[S-ON][TUTORIAL] Downgrade from a ROM Hboot 1.03 to a ROM Hboot 0.9

Search This thread

emveefr

Sep 29, 2011
Toulouse
Firts before all, I WILL NOT BE RESPONSABLE IF YOU'VE GOT ANY PROBLEM FOLLOWING THESE STEPS.

What to learn in this tut ?

- GAIN FULL ROOT ACCESS IN ADB SHELL easily, thanks to zergRush

- DOWNGRADE from a ROM compatible HBOOT 1.03 to a ROM compatible HBOOT 0.9 (and consequently avoid RUU Output Errors)

Thanks to mphi tuto, aparici help and zergRush I managed to do it whereas with other techniques it doesn't work.

Techniques not working to downgrade :
  1. Installing a modified PG76IMG.ZIP (version has been modified to be after my current ROM version, modifying android-info.txt) with GoldCard and Bootloader Install
    --> Bootloader loads and checks the zip on your goldcard, but after finishing to check it goes back to bootloader menu

2. Installing with the RUU by replacing the rom.zip in temp folder. I extracted rom.zip content then change version in android-info.txt, then recompress a new zip and replace the other by the new one.
    --> Signature Version Error even if the ROM version is changed…

I guess it doesn't work because the phone is not rooted and S-OFF.

Working downgrade steps :
  • Download HTC Sync USB Drivers and the tools you will need here, including zergRush (found here) : http://www.mediafire.com/?z2l7n2gxznz6276
  • Download the HTC Official ROM which is hboot 0.9 here : http://www.filefactory.com/file/cbb...35.3029H_7.46.35.08_release_183799_signed.exe
  • Back up your phone data on a SD card or something else
  • Shut down your phone then insert GoldCard in it and power on (Creating a goldcard http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=954723)
  • Connect your phone to your computer via USB and select HTC Sync mode (also verify USB debugging is enabled).
  • Extract the tools at the root of your computer (example c:\tools)
  • Run Windows CMD and move to the tools folder, then execute these commands
  • Put the tool on your sd_card
    Code:
    adb push flash_image /sdcard/flash_image
  • Add zergRush to your phone
    Code:
    adb push zergRush /data/local/zergRush
  • Enter interactive shell mode
    Code:
    adb shell
  • Launch zergRush
    Code:
    chmod 755 /data/local/zergRush
    /data/local/zergRush

The resulting output should be like this :
    Code:
    [**] Zerg rush - Android 2.2/2.3 local root
    [**] (C) 2011 Revolutionary. All rights reserved.

[**] Parts of code from Gingerbreak, (C) 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew.

[+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x00017118
     Sending 149 zerglings ...[ * ] Trying a new path ...[ * ] Sending 149 zerglings ...[ * ] Trying a new path ...[ * ] Sending 149 zerglings ...[ * ] Trying a new path ...[ * ] Sending 149 zerglings ...
    [+] Zerglings caused crash (good news): 0x401219c4 0x0054[ * ] Researching Metabolic Boost ...
    [+] Speedlings on the go ! 0xafd260a9 0xafd39f9f[ *] Poping 24 more zerglings[ * ] Sending 173 zerglings ...

[+] Rush did it ! It's a GG, man !
    [+] Killing ADB and restarting as root..enjoy!

Kudos you're root !! you can even exit adb, you still will be root as long as your phone is connected via usb
  • Now execute those commands :
    Code:
    cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/misc.img
    cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
    chmod 777 /data/flash_image

exit
  • Once you've exit from adb shell type this :
    Code:
    adb pull /sdcard/misc.img misc.img

• Now the misc.img is in your tools folder. Run HxD.exe and select OK when prompted.
  • Open misc.img in the current directory, and change line 11 which contains the version number of your current ROM. Change it by number of the future ROM you want to install.
    Changes will appear in red. Save the file to misc2.img.
  • Copy the img t the SDCard using this command :
    Code:
    adb push misc2.img /sdcard/misc2.img

• Return to the shell where you're root
    Code:
    adb shell
    /data/flash_image misc /sdcard/misc2.img

• After this, run the RUU installer and let it do its work !

You should have succeed :)

Please send me your hboot version and your before and after configuration of roms before and after the downgrade or upgrade following this tutorial if you succeed in it !

Experimentations :
Being root in adb allows you to do things like those who are S-OFF. If you tried something, inform me by PM for me to add informations to this part of the tuto.

Before and after configs Working:

- ROM 1.48.118.0 T-mobile Poland TO ROM 1.33.401.2 StockWWE, HBOOT 1.03, S-ON, CID: T-MOB009

- ROM 1.64.192.1 Vodafone FR TO ROM 1.30.401 Official HTC Rom, HBOOT 1.03 S-ON

- ROM T-Mobile NL rom TO ROM 1.30.401 Official HTC Rom

It seems to be not working on T-Mob USA phones, take care following steps

Special Thanks :
mphi for his tuto, aparici for his help, revolutionary for their local root

----------
Hope it will help :) ! Let me know how it's going for you !

Please click Thanks if you find the post useful :)

Last edited:

*se-nsei.

Sep 28, 2011
London
Great tut :D you should put [S-ON] in the topic title. :)

Experimentations :
Being root in adb allows you to do things like those who are S-OFF. If you tried something, inform me by PM for me to add informations to this part of the tuto.

What are the differences between adb root and permanent root? Any disadvantages?

(also, think this topic should be pinned)

Last edited:

slavislavi

Feb 25, 2008
Doesn't work for me.
Root is fine, flash edited misc is fine.
When try to flash 1.30.401.0 via RUU I get ERROR [131]: CUSTOMER ID ERROR

my phone: hboot 1.03, S-ON, cid: T-MOB009

emveefr

Sep 29, 2011
Toulouse
Great tut :D you should put [S-ON] in the topic title. :)

What are the differences between adb root and permanent root? Any disadvantages?

(also, think this topic should be pinned)

That's done :). I don't know how it could be pinned ?

I think there are no differences between them except permanent or temporary effect on the phone lol.

BTW thanks for your reply, happy that it helps !

Doesn't work for me.
Root is fine, flash edited misc is fine.
When try to flash 1.30.401.0 via RUU I get ERROR [131]: CUSTOMER ID ERROR

my phone: hboot 1.03, S-ON, cid: T-MOB009

I've never met this error, but be sure to do all the steps carefully. I do them 2 times before it works (so first time, there was an error !).

I think the operation I missed was this one : adb push flash_image /sdcard/flash_image. Which is really important !

Repeat operations, be sure of what you do and if it doesn't work I hope we could find the fix for you !

Edit : check your Goldcard, there are lot of possibilites that error is caused by this one :
- GoldCard not in the device (you're not noob like this I guess xD)
- Bad manipulation while creating Goldcard
- Change the brand of your SD Card, try Kingston one which is perfect for it

Last edited:

slavislavi

Feb 25, 2008
but be sure to do all the steps carefully. I do them 2 times before it works (so first time, there was an error !).
I tried several times, each time without error.
I also tried to change the CID in misc.img but also no effect yet.

Last edited:

emveefr

Sep 29, 2011
Toulouse
I tried several times, each time without error.
I also tried to change the CID in misc.img but also no effect for now.

Check your goldcard like I said in the edit.

The tutorial is nothing short of genius my friend. I am sure this will help all S-ON users to gain a temporary root and flash their ROM of choice. Cheers mate!

Thanks dude ! Yes that's why I thought it would be helpful for other people who are beginners like me and who wants to flash the ROM !

The key to succeed for noobs : Read, read, read, and re-read HTC dev forums :)

Last edited:

filip88888888

Sep 13, 2011
Hello,

I tried to do everything as you said in tutorial but I'm so unexperienced in rooting etc. so I failed.
I think I made a goldcard, and I moved to correct folder while being in CMD but after writing "adb push flash_image /sdcard/flash_image" I saw that:1584 KB/s (0 bytes in 76044.000s)> I think it's not good. After typing the second comment "adb push zergRush /data/local/zergRush" I saw "cannot stat 'zergRush': No such file or directory".
What am I doing wrong?

I'm sorry for my bad english.

*se-nsei.

Sep 28, 2011
London
So let me get this right.
We now have a method of rooting the WFS and having the ability to flash a new rom on to it?
Yes and no. We can install custom roms yes, but it's not permanent root it's only through adb shell and it's only tested working so far from actual operator roms first (t-mobile, vodafone) not sure if it works from generic stock down.

imlgl

Aug 15, 2010
Norfolk
Yes and no. We can install custom roms yes, but it's not permanent root it's only through adb shell and it's only tested working so far from actual operator roms first (t-mobile, vodafone) not sure if it works from generic stock down.

