• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question S21 Ultra top screen delamination?

Search This thread

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Google Pixel 6
Woah, ROFL. Heads exploding
Exploding head syndrome.png
and Hitchcock sream image
hitchcock scream.jpg
. New email from Samsung just now.
Please be advised that your Samsung SM-G998UZKAXAA was not repaired. The unrepaired unit will be returned to you and the expected ship date is 07/31/2021.​
heading to the CC account now to file...

Last edited:
Woah, ROFL. Heads exploding and Hitchcock sream image. New email from Samsung just now.

heading to the CC account now to file...
What the hell! This is absolute nonsense on Samsung's part... Lousy bastards. Go ninja on their ass. If I was in your position, my next stop would be the Consumer Court. Have to go legal on these sleazeballs now!

Reactions: derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Google Pixel 6
Yes, well... now do you see?
my friend. I've been able to SEE all along. These things take time. A text message or call to the CC will not solve the problem. It starts a long process. The CC is a BB credit card and checked with them this evening. They are sending me back to Samsung. There will be a lot more phone calls.

Maybe it's easy in your country or on your planet....
Thank you for reading and keeping me on my toes to get this resolved!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4nik8te

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
my friend. I've been able to SEE all along. These things take time. A text message or call to the CC will not solve the problem. It starts a long process. The CC is a BB credit card and checked with them this evening. They are sending me back to Samsung. There will be a lot more phone calls.

Maybe it's easy in your country or on your planet....
Thank you for reading and keeping me on my toes to get this resolved!
I'm in the USA. You need to know your consumer rights... wherever you are... and exercise them.
Posting here about it isn't what I would do because it doesn't get anything done.
And it's a small, small world.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
So when did you get the phone?
This thread was started on the 11th.
If the purchase was made this month I would have l filed a complaint with the bank that day and sent the phone within a day.
By not doing so you compromise your position.

Samsung has made some great phones but I have zero confidence in their customer support, they earned it. Samsung has one open box special from me because of this. It would have been completely avoidable however Samsung did it to themselves. That was almost 2 years ago and my opinion of Samsung's customer service has only worsened after more first hand exposure to it.
Good luck.

This doesn't help you now but history tends to repeat itself.

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Google Pixel 6
So when did you get the phone?
This thread was started on the 11th.
If the purchase was made this month I would have l filed a complaint with the bank that day and sent the phone within a day.
By not doing so you compromise...
March 27. BB would have exchanged the phone within the 30day return window, if it had been in June. That would have been my first action. I must sound like an idiot though, seeing your assumptions...

Last edited:

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
March 27. BB would have exchanged the phone within the 30day return window, if it had been in June. That would have been my first action. I must sound like an idiot though, seeing your assumptions...
You should have stated that at the get go.
You know what Benny Hill had to say about the word assume.
I got the 10+ shortly after it was released so the same thing could have happened to me. Being one of the first isn't always a good thing...

Your can file a complaint with your State Attorney Generals office, they may or may not be useful. See if the card company will help, remedies vary by card type and state.
Other than that lean on the seller and especially Samsung. Use the term manufacturer defect.

Reactions: derausgewanderte

mzsquared

Feb 22, 2018
CT
@derausgewanderte

That's really bad & sad CS experience, it reads like like one of those customer's horror stories we'd like to never be in personally. I went thru two similar situations in the past and it both cases when I was losing all hopes I reached out to BBB detailing my complaints and got satisfactory resolve in both cases. I think big business still fears BBB in the US because they still posses the authority to counteract the corporate bs hype of the "greatest products" by providing the real results from customer complaints feedback. Try filling BBB complaint if everything else fails.

My last case I turned to BBB for help was w/ big o' tv manufacturer giving me the run around when, one month before the warranty's end, I discovered that the tv screen was gloving all night an eerie neon-green light after turning it off. Their solution was to replace it and they kept replacing it like 4 times bringing me tvs with the same defect and each time the cs response was: "ok, we''ll have to replace it again" When they got the BBB inquiry, I didn't have to deal w/ the cs anymore, got call from the company's headquarter people and they offered me the newest and upgraded model I'm happy with since. Later on I found out that the faulty model was practically non-repairable, it had serious design issues.

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Google Pixel 6
After another phone call explaining my next steps to go to the consumer court and evidence I have, the return shipping label changed to this:
Service Center Information 1. Name : RSI 2. City, State : Irving, TX 3. Tracking : ENR/REFUND

I contacted the FB Samsung Support folks to clarify:

They'll be issuing a refund for the device. If you can provide me with a copy of your bill of sale, I would be more than happy to begin that process. ^XYZ

More later

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Google Pixel 6
in the interim, an example of how this could work. The rubber cushion on my MS Surface headphones v2 came loose.
Went to my MS account and started the return process (Thursday last week). Not a single phone call or person involved. Received a brand new set today sans original retail box. Contained everything else, even the carrying case. Kudos to MS

Reactions: blackhawk

ione2380

Oct 13, 2009
Brasov
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
You had bad luck with one unit and I'm sorry, but don't get discouraged by this. If you got a refund, I would recommend you still buy the 21U as it's still the best phone out right now. I have it for 5 months and I have no problems with it. Any phone from any company can develop defects or other problems, but that doesn't mean the respective phone model is bad.

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Google Pixel 6
You had bad luck with one unit and I'm sorry, but don't get discouraged by this. If you got a refund, I would recommend you still buy the 21U as it's still the best phone out right now. I have it for 5 months and I have no problems with it. Any phone from any company can develop defects or other problems, but that doesn't mean the respective phone model is bad.
I would say it's among the top three, agree. I am not blaming hardware. I understand that there are always problems with hardware. The company needs to stand by this and have a no questions asked return/refund policy in place. Why would I buy a piece of hardware if the company has absolutely no trust in their customers? They can make the world's best phone, I will not buy it from them with their broken support system. It's one of those companies which has grown so large that the Support has so many layers that the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.

Case in point. They have been processing the refund for over a week now and I have not heard a peep, except the FB support folks who keep telling me it's coming. Now they are holding me hostage.

Reactions: ione2380

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Google Pixel 6
update 8/11/21

no further responses from Samsung FB Support for 10 days. Apparently they got tired of me.
I called Samsung and found out from first level support that the refund request was denied. Was I surprised? Not really....
Asked to be moved to supervisor. Eventually I talked to an accountant. She informed me that the internal refund request was denied because of some minor missing information. She pushed it through and confirmed that I will receive the refund at the full price of the device, gave me a new ticket number and an account number for the transferal. The process will apparently take 18 days or less.

This whole thing is causing me stomach ulcers.

I'll get my refund but I will also push through with the report to the consumer court. This is simply unacceptable. I am not even convinced that the transfer of funds will work smoothly. I don't believe anything they say until I actually have the money in my account.

For me this is an absolute deal breaker. They can sell this for $700 and I wouldn't touch it.

cheers

Last edited:

Dpk1

May 24, 2012
update 8/11/21

no further responses from Samsung FB Support for 10 days. Apparently they got tired of me.
I called Samsung and found out from first level support that the refund request was denied. Was I surprised? Not really....
Asked to be moved to supervisor. Eventually I talked to an accountant. She informed me that the internal refund request was denied because of some minor missing information. She pushed it through and confirmed that I will receive the refund at the full price of the device, gave me a new ticket number and an account number for the transferal. The process will apparently take 18 days or less.

This whole thing is causing me stomach ulcers.

I'll get my refund but I will also push through with the report to the consumer court. This is simply unacceptable. I am not even convinced that the transfer of funds will work smoothly. I don't believe anything they say until I actually have the money in my account.

For me this is an absolute deal breaker. They can sell this for $700 and I wouldn't touch it.

cheers
I've been using Samsung flagship smartphones for a long time. I know that most support/service guys in all tech companies will be underwhelming when it comes to getting a refund/replacement/repair under warranty. But the worst experience I've ever had is with Samsung support!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    final update and closing this chapter.
    I received my refund today, including the taxes - to the penny.
    What a cluster-f..k
    peace and over.
    An update to my story. After making some wind on FB and Twitter I was encouraged to send it in.
    It arrived at Samsung Repair via 2day air. Yesterday I received the good news that it has been repaired under warranty with the note "touchscreen failure". It's being shipped back to me now and I hope to have it my hands again in a couple days.
    cheers and thanks for listening/reading

PS: I've never dropped the phone. I would have associated the screen failure with that of course. I have not lost my marbles yet.
    Sorry in advance for asking you trivial question.
    Have you already removed Samsung's original pre-installed screen protector?
    blackhawk, enigmaamit. thanks for your support. I contacted them again today and was on the phone for an hour. Made sure everything is documented including the blatant lie that the touchscreen had a failure and that the actual failure of the screen separation was not fixed.

