• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

S20 FE Amoled screen is not truly black [issue]

Search This thread

williamtavares

Jan 23, 2013
São Paulo
I noticed at bedtime that this phone's panel didn't get those deep blacks we come to expect from samsung panels, i remeber in 2012 i had the same issue with my galaxy S2, i can see the black being lit like it was an LCD panel.

black image 0% brightness at 60hz = i can clearly see the display back-light.

black image 0% brightness at 120hz = it behaves like an amoled panel should, i can't see a thing.

The phone is running the latest software, oneui 3.1 + May patch.

Is this a known software bug? I think i'll return this phone because of this.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Try clearing the system cache
Try a hard reboot
Doesn't it have variable display frequency depending on what you're viewing ie static picture vs scrolling?
Could that be coming into play?
A glitch. You can't clear the graphic driver data but maybe the apk that controls the variable rate if separate from that.
You haven't done any major firmware upgrades, right?
I haven't play with the higher refresh rate displays, pretty much love my 10+/Pie.

Otherwise...
If you're within your return window, do so.

williamtavares

Jan 23, 2013
São Paulo
Try clearing the system cache
Try a hard reboot
Doesn't it have variable display frequency depending on what you're viewing ie static picture vs scrolling?
Could that be coming into play?
A glitch. You can't clear the graphic driver data but maybe the apk that controls the variable rate if separate from that.
You haven't done any major firmware upgrades, right?
I haven't play with the higher refresh rate displays, pretty much love my 10+/Pie.

Otherwise...
If you're within your return window, do so.
phone came already running latest software, i got it 3 days ago.

Nov 13, 2016
big retail store.
maybe some calibration issue? however someone tested on his device and had pitch black on both refresh rate so i think thats a faulty panel.
I've not personally used an S20 FE , but am a samsung user myself.

it should be pitch black.

are you sure the picture was absolute black and not slightly gray ?

if it was an absolute black image , the screen should not emit no light at all irrespective of what brightness you put it in , since it is black.

williamtavares

Jan 23, 2013
São Paulo

if it was an absolute black image , the screen should not emit no light at all irrespective of what brightness you put it in , since it is black.
yeah i used different sources for this, including some apps.
i had many amoled display phones before, this was my first samsung phone since the s2 i had in 2012, bummer.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
There is a setting for variable current verses pulse modulation for brightness, I can't recall what they call it. Try using the variable current setting.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

yeah i used different sources for this, including some apps.
    i had many amoled display phones before, this was my first samsung phone since the s2 i had in 2012, bummer.
    either you bought some cheap a$$ black market fakes or its some software fu*k up in the brightness department.
    big retail store.
    maybe some calibration issue? however someone tested on his device and had pitch black on both refresh rate so i think thats a faulty panel.