Well at least it's something. It can only progress from here. Feels lonely being in the S-off club :(

meanmug

Nov 10, 2008
Sector 7
Firts before all, I WILL NOT BE RESPONSABLE IF YOU'VE GOT ANY PROBLEM FOLLOWING THESE STEPS.

- DOWNGRADE from a ROM compatible HBOOT 1.03 to a ROM compatible HBOOT 0.9 (and consequently avoid RUU Output Errors)

Thanks to mphi tuto, aparici help and zergRush I managed to do it whereas with other techniques it doesn't work.

1. Installing a modified PG76IMG.ZIP (version has been modified to be after my current ROM version, modifying android-info.txt) with GoldCard and Bootloader Install
    --> Bootloader loads and checks the zip on your goldcard, but after finishing to check it goes back to bootloader menu

2. Installing with the RUU by replacing the rom.zip in temp folder. I extracted rom.zip content then change version in android-info.txt, then recompress a new zip and replace the other by the new one.

1. Download HTC Sync USB Drivers and the tools you will need here : http://mediafire.com/?wxf6y4yq6d6nc8d
  2. Download the HTC Official ROM which is hboot 0.9 here : http://www.filefactory.com/file/cbb...35.3029H_7.46.35.08_release_183799_signed.exe
  3. Back up your phone data on a SD card or something else
  4. Shut down your phone then insert GoldCard in it and power on (Creating a goldcard http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=954723)
  5. Connect your phone to your computer via USB and select HTC Sync mode (also verify USB debugging is enabled).
  6. Extract the tools at the root of your computer (example c:\tools)
  7. Run Windows CMD and move to the tools folder, then execute these commands
  8. Put the tool on your sd_card
    Code:
  9. Add zergRush to your phone
    Code:
  10. Enter interactive shell mode
    Code:
    adb shell
  11. Launch zergRush
    Code:
    /data/local/zergRush

Code:

Sending 149 zerglings ...[ * ] Trying a new path ...[ * ] Sending 149 zerglings ...[ * ] Trying a new path ...[ * ] Sending 149 zerglings ...[ * ] Trying a new path ...[ * ] Sending 149 zerglings ...
    [+] Zerglings caused crash (good news): 0x401219c4 0x0054[ * ] Researching Metabolic Boost ...
    [+] Speedlings on the go ! 0xafd260a9 0xafd39f9f[ *] Poping 24 more zerglings[ * ] Sending 173 zerglings ...

Kudos you're root !! you can even exit adb, you still will be root as long as your phone is connected via usb
  12. Now execute those commands :
    Code:

exit
  13. Once you've exit from adb shell type this :
    Code:

14. Now the misc.img is in your tools folder. Run HxD.exe and select OK when prompted.
  15. Open misc.img in the current directory, and change line 11 which contains the version number of your current ROM. Change it by number of the future ROM you want to install.
  16. Copy the img t the SDCard using this command :
    Code:

17. Return to the shell where you're root
    Code:
    adb shell

18. After this, run the RUU installer and let it do its work !

Experimentations :

Working on :

- RUU_Marvel_Vodafone_FR_LPM_1.64.192.1_Radio_47.10c .35.3030_7.47.36.19M_release_203694_signed + Hboot 1.03

Special Thanks :

----------

Good job on the tutorial emveefr, I am almost certain my problem is gonna be goldcard related, I'll get a new microsd in the morning thanks alot.

tyrone1

Feb 9, 2011
So if can get adb root can't you just go into current rom with adb and delete certain apps out of the /system/app folder????

i'm sorta a newbie at all this kinda stuff...

i got zergRush to go... then it restarted adb root which is indicated by # instead of $ correct?

But once in there i couldnt rm any of the .apk in /system/app

or any ideas which rom would be compatible with Tmobile USA wildfire s ???
build 1.62.531.3

thanks in advanced..

Last edited:

emveefr

Sep 29, 2011
Toulouse
Hello,

I tried to do everything as you said in tutorial but I'm so unexperienced in rooting etc. so I failed.
I think I made a goldcard, and I moved to correct folder while being in CMD but after writing "adb push flash_image /sdcard/flash_image" I saw that:1584 KB/s (0 bytes in 76044.000s)> I think it's not good. After typing the second comment "adb push zergRush /data/local/zergRush" I saw "cannot stat 'zergRush': No such file or directory".
What am I doing wrong?

I'm sorry for my bad english.

You know I was so inexperienced like you a few days ago. Like I said previously, read, read and read on forums to understand what you are doing.
How do you want to succeed if you don't understand the whole part ? It's not about copying the lines I put here, understand them and you will know what to do :).

BTW about your errors, transfert is not good and it cannot find zergRush because something is going wrong somewhere in your files and folders I guess.

If other users can do it themselves and succeed, just give it a try later and be patient while learning !

PS : You know I'm french and I will not criticize you on your english speaking ^^

emveefr

Sep 29, 2011
Toulouse
Good job on the tutorial emveefr, I am almost certain my problem is gonna be goldcard related, I'll get a new microsd in the morning thanks alot.

Thanks dude :). Tell us if you succeed and post your config !

So if can get adb root can't you just go into current rom with adb and delete certain apps out of the /system/app folder????

i'm sorta a newbie at all this kinda stuff...

i got zergRush to go... then it restarted adb root which is indicated by # instead of $ correct?

But once in there i couldnt rm any of the .apk in /system/app

or any ideas which rom would be compatible with Tmobile USA wildfire s ???
build 1.62.531.3

thanks in advanced..

Yes root is indicated by # in the shell. What does it say when you want to remove apk ?

About your rom sorry I don't know.

tyrone1

Feb 9, 2011
I'm sure I was doing something wrong but like I would go into /system/app/ and type rm Stock.apk

It would say directory not empty.

Can you help me how to do it step by step. I believe needs to me mounted rw.. I not familiar with the exact commands.

Thanks.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

• Download HTC Sync USB Drivers and the tools you will need here, including zergRush (found here) : http://www.mediafire.com/?z2l7n2gxznz6276
    • Download the HTC Official ROM which is hboot 0.9 here : http://www.filefactory.com/file/cbb...35.3029H_7.46.35.08_release_183799_signed.exe
    • Back up your phone data on a SD card or something else
    • Shut down your phone then insert GoldCard in it and power on (Creating a goldcard http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=954723)
    • Connect your phone to your computer via USB and select HTC Sync mode (also verify USB debugging is enabled).
    • Extract the tools at the root of your computer (example c:\tools)
    • Run Windows CMD and move to the tools folder, then execute these commands
    • Put the tool on your sd_card
      Code:
    • Add zergRush to your phone
      Code:
    • Enter interactive shell mode
      Code:
      adb shell
    • Launch zergRush
      Code:
      /data/local/zergRush

Code:

• Now execute those commands :
      Code:

exit
    • Once you've exit from adb shell type this :
      Code:

• Now the misc.img is in your tools folder. Run HxD.exe and select OK when prompted.
    • Open misc.img in the current directory, and change line 11 which contains the version number of your current ROM. Change it by number of the future ROM you want to install.
    • Copy the img t the SDCard using this command :
      Code:

• Return to the shell where you're root
      Code:
      adb shell

• After this, run the RUU installer and let it do its work !

Please send me your hboot version and your before and after configuration of roms before and after the downgrade or upgrade following this tutorial if you succeed in it !

Experimentations :

Before and after configs Working:

- ROM 1.48.118.0 T-mobile Poland TO ROM 1.33.401.2 StockWWE, HBOOT 1.03, S-ON, CID: T-MOB009

- ROM 1.64.192.1 Vodafone FR TO ROM 1.30.401 Official HTC Rom, HBOOT 1.03 S-ON

- ROM T-Mobile NL rom TO ROM 1.30.401 Official HTC Rom

It seems to be not working on T-Mob USA phones, take care following steps

Special Thanks :

----------

Just as said in the title,when i do the step "/data/local/zergRush",i met this error.I once use this method to gain adb root,but now it didn't work.So can you tell me where is wrong?

I ran into this problem... i researched the zergRush thread and this how to fix it:

adb shell rm -r /data/local/tmp/*

After that zergRush will work again!!! :) it worked for me at least

Also i tried to flash the euro rom on Tmobile USA phone.. it failed flashing... reboot to exclamation point screen.... nearly sh*tted my pants.....

but was able to flash back to tmobile 1.62 after the failed euro flash... thank god!!!!!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone