Question S22 Ultra Verizon SIM Unlock

Search This thread

kisshell99

Dec 11, 2015
Verizon unlocks all phones automatically after 60 days. They have to. They made an agreement when they purchased a wireless band years ago that their phones would be unlocked. They somehow worked out the ability to lock them for the first 60 days.

More on why they unlock at 60 days and why they have to.
Hey mate,
So are the blacklisted phone also unlocked if they have passed the 60 days?
How do they unlock the phone? Is it via server?

Hey mate,
Blacklisted phones won't even work on its network. Blacklisted usually means the device was reported as lost or stolen. There is a common database that all the carriers (at least in the US) report lost or stolen devices to, and check before activating on their respective networks.

Verizon used to unlock its devices as soon as you walked out of the store with it. However, because of a series of daytime armed robberies of several of its stores, it asked the FCC to waive the unlock period to 60 days to deter would be thieves. Verizon has a database of the IMEIs of the devices it sells. Once it hits the 60 day mark the phone will be unlocked and you can use it on other networks. The caveat to that is if the phone is not paid off and the person decides to stop making payments, Verizon will blacklist it and it won't work at all. The same thing happens if a device is reported as lost or stolen.

Reactions: kisshell99

kisshell99

Dec 11, 2015
Blacklisted phones won't even work on its network. Blacklisted usually means the device was reported as lost or stolen. There is a common database that all the carriers (at least in the US) report lost or stolen devices to, and check before activating on their respective networks.

Verizon used to unlock its devices as soon as you walked out of the store with it. However, because of a series of daytime armed robberies of several of its stores, it asked the FCC to waive the unlock period to 60 days to deter would be thieves. Verizon has a database of the IMEIs of the devices it sells. Once it hits the 60 day mark the phone will be unlocked and you can use it on other networks. The caveat to that is if the phone is not paid off and the person decides to stop making payments, Verizon will blacklist it and it won't work at all. The same thing happens if a device is reported as lost or stolen.
I understand the blacklisted thing. I am not in US so want to use it abroad. My current phone is bad imei Verizon s9plus. So even if the phone is blacklisted before the 60 days, it gets unlocked? That's my main question now.

I understand the blacklisted thing. I am not in US so want to use it abroad. My current phone is bad imei Verizon s9plus. So even if the phone is blacklisted before the 60 days, it gets unlocked? That's my main question now.
No it does not get unlocked. Here is an excerpt from the article:

"By giving Verizon the thumbs-up for its limited waiver from the C block rules, the FCC is mandating that Verizon automatically unlock phones after 60 days — even for devices that are still on payment plans and even if a customer doesn’t specifically request it. The one exception here is fraud: if Verizon determines a phone was purchased fraudulently, it can keep the device lock in place."

If Verizon determines the phone was purchased fraudulently, it can keep the device lock in place. It will also blacklist the IMEI. To prevent it from being used at all.

kisshell99

Dec 11, 2015

"By giving Verizon the thumbs-up for its limited waiver from the C block rules, the FCC is mandating that Verizon automatically unlock phones after 60 days — even for devices that are still on payment plans and even if a customer doesn’t specifically request it. The one exception here is fraud: if Verizon determines a phone was purchased fraudulently, it can keep the device lock in place."

If Verizon determines the phone was purchased fraudulently, it can keep the device lock in place. It will also blacklist the IMEI. To prevent it from being used at all.
So if a phone was blacklisted after the 60 days than it should be unlocked right?
I used to live in US and did lot of phone unlocking work. I am so out of loop now. I have a z3x box.
So currently I just need to buy a bad imei phone which is unlocked. Seems to be none of the s22 line from US can be sim unlocked apart from the carrier themselves.
So I will try to look for a phone which was active for 60 days atleast .
I don't know if I am doing anything wrong but most unlocked bad imei/esn phones do work abroad.
Anyway to find a Verizon phone which was active for more than 60 days after asking for the phone imei?

So if a phone was blacklisted after the 60 days than it should be unlocked right?
I used to live in US and did lot of phone unlocking work. I am so out of loop now. I have a z3x box.
So currently I just need to buy a bad imei phone which is unlocked. Seems to be none of the s22 line from US can be sim unlocked apart from the carrier themselves.
So I will try to look for a phone which was active for 60 days atleast .
I don't know if I am doing anything wrong but most unlocked bad imei/esn phones do work abroad.
Anyway to find a Verizon phone which was active for more than 60 days after asking for the phone imei?
If the phone is blacklisted, it won't matter if it is unlocked. It won't work at all, on any carrier.

kisshell99

Dec 11, 2015
If the phone is blacklisted, it won't matter if it is unlocked. It won't work at all, on any carrier.
What I am trying to say is it does work here in my country which is not US.
I used to buy cheap bad esn and imei samsung phone. Unlock with the box and also flash the international unlocked rom and get a phone for cheap.
I have done this multiple times in multiple countries and it all works. Did this with s9, s10 , s8. But it's been a while now. So yes it doesn't work in US anymore but a unlocked blacklisted phone will work abroad.

Raiz

Forum Moderator / XDA Welcome Team
Staff member
I used to buy cheap bad esn and imei samsung phone. Unlock with the box and also flash the international unlocked rom and get a phone for cheap.
I have done this multiple times in multiple countries and it all works. Did this with s9, s10 , s8. But it's been a while now. So yes it doesn't work in US anymore but a unlocked blacklisted phone will work abroad.
What you call "bad IMEI" phones are stolen phones that have been blacklisted. XDA doesn't allow IMEI tampering discussions because it isn't legal in most countries. Some people might corrupt their EFS partition and try to recover their IMEI afterwards, but never modify it. Please, refrain from talking about this in XDA.

Thanks for your understanding, have a great day,
Raiz.

kisshell99

Dec 11, 2015
What you call "bad IMEI" phones are stolen phones that have been blacklisted. XDA doesn't allow IMEI tampering discussions because it isn't legal in most countries. Some people might corrupt their EFS partition and try to recover their IMEI afterwards, but never modify it. Please, refrain from talking about this in XDA.

Raiz.
Hey man,
I am not sure I am in confusion but I didn't say I tempered with imei. I just said that I have used blacklisted phone which were unlocked outside.
Sorry for the post mate

Raiz

Forum Moderator / XDA Welcome Team
Staff member
???
Nope. Have never done that man.
Don't know how that works but I didn't have to do anything other than making sure the phone was unlocked.
Anyways, if you don't talk about IMEI tampering in XDA I'm happy with that, this include the "bad IMEI" thing and what can be indirectly related to IMEI tampering. I'm referring to rule 9 :
9. Don't get us into trouble.

Don't post copyrighted materials or do other things which will obviously lead to legal trouble. If you wouldn't do it on your own homepage, you probably shouldn't do it here either. This does not mean that we agree with everything that the software piracy lobby try to impose on us. It simply means that you cannot break any laws here, since we'll end up dealing with the legal hassle caused by you. Please use common sense: respect the forum, its users and those that write great code.
You're free to do anything on your own, just don't get XDA in trouble by mentioning or making allusions to illegal stuff.
Have a good day,
Raiz.

kisshell99

Dec 11, 2015
Anyways, if you don't talk about IMEI tampering in XDA I'm happy with that, this include the "bad IMEI" thing and what can be indirectly related to IMEI tampering. I'm referring to rule 9 :

You're free to do anything on your own, just don't get XDA in trouble by mentioning or making allusions to illegal stuff.
Have a good day,
Raiz.
Got u mate.
Thanks for clearing out my confusion.

Reactions: Raiz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ???
    Nope. Have never done that man.
    Don't know how that works but I didn't have to do anything other than making sure the phone was unlocked.
    9. Don't get us into trouble.

Don't post copyrighted materials or do other things which will obviously lead to legal trouble. If you wouldn't do it on your own homepage, you probably shouldn't do it here either. This does not mean that we agree with everything that the software piracy lobby try to impose on us. It simply means that you cannot break any laws here, since we'll end up dealing with the legal hassle caused by you. Please use common sense: respect the forum, its users and those that write great code.
    Have a good day,
    Raiz.

Raiz.
    I thought the VZW phones were all unlock for non US GSM networks right out the box. I switched from VZW a few years back when sprint had the 1 year free offer, i stayed when they merged with TMO because of the 5G.
    Hey mate,