S-Pen Anatomy- What's Inside It

ngocdao

Sep 16, 2011
Honolulu, HI
is there a way to fix the calibration. i noticed that the tip matches the screen only if the pen is slanted regardless if left or right-handed.

if you try to write while the pen is 90% perpendicular the dot isn't centered or beneath the tip of the pen.
That is calibrated. Supposedly the offset ks suppose to help you see what you're writing.

Theres an app in the market that changes it til your reference. Forgot the name though.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

abubasim

Jul 3, 2006
Muscat
I just had a thought, could this explain the offset problems some users have reported? Since all of the Notes are imports, perhaps some subset of s-pens were subject to enhanced scanning/x-raying that exposed them to damaging magnetic fields.
How about the X-ray you put your carry-on luggage through at the airport? My GNote has been through this four times the past two weeks and the stylus still works fine.

Ravindra9

Feb 20, 2009
Luzern
How about the X-ray you put your carry-on luggage through at the airport? My GNote has been through this four times the past two weeks and the stylus still works fine.
I dont think that XRay scanners would adversely impact the S-Pen (or wacom digitizers). I say this based on my personal experience. I travel extensively, with NLT 8 to 10 scan/exposes to my gNote (and even to my Thinkpad X220 T, which also has a digitizer pen, with similar technology, and of course it also gets scanned at the airport with gNote!!)

I must say that compared to the digitizer pen of my X220 T, the S-Pen is pretty delicate/fragile, such that even a simple fall can ruin the S-Pen, but then, it can always be REPAIRED too, by simply opening the S-Pen and fixing everything (as described in OP) properly such that each respective part is gripping tightly against its respective counter part.

Flash05

Jul 13, 2010
That is calibrated. Supposedly the offset ks suppose to help you see what you're writing.

Theres an app in the market that changes it til your reference. Forgot the name though.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
after upgrade from ics. the only angle i cant write wherein the tip is directly underneath is at 8:00 position left hand. obviously opposite for right hand.

this wasn't the case when i was in GB.

syncopath

Oct 31, 2005
Amsterdam
This I think (requires root!). I haven't tried it myself as I haven't needed it. My pen sometimes starts offsetting a little too much, but I have always found that if I exit the app and then go back into it, the pen has recalibrated of its own accord. I use the pen in most apps as I work with Graffiti (like I did on my Wallaby and the Palm V before it). For the Note I installed the Graffiti Pro app and it works splendidly.

damoj

Jun 23, 2008
im also have trouble with the third step.

my pen is not the original one that came with the note. its the one you can buy from amazon with the holder.

noticed that the tail is black on yours, it is grey on mine.

anyone have suggestions

PeartFan40

Jun 15, 2007
South Hadley, Ma. USA
the S-Pen is pretty delicate/fragile, such that even a simple fall can ruin the S-pen.

I've dropped my s-pen so much, I've lost count (big hands make it difficult to hold), and it still works like a charm. Aside from the button, the s-pen is solid state, so I can't see it breaking from a fall.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" ~Rush

Sent from my Galaxy Note (i717), using XDA Premium Transparent Edition.

petersteier

Aug 9, 2010
Political statements should go somewhere else

If you know how tesla wanted to make tesla coils as weapons so they disintegrate soldiers and vehicles that was in the path/range of it. You would don't want to advertise it too.
This political statement is so weird, it's almost funny. Every technology can be used as a weapon, and Tesla was not the only one promoting his findings as weapons. He is still highly regarded as a scientist, a the choice of his name as unit for magnetic fields demonstrates. Einstein spawned the development of the US atomic bomb and the peace Nobel price winner Sakharov actually developed the Russian Hydrogen bomb. We are no better humans than other people.
Sorry, I had to say that, in honor of a great scientist, with very interresting curriculum vitae.

petersteier

Aug 9, 2010
Spen can hoover

By chance I found out that the spen on the android can hoover: when using google docs from dolphin with desktop agent, the highlighted entry of the dropdown menus just follows the tip of the pen, without touching. Touching then performs the click.
Developers! Give us a haircross below the hovering pen, like on a real tablet! Every interaction becomes much more precise.

Actually, I bought the calibration software (for root) mentioned above. It does not help much, because the Note recalibrates the digitizer on every screen unlock. If the focus is off, screen lock/unlock always corrects that for me.

---------- Post added 18th June 2012 at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 17th June 2012 at 11:22 PM ----------

On ICS, hoovering pointer can be switched on in settings.

Last edited:

krypton_the_slayer

Oct 9, 2010
Portsmouth
Yup, as manhattan212 mentions, it's a Wacom digitizer. Almost any Wacom digitizer pen will work with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacom#Technology
Er, Afraid not. There are only 7 official Wacom pens that work. Most Tablet pc pens should work. Cintiq 17 and 19" pens will work. Bambo, Graphire, Intous pens will not work.They use slightly differen technology, probably different frequency.

I did post somewhere else about exactly which pens but basically, only very old artpad, ultrapad pens will work or as above, or any pen whose model number starts with UP will work, though some of the tablet pens don't follow this naming rule.

More info found here at forums.bongofish.co.uk

The are some pens from a chinese seller on ebay. The have the Model numer UP-701 something, I bought one for our UP1212R tablet and it works on the Note.

See my orginal post here. Loads of 100% accurate info

Someone should put this stuff in the Wiki, will save people buying wrong pens!

Last edited:

dragonfly14

Jun 27, 2012
i cant open my S-Pen. i ordered a replacement from china but itll be here in over two weeks and i miss my S-Pen so much already. it started dying quite suddenly, had a ~ 5mm dead zone on each side of the screen, then it started being unable to be detected, then i had to press really hard to get it to do anything, then it stopped doing anything. no amount of force can get it to open and no amount of adjusting does anything.... i hope i didnt fry my note 2 but that i fried the s-pen. i killed it while playing World At arms for android, and probably tapped the screen 40 000 times with the s-pen in under 1 week.....

i used two pliers and kleenex, and i cant pull it appart no matter how hard i clamp down and pull. the s-pen now has some damage on it. any other tips other than "pull hard and straight out the back"?

paraiso-san

Aug 19, 2011
Coimbra
I just took a "scalpel and tweezers" to open the S-Pen and have prepared this image for you.

Check it out to see whats inside your great Galaxy notes' S-Pen!! All the parts are arranged in the picture in the right order as they are actually placed in the S-Pen.

Just to complete the label legends:

1: The Nib (The front end of the nib is what we see pointing out and use for writing/drawing etc. The other end of this nib has a "protrusion" that fits in the hole of the "cap" )

2: The Cap (as mentioned, one end of this cap has a small hole that fits in the nib, while the other end has a "protrusion" that fits in the "rubber ring"). I checked with a magnet and found its made of "iron".

3: The Ring (it is made of rubber and sits between the "cap" and the "coil" part of the electronic circuit.

4a: Coil: Its wounded on a little iron rod and connected with the "electronic circuit".

4b: Electronic circuit: It has a little button (thats where I have marked the arrow and labeled as 4b). This little button is what actually gets pressed when we press the "external button" of S-Pen.

5: The tail/terminal end of the S-Pen: This is what is needs to be pulled out to take out the entire circuitry and the little parts out of the S-Pen!!

6: The External Button: This is whats needs to be TWIZZED out, so that the entire circuitry and the little parts can slide out from the terminal end of the S-Pen!!

7: The main body: You can see this body and make out now how everything is fit-in properly!

