Question S21 ultra tmobile locked help

Dai_321

Jan 16, 2021
Hi Everyone,

So i just bought the s21 ultra t-mobile from samsung.com. As i understand it, the device is locked to tmobile simcard. I have an att sim card and would like to understand my options if i want to continue to use att sim card.

Since i will have device paid in full,

1. Can tmobile unlock the device for me even though i have no account with them?
2. If they will not unlock it, is my option to then get a prepaid card top it with 100 dollars work with phone for couple months then switch back to att after they unlock?
3. Is there a shorter way, like when i receive device can i just flash unlocked firmware and that would make me able to use any sim?

I am just looking for the following

1. Unlocking device
2. Having wifi call as with this weird att\tmobile combo as i understand it i will not have wifi calling? so flashing unlocked\att should help? but given tmobile unlocks my phone

Thanks alot for your help

rmrl2008

Jun 17, 2015
Message @Tmobilehelp on Twitter. They'll unlock for you. I did this recently for a couple of A71. I also confirmed with them before ordering the S21 Ultra.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out, My name is Marva and I will be working with you moving forward! I hope that overall your day is going well so far! We always want to be respectful of your time and appreciate you hanging in there with us to make sure that you're all set. I know it's important to get that device unlocked for use on other networks. Traveling is so much easier and versatility of an unlocked phone is awesome. We do have a process for devices purchased directly through the manufacturer. So yes, you are definitely able to purchase from Samsung, then you'll just need to share your device imei with us here and we can submit the request. It does take about 72 hours to complete and then you'll use the preinstalled unlock app once your request has been processed. Let me know what other questions you have abut this.

That's correct, this process is specifically for non T-Mobile customers that purchase their devices through Samsung so you'll be all set!

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012
Message @Tmobilehelp on Twitter. They'll unlock for you. I did this recently for a couple of A71. I also confirmed with them before ordering the S21 Ultra.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out, My name is Marva and I will be working with you moving forward! I hope that overall your day is going well so far! We always want to be respectful of your time and appreciate you hanging in there with us to make sure that you're all set. I know it's important to get that device unlocked for use on other networks. Traveling is so much easier and versatility of an unlocked phone is awesome. We do have a process for devices purchased directly through the manufacturer. So yes, you are definitely able to purchase from Samsung, then you'll just need to share your device imei with us here and we can submit the request. It does take about 72 hours to complete and then you'll use the preinstalled unlock app once your request has been processed. Let me know what other questions you have abut this.

That's correct, this process is specifically for non T-Mobile customers that purchase their devices through Samsung so you'll be all set!
They are not as accomodating with current Tmo customers.

Shuthefrontdoor

May 15, 2012
Hi Everyone,

So i just bought the s21 ultra t-mobile from samsung.com. As i understand it, the device is locked to tmobile simcard. I have an att sim card and would like to understand my options if i want to continue to use att sim card.

Since i will have device paid in full,

1. Can tmobile unlock the device for me even though i have no account with them?
2. If they will not unlock it, is my option to then get a prepaid card top it with 100 dollars work with phone for couple months then switch back to att after they unlock?
3. Is there a shorter way, like when i receive device can i just flash unlocked firmware and that would make me able to use any sim?

I am just looking for the following

1. Unlocking device
2. Having wifi call as with this weird att\tmobile combo as i understand it i will not have wifi calling? so flashing unlocked\att should help? but given tmobile unlocks my phone

Thanks alot for your help
How much did you pay? I cancelled my preorder yesterday and today I tried to reorder but now the tmo version is $100 more than yesterday

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012
I believe they will unlock if the phone is fully paid off. They will also do temporary unlocks for travel.
Needs to be active on a line for 40 days. They USED to be much more flexible about that but the last couple of times I've tried they've stuck firm on that.

motoridersd

Jul 21, 2008
San Diego
I've had T-Mobile unlock phones for me in the past, even when the phone hasn't been active on my account for 40 days, but I have had my Tmo account for a long time with several lines and financed devices. I don't ask for unlocks often, I've maybe done 3 or 4 over the years. Last one was a Pixel 4 XL and before that it was an iPhone XS.

Yeah, it looked the $100 off the TMO version was only for a day or so.
I noticed this too, and now the Sprint version is $100 off. I would think that getting the Sprint version would work just fine on Tmo these days (especially since all US branded devices are the same hardware model), but then, would that phone be locked to Spring SIM Cards only and using my Tmo SIM would be a problem?