Question S21 Ultra Exynos Heating Problem

Search This thread

varcor

Jul 15, 2017
San Diego
Samsung Galaxy S10+
I have no heating issues with my Exynos. Sd 888 has very bad heating issues in all the phones that use it. Stop with the "inferior Exynos" bs already.
Nothing in my post refered to Exynos Chipsets overheating, I referenced what makes devices overheat, any device. If you're not experiencing overheating that's great and no doubt many users feel the same. That doesn't preclude the fact there's a significant movement underway on a number of levels to get Samsung's attention to fix problems associated with the Exynos SoC.

ione2380

Oct 13, 2009
Brasov
Nothing in my post refered to Exynos Chipsets overheating, I referenced what makes devices overheat, any device. If you're not experiencing overheating that's great and no doubt many users feel the same. That doesn't preclude the fact there's a significant movement underway on a number of levels to get Samsung's attention to fix problems associated with the Exynos SoC.
That useless petition you were referring to, it's from the exynos 990 days. Exynos problems are history starting with 2100.

Reactions: lywyn

varcor

Jul 15, 2017
San Diego
Samsung Galaxy S10+
This thread includes user's who are complaining about the Exynos 9100. No doubt it has improved compared to the 990. But user's of the 990's days aren't over, they're still dealing with an inferior chipset. Further I haven't read of one Snapdragon user or potential buyer who wants to replace or consider the purchase a Exynos variant. But there are lots of users in the Exynos Global footprint going out of their way to aquire the Snapdragon variant. It's an inferior chip by any measure and Samsung at the very least should rebrand their chipsets. They used to be the desired SoC up until three years back, now this is no longer the case, they've damaged Samsung's reputation.

ione2380

Oct 13, 2009
Brasov
This thread includes user's who are complaining about the Exynos 9100. No doubt it has improved compared to the 990. But user's of the 990's days aren't over, they're still dealing with an inferior chipset. Further I haven't read of one Snapdragon user or potential buyer who wants to replace or consider the purchase a Exynos variant. But there are lots of users in the Exynos Global footprint going out of their way to aquire the Snapdragon variant. It's an inferior chip by any measure and Samsung at the very least should rebrand their chipsets. They used to be the desired SoC up until three years back, now this is no longer the case, they've damaged Samsung's reputation.
You are from US, so clearly you have the Snapdragon version, yet you rant about something you don't have and you never used. 🙂

It's not inferior, in fact, it has the same cores as sd888, which is made by Samsung using the same manufacturing process. Sd888 has bad heating issues. See oneplus 9 Pro or Xiaomi mi11.

You know nobody that wants to buy an Exynos? How is that relevant? How many people do you know around the world?🙂 I know plenty in my country who bought the Exynos and are happy with it. Very good reviews in local online stores are proof of that. In fact, the vast majority who buy an 21, is buying the Exynos, because that's the global version. How many do you see complaining? Some guys on xda? Those who have problems with something, are always the loudest.

I also know plenty of guys (from a local forum in my country) who imported the sd888 version and now they regret it, because they have no warranty on it and compared the two versions and found no differences in performance.

Last edited:

Klaudas

May 23, 2013
Vilnius
You are from US, so clearly you have the Snapdragon version, yet you rant about something you don't have and you never used. 🙂

It's not inferior, in fact, it has the same cores as sd888 witch is made by Samsung using the same manufacturing process. Sd888 has bad heating issues. See oneplus 9 Pro or Xiaomi mi11.

You know nobody that wants to buy an Exynos? How is that relevant? How many people do you know around the world?🙂 I know plenty in my country who bought the Exynos and are happy with it. Very good reviews in local online stores are proof of that. In fact, the vast majority who buy an 21, is buying the Exynos, because that's the global version. How many do you see complaining? Some guys on xda? Those who have problems with something, are always the loudest.

I also know plenty of guys (from a local forum in my country) who imported the sd888 version and now they regret it, because they have no warranty on it and compared the two versions and found no differences in performance.
++. That's 100% true. I have exynos version and I love it. My mom and friends uses s21 devices with exynos and they have no complains.

Reactions: ione2380

lywyn

Jul 19, 2010
Samsung manufacturer the SD888 as well as the Exynos, the SD88 has a higher clock speed so if the Exynos overheats the SD88 will as well. My S21 Ultra Exynos does not overheat, never had that issue. So if the CPU is the reason why is mine not overheating? Please explain.

"Further I haven't read of one Snapdragon user or potential buyer who wants to replace or consider the purchase a Exynos variant". I'm impressed you can read, you do not show that by the bull**** you post.

jericho246

Dec 19, 2015
Bruh. I returned my Mi 11 Ultra (Snapdragon 888) precisely because of the heating issue. Now I have a S21 Ultra (Exynos) and it also gets rather warm... When doing light tasks such as internet browsing. Which is something I don't get. WTF is up with phones released this year? Most seem to have heating problems.
My Mate 20 Pro which I had a couple years ago never seemed to get as warm as the damn Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra or S21 Ultra.

Looks like I won't be keeping the S21 Ultra for long. Don't get me wrong, I really like this phone, but I'm extremely annoyed when it burns my hand while doing extremely basic tasks. Smh

Reactions: enigmaamit

ione2380

Oct 13, 2009
Brasov
Bruh. I returned my Mi 11 Ultra (Snapdragon 888) precisely because of the heating issue. Now I have a S21 Ultra (Exynos) and it also gets rather warm... When doing light tasks such as internet browsing. Which is something I don't get. WTF is up with phones released this year? Most seem to have heating problems.
My Mate 20 Pro which I had a couple years ago never seemed to get as warm as the damn Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra or S21 Ultra.

Looks like I won't be keeping the S21 Ultra for long. Don't get me wrong, I really like this phone, but I'm extremely annoyed when it burns my hand while doing extremely basic tasks. Smh
That is normal only if you are using your phone with data on, outside in the sun with full brightness. Otherwise you have a problem. My phone is cool all the time, unless I use it outside when it's sunny, or using video camera for more than 10 minutes. Still, it doesn't go past 45°C.

I had heating troubles when I bought the phone at launch. It was noticeable and quite bothersome

But I haven't seen any heating issues in the last few months, since the May firmware update if I remember correctly. Currently, the phone only occasionally gets warm to the touch, and it's usually after using a camera related application, or large amounts of data transfer on LTE.

The only time it heats up appreciably is while on a Zoom/Google Meet/ Teams video conferencing while on LTE. But that used to happen on my OnePlus 6 as well.

So if your phone is burning your hand even while doing basic tasks, there must be something wrong with your device or software setup... becasue that sounds like a very different device than what I'm using.

But I have to agree with your statement that this hasn't been a good year as far as thermal profiles are concerned, be it SD888 or Exynos2100. Both run hotter than they should, especially with a smaller transistor footprint, but I guess the architecture isn't fully optimised yet. Although surprisingly, this year the Exynos has a lead over the SD as far as thermal temperament and standby drain is concerned (benchmark performance may be the opposite tho)

Again, this is just my experience, YMMV.

Reactions: jericho246

jericho246

Dec 19, 2015
That is normal only if you are using your phone with data on, outside in the sun with full brightness. Otherwise you have a problem. My phone is cool all the time, unless I use it outside when it's sunny, or using video camera for more than 10 minutes. Still, it doesn't go past 45°C.

I understand that. I would be completely fine with it if it was overheating outside with full brightness on but... it reaches around 40-41°C very easily when in use at home, with the brightness level being quite low. :(
I'm using Microsoft Edge browser, stable version. Maybe that is the issue? Just did a quick google search and some people experience heating problems with that particular browser. Others do not.. I'll try switching to another browser and see if that solves it.

I had heating troubles when I bought the phone at launch. It was noticeable and quite bothersome

But I haven't seen any heating issues in the last few months, since the May firmware update if I remember correctly. Currently, the phone only occasionally gets warm to the touch, and it's usually after using a camera related application, or large amounts of data transfer on LTE.

The only time it heats up appreciably is while on a Zoom/Google Meet/ Teams video conferencing while on LTE. But that used to happen on my OnePlus 6 as well.

So if your phone is burning your hand even while doing basic tasks, there must be something wrong with your device or software setup... becasue that sounds like a very different device than what I'm using.

But I have to agree with your statement that this hasn't been a good year as far as thermal profiles are concerned, be it SD888 or Exynos2100. Both run hotter than they should, especially with a smaller transistor footprint, but I guess the architecture isn't fully optimised yet. Although surprisingly, this year the Exynos has a lead over the SD as far as thermal temperament and standby drain is concerned (benchmark performance may be the opposite tho)

Again, this is just my experience, YMMV.

Thanks for the reply and your insight. Yes, my device gets uncomfortable to hold in my hand more often than not (when used naked, without a case).
Like I said above, I looked at some stats in battery tracker and thermal guardian, and the main culprit of high CPU usage and battery drain is always Microsoft Edge. Constantly over 20% of CPU usage.

After doing further research it appears that Edge beta is much less of a battery sucker than the stable version. Fingers crossed I guess.

ione2380

Oct 13, 2009
Brasov
I understand that. I would be completely fine with it if it was overheating outside with full brightness on but... it reaches around 40-41°C very easily when in use at home, with the brightness level being quite low. :(
I'm using Microsoft Edge browser, stable version. Maybe that is the issue? Just did a quick google search and some people experience heating problems with that particular browser. Others do not.. I'll try switching to another browser and see if that solves it.

Thanks for the reply and your insight. Yes, my device gets uncomfortable to hold in my hand more often than not (when used naked, without a case).
Like I said above, I looked at some stats in battery tracker and thermal guardian, and the main culprit of high CPU usage and battery drain is always Microsoft Edge. Constantly over 20% of CPU usage.

After doing further research it appears that Edge beta is much less of a battery sucker than the stable version. Fingers crossed I guess.
I use Samsung browser and have no heating issues with it + I think it's the best android browser. I use it on all my phones.

Same experience as @ione2380 above. On both my S21U and Tab S7, I've found Samsung browser to be the best Android browser so far. I've tried to go back to chrome and brave, but keep coming back to the Samsung browser. None of the browsers currently do night mode as well as Samsung does.

varcor

Jul 15, 2017
San Diego
Samsung Galaxy S10+

It's not inferior, in fact, it has the same cores as sd888, which is made by Samsung using the same manufacturing process. Sd888 has bad heating issues. See oneplus 9 Pro or Xiaomi mi11.

I've had both Exynos and Snapdragon variants. As I stated the 9100 is a big improvement however Samsung continues to increase clock speeds on the Exynos Chipsets which is one of the reasons it continues to have heat disapation issues plus it throttles much faster than the SD888. Per Android Autrority. "With Samsung licensing AMD’s Radeon technology to improve its GPU game, the next generation of Exynos chipsets should have what it takes to match or even exceed Qualcomm’s offering. However, as it stands, if peak performance is what you want, you’ll want to consider the Snapdragon 888-packing Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra" Seriously doubt if Samsung offered Snapdragon variants in it's global market Exynos would remain the dominant SoC. This is an issue Samsung created so they could still access the US Carriers, two different chipsets in the same device, meh!

ione2380

Oct 13, 2009
Brasov
I've had both Exynos and Snapdragon variants. As I stated the 9100 is a big improvement however Samsung continues to increase clock speeds on the Exynos Chipsets which is one of the reasons it continues to have heat disapation issues plus it throttles much faster than the SD888. Per Android Autrority. "With Samsung licensing AMD’s Radeon technology to improve its GPU game, the next generation of Exynos chipsets should have what it takes to match or even exceed Qualcomm’s offering. However, as it stands, if peak performance is what you want, you’ll want to consider the Snapdragon 888-packing Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra" Seriously doubt if Samsung offered Snapdragon variants in it's global market Exynos would remain the dominant SoC. This is an issue Samsung created so they could still access the US Carriers, two different chipsets in the same device, meh!
But sd888 has bigger heating issues, exactly because it's not throttling. Exynos2100 is throttling, hence less heat. So depends what you want. I personally prefer a phone with a little less gaming performance, but cooler, as I'm not gaming on my phone. Just for fun, I tried Genshin Impact, as I heard that all phones are heating up with that game, even iphone 12 pro max. I played for an hour with all grafic settings at max and it reached 41°C without any visible slowdown or throttling. I've seen sd888 phones that went up to 65°C on this game.

So overall I'm very happy with Exynos this year. The phone feels very fast and smooth with great battery life, so that's all I care about.

Reactions: enigmaamit
But sd888 has bigger heating issues, exactly because it's not throttling. Exynos2100 is throttling, hence less heat. So depends what you want. I personally prefer a phone with a little less gaming performance, but cooler, as I'm not gaming on my phone. Just for fun, I tried Genshin Impact, as I heard that all phones are heating up with that game, even iphone 12 pro max. I played for an hour with all grafic settings at max and it reached 41°C without any visible slowdown or throttling. I've seen sd888 phones that went up to 65°C on this game.

So overall I'm very happy with Exynos this year. The phone feels very fast and smooth with great battery life, so that's all I care about.
Totally agree with your conclusion about the thermal management on the SD888 vs Exynos2100. I never thought the day would come when I was actually happy to have an Exynos chipset in my phone rather than a Snapdragon. Surprise Surprise!!

Played around with my colleage's OP9 Pro last month - and his biggest complaint is the heating, closely follwed by poor battery life and overall lagginess (apparently some recent update has started throttling commonly used apps to try to rein in the heating, albeit without much success).

As things stand now, I wouldn't trade my Exynos S21U for and SD model even if someone offered a trade.

Reactions: ione2380

ione2380

Oct 13, 2009
Brasov
Exactly. Oneplus is cutting apps access to the big core X1, just because of heat. Xiaomi mi11 is heating up like crazy. The only phones that don't have heating problems with sd888, are gaming phones with an active cooling fan.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I use Samsung browser and have no heating issues with it + I think it's the best android browser. I use it on all my phones.

Same experience as @ione2380 above. On both my S21U and Tab S7, I've found Samsung browser to be the best Android browser so far. I've tried to go back to chrome and brave, but keep coming back to the Samsung browser. None of the browsers currently do night mode as well as Samsung does.

unfortunately thats just the way it is :(
    am having the EXACT same issues and i had the phone since Feb so - not something that will go away unless Samsung fixes it