S-Pen Anatomy- What's Inside It

Rayan

Feb 24, 2004
Baja
People don't realize (or don't want to admit) this is exactly why Samsung named this an "S Pen" and not just a Stylus!

Well done to the OP!

Cheers!
Rayan

gerryjoson

Jun 2, 2006
Wow, surprising what's in there, pity for all that technology and hype over wacom tech it's still not as accurate and latency free as a basic plastic stylus on a resistive screen, personally I find the S-pen pretty disappointing for this reason, resistive has a perfectly direct and accurate feel whereas the Note feels indirect like it's processing too much software between the stylus point and whats appearing on the screen.

At least it has something though if you like clean screens and more accuracy than the total 'lack of' on any other modern capacitive screen.

Thanks OP for the picture

eug

Jan 15, 2007
Brisbane
Wow, surprising what's in there, pity for all that technology and hype over wacom tech it's still not as accurate and latency free as a basic plastic stylus on a resistive screen, personally I find the S-pen pretty disappointing for this reason,
Don't blame Wacom, blame Samsung's implementation. If you told a graphic designer that resistive is better than Wacom, they'd absolutely laugh their heads off. Hopefully the ICS update includes a calibration utility!

In the meantime, check this app out.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vital.tst.n7000

Reactions: Neebat

JayMurda

Mar 2, 2012
To open your S-Pen you may follow these steps (Ok, let me assure you, its really easy!!):

1: Procure these: a Tray or a container to operate/open your S-Pen ;) , A scalpel or a knife to tweez out the external button, a pair of Forceps to collect/handle the fine parts.

2: Take the scalpel and tweez out the external button.

3: Pull out the "The tail/terminal end of the S-Pen" that is the part labeled as 5 in the attachment of Post 1. ( IMPORTANT: Please remember, you MUST NOT TWIST, just PULL OUT STRAIGHT the "tail/terminal end of the S-Pen", because there is a groove/slot that fits in the electronic circuit and if you TWIST the "The tail/terminal end of the S-Pen", it might BREAK the groove/slot.)

4: Now turn your S-Pen upside down into the tray and all the respective parts will slide down.

5: To fix the things back, just follow the order as explained in the original post. I found it easy to use the forceps to place the "rubber ring" on the top of the "Coil", then on this I placed the "CAP" in appropriate direction such that the protrusion of the cap sits in the ring, and then on this cap I placed the "Nib"in appropriate direction such that the protrusion on the rear side of the Nib sits in the groove of the Cap. Now carefully, take the Main Body (labeled as 7 in post 1) and slide it DOWN slowly on the "arrangement" and when it reaches the end, take the "Tail/terminal end of the S-Pen" and match the groove/slot carefully and push it UP properly. Now just place the "external button" by matching the correct ends such that the little protrusion sits EXACTLY on the "electronic button".

That's it and you are DONE!!

Enjoy the surgery...
Hello

I am having a very hard time on how to remove the tail (Step 3). Is there a special trick on how to remove it safely without breaking it?

Thanks!

Ravindra9

Feb 20, 2009
Luzern
Hello

I am having a very hard time on how to remove the tail (Step 3). Is there a special trick on how to remove it safely without breaking it?

Thanks!
Hi JayMurda!
There is certainly "NO SPECIAL TRICK" accomplish step 3, however certain tips that might help you can be:
Use a damp cloth to PULL OUT (STRAIGHT) the "tail", so that you may avoid any slipping of your fingers!!. Trust me, its not very difficult to pull it out, and even that it wond demand any excess pressure. Needless to mention, you will have to judiciously use your THUMB and INDEX finger of both hands to pull it out.
As described already it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that you MUST NOT TWIST the tail (or even BEND it ) while pulling it out. JUST PULL OUT STRAIGHT the "tail/terminal end of the S-Pen", because there is a groove/slot that fits in the electronic circuit and if you TWIST the "The tail/terminal end of the S-Pen", it might BREAK the groove/slot.

Good luck dear!!!

RudiRulez

Mar 31, 2012
www.ccmmad.co.uk
Had mine apart the other day due to it being always on, as in whenever whenever I was within 8mm of the screen it would start to draw etc, turned out to be part 3 on your list was mangled due to bad manufacturing or my heavy handedness I dont know but either way I replaced it with some fluffy cotton and my pen is working great again.

PeartFan40

Jun 15, 2007
South Hadley, Ma. USA
Wow, surprising what's in there, pity for all that technology and hype over wacom tech it's still not as accurate and latency free as a basic plastic stylus on a resistive screen, personally I find the S-pen pretty disappointing for this reason, resistive has a perfectly direct and accurate feel whereas the Note feels indirect like it's processing too much software between the stylus point and whats appearing on the screen.

At least it has something though if you like clean screens and more accuracy than the total 'lack of' on any other modern capacitive screen.

Thanks OP for the picture
Not sure what problems you are having with the s-pen, but mine works great. I've noticed a couple of small, minor issues, which is to be expected with new technology. The Note is the first phone to use this technology, and will improve as time passes.

Sent from my Galaxy Note (SGH-i717) using XDA Premium.

JayMurda

Mar 2, 2012
Hi JayMurda!
There is certainly "NO SPECIAL TRICK" accomplish step 3, however certain tips that might help you can be:
Use a damp cloth to PULL OUT (STRAIGHT) the "tail", so that you may avoid any slipping of your fingers!!. Trust me, its not very difficult to pull it out, and even that it wond demand any excess pressure. Needless to mention, you will have to judiciously use your THUMB and INDEX finger of both hands to pull it out.
As described already it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that you MUST NOT TWIST the tail (or even BEND it ) while pulling it out. JUST PULL OUT STRAIGHT the "tail/terminal end of the S-Pen", because there is a groove/slot that fits in the electronic circuit and if you TWIST the "The tail/terminal end of the S-Pen", it might BREAK the groove/slot.

Good luck dear!!!
Thx for reply but it sound like youre saying its really easy to pull it out but I even use a pliers to pull the tail out but still no success. I am really having a difficult time pulling it out. Anyone else have the same problem? How did you open your pen?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

bhaffar

Jul 5, 2007
S Pen Tip - Is it supposed to look like this?

Hello. Just got a new Note and was wondering if the tip of the S Pen is supposed to look like it was pushed too far inwards? Have a look and let me know if yours looks the same. Thanks. BH

PeartFan40

Jun 15, 2007
South Hadley, Ma. USA
Hello. Just got a new Note and was wondering if the tip of the S Pen is supposed to look like it was pushed too far inwards? Have a look and let me know if yours looks the same. Thanks. BH

This looks completely normal to me. My S-Pen, my friends, and his wife's pen all look identical. Its just the design of it. Nothing to be worried about. All is good.

Sent from my Galaxy Note (SGH-i717) using XDA Premium.

Reactions: bhaffar

galaxynoter

May 1, 2012
RAvindra.. thanks a lot for the useful information and sharing your skills. I appreciate the layout and everything u have shown. Since the components in the pen are powered by electromagnetism, that means that the pen has 0 current flow when not in proximity to the digitizer.

I have one question about the cap which is made of iron? Is it a magnet by default? if so, Will dropping the pen about 1meter from the floor damage the pen as a whole, considering the fact that the coil and other components are non-magnetised? A fall could cause the magnet to lose its strength?

Ravindra9

Feb 20, 2009
Luzern
RAvindra.. thanks a lot for the useful information and sharing your skills. I appreciate the layout and everything u have shown. Since the components in the pen are powered by electromagnetism, that means that the pen has 0 current flow when not in proximity to the digitizer.

I have one question about the cap which is made of iron? Is it a magnet by default? if so, Will dropping the pen about 1meter from the floor damage the pen as a whole, considering the fact that the coil and other components are non-magnetised? A fall could cause the magnet to lose its strength?
Hi Galaxynoter, Thanks for your appreciation and interest in the article.

Please note the cap is made of iron and is not a "magnet" by default as when I bring it near a simple iron objects, it does not show magnetic behavior (attraction) on its own. However, I will certainly endorse your view that dropping the S-Pen from over 1 meter "may" damage the S-Pen as the impact (if powerful enough) may cause the "disarticulate" the optimally placed circuitry and tit-bits, which IMO are rather not so well fit against each other.
I am sure you would have already come across various article by now on how this S-Pen (which is similar to a WACOM pen) works. Typically, these devices take advantage of electromagnetic resonance technology developed by Wacom Co. Ltd. according to which position analysis of the stylus is done by sending and receiving back radio waves from the screen to the stylus. On an electronic level, the screen has a grid of wires below it. This grid of wire alternates between transmit and receive modes about every 20 microseconds.
You may see this link for more details: http://www.tablet4u.co.uk/techinfo.html

PeartFan40

Jun 15, 2007
South Hadley, Ma. USA
Anyone know of a site that's selling 3rd party 'S-Pens'?
Yep, amazon.com has them for.$30. If you do a google search, you should be able to find a few places selling them.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
XDA Rules: http://forum.xda-developers.com/announcement.php?a=81

10 Post Rule: http://www.xda-developers.com/announcements/xdas-10-post-rule/

XDA Marketplace Rules: http://www.xda-developers.com/announcements/market-place-rules-updated/

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Sent from my Galaxy Note i717, using XDA Premium.

Flash05

Jul 13, 2010
is there a way to fix the calibration. i noticed that the tip matches the screen only if the pen is slanted regardless if left or right-handed.

if you try to write while the pen is 90% perpendicular the dot isn't centered or beneath the tip of the pen.

thepaj

Mar 27, 2011
Adjusting S Pen sensitivity

I just want to report in that I had some trouble with the S Pen being to insensitive, requiring a rather hard press to register. I pried off the button as described here and adjusted the BACK potentiometer.
There is a small marker hole in the potentiometer, and it was at about 7 oclock if you hold the pen with the nib pointing to your left. I adjusted it to about 5 oclock but then it registered "air touches". At 6 oclock it was perfect.

And no, I did not touch the front potentiometer. :)
imgur.com/EwBXH

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone