OFF from SunShine on the htc u11 is temporary. Changes you make while S-OFF will stay, they are not temporary, just the S-OFF flag is. All the same features, with exception of the ability to use custom hboot/aboot. Seriously, aboot patchers, don't bother trying at this point. Once you reboot into Android or Recovery, the device will reset back S-ON.

Changing mid, changing cid, downgrading etc all still work fine. If you want to change it a second time, just run sunshine again.

If/when a forever s-off comes, those with temp s-off will be upgraded at no cost.

Thanks man. I been holding off unlocking for a while waiting for this to come.

blueberry60

Nov 13, 2010
Many thanks @jcase for explanation. What about 2PZC RUU zip files flashing in case of temporary S-OFF? You know device reboots many times. Can we convert my devices to different variants?

Sent from my HTC U11 using XDA Labs

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
Many thanks @jcase for explanation. What about 2PZC RUU zip files flashing in case of S-OFF? You know device reboots many times. Can we convert my devices to different variants?

Sent from my HTC U11 using XDA Labs

It only clears if booting into android or recovery. You can reboot into download/bootloader without clearing it

qriozum

Sep 13, 2009
@jcase

After getting Temp-S-Off, and later entering the DownloadMode mode, we see "S-Onn" (which is natural for temporary).
In the "OpenDSP" section there is "UNKNOWN".

And in the bootloader flag has changed status to "Modified".

regards
q.

Reactions: fratus101

velimirchek

Jul 8, 2017
Zagreb
@jcase

After getting Temp-S-Off, and later entering the DownloadMode mode, we see "S-Onn" (which is natural for temporary).

regards
q.

what's wrong with that? it is the same for me since I unlocked the bootloader. 2 months ago. both unknown and modified.

also can confirm now all works, changed CID twice (don't ask)

Kisakuku

Oct 31, 2011
Is it safe to flash custom splash images?
I'll answer my own question. No issues flashing custom splash images in bootloader (nb0) or download mode (zip with android-info.txt), but obviously can't use recovery-based scripts (no S-OFF in recovery). Splash images made for the 10 work fine, since the screen resolution hasn't changed.

Reactions: SidneyD

beaups

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 28, 2007
Dublin, OH
I'll answer my own question. No issues flashing custom splash images in bootloader (nb0) or download mode (zip with android-info.txt), but obviously can't use recovery-based scripts (no S-OFF in recovery). Splash images made for the 10 work fine, since the screen resolution hasn't changed.

Thanks, I would have answered you but was sleeping :p

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
@jcase

regards
q.

OpenDSP should show unknown while s-on, that is normalm. Modified is normal as well, as you have an unlocked modified phone. You can clear that with a ruu most likely

Doughnut

Jan 13, 2008
My understanding with S-Off was that the bootloader can be unlocked and relocked without HTC noticing - is that the case?

For what it's worth I've not had a device fail on me over the years, but given their recent change of policy towards unlocking, the the screen issues and etc, I've not placed a custom ROM on this phone incase it does go all wrong and I need the warranty...

Could someone please confirm?

microcris

Nov 21, 2006
Aveiro
Changed CID to superCID and... and I think there isn't much more that we need to do with S-OFF.
The downside of this method is the possibility to lose the ability go get S-OFF with future updates.

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hey guys
    Does sunshine work on Oreo firmware?
    Thanks

Very soon, probably tomorrow even :p

--beaups
    Very expensive 25 $ oLD FREE DISCUSSION

We think the price is fair. You are free to find your own method and release it for free or whatever price you think is fair.

--beaups
    Still mandatory to pay?
    What a shame.
    Still mandatory to pay?
    What a shame.
    Very shameful comments. Any good member knows you both are shameful and full of disrespect. These comments should be flagged immediately. Any good member knows the value of the sunshine team for HTC.
    I bought a half washing machine.
    "SunShine can turn many consumer devices into developer phones with the click of a few buttons. Unlocking and s-off'ing your phone will allow you to easily root the device, install the latest firmware and custom roms."
    I'm sorry, it can't unlock my U11...
    Now I bought another U11 (the other was destroyed) do you think I will buy another license after this answer?
    Have a nice day...

Inviato dal mio HTC U11 utilizzando Tapatalk

The person you are replying to has nothing to do with us, if you want to base your willingness to purchase a product on the responses to someone completely unrelated to the product, that is your prerogative but seems silly. SunShine can absolutely unlock your u11, it can not temp root your u11 at this time, without root sunshine can't run. This is something that is known, and we are open about.

@jcase there is some hope of getting the locked back? No eta, but at least a hope...

Inviato dal mio HTC U11 utilizzando Tapatalk

There is hope, problem is finding a way to incorporate it safely. Because of how HTC changed things in the u11, it is a dangerous procedure if the user doesnt follow directions 100%.