Question S21 Ultra tempered glass screen protector

anish88

Mar 2, 2008
Tried to search for a thread talking about tempered glass screen protectors for S21 ultra and had no luck. Anybody have good recommendations for a decent one that's priced well?

anish88

Mar 2, 2008
I know it's definitely worth it for the phone but anything a little cheaper. $40 is completely reasonable for two especially because it's a $1200 phone

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Get a good case with raised guards around the screen and good corner protection.
That should be your primary screen protection.
That plus a wet apply urethane screen protector works fine.
Glass does not compress and is subject to the laws of hydraulics. It can behave in strange and seemingly unpredictable ways to stress.

anish88

Mar 2, 2008
Get a good case with raised guards around the screen and good corner protection.
That should be your primary screen protection.
That plus a wet apply urethane screen protector works fine.
Glass does not compress and is subject to the laws of hydraulics. It can behave in strange and seemingly unpredictable ways to stress.
Definitely agree with that! Does the camera need protection as well?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Definitely agree with that! Does the camera need protection as well?
A raised case guard around the module and just keep your fingers off it.
The outside glass is the factory lense guard; it's replaceable. I operated my 10+ like this for almost a year and a half. I clean it with a dry microfiber cloth as needed. It's made of plastic. No scratches on it whatsoever... and I like in a dusty desert town.

anish88

Mar 2, 2008
A raised case guard around the module and just keep your fingers off it.
The outside glass is the factory lense guard; it's replaceable. I operated my 10+ like this for almost a year and a half. I clean it with a dry microfiber cloth as needed. It's made of plastic. No scratches on it whatsoever... and I like in a dusty desert town.
It's replaceable? Is that easy? I have a raised case but im coming from an s9+ and didn't protect that which was fine. I just want to protect it as well as I can.

anish88

Mar 2, 2008
Also I found a deal for the amfilm protector if you guys want.

Galaxy S21 Ultra
(2 Pack) amFilm Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Galaxy S21 Ultra [amazon.com] 5G 6.8 Inch, Fully Compatible with UltraSonic Fingerprint Scanner, UV Gel Application
20% off Coupon Code to make final price $19.99 use code: Q3HIKIHR

Plus this 30% OFF Universal Claim code (For Galaxy S21 products): MLIX9RW8

Brought it to 19.99

Reactions: Arsenic1234

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
It's replaceable? Is that easy? I have a raised case but im coming from an s9+ and didn't protect that which was fine. I just want to protect it as well as I can.
Not sure how it's mounted on that phone. The 10+'s looks like it uses a adhesive strip and pops out. Might need to replace the back panel though.
You'll probably need to replace the battery long before the lense guard.
Not sure why people focus on this as with a good case it's well protected and relatively easy to replace. The display and frame are not...

Reactions: Nmc_alves®

Chavist1

Feb 11, 2021
Phone fell out of my pants pocket in the car. Hit the seat and the metal guard underneath the seat. Glass scratched on screen already....needless to say that just about anything will scratch the glass that is metal

KingFatty

Feb 4, 2009
Glass scratched on screen already....needless to say that just about anything will scratch the glass that is metal
Can you elaborate - what was the situation with your screen?

1) did you scratch the pre-installed protector the phone shipped with, and the glass screen underneath is still fine?

2) did you scratch the naked gorilla glass screen because you had peeled off the pre-installed protector?

3) did you install your own glass protector, and that's what scratched here?

4) other situation?

Reactions: braindamage90

San Diego

Jun 25, 2016
WHITESTONE DOME , always Whitestone Dome. I spend >1300 on a phone, you're G**damn right I'm gonna drop 75-90 on my glass cover.

The new one is almost totally automated. These guys are incredible. When I've dropped my phones in the past, the WSDome cracks, but never my phone screen. Just sayin.

Reactions: felloffthetruck

johnp357

Jan 14, 2012
white stone is now 45.99 on amazon along with a camera cover package... for those curious enough to try... like me... I feel like it works for 50% of the people and the rest of us will be sad after we put it on... I hope you 50% are not lying.. special place in hell for you if you are.... I've been using a tpu type film.. although its ok for finger prints.. it feels different than glass and smudges are harder to clean. and every time it there's an angle you see all kinds of marks on it... so annoying... I guess I can't handle it any longer and am willing to bite the bullet.... wish me luck....

tripjnj

Mar 5, 2010
NJ shore
white stone is now 45.99 on amazon along with a camera cover package... for those curious enough to try... like me... I feel like it works for 50% of the people and the rest of us will be sad after we put it on... I hope you 50% are not lying.. special place in hell for you if you are.... I've been using a tpu type film.. although its ok for finger prints.. it feels different than glass and smudges are harder to clean. and every time it there's an angle you see all kinds of marks on it... so annoying... I guess I can't handle it any longer and am willing to bite the bullet.... wish me luck....
I have the amFilm version of this and it's definitely the way to go.
That's a decent deal and I suggest to buy it and try it. Hold onto the installation kit and light that comes with it. After you go through the 2 included glass screens, you can buy new LOCA glue screens on ebay for cheap and use the installation kit and light from the Whitestone.

HLyons

Oct 4, 2014
How's the fingerprint detection? Even the expensive Whitestone has people complaining about fingerprint detection...and for the money that's crazy. It should work 90% of the time for the money they want. I may try the amfilm

tripjnj

Mar 5, 2010
NJ shore
How's the fingerprint detection? Even the expensive Whitestone has people complaining about fingerprint detection...and for the money that's crazy. It should work 90% of the time for the money they want. I may try the amfilm
I'm happy with fingerprint detection for the most part. It's a tough time of year weather-wise. When hands are dry, its harder to read, and thats true for any fingerprint scanner. Instead of registering 4 different fingers, I register each thumb in 2 spots which increases my detection rate. When fingers are not as dry, detection is extremely quick, like having no screen protector. I imagine the amFilm and Whitestone are pretty identical as far as the glass and LOCA glue. The installation kits look a little bit different. Whitestone dome has been around for a while and i think this type of protector is newer for amFilm. I've been using the regular amFilm tempered glass on many other phones and have been happy with them. And their customer service is top notch.

lywyn

Jul 19, 2010
I was not going to bother with a glass protector due to the warnings about the fingerprint scanner but someone sent me a link to an install video that mentions the FP scanner. They recommend hard pressing the area for 15-30 seconds before curing with UV light. Afterwards, he demonstrates FP scanner working really well. I've ordered the screen protector after watching that.

Link to the part of video when he tests it.