Question S21 Ultra camera lens scratches

Search This thread

shetty08

Jun 13, 2016
Hello Everyone,

Been using the S21U for 2 weeks now and I have recently noticed micro scratches on the lens element!

The phone is in transparent TPU case since day 1 and I have hardly went outdoors. I traded off my S20+ and the camera bump didn't had a single line from 10 months of usage.

Has anyone encountered this? Maybe others can have a closer look now at their devices.

Any insights, suggestions on what needs to be done or can be prevented will be welcome!

Reactions: NippleSauce

satanatos

Aug 30, 2010
Really sorry to hear that. Just out of precaution, I have placed a whitestone dome glass protector on mine, just because I dont want to experience anything like that with a EUR1300 phone. Not that much expensive and you get two protectors in the box.

Reactions: SomeXGhost

oae08

Nov 5, 2012
Beirut
Hello Everyone,

Been using the S21U for 2 weeks now and I have recently noticed micro scratches on the lens element!

The phone is in transparent TPU case since day 1 and I have hardly went outdoors. I traded off my S20+ and the camera bump didn't had a single line from 10 months of usage.

Has anyone encountered this? Maybe others can have a closer look now at their devices.

Any insights, suggestions on what needs to be done or can be prevented will be welcome!
how was it scratched? only from keys?

NippleSauce

• Jun 23, 2013
    Be very wary of scratching this phone. I recently figured out that the S21 Ultra supposedly does not have the same Victus glass design as the Note 20 Ultra... It has a slightly modified form of Victus that's much, much thinner (as it's covered by another, easily scratch-able glass material...and so the cameras might be like this too)... So instead of being resistant to most micro-scratches, they are actually easier to get and become permanent immediately on this phone (learned this by scratching my display with denim jeans - no metal/button contact) =(.

I'm just assuming that they're doing this to increase their glass repair jobs... Granted, Apple has been doing this with their iPhones for an extremely long time now... But hey, Samsung has started acting kinda like they're the Apple-like company of Android, lol.

Darbar1701

Nov 25, 2016
    I'm a stainless steel fabricator do I'm in the worst possible job for scratching phones so have the screen and camera protected, ESR TPU for the front and LK glass for the camera, don't even notice they are on at all and only coast 20 yo-yos for both

Illrigger

Sep 8, 2007
    The lenses don't scratch easily, but depending on what you do during your day you might end up with stuff in your pockets that will do it. There are a lot of glass protectors for the cameras out there for the S21U, for example in the US you can get a 2-pack from Spigen for $12, and a bunch more that are even cheaper.

If you get one, get one of the blacked out ones, You will get artifacts in your photos from the flash/AF light as they get channeled across the glass of the protector if you don't; learned that one from using clear cases over the years. :)

Reactions: hitteam

nightoooo

Jun 17, 2016
    Are you sure the lenses are scratched or the camera bump? Because the camera bump is not made of glass! It's metal and the darker colors of phones will be a horrible one, especially phantom black!!

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    That's not the lense. It's a factory protector.
    May have been marred during assembly.
    Don't sweat as it can be replaced if needed. A very slight may no effect the images at all but because the otherall area is so small it might. Protectors are a waste of money; it -is- the lense protector!
    Any added optic elements will degrade the image.

It's possible to polish out micro scratches with a clean, dry finger tip by rubbing back and forth on glass or antireflective coatings. Takes at least 30 minutes or more... if it really bugs you. Yes dry callus is abrasive and hard enough to polish glass.
    Likewise even the smallest amount of grit, sand etc rubbed against it by your finger can marred it.
    Don't use that opening in the case as a pickup point.

It can also be marred by improper cleaning. Only use a clean dry microfiber cloth. Wet it a little if need be. Ordinary cotton cloth will eventually cause scratches owing to unseen debris it picked up. Seen many a pair of glasses made of glass scratched like this. Grit stinks into the microfiber material away from the surface being cleaned helping to protect it.

My 10+ lense protector is plastic. I live in the desert. I occasionally clean it but only with a microfiber cloth the same way I treat high dollar optics. No damage after a year and a half.
    Just use a good case with a raised cam guard.

shetty08

Jun 13, 2016
    That's not the lense. It's a factory protector.
    May have been marred during assembly.
    Don't sweat as it can be replaced if needed. A very slight may no effect the images at all but because the otherall area is so small it might. Protectors are a waste of money; it -is- the lense protector!
    Any added optic elements will degrade the image.

It's possible to polish out micro scratches with a clean, dry finger tip by rubbing back and forth on glass or antireflective coatings. Takes at least 30 minutes or more... if it really bugs you. Yes dry callus is abrasive and hard enough to polish glass.
    Likewise even the smallest amount of grit, sand etc rubbed against it by your finger can marred it.
    Don't use that opening in the case as a pickup point.

It can also be marred by improper cleaning. Only use a clean dry microfiber cloth. Wet it a little if need be. Ordinary cotton cloth will eventually cause scratches owing to unseen debris it picked up. Seen many a pair of glasses made of glass scratched like this. Grit stinks into the microfiber material away from the surface being cleaned helping to protect it.

My 10+ lense protector is plastic. I live in the desert. I occasionally clean it but only with a microfiber cloth the same way I treat high dollar optics. No damage after a year and a half.
    Just use a good case with a raised cam guard.

Hey thanks man for the reassuring reply!
    As I said in the post, Its barely been 2 weeks and I didn't even travelled much, put it in jeans with keys, coins etc. It was lying dormant with little use.

On close inspection in direct sunlight / outdoors. I saw lines which are underneath the lens glass and not on the surface.

I just don't want the image quality to suffer and plus the service center sucks (experience in dealing with S20+)

Not sure if they will acknowledge it or tag it as a user handling damage.

What are my options?

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    As I said in the post, Its barely been 2 weeks and I didn't even travelled much, put it in jeans with keys, coins etc. It was lying dormant with little use.

On close inspection in direct sunlight / outdoors. I saw lines which are underneath the lens glass and not on the surface.

I just don't want the image quality to suffer and plus the service center sucks (experience in dealing with S20+)

What are my options?

If it's on the internal side there's no way you did. Make sure you specify that if returning it.
    If it's on the inside without direct inspection it's hard to tell if it's on or into the glass.
    It may simple be a smear albeit a hard to remove smear.
    Either way shoddy assembly. Having put together thousands of display assemblies I was always careful that the internal surfaces were spotless.

babyboy3265

• Sep 20, 2012
    Jupiter
    They are selling camera protectors on aliexpress. However, they are not exactly sticking to the actual lens as they are slightly deeper. That basically would create s small gap between the camera lens and the protector. I would assume it MIGHT slightly degrade quality in some cases. Not sure but it may be worth trying out.

oraned

Apr 3, 2010
    Hello Everyone,

I solved all these problems I bought

Galaxy S21 Ultra Case with Camera Cover,S21 Ultra Slim​

shetty08

Jun 13, 2016
    If it's on the internal side there's no way you did. Make sure you specify that if returning it.
    If it's on the inside without direct inspection it's hard to tell if it's on or into the glass.
    It may simple be a smear albeit a hard to remove smear.
    Either way shoddy assembly. Having put together thousands of display assemblies I was always careful that the internal surfaces were spotless.

hey man,

this smear or minute lines on the inside or whatever is really bugging me!

My experience with samsung support (In my region and India) hasn't been good in the past. They all act as fools who recommend factory reset via their tool for every issue.

My question is will samsung own this or pass on the blame to me as improper handling or usage marks.
    I just don't want the already botched up image processing to suffer further.

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    hey man,

this smear or minute lines on the inside or whatever is really bugging me!

My experience with samsung support (In my region and India) hasn't been good in the past. They all act as fools who recommend factory reset via their tool for every issue.

My question is will samsung own this or pass on the blame to me as improper handling or usage marks.
    I just don't want the already botched up image processing to suffer further.
    Samsung phone support sucks, real bad.
    You can send it in as it's clearly their fault but that will take a lot of time.

Remove back cover and clean or replace if need be. Make sure you have the OEM adhesive strips needed to reassemble it. The replacement lense protector is held on by an adhesive strip*.
    It may be easier to get the whole OEM rear panel assembly.
    If you do it yourself use heat carefully/evenly and take as long as it takes to carefully pry it open without breaking it. A small amount of isopropyl alcohol can be injected to help break the adhesive seal.

*it maybe replaceable without taking off the rear cover but that maybe hard or impossible to do without marring the cover.

adamlee2012

Jun 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

What are my options?
    Keys/coins couldn't scratch the glass anyway. Physically impossible as the glass is harder.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Hello Everyone,

Really sorry to hear that. Just out of precaution, I have placed a whitestone dome glass protector on mine, just because I dont want to experience anything like that with a EUR1300 phone. Not that much expensive and you get two protectors in the box.
      im sorry, but you what?

you scratched glass with jeans?
      The lenses don't scratch easily, but depending on what you do during your day you might end up with stuff in your pockets that will do it. There are a lot of glass protectors for the cameras out there for the S21U, for example in the US you can get a 2-pack from Spigen for $12, and a bunch more that are even cheaper.

If you get one, get one of the blacked out ones, You will get artifacts in your photos from the flash/AF light as they get channeled across the glass of the protector if you don't; learned that one from using clear cases over the years. :)
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone