• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

S20 FE 5G - US Unlocked Version Dual-Sim Capable?

Search This thread

alzg22

Dec 2, 2010
So I just picked up my S20 FE 5G today. Super excited - can't stand all these higher end Samsungs with the curved screens. Never thought I'd say it, but I believe in a flat screen - guess that makes me a flat-screener :D

I was pleasantly surprised to find out the version I purchased from Best Buy was a factory-unlocked SM-G781U1/DS - and in fact, came with a factory dual-sim hybrid tray (1 nano sim + 1 nano sim or microSD).

However, your typical dual-sim controls aren't available within the configuration panel.

Just curious if anyone elsed recieved their unlocked version with the dual-sim designation in the US, and if so, does anyone know a method to enable the dual-sim functionality?

I'm taking a shot in the dark here - seems like Samsung just released a single version of the S20 FE 5G for global markets, however, may of disabled the 2nd sim slot at a software level. Wondering if changing the carrier designation or something could potentially be a workaround (as in changing the CSC or something).

If this thing is truly a dual-sim US market Samsung S20, that's absolutely wild. I'd probably keep this phone forever.

aNFcj9u.jpg

Reactions: Tanvir2rasel
Nov 15, 2010
the US unlocked version is not a dual physical SIM version.
Samsung says there is a eSIM in there but in the US, none of the carriers support samsung eSIM yet, which really sucks.

InfX

May 1, 2008
Carefully watching this thread as well, hoping for a dual SIM functionality, and, maybe, some new info on enabling the eSIM (which is CSC-disabled on other S20 phones in US) and using it as one of the SIMs. Not having any high hopes, though. The tray likely got the second SIM marking simply because one injection mold setup is cheaper than multiple ones, and isn't an indication of a hidden feature.

aviseqdas

May 19, 2012
Minneapolis
I am curious too, because I got excited that the sim card tray literally says SIM2, I did insert 2 sims and restarted the phone but it still did not enable the 2nd sim. May be it can be enabled in the ROM? or some other settings!

Kostanos

Feb 15, 2009
I'm having the same issue. I got mine from B&H photos a few weeks ago, configured it with Google Fi.
But when came back home to Ukraine, surprisedly realized that I can't use my local second SIM.
Now it is to late to return. The only hope is to find a way to enable the second SIM or eSIM support.

el6006

Sep 2, 2010
Does a factory reset erase any changes made in the service menus? I think I changed back any changes I made regarding the LTE bands in the first post first section but my phone has been getting slower than usual download speeds on LTE.

Sorry wrong thread.

I know this is an old thread but the dual sim works when you travel outside the US and put a sim from a different country in the sim 2 slot. Verizon does however support the dual sim in US but one of the sims has to be an eSIM. At lest from what I've read. Going to California soon and I'll go by Mexico and see if I can't get the 2nd sim to work with a sim from Mexico. Unsurprisingly you don't have to be in a different country to use their towers, just by it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I just picked up my S20 FE 5G today. Super excited - can't stand all these higher end Samsungs with the curved screens. Never thought I'd say it, but I believe in a flat screen - guess that makes me a flat-screener :D

I was pleasantly surprised to find out the version I purchased from Best Buy was a factory-unlocked SM-G781U1/DS - and in fact, came with a factory dual-sim hybrid tray (1 nano sim + 1 nano sim or microSD).

However, your typical dual-sim controls aren't available within the configuration panel.

Just curious if anyone elsed recieved their unlocked version with the dual-sim designation in the US, and if so, does anyone know a method to enable the dual-sim functionality?

I'm taking a shot in the dark here - seems like Samsung just released a single version of the S20 FE 5G for global markets, however, may of disabled the 2nd sim slot at a software level. Wondering if changing the carrier designation or something could potentially be a workaround (as in changing the CSC or something).

If this thing is truly a dual-sim US market Samsung S20, that's absolutely wild. I'd probably keep this phone forever.

aNFcj9u.jpg
    the US unlocked version is not a dual physical SIM version.
    Samsung says there is a eSIM in there but in the US, none of the carriers support samsung eSIM yet, which really sucks.

Isn't it kind of odd that they include the dual-sim tray? Like it literally says "SIM 2" on the slot.