It's going back to them one more time tomorrow. Their support team ensured that it will be taken care of. I am not highly optimistic about this but who knows. They keep talking about "physical damage" and label it as "not under warranty based on condition". That of course is total BS and the rep I talked to agreed. Whatever their positive attitude today means, their left hand not know what their right hand is doing, this could go anywhere. I will find out be end of week and report back.
    If this isn't fixed under warranty I'll keep doing this until they get tired. I am not giving up on this, also because the separation line of the screen to the glass is moving.

The other part that is absolutely mind boggling is that, if you take all the time an energy they, UbreakIfix and I spend on this together, you can probably buy 3 of the phones. Ludicrous
    thank you all. Here is what my day went like today. I'm used to this. I just went through the same crap with Fitbit.

1) 8am: called Samsung support and was instructed to go to UbreakIfix in my area to assess the situation. They are contracted with Samsung (US). Luckily only a 20min drive for me.
    2) 10am: the folks at UbreakIfix recognized the problem and it agrees with enigmaamit's and my conclusions above.
    3) They informed me that they will start the process and it includes contacting Samsung.
    4) 11am: They called me an hour later to inform me that Samsung said that it is NOT under warranty.
    5) I contacted Samsung Support to let them know that I do not agree with their blind assessment, that even the UbreakIfix folks agreed with me. That didn't move the support lady and she was trying to give me some bs why not. I asked for a supervisor and waited 20min for her to find one.
    6) Then talked to a supervisor and he eventually he agreed that it is still under warranty and gave me a ticket and reference number I can use to have UbreakIfixit continue the work.
    7) 12am: I called UbreakIfixit and let them know. They were impressed that I turned this around (oh no, wait... we are not done yet...). They said they will proceed but during the process they will have to contact Samsung again before the surgery.
    8) 1pm: UbreakIfixit calls to let me know that they were told by Samsung that it is not covered under warranty.
    9) Called Samsung Support and the guy immediately asks me if I want to discuss with a supervisor. He can't get a hold of one for 30min but I eventually have all three parties on the call to address the situation. Samsung support rep says, he will have a supervisor contact me after evaluation of the situation. PS: during all these calls, Samsung kept asking me about 20 times whether there is any damage to the phone. I knew I should not call what I see damage and called it manufacturing problem.
    10) 4:30pm: UbreakIfixit calls to let me know that they just got off the phone with Samsung. Apparently they were on hold for 3hours with them just to find out ......drum roll......it's not under warranty and that I have two options. UbreakIfixit had the phone already taken apart with the replacement screen ready to go onto the phone! Pay the $318 for the repair or reconnect with Samsung to have it directly shipped to Samsung for evaluation and repair, with emphasis on "no guarantee it is under warranty and that I will have to pay the repair if it's not".

Wow, what a cluster f...ck. Kudos to the UbreakIfixit folks for going through this and keep a straight face. They told me that over the last couple weeks a number of S21 Ultra folks came in with blank screens and went through similar Samsung support nightmares but got theirs replaced under warranty. I guess I can only hope my phone goes blank before the warranty is expired.

Phone is back with me. For now I am too tired to think about shipping it just to find out that it's not covered under their warranty - whatever that is.
    It's a nuisance at the moment and I will go that route once the delamination expands. I am also looking at repair kits and there are good instructions online how to do it. Of course I am going to wait with that until my warranty expires.

Great product but awful customer support. They are trained to save every penny and their #1 goal is to tell you that whatever you have is not under warranty.

In the meantime I will write this up in a letter and keep bugging them about this. They wasted my and UbreakIfixit's time with this.

Alright, hope you never have to contact Samsung support!!
    cheers and thanks again for looking at my post and replying.

Update1: based on repair kits on ebay it is clear that there is a cover glass above the actual touchscreen. The kit costs $20 and includes tools and LOCA. What this tells me is that I am indeed seeing delamination of the touchscreen from this cover glass. The ebay listing also says that it's extremely difficult to do a repair. I will not touch that but it was informative.

Update2: as a tinkerer I also looked at OLED repair kits. both on ebay and aliexpress they cost ~$300 (it's not just the touch screen itself but a bunch of other things). The UbreakIfix price including labor for $318 is actually really good. Good to know....