Question S22 Ultra and Android Auto (wireless) issue

Search This thread
I have a 2021 Accord with native WirelessAA on the head unit and using S22 Ultra. It is very laggy and slow to response. Same with Note20 Ultra. But when I got the car back in Nov 2020 I was using S20 Ultra and it was smooth and work well.

I have try the following
- Factory reset my device (set up as brand new, no SmartSwitch transfer) - then re-pairing with the vehicle.
- Clear cache and data on AA app
- Factory reset the head unit on the car
- Wired connection work better but it cannot keep up the charge (Honda said that the USB port for AA is 2.5A - but it charge my device very slow, sometimes stop charging and getting very hot. This issues is also with my previous Note20 Ultra). I used the Samsung USB-A to C cable and Anker USB-A to C. Both is having the same problem. The built in wireless charger is even worse because it can only do 4.5W
- Battery drain on Wireless AA is horrendous
- My head unit get really hot while running AA

I like Wireless AA but the battery drain and lag issues alone are annoying.

XBOHDPuKC

Sep 9, 2007
It's still much "laggier" than my Note20 was... Maps seem to be fine, voice commands process fine, however the app selection is lagging and annoying. No solution so far.

fmsidoe

May 24, 2008
The Hague
It's still much "laggier" than my Note20 was... Maps seem to be fine, voice commands process fine, however the app selection is lagging and annoying. No solution so far.
Lag was fixed with car head unit firmware update. Seems that the head unit of the car also needs an update to be compatible with newer phones. Probably something with new out of the box Android 12 phones which the head unit needs some changes to make it fully compatible.

XBOHDPuKC

Sep 9, 2007
Lag was fixed with car head unit firmware update. Seems that the head unit of the car also needs an update to be compatible with newer phones. Probably something with new out of the box Android 12 phones which the head unit needs some changes to make it fully compatible.

ah good thinking... downloading a new update for kia k900, we'll see if it fixes anything

XBOHDPuKC

Sep 9, 2007
🤦‍♀️ Even worse after the update. Now the screen goes blank and that's all. Went through the whole troubleshooting routine on AAW - the light stays solid blue. Interestingly enough I suspect it's not even AAW, since I get same thing with the cable connect. Oh well, we'll see if it just starts working as it did in the past.

hand-filer

🤦‍♀️ Even worse after the update. Now the screen goes blank and that's all. Went through the whole troubleshooting routine on AAW - the light stays solid blue. Interestingly enough I suspect it's not even AAW, since I get same thing with the cable connect. Oh well, we'll see if it just starts working as it did in the past.
Have you tried doing a hard reset of your infotainment system?

fmsidoe

May 24, 2008
The Hague
You mean while connecting to Android Auto right? Had the same issue. Had to do with that AA app battery optimization. When i changed it to unrestricted, it works instantly. Also the same cable that comes with AA wireless does not work on my note 22 ultra when wired connected. Used my Jabra headset usb c cable and that cable works only. So try different cables. But if it goes blank, i think its the battery optimization and deep sleep settings maybe of the AA app.

The car head unit update for me was Hyundai Tucson latest model. So your new Kia car has same update i think.

XBOHDPuKC

Sep 9, 2007
You mean while connecting to Android Auto right? Had the same issue. Had to do with that AA app battery optimization. When i changed it to unrestricted, it works instantly. Also the same cable that comes with AA wireless does not work on my note 22 ultra when wired connected. Used my Jabra headset usb c cable and that cable works only. So try different cables. But if it goes blank, i think its the battery optimization and deep sleep settings maybe of the AA app.

The car head unit update for me was Hyundai Tucson latest model. So your new Kia car has same update i think.

Interesting idea - tried to switch it to Unrestricted and it still shows just a blank screen on the dashboard. Phone shows connected and all that - does that almost intantaneously.
NOW, what I also figured out is that this IS the S22U problem - connected my pixel 6 pro that is still around and it worked like a charm. Well, Pixel has this stupid bug that it disconnects from the system randomly, but at least it showed the AA screen (both connected through AAW and cable).

hand-filer

Interesting idea - tried to switch it to Unrestricted and it still shows just a blank screen on the dashboard. Phone shows connected and all that - does that almost intantaneously.
NOW, what I also figured out is that this IS the S22U problem - connected my pixel 6 pro that is still around and it worked like a charm. Well, Pixel has this stupid bug that it disconnects from the system randomly, but at least it showed the AA screen (both connected through AAW and cable).
I'd be more inclined to bet on it being an S22 configuration problem.

Reactions: fmsidoe

XBOHDPuKC

Sep 9, 2007
I have no argument with that - the key is to figure out which one.
Oh and seems like Pixel disconnect is fixed, though it has (and had) termal management problems... dang...

Alright, so the final solution was NOT TO use Samsung SmartSwitch to bring apps and data from the old phone. After factory resetting the phone and setting it up from scratch, AAW works like a charm.

Warrimonk

Aug 15, 2009
I have a 2021 Accord with native WirelessAA on the head unit and using S22 Ultra. It is very laggy and slow to response. Same with Note20 Ultra. But when I got the car back in Nov 2020 I was using S20 Ultra and it was smooth and work well.

I have try the following
- Factory reset my device (set up as brand new, no SmartSwitch transfer) - then re-pairing with the vehicle.
- Clear cache and data on AA app
- Factory reset the head unit on the car
- Wired connection work better but it cannot keep up the charge (Honda said that the USB port for AA is 2.5A - but it charge my device very slow, sometimes stop charging and getting very hot. This issues is also with my previous Note20 Ultra). I used the Samsung USB-A to C cable and Anker USB-A to C. Both is having the same problem. The built in wireless charger is even worse because it can only do 4.5W
- Battery drain on Wireless AA is horrendous
- My head unit get really hot while running AA

I like Wireless AA but the battery drain and lag issues alone are annoying.
Did you ever find a fix for this? I have an Ottocast AA Wireless on my 2018 Honda Accord.
With my Poco X3 Pro it worked fairly well (very occasional stutter)
With my new S22 Ultra, wireless Android Auto is SUPER sluggish. Especially if playing Spotify music while navigating with Google Maps.

Super frustrating that a 2 year old midrange phone is outperforming the S22 Ultra..

draskome

Jul 7, 2013
Kotor
OnePlus 6
Huawei P30 Pro
I'm using S22Ultra U1 with my 2021 Kia Sportage (EU model), and I'm amazed with the responsivnes and stability of AA wireless. I have native Wireless AA support, no adapters.
Wireless AA is on pair with wired AA, and i can't really tell the difference without taking a look at the phone to see is it connected with cable or not.

Also, I'm using AA heavily, with Spotify almost always on, Google maps, TuneinRadio, and ocassinaly also YouTube trough Fermata Auto. No issues with any of mentioned apps.

Based on my experience, logical conclusion is that it's not S22 to blame for problems, but interaction of phone and car.

Did you ever find a fix for this? I have an Ottocast AA Wireless on my 2018 Honda Accord.
With my Poco X3 Pro it worked fairly well (very occasional stutter)
With my new S22 Ultra, wireless Android Auto is SUPER sluggish. Especially if playing Spotify music while navigating with Google Maps.

Super frustrating that a 2 year old midrange phone is outperforming the S22 Ultra..
Make sure the AA app battery is set to optimized or unrestricted, then in battery usage limits, add it to never sleeping apps. In my expierience, if the AA app is in sleeping apps or restricted battery, it becomes very sluggish.

Mariuszuzd

May 29, 2018
I'm unable to connect my S22 ultra with Skoda since the February. I have checked all possible cables and setting, with no luck :( Pixel 4a and other devices working like charm :(

Paul_Deemer

Sep 21, 2017
Greenville
If you had Android Auto working then it stopped working try this. With Phone connected to the car wired restart phone. After it resstarts pull cable out of car then plug it back in again. That's what always fixes it for me when it's not connecting.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was finally able to make it work. Please note that I am using an AAWireless (an external wireless device), not a builtin wireless capability in the car head unit

• Cleared up the phone connection list of the cars (wifi, bluetooth and the AAWireless devices)
    • Removed all devices listed in the head unit android auto list of devices
    • Removed the relevant devices from the car's list of bluetooth
    • Reconnected the phone to the car with cable and ensured working correctly
    • Reconnected the AAWireless device to the car and ensured working correctly
      • that initially did not work
      • Turned on the passtrhru option in the device and AA started working with the AAWireless device
    • Turned the car off and on a few times to ensure still working ;-)
    • Repeated the process successfully on the second car

So, as of last night, I had it all working. Will probably check today it still works :)
    I have no argument with that - the key is to figure out which one.
    Oh and seems like Pixel disconnect is fixed, though it has (and had) termal management problems... dang...

Alright, so the final solution was NOT TO use Samsung SmartSwitch to bring apps and data from the old phone. After factory resetting the phone and setting it up from scratch, AAW works like a charm.
    I was finally able to make it work. Please note that I am using an AAWireless (an external wireless device), not a builtin wireless capability in the car head unit

• Cleared up the phone connection list of the cars (wifi, bluetooth and the AAWireless devices)
    • Removed all devices listed in the head unit android auto list of devices
    • Removed the relevant devices from the car's list of bluetooth
    • Reconnected the phone to the car with cable and ensured working correctly
    • Reconnected the AAWireless device to the car and ensured working correctly
      • that initially did not work
      • Turned on the passtrhru option in the device and AA started working with the AAWireless device
    • Turned the car off and on a few times to ensure still working ;-)
    • Repeated the process successfully on the second car

So, as of last night, I had it all working. Will probably check today it still works :)
    Appreciate that information I enabled pass through on my AA wireless device. With the s22 ultra and now it's working fine
    In my case, AAWireless works out of the box, but there is issue with music playback. Every 30s there is 0,5s audio drop.
    I'd be more inclined to bet on it being an S22 configuration problem.