• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

S20 maximum safe charge?

Search This thread

Deonix

Dec 13, 2009
Bucharest
I just bought a Snapdragon S20 FE. It has the SD865, of course.

I am posting this here since there are more users active that can share their knowledge and as far as I can read we have the same HW.
USB Power Delivery 3.0 charging- 25W support.
It comes in the box with a 15W.
I want to use it with my HTC QC 3.0 charger. HTC deviated fron the QC standard for their lineup but I haven't had any issues charging multiple devices.

As far as I know it's not OK or recommended to go above 3000 mA when charging. I always check chargers and cables (Type-C) to be sure I don't fry my ports or phones. I use the Ampere App on the Playstore.
Using the HTC QC 3.0 charger and HTC cable -I get. 3100 mA and 4.1V. I don't have the Samsung charger with me to test right now but it's the slower. These value go down as heat or % go up.

Are these values normal?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
The phone's power controller won't allow excess current and actively regulates it when fast charging. If too cold it will default to slow charging in order to help protect the battery.

Deonix

Dec 13, 2009
Bucharest
The phone's power controller won't allow excess current and actively regulates it when fast charging. If too cold it will default to slow charging in order to help protect the battery.

Thanks for your response. When I said i know it's not recommended to go above 3000 mA I was thinking of my experience with SD QC. I am not talking about OnePlus Dash Charge or other simillar custom solutions. Trying to figure out the PD 3.0 standard now. All my cables are good.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Thanks for your response. When I said i know it's not recommended to go above 3000 mA I was thinking of my experience with SD QC. I am not talking about OnePlus Dash Charge or other simillar custom solutions. Trying to figure out the PD 3.0 standard now. All my cables are good.

It's a mess. With Samsung the easiest way is to use their 25 watt brick and approved cable.
I may be wrong but don't think fast charging will not work with any power source; the phone controller actively communicates with the charger.
The phone controller actively regulates the charge curve throughout the charge cycle.

On the 10+ with the 25 watt brick it gains 2% @ minute in the 30-80% or so range if the temperature is within its correct parameters.
The 45 watt brick adds more on the lower end of the charge curve but as not near much as the wattage difference suggests.

Deonix

Dec 13, 2009
Bucharest
It's a mess. With Samsung the easiest way is to use their 25 watt brick and approved cable.
The 45 watt brick adds more on the lower end of the charge curve but as not near much as the wattage difference suggests.

I have QC chargers. I am not inclined to buy a 25W Samsung charger as I consider it a subpar product. It had to be said. After years of Fast Charging I find Samsung solution in 2020 bad. They are lagging behind OP, Xiaomi etc. But they heavily discount their phones so, here we are. Also, the Samsung cables.... but good cables are everywhere now.

Can you share your Volts and Amps from the Ampere App, used with the 25W charger in the 30-80% range?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
No clue and it would vary. Might try that apk if it works on unrooted phones.
The difference once in fast charge mode isn't worth worrying about though. Takes me 10 minutes to get a 20% midrange charge.
Li's prefer short frequent midrange charge cycles.

Note: was looking that app. It looks like it needs screen on to monitor the charge.
If so that will throw off the charge curve. You can use bt and listen to Poweramp (screen off) without disrupting the curve much but screen on draws too much power.
At that point the phone will revert to slow charging.

Last edited:

Deonix

Dec 13, 2009
Bucharest
No clue and it would vary. Might try that apk if it works on unrooted phones.
The difference once in fast charge mode isn't worth worrying about though. Takes me 10 minutes to get a 20% midrange charge.

Ampere is non-root. It shows Live data. It's not for monitoring over a long period of time. For example: I tested my 65W type C laptop charger into my HTC. Of course it went up to 3.5 Amps in 10 seconds. Pulled it off after 15 seconds. As the laptop charger is fast charge for my laptop it goes up to 5A. My phone cannot handle that.

So if you run the Ampere app and are between 20-80% at 25-35 degrees Celsius(measured at the battery sensor). It will show your charging parameters in 10-20 seconds. No problem measuring those values there.

I know 3.1 amps is not far from 3 amps and it stays that way. Maybe I am being over zealous. I don't think that 3.1 amps will ruin my phone. My experienced is based on reading about this in the early days of Type-C when HTC adopted this on the 10. It had 18W QC 3.0... in 2016. Glad I have a 15W charger in late 2020. Actually, I am glad I have a charger :))).

Last edited: