• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Accessories S21 Ultra Case Recommendations

Search This thread
DO they give any kind of protection except scratches? I doubt?
As far as I have seen, they help in two scenarios:

1. Without a case: Skins basically provide scratch protection to the back and side rails (if you have side skin applied too). In case of a bad drop (with a glass back phone) even if the glass shatters, the skin keeps it together underneath till you decide to get it fixed (or go on living with it).
Depending on how slippery your phone is, the texture of skin you use can significantly enhance the grippiness of the phone.
Also, the peace of mind you get when placing it on hard surfaces is priceless - without having to worry about scratching up the back or having to pull out a handkerchief to place the phone on.

2. With a case:
People who have used cases for long periods might've noticed that very often, sand and grit get trapped in between the phone and case, and over time, the constant rubbing back and forth leaves scratches and blemishes on the phone back and especially the soft Aluminium frame- noticed this on both my metal iPhone 6S and the glass backed OnePlus 6.
Slapping on a skin prevents this from happening too. Keeps the surface underneath pristine - just remove the skin and you're left with a blemish-free back.

So now I use a skin regardless of whether I use a case or not. Just drop the phone into a case when you are heading for activity, pull it out when you want to dump the bulk and go skinny. Been following this for the last 2 years and personally quite happy with the approach.

Of course, everyone has their own preferences, so YMMV. Just sharing my experience here.

Reactions: Juice3250

felloffthetruck

May 12, 2014
Pulled my Dbrand Swarm skin off of my camera hump today. Got sick of looking at it. 🤢

Back in the slippery Pathfinder. 😉

path01.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: enigmaamit

joloxx9joloxx9

Jul 6, 2011
My aliexpress carbon fibre case arrived today, definitely on par with Pitaka brand case, feels amazing in hand and protects the top and bottom portions too unlike Pitaka version. Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002052042317.html

GerwWcG.jpg

0IU72AK.jpg

f4UXesp.jpg
Looks sick!

I am waiting for my Latercase, should be woith me tomorrow.

I am still intrested about those from ali express, they cover top and bottom unlike latercase but have two questions:

Does it sit on the phone well? I know some of them are easy(too easy) to take off.

Is it really a carbon fibre or just hard plastic?

Last one, can you PM with the link you used to buy it? As if its ok I might buy one as well.

wakibaci

Sep 10, 2011
Leeds
It's carbon fibre not plastic.
The finish is good.
The case is tight all the way round,I have to use both hands to remove it but its not hard to remove.
Glad i got this instead of the Latercase or the Pitaka its half the price just had to wait 3 weeks lol.
PM sent.

joloxx9joloxx9

Jul 6, 2011
The finish is good.
The case is tight all the way round,I have to use both hands to remove it but its not hard to remove.
Glad i got this instead of the Latercase or the Pitaka its half the price just had to wait 3 weeks lol.
PM sent.
Thank you, are the corners on the front raised like in latercase or they flat like in pitaka case? If you have to use both hands that mean grip is solid and this is what I am looking at. I might try to order one of them soon and will do quick comparison with latercase.

Goku1992

Feb 29, 2016
Dortmund
The finish is good.
PM sent.
On the site it says plastic? :/

My aliexpress carbon fibre case arrived today, definitely on par with Pitaka brand case, feels amazing in hand and protects the top and bottom portions too unlike Pitaka version. Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002052042317.html

GerwWcG.jpg
That looks crispy! I'll definitely look into getting something like this. Could you please share the weight (of the case alone) if possible?

I bought the Spigen Thin fit case. It's pretty nice, but despite being one of the skinniest Spigen cases available for the S21U, it's still too bulky for my liking.

So I've defaulted back to using a skin. Removed the camo and trying out wood and leather combo. This particular texture is quite a lot grippier than the camo or the concrete skin material.

Attachments

• 20210609_184716.jpg
    20210609_184716.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 64
  • 20210609_184745.jpg
    20210609_184745.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 63
Reactions: maxq1

Juice3250

Aug 30, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
As far as I have seen, they help in two scenarios:

1. Without a case: Skins basically provide scratch protection to the back and side rails (if you have side skin applied too). In case of a bad drop (with a glass back phone) even if the glass shatters, the skin keeps it together underneath till you decide to get it fixed (or go on living with it).
Depending on how slippery your phone is, the texture of skin you use can significantly enhance the grippiness of the phone.
Also, the peace of mind you get when placing it on hard surfaces is priceless - without having to worry about scratching up the back or having to pull out a handkerchief to place the phone on.

2. With a case: People who have used cases for long periods might've noticed that very often, sand and grit get trapped in between the phone and case, and over time, the constant rubbing back and forth leaves scratches and blemishes on the phone back and especially the soft Aluminium frame- noticed this on both my metal iPhone 6S and the glass backed OnePlus 6.
Slapping on a skin prevents this from happening too. Keeps the surface underneath pristine - just remove the skin and you're left with a blemish-free back.

So now I use a skin regardless of whether I use a case or not. Just drop the phone into a case when you are heading for activity, pull it out when you want to dump the bulk and go skinny. Been following this for the last 2 years and personally quite happy with the approach.

Of course, everyone has their own preferences, so YMMV. Just sharing my experience here.
I just ordered a skin from slickwraps because they have a 60% off sale. I noticed small scratches and blemishes on the back of my S21 Ultra from sand or dirt getting trapped between. They aren't too noticeable but it bothers me. This is one negative to having an aluminum back. I had glass backed phones and never had any scratches. I often work in a dirty and dusty environment so the dirt or dust is unavoidable. I've also never used a screen protector.

I just ordered a skin from slickwraps because they have a 60% off sale. I noticed small scratches and blemishes on the back of my S21 Ultra from sand or dirt getting trapped between. They aren't too noticeable but it bothers me. This is one negative to having an aluminum back. I had glass backed phones and never had any scratches. I often work in a dirty and dusty environment so the dirt or dust is unavoidable. I've also never used a screen protector.
Can you post a pic of the scrates please? Are the scratches on the back of the phone or the back of the camera island?

I'm asking coz the back of the phone is Gorilla glass Victus and only the camera housing and frame is made of aluminium.

The aluminium is more prone to getting scratched, being softer than glass. But sand can effortlessly scratch glass in an instant too.

Regarding the "I don't use screen protector" philosophy, I was a strong believer of it until my last phone too.

I've used my iPhone 6S without a screen protector for 5 years - there are micro scratches on the screen and the oleophobic coating has worn out, but no major issues. Nothing compares to the feel of naked glass! So blostered by that "experience" I decided to go without a screen protector when i got my next phone, the OnePlus 6.

I'm attaching a photo of my OnePlus 6 screen. You can see two deep scratches on the screen. The two scratches on the screen are from just putting the phone in the pocket and pulling it out. My phone has never been dropped, kept face down or abused in any way.

The first time I noticed the scratch (the top one) was when I pulled it out of my pocket, on getting out of my car after reaching work. Put it in the pocket when leaving home in mint condition, before driving 45 mins to work - phone stayed in the trouser pocket the entire time. This was 6 months after i bought the phone. The second scratch inexplicably appeared about two months later, after i came back home from a morning walk.

The first scratches runs right in front of the selfie camera - and it has ruined that camera forever. Anything I shoot with it looks like a Michael Bay movie with lens flares galore! It's so deep that it refracts the light going into the lens underneath and leads to artefacts in every photo with a strong light source.

This happened to me 6 months after I bought the phone. I've lived with this for 3 years now and my heart still breaks every time I use the phone.

Funny thing is, there have been no major new scratches on the screen for the past two and a half years! So maybe it was just bad luck - I don't know. But the feeling of "what if?" will never go away. I still feel this wouldn't have happened if I simply had a screen protector on...

Humbled by this experience, I've decided to go with an SP on all my phones hereafter. I can't go throught the heart-break of something like this ever again. Especially because I cannot replace $1000+ devices on a whim every year or so. I keep my phones for 2-3 years and like them to be in pristine condition.

I can understand the allure of not using an SP. And it's absolutely fine what anyone chooses to do with their device. I've just been irrepairably damaged by my bad experience to ever try to live on that edge again :p

Attachments

• 20210409_190026.jpg
    20210409_190026.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 49

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
My aliexpress carbon fibre case arrived today, definitely on par with Pitaka brand case, feels amazing in hand and protects the top and bottom portions too unlike Pitaka version. Link:
Got another case in today, this has to be the best one for me. Slim enough, raised lips, decent protection, feels great in hand and the color looks amazing, soft touch but not a lint magnet. Highly recommended, Caseology Nano Pop.
got the same one and I like it too. Can't beat the price. Cheers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Out of all the Otterbox cases for the S21 Ultra the Prefix is my favorite.

It's just an overall fantastic case.

Here's a pic with the Caseology flat black camera protector installed.

pcam01.jpg
    pcam02.jpg
    Hey, I've tried some new skins from dBrand.
    I really love the black one.
    Really hate the green one, it is shiny and looks very cheap compared to their usual quality.
    See pics, and excuse the dust :)
    Otterbox Prefix in today for the S21 Ultra. This is a very nice slim case. This case is only sold on Amazon and not on the Otterbox site. This has been confirmed by Otterbox that this is a genuine case made by Otterbox. The case has square sides and gives the S21 Ultra an iPhone 12 Pro Max feel. The back is hard plastic like the Symmetry. The sides have good grip as they are rubber. Great screen protection as the edges are raised on all four sides of the screen. There is not much camera protection on the rear though. Lays super flat on the back. Buttons are fantastic. Overall my new favorite case for the S21 Ultra. Here are some pics:

pre01.jpg
    pre02.jpg
    pre03.jpg
    pre04.jpg
    pre05.jpg
    pre06.jpg
    pre07.jpg
    Otterbox Prefix in today for the S21 Ultra. This is a very nice slim case. This case is only sold on Amazon and not on the Otterbox site. This has been confirmed by Otterbox that this is a genuine case made by Otterbox. The case has square sides and gives the S21 Ultra an iPhone 12 Pro Max feel. The back is hard plastic like the Symmetry. The sides have good grip as they are rubber. Great screen protection as the edges are raised on all four sides of the screen. There is not much camera protection on the rear though. Lays super flat on the back. Buttons are fantastic. Overall my new favorite case for the S21 Ultra. Here are some pics:
    This one looks good, thanks for trying it.
    (and I'm glad to see there is someone else with little self control when it comes to buying cases for our phones :p)
    Otterbox Symmetry case in today. Very slim case that adds hardly any bulk to the phone. Pretty slippery, buttons are perfect and it feels good in the hand.
    I absolutely hate the giant pill shaped cutout on the top for the microphones, WTF were they thinking? The case also does not lay flat on it's back and rocks back and forth. Overall a decent case but I like the Defender Pro & Prefix better. Here are some pics:

sym01.jpg
    sym02.jpg
    sym03.jpg
    sym04.jpg
    sym05.jpg
    sym06.jpg
    I've got Samsung Leather Cover

Pros:
    - cool look
    - the phone is very firmly attached to it
    - does not enlarge the dimensions of the phone too much
    - protects the island with cameras well

Cons:
    - it doesn't stick out too much from the screen side, so it's a bit dangerous to put the screen down
    - skin prone to scratching (damage)
    - the phone sways a little when you put its back down
    - it's hard to take it off the phone, I'm afraid that I will damage it when I will try to remove the phone from it
    - it holds in the hand on average, but still a bit better than a bare phone

Tomorrow will try Ringke Onyx.
    Hello all,
    as promised, here are my thoughts on the cases I got and that I have not seen talked about here yet.
    So today I received the "Rhinoshield Solid Suit".
    Looks - I like it. It's quite simple and elegant. I chose the carbon style. To me, it is what I look for in cases.
    Fit - Really good, the case is really snug on there and will not move. You have to really want the phone out.
    The ports work well with all the cables I could try.
    Protection - I feel confident that it offers a good protection. It's very thick (a bit much maybe, makes a huge phone really huge :D). There are raised lips on top and bottom, but they are on even level to the center of the screen on the sides. The camera array is well protected, and now the phone won't wobble so much when put on its back. A good plus in my book.
    Feel - This is where I would say this is a good case, but not great. The plastic on the sides is actually quite hard and does not offer the good grip of more soft plastics. The buttons are very tactile, but don't click too loudly, so a good plus there. Also, the carbon part is quite soft, it has a good texture, that does not catch fingerprints, but I'm unsure if it's a sticker?

Overall - Good case, good protection and feel. But it's not so grippy, so minus points here. Probably a bit expensive and middle of the road in my opinion!

See pictures attached.
    Just got my Pitaka Air with the 6ooD carbon fiber:) Love their cases!
    Uploaded some youtube case reviews I was sent
    UAG
    Ringke
    Armadillotek
    Spigen Liquid Crystal on S21 Ultra Phantom Silver:

20210210_113134.jpg 20210210_113147.jpg 20210210_113202.jpg 20210210_113213.jpg
    20210210_113236.jpg 20210210_113248.jpg 20210210_113324.jpg