Question S21 Ultra tempered glass screen protector

Batfink33

Apr 8, 2013
The fingerprint scanner is pretty poor with the Whitestone Dome Glass on the s21u with me. It hardly ever recognises a print. I didn't press down on it during installation though.Ive turned on face scan and pattern unlock and use them most of the time.

KingFatty

Feb 4, 2009
They recommend hard pressing the area for 15-30 seconds before curing with UV light.
Just to clarify, you apply the pressure *AFTER* the initial UV light session, but *BEFORE* the final UV light session.

Full installation involves two applications of UV light, for different times.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
They recommend hard pressing the area for 15-30 seconds before curing with UV light. Afterwards, he demonstrates FP scanner working really well. I've ordered the screen protector after watching that.

Link to the part of video when he tests it.
Pressing done like that before cure can cause adhesion issues. It's already a tedious pain in assets chore as is.

It may make the whole bonding process work better. If so why is only one person recommending it, why not the manufacturer?
It may make more of a mess or cause a bonding failure. Impossible to predict the outcome.
Even pressure across the whole area makes more sense but probably isn't practical.

If you want to play test engineer... be ready for some broken eggs.

johnp357

Jan 14, 2012
Pressing done like that before cure can cause adhesion issues. It's already a tedious pain in assets chore as is.

It may make the whole bonding process work better. If so why is only one person recommending it, why not the manufacturer?
It may make more of a mess or cause a bonding failure. Impossible to predict the outcome.
Even pressure across the whole area makes more sense but probably isn't practical.

Well I think this is a bit of a stretch. Others have done it. similar glass system devices do have weighted devices to put over the finger print area. In reality it probably will not do anything pressing on it after the first cure process. so you're probably right about effectiveness.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Well I think this is a bit of a stretch. Others have done it. similar glass system devices do have weighted devices to put over the finger print area. In reality it probably will not do anything pressing on it after the first cure process. so you're probably right about effectiveness.
The screen should be near perfectly flat. Putting pressure on one spot can cause it to flex. You may end up with unintended consequences even stress points. Glass is a very strange substance.

Personally I never used the fingerprint sensor on my 10+. I rejected the tempered glass protectors as just too much trouble and not enough bang for the buck.

sesnut

Jun 11, 2012
amfilm has a weight just for the finger sensor and you do cure it for 15 seconds with the weight on, but they also have tiny nibs spaced around the glass to help the glue flow so it was never flat against the screen to begin with

sesnut

Jun 11, 2012

bonding failure?
The uv light turns the glue from liquid to gummy. It doesnt turn into a glue that has to adhere to anything. Its still gonna be sticky

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
bonding failure?
The uv light turns the glue from liquid to gummy. It doesnt turn into a glue that has to adhere to anything. Its still gonna be sticky
Changing the thickness of the adhesive layer will alter it's properties.
May create a better bond or... may reduce its impact rresistance and/or cause a bond failure there or on other parts of the protector immediately or over time.
Changing the loading on the glass can yield unpredictable results.
So it's an experiment...

Wet apply urethane protectors are so much easier to mount and can last over 6 months*. $5 a pop. Easy to remove as well.

*have about 9 months on my first and current Gorilla IQ Sheild protector even though I bought 3 more at that time. Placement was perfect with no micro bubbles visible after a few days.

johnp357

Jan 14, 2012
So I got the whitestone dome. installed it. no issues. put a little more pressure on the finger print area (but I don't think it really matters)... but I will be happy to report that it works. at least as well at least as well as the soft film. like others have mentioned, seems to me that the ultrasonic waves works better when your fingers are NOT dry. over all it seems to work as expected. so count me in as one of the satisfied customers.

sesnut

Jun 11, 2012
Changing the thickness of the adhesive layer will alter it's properties.
May create a better bond or... may reduce its impact rresistance and/or cause a bond failure there or on other parts of the protector immediately or over time.
Changing the loading on the glass can yield unpredictable results.
So it's an experiment...

Wet apply urethane protectors are so much easier to mount and can last over 6 months*. $5 a pop. Easy to remove as well.

*have about 9 months on my first and current Gorilla IQ Sheild protector even though I bought 3 more at that time. Placement was perfect with no micro bubbles visible after a few days.
youre just saying a bunch of nonsense right now that has nothing to do with the actual screen protector which I can tell youve never had or used

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
youre just saying a bunch of nonsense right now that has nothing to do with the actual screen protector which I can tell youve never had or used
Look who's assuming their mass off... seeing I've done decades of assembly including prototypes I most likely know more about material properties and bonding systems than do you.

As for this specific protector...
Whitestone shipped the wrong screen and even the wrong tray for that screen. The UV light had an intermittent switch and It was a return they had sent out as new without inspecting properly.
They're only reachable by email, the return/refund process was slow and a pain. Not even a "sorry for your inconvenience" from these overseas piece of $hits. Turns out I know much more than I would care to about Whitestone TGSPs.

By all means buy their junk and pretend you know what you're doing... knock yourself out.
It's a lick on you.

sesnut

Jun 11, 2012
Look who's assuming their mass off... seeing I've done decades of assembly including prototypes I most likely know more about material properties and bonding systems than do you.

As for this specific protector...
Whitestone shipped the wrong screen and even the wrong tray for that screen. The UV light had an intermittent switch and It was a return they had sent out as new without inspecting properly.
They're only reachable by email, the return/refund process was slow and a pain. Not even a "sorry for your inconvenience" from these overseas piece of $hits. Turns out I know much more than I would care to about Whitestone TGSPs.

By all means buy their junk and pretend you know what you're doing... knock yourself out.
It's a lick on you.
I dont need to pretend; it works for plenty of people. But go on with your materials and bonding "science" and decades of experience that has nothing to do with uv glass screen protectors

kipue

Sep 3, 2009
Hong Kong
Yesterday, I went to the local geek store near me in HK.
Went to ask randomly what kind of screen protectors they had, and the guy told me yeah, he has a good one made of glass. I go, yeah OK let's try.
Turns out it's like whitestone, same end product, but there is no fancy mechanized frame and such. The man just poured a vial of glue by hand, dropped the glass protector, used some kind of hand held UV thingy for a little while and there you go.
End price: 25 USD. It really is perfect and the fingerprint reader works the same (looking at an angle, we can see the glass is slightly less thick where the reader is)
I did not pay attention to the name of the product, I'll go back and have a check for you guys in case it can be found online. It looked very generic so I think that maybe it could be OEM for other brands sold directly like this.

sesnut

Jun 11, 2012
Went to ask randomly what kind of screen protectors they had, and the guy told me yeah, he has a good one made of glass. I go, yeah OK let's try.
Turns out it's like whitestone, same end product, but there is no fancy mechanized frame and such. The man just poured a vial of glue by hand, dropped the glass protector, used some kind of hand held UV thingy for a little while and there you go.
End price: 25 USD. It really is perfect and the fingerprint reader works the same (looking at an angle, we can see the glass is slightly less thick where the reader is)
I did not pay attention to the name of the product, I'll go back and have a check for you guys in case it can be found online. It looked very generic so I think that maybe it could be OEM for other brands sold directly like this.
you can buy just the screen, glue and uv light for 10 bucks or so, but you paid 25 for him to do it for you so

Kawaisa

Oct 31, 2011

They're all just generics. It's not like Whitestone invented this sort of thing. I had some installed years ago in mainland China. Although a bit high, $25 seems more fair since it includes installation, much more reasonable than what Whitestone charges for their plastic jig application.

kipue

Sep 3, 2009
Hong Kong
you can buy just the screen, glue and uv light for 10 bucks or so, but you paid 25 for him to do it for you so
Yes, the convenience I suppose is worth the extra.
That guy paid 10 USD and very probably less, I'm not blind to that.
What I meant is that what we see on Youtube and such are products costing 60-70 USD, which is much too much.

eyeatoma

Jun 18, 2011
Just allowed Whitestone dome today. Very easy installation. Finger prints work very well. Need to put maybe 5-10% more pressure on the scanner, but that is honestly negligible. I've used it on my s20 ultra, and it's working fine on the s21 ultra as well. Their installation process is very slick.