I did not find any direct source of electricity in the S-Pen, and thus based on principles of electronics, its apparent that the small little movement (kinetic energy) produced by the "NIB" due to action of writing/drawing etc.must be exciting the electrons (electric energy) in the wounded COIL (magnetic influx), which is used by the circuit for appropriate action!! (Well, this is my own guess and I am welcoming appropriate suggestions. :)

So that's it!! I opened my S-Pen as it was not functioning properly after it fell down due to which I was required to "press the pen" a lot to write / draw. So I just opened and just "RE-PLACED" respective parts properly and my S-Pen is working fine now!!!

I guess this info can be useful if you have similar troubles!! Nevertheless, this ANATOMY is still helpful to SEE into this beautiful tool of this Superb Device!!!

And yesss... if you found this useful... a click at the THANKS BUTTON shall well be appreciated!!!
Thank you! How did you remove the "tail" (part number 5)? Mine got scratched and bought a new one on eBay, but I don't know how to remove the old one to put in the new one.

Last edited:

Ravindra9

Feb 20, 2009
Luzern
Thank you! How did you remove the "tail" (part number 5)? Mine got scratched and bought a new one on eBay, but I don't know how to remove the old one to put in the new one.
Hi paraiso-san! Removing the tail is not at all difficult, although its a bit tricky. I can give you some tips as below:
Please use a piece of cloth, thick enough (Ummm... like a fabric napkin is good idea), to avoid any SCRATCHES on the tail body.
You can slightly wet this cloth so that it give you a better grip.
Then, please remember, you DO NOT have to TWIST this tail. Simply PULL IT OUT- STRAIGHT.
Important: Please look at the picture in original post # 1, and pay attention to the area just above the arrow of part 5. You will note that "Anatomically" the TAIL has circular grips that neatly fits into the opposite grips of the main body (part no. 7, in the picture). This is important to note that you MUST NOT HOLD THIS PART while pulling apart the tail, as in that case you will be actually applying more pressure on the grip, and you will thus be holding this part of the TAIL even more strongly, thereby making it even more difficult to open it. So you SHOULD thus try to hold the main body more toward its center part, and with other hand, hold the tail, may be by putting your thumb towards the elevated part of the tail (by elevated part, I mean the part which just begins at the last letter of "SAMSUNG" logo on the tail.
So this way, simply PULL this APART-STRAIGHT. And the tail should come out.
I have tried to explain it in rather simple terms, and pardon me if it sounds too simplistic. I did so, as in past too, I received several mails, asking about the same issue of pulling out the tail.
I hope I have helped you satisfactorily... Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: paraiso-san

paraiso-san

Aug 19, 2011
Coimbra
Hi paraiso-san! Removing the tail is not at all difficult, although its a bit tricky. I can give you some tips as below:
Please use a piece of cloth, thick enough (Ummm... like a fabric napkin is good idea), to avoid any SCRATCHES on the tail body.
You can slightly wet this cloth so that it give you a better grip.
Then, please remember, you DO NOT have to TWIST this tail. Simply PULL IT OUT- STRAIGHT.
Important: Please look at the picture in original post # 1, and pay attention to the area just above the arrow of part 5. You will note that "Anatomically" the TAIL has circular grips that neatly fits into the opposite grips of the main body (part no. 7, in the picture). This is important to note that you MUST NOT HOLD THIS PART while pulling apart the tail, as in that case you will be actually applying more pressure on the grip, and you will thus be holding this part of the TAIL even more strongly, thereby making it even more difficult to open it. So you SHOULD thus try to hold the main body more toward its center part, and with other hand, hold the tail, may be by putting your thumb towards the elevated part of the tail (by elevated part, I mean the part which just begins at the last letter of "SAMSUNG" logo on the tail.
So this way, simply PULL this APART-STRAIGHT. And the tail should come out.
I have tried to explain it in rather simple terms, and pardon me if it sounds too simplistic. I did so, as in past too, I received several mails, asking about the same issue of pulling out the tail.
I hope I have helped you satisfactorily... Cheers!
Thank you!

Enviado do meu GT-N7105 através de Tapatalk