• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Question S21Ultra exynos vs snapdragon! Any winners

Search This thread

Invincible29

Apr 3, 2010
The early reviews seem to be mixed. Has anyone managed to source two together to give a verdict what is the latest and greatest amongst the two in all aspects not just performance.

Reactions: pseudomar

nightoooo

Jun 17, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

This man is not accurate because the test he ran only on one device by his own and he let another person to perform same test on that person's device then he compared both even though the one with Exynos 2100 was set to QHD and the one with SD888 was set to FHD only!! I mean this could impact the tests negatively!! The test conditions should be exactly the same!!

Reactions: moSess

nightoooo

Jun 17, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Listen to this guy, he is from HK and he've got the Snapdragon 888, in this video at 3:38 he mention that he don't understand how the american youtubers claims a 1.5 day battery life while his own experience in much less than that (almost half of that) .. so many youtubers unfortunately lies about the battery life and obviously this fool people who buys that device with Snapdragon 888, many of them put the phone only on Wi-Fi and not on cellular, it's not good and not nice when they claim something which is so badly incorrect. Note that BEN from the video below is using the phone with a SIM card, not with wi-fi only!

Review for SD888

Invincible29

Apr 3, 2010
This man is not accurate because the test he ran only on one device by his own and he let another person to perform same test on that person's device then he compared both even though the one with Exynos 2100 was set to QHD and the one with SD888 was set to FHD only!! I mean this could impact the tests negatively!! The test conditions should be exactly the same!!
Where is the source for your info?

Reactions: Batfink33

mtm1401

Apr 10, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Where is the source for your info?

So in all fairness, I did go back and look at the speed test video he did between the two and noticed a few things

• Looks like different people kicking off the tests (based on the table they are on and skin colour).
  • SD is in aeroplane mode and Exynos is connected to cellular but no wifi/mobile data.
  • Resolutions are very slightly different, but both look like they are in FHD, but the SD has a slightly lower resolution as the navigation bar is different and makes the screen slightly smaller. QHD makes a minimal difference to battery life unless you're doing something GPU intensive.
In all fairness, I've seen mixed reviews of both chips, but no idea how people are setting up their phones (always do a clean install!!!). Have to wait and see how it performs when the phone arrives.

Reactions: nightoooo

Invincible29

Apr 3, 2010
So in all fairness, I did go back and look at the speed test video he did between the two and noticed a few things

• Looks like different people kicking off the tests (based on the table they are on and skin colour).
  • SD is in aeroplane mode and Exynos is connected to cellular but no wifi/mobile data.
  • Resolutions are very slightly different, but both look like they are in FHD, but the SD has a slightly lower resolution as the navigation bar is different and makes the screen slightly smaller. QHD makes a minimal difference to battery life unless you're doing something GPU intensive.
In all fairness, I've seen mixed reviews of both chips, but no idea how people are setting up their phones (always do a clean install!!!). Have to wait and see how it performs when the phone arrives.
Have you gone for snapdragon or exynos. I am on the fence for buying either and can't decide. Not enough reliable info but if its anything like last year then I would rather import 888 into the UK.

mtm1401

Apr 10, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Have you gone for snapdragon or exynos. I am on the fence for buying either and can't decide. Not enough reliable info but if its anything like last year then I would rather import 888 into the UK.

I pre-ordered the Exynos, trade in deal for my s10+ was good and I was in the market for some earbuds anyway.

I won't send my current phone in until I'm happy, 28 days should be enough to determine if the Ultra is worth keeping or not. (although won't get much of a chance to test out and about!).

I have considered SDs in the past, just a bit concerned about replacing it via insurance if it gets damaged (have to take it to a Samsung store). Seems like this year the SD isn't worth the hassle unless you constantly play demanding games which I don't. I would wait for the AMD S22, but I'm too impatient/tech whore sooooo couldn't wait.

The problem for me is trying to avoid Chinese phones (for ethical reasons), doesn't leave much choice!

nightoooo

Jun 17, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

Thanks a lot of sparing me time to get the info again, obviously the differences are there and i get so sick of people claiming they are doing something huge while they just needs to get more publicity than giving the pure truth to everyone!!

For my opinion, i will not accept any of the videos to let me purchase or not the S21 Ultra, because they always run the phone in "lab" conditions, not real conditions that could affect the whole experience!

Last edited:

nightoooo

Jun 17, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

I was in the same seat of you, not sure to get the Exynos 2100 in Sweden or i go for SD888 from HK. I have today S20 Ultra Snapdragon model and very happy with its performance & battery life but not the camera with the auto-focus issues and also for the macro pictures. So i was looking at all tests, feedbacks, reviews, i am now more sure that Exynos 2100 is for me this time because of the battery life and also the good performance, i know the GPU is weaker but for my part, battery life is more important, so with SD888 and its bad battery life there is no reason to buy it, i don't play games with my phones so i will be fine with Exynos 2100!

BTW, the Exynos 2100 gives me what i need, from full support for 5G network as my carrier has kicked off here in Sweden unlike the SD888 which lacks the important Band 40 and 42! Also the SD888 lacks the eSIM functionality!

Last edited:
Reactions: Invincible29

Invincible29

Apr 3, 2010
I was in the same seat of you, not sure to get the Exynos 2100 in Sweden or i go for SD888 from HK. I have today S20 Ultra Snapdragon model and very happy with its performance & battery life but not the camera with the auto-focus issues and also for the macro pictures. So i was looking at all tests, feedbacks, reviews, i am now sure that Exynos 2100 is for me this time because of the battery life and also the good performance, i know the GPU is weaker but for my part battery life is more important, so with SD888 and bad battery time, there is no reason for me to buy it, i don't play games with my phones so i will be fine with Exynos 2100 for now.
I have been watching Gary's videos as well. Its a close call this time and I don't play games on the phone. Leaning towards exynos due to warranty and not having to import plus buds and tag as freebies etc. Just conscious of what happened last year and the difference was huge. Also samsung is not selling mmwave snapdragon or exynos outside of the US which is mean as mmwave is only a year or two away from landing in Europe. Why not treat all of its customers equally! I think with the recent history snapdragon had a novelty factor to it but others are catching up. Let's hope snapdragon doesn't become intel of mobile world.

mtm1401

Apr 10, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Thanks a lot of sparing me time to get the info again, obviously the differences are there and i get so sick of people claiming they are doing something huge while they just needs to get more publicity than giving the pure truth to everyone!!

For my opinion, i will not accept any of the videos to let me purchase or not the S21 Ultra, because they always run the phone in "lab" conditions, not real conditions that could affect the whole experience!

Yea it's not exactly like for like but can't imagine it makes loads of difference. I'm also more fussed about battery life, so will test it once I get it and see how it goes, battery life is just so dependent on personal usage, although I will say Phonebuff do a better job of testing, i.e. standby times and such, which gives a better idea of relative performance.

Andrei from Anandtech does really good reviews as well, but so in-depth that they don't usually release in time for pre-order

nightoooo

Jun 17, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I have been watching Gary's videos as well. Its a close call this time and I don't play games on the phone. Leaning towards exynos due to warranty and not having to import plus buds and tag as freebies etc. Just conscious of what happened last year and the difference was huge. Also samsung is not selling mmwave snapdragon or exynos outside of the US which is mean as mmwave is only a year or two away from landing in Europe. Why not treat all of its customers equally! I think with the recent history snapdragon had a novelty factor to it but others are catching up. Let's hope snapdragon doesn't become intel of mobile world.

Yes, for sure you are getting 2 years warranty with Exynos 2100 in UK (i think) because we get that in Sweden too, additionally you are getting the pre booking freebies (Galaxy Buds Pro + Smart Tag), then you don't need to compare Exynos 2100 with the extremely bad Exynos 990 because the CPU is exactly the same as in SD888.

Regarding the MMwave, i don't care about it right now as it is not implemented yet in the networks here in Sweden, but i do have full 5G support for the rest of the bands which give me an advantage when the 4G is fully loaded.

I think Snapdragon will not be the intel of mobile world because Samsung is getting AMD help and involvement in the coming products, this will change the game!

Reactions: mtm1401

Invincible29

Apr 3, 2010
This e sim is really important as you can add profiles without the need for physical sims. I had double checked this with HK version and it does not seem to be on the spec sheet. Yes band 40 will be gold once o2 pull their finger out in the UK for 5g. I think the decision is made for me that its going to be exynos for me plus also get samsung pay to work which is really handy for store cards. I'm using s9+ now and I don't know how uncomfortable the size of s21 ultra will be!

eyeatoma

Jun 18, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

What would you consider a clean install? Can you import settings from your samsung profile? I generally don't transfer with the USB, but I download all my apps after the phone is booted up from the original install. Only after the phone boots up and finishes the setup do I get the apps from the play store.

mtm1401

Apr 10, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
What would you consider a clean install? Can you import settings from your samsung profile? I generally don't transfer with the USB, but I download all my apps after the phone is booted up from the original install. Only after the phone boots up and finishes the setup do I get the apps from the play store.
I would start fresh, download apps manually, most have a cloud back up that they use themselves to restore once they are installed. From a settings perspective I'd do that all again fresh and let the system determine sleeping applications etc.
Basically avoid smart switch!

Tbh it's a good sort of audit process to work out which apps you have that you don't even use anymore

Reactions: nightoo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I respect him a lot as well but this time I don't follow his video and thoughts. When he said that Samsung release an Exynos version and a Snapdragon version of the S21 Ultra, it feels like he just discovered that. Then when he sees there's major difference with the camera between Exynos and Snapdragon, What he showed on his videos aren't dramatically different. By the way some shot was better on Exynos some was better on Snapdragon. Yet he only mention when the shot goes wrong with Exynos. Biased. The PlayStation emulator scenario, again there were no dramatic difference (plus I'm not even sure if that example is valable. Run a Genshin impact at 60fps with Exynos and Snapdragon. What's the use of scenarios that doesn't even represent what the majority do or play with their phone.)

Finally he said that he doesn't believe that these "issues" can't be fixed by software update because the phone are already on the market?

Should we begin with the number of games that are released unfinished but get "finished" with updates ? Ok I digress.

So when Samsung release updates they can't make adjustments on their software ? Weird, we received an update on the S21 Ultra recently to improve the cameras.

The only part on the video where it made sense for me is the part when he charged the phones and run his tests and then talk about temperature and stuff.

I respect that guy a lot but, the bashing over Exynos i don't get it. Particularly when numbers of Exynos users seems satisfied with their s21Ultra, which wasn't the case in the past
    You see what's happening now is people who have Snapdragon and people who have not bought any S21 wants to prove that Exynos is bad and they got a better phone or just make people who bought an S21 feel bad respectively!(don't take it the wrong way but having gone through the forum posts and comments, this is what I understood)... But the thing is noone is taking the word of actual people who bought the phone and is happy about it to account at all! Everyone is so focused on what "tech reviewers" say and when someone supports Exynos, they are lying or stupid and if they bash the Exynos, they are the best because I have seen what people have been saying about MrWhoseTheBoss... His test was actually comprehensive but the part where he read the temperature thing was wrong and he admitted it so did he admit he'll have another go at it after the other guy the TechChap's video came out! But how does all this affect the daily usage of a phone? People who buy a new phone look at battery, display, cameras, day to day performance and gaming to some extent as well! And everything is same in both the phones! I'm getting almost 8hrs+ screen on time with 17hrs+ usage at wqhd with 120hz with the Exynos and that too seeing videos, using duo atleast for 2 hours daily, streaming music, browsing etc. What's the problem now? I do accept the camera performance might not be that good compared to Snapdragon and I really hope Samsung fixes this in the next software update or any software update! But my phone captures better photos than any of the phones people I know uses and I don't do pixel peeking! So... I'm not sure how many people will agree to my view point on this... But let's see!
    Watch this video and to be honest, I am fed of people complaining too much about the camera quality in Exynos because simply it's performing even better than Snapdragon, so please stop this annoying fanboys mentality, get a proper life and let people enjoy thier life..

Ok got my hands on a snapdragon s21 ultra and compared with my exynos s21 ultra. The camera quality is almost light and day. The exynos oversharpens shockingly to make up for less detail it's inferior ISP can process so it tends to just up the sharpness in a attempt to compensate which looks over processed and just shocking. It's pretty bad when you pixel peep but even when you don't it's quite obvious especially in trees and fine detail ect.. Colours are better on the snapdragon as well. Updates might fix it but I doubt it. My note 20 ultra (snapdragon) took better photos than this exynos s21 ultra. It's laughable that these are the same phones. Disappointing as usual especially after they've made ground in battery and performance. I'll continue to import SD.

I smelling bullshit here..
    Everyone with Exynos have HEATING PROBLEM!
    If you open the camera just 10 minutes it will heat.

If you recording video for 10 Minutes, your phone will heat to 47°C and phone will close your camera.
    This is happening in winter when is not so HOT. What will be in summer???

Will Samsung fix this with updates?

Nope, not everyone. Reviewers users include me, dont have any heating problems.
    Its boring, users with SD tries to degrade tge exynos version with fake informations.. Dont cry babies, exynos is now almost in par with snap. A little better performance and videos in snap.
    A little better photos and battery time in in exynos.
    Thats all.