S pen detection problem

Search This thread

ilmar72

Aug 30, 2009
Hi,

Im curious if anyone here knows how the Note 4 knows when the spen is detached. I had my phone apart to re attache the screen which the flex cables fell off the motherboard of after I dropped it.

Now my phone doesn't detect the spen. I can not find anything on the motherboard that is not attached. Everything looks like its in proper order.

Is there a physical lever or something that the spen should be depressing which tells the hone that the spen is attached?

Thanks for your help

BACARDILIMON

Jun 12, 2010
MASTIC BEACH NY
hi,

im curious if anyone here knows how the note 4 knows when the spen is detached. I had my phone apart to re attache the screen which the flex cables fell off the motherboard of after i dropped it.

Now my phone doesn't detect the spen. I can not find anything on the motherboard that is not attached. Everything looks like its in proper order.

Is there a physical lever or something that the spen should be depressing which tells the hone that the spen is attached?

Thanks for your help
uploadfromtaptalk1429983411174.jpg

bad ass note 4

ilmar72

Aug 30, 2009

Thank you for your speedy reply. I do know that piece is still in my phone. I'm going to take it back apart to see if somehow that piece has been disconnected from the motherboard. eghhh. which most likely means I have to take the screen back off after I applied all that double stick tape...

Do you have any idea how that piece is connected to the motherboard? Flex cable?

ilmar72

Aug 30, 2009
The sensor most likely broke on impact

BAD ASS NOTE 4

I was thinking that could be the problem. THe phone dropped form about 10 feet onto a tile floor. I couldn't believe the screen didn't shatter however it wouldn't turn on because the flex cables popped off the motherboard.

DO you know if this is a serviceable piece? or if the only way to fix this is to replace the motherboard? which in case Ill live with the phone not being able to detect the spen removal

BACARDILIMON

Jun 12, 2010
MASTIC BEACH NY
I was thinking that could be the problem. THe phone dropped form about 10 feet onto a tile floor. I couldn't believe the screen didn't shatter however it wouldn't turn on because the flex cables popped off the motherboard.

DO you know if this is a serviceable piece? or if the only way to fix this is to replace the motherboard? which in case Ill live with the phone not being able to detect the spen removal
You gotta contact Samsung for part number and price and also to see if it comes apart or with board. I very shock just cables popped off. U got lucky. Before spending any money find the dialer code to test all sensors. See if it even worth it.

BAD ASS NOTE 4

ilmar72

Aug 30, 2009
I took the phone apart again.

That white rubber piece is nothing more than a bumper. There is absolutely nothing attached to it. I pulled it out, and put it back in.
I'm wondering if something is wrong with the actual s-pen sensor (thin liner that's behind the screen)... but from everything that I have seen that sensor is just for the spen when you write on the screen. I have no problems with the screen detecting the s pen

My guess is that You're right... The spen detector broke during the fall.. I guess its some kind of proximity sensor .

If anyone else has any information on how the Note4 detects when the spen is removed please chime in!

Thanks again.

BACARDILIMON

Jun 12, 2010
MASTIC BEACH NY
I took the phone apart again.

That white rubber piece is nothing more than a bumper. There is absolutely nothing attached to it. I pulled it out, and put it back in.
I'm wondering if something is wrong with the actual s-pen sensor (thin liner that's behind the screen)... but from everything that I have seen that sensor is just for the spen when you write on the screen. I have no problems with the screen detecting the s pen

My guess is that You're right... The spen detector broke during the fall.. I guess its some kind of proximity sensor .

If anyone else has any information on how the Note4 detects when the spen is removed please chime in!

Thanks again.
uploadfromtaptalk1430070355827.png
You sure ur settings are done right

BAD ASS NOTE 4

phrotac

Mar 8, 2009
Fort Smith, AR
Hi,

Im curious if anyone here knows how the Note 4 knows when the spen is detached...

I know this is an old post but I spent all night searching for the same problem and I thought others may do the same. Here is the sensor that detects removal s pen insertion and removal. Picture attached to this post.

Sorry, wrong pic :redface:

I discovered I "knocked" a couple of "parts" off of that sensor when I removed my screen with my spudger [emoji35] . Anyway, the button still works but it doesn't light up anymore.

Attachments

• S_PEN_ATTACHED-DETACHED_SENSOR.JPG
    S_PEN_ATTACHED-DETACHED_SENSOR.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 885
Last edited:

JKist3

Dec 29, 2016
HAHA unbelievable. I just had the same problem, saw this thread with no solution, figured it out myself, and got on to post the solution after I got back from being out of town for Christmas only to find someone else beat me to it on a 2 yr old thread! Anyway, I can confirm this is correct. When removing the screen, I slightly cut into the flex cable connecting the sensor to the board and my spen detection stopped. I ordered a new (tmobile) note 4 charging dock on ebay for $6 and after the replacement everything works like it should.

Reactions: phrotac

phrotac

Mar 8, 2009
Fort Smith, AR
HAHA unbelievable. I just had the same problem, saw this thread with no solution, figured it out myself, and got on to post the solution after I got back from being out of town for Christmas only to find someone else beat me to it on a 2 yr old thread! Anyway, I can confirm this is correct. When removing the screen, I slightly cut into the flex cable connecting the sensor to the board and my spen detection stopped. I ordered a new (tmobile) note 4 charging dock on ebay for $6 and after the replacement everything works like it should.
Lmao! I know right?! I'm tracking mine now. DHL is carrying it from California so no telling when it will reach me here in Arkansas. I found no solution on line so I began to investigate on my own (that college degree in electronics comes in handy once in a while heehee). I was just about to start probing around (blindly of course since I have no schematic) when I notice a tiny chip stuck in the adhesive of the right soft key pad. That's when I realized what had happened and how it happened. This thread was old but it came in at the top of the list every time I searched using the word "s pen" in my search, no matter what I used as my key phrase haha. One thing I know for certain is that our Note 4's have a superior s pen sensor design over the Note 5 ??

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone