Question S22 Ultra Very Laggy and slow

Search This thread

AmazDev

Sep 23, 2018
Taranto
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Totally agree. But i believe its the app developers.

Something just isn't right. Some apps work flawlessly and consume minimum battery and others just get out of control every time they add new features.

If you go into google play store and check for updates. You are guaranteed to find apps that are updated almost everyday.
As an experienced android developer (5 years) I can tell that it's not totally true.
There's not so much we can do to optimise apps performance, there are some guidelines to follow suggested by Google directly but I can tell that unless you're working on a very big project (eg. Twitter or Facebook apps) it will not make much difference in real world to the end user, expecially on High End devices with a very powerful processor. I mean, raw power of Exynos 2200 or Snap 8 Gen 1 is enough to make every app to run smooth even if its coded like crap.
Most of the optimisation is done by the compiler and the OS itself (I mean the vanilla android os, regardless of the manufacturer customisation).

What really makes the difference is how the manufacturer decides to manage system resources: heavily throttling can make even the lightest app to run very bad, not to talk about memory management etc. I think Samsung has a lot of work to do with its OneUI in this scenario.

Last edited:

readymarc

Dec 30, 2016
As an experienced android developer (5 years) I can tell that it's not totally true.
There's not so much we can do to optimise apps performance, there are some guidelines to follow suggested by Google directly but I can tell that unless you're working on a very big project (eg. Twitter or Facebook apps) it will not make much difference in real world to the end user, expecially on an High End devices with a very powerful processor. I mean, raw power of Exynos 2200 or Snap 8 Gen 1 is enough to make every app to run smooth even if its coded like crap.
Most of the optimisation is done by the compiler and the OS itself (I mean the vanilla android os, regardless of the manufacturer customisation).

What really makes the difference is how the manufacturer decides to manage system resources: heavily throttling can make even the lightest app to run very bad, not to talk about memory management etc. I think Samsung has a lot of work to do with its OneUI in this scenario.
Oh Ok. Thanks for this info.

Batfink33

Apr 8, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
There's not so much we can do to optimise apps performance, there are some guidelines to follow suggested by Google directly but I can tell that unless you're working on a very big project (eg. Twitter or Facebook apps) it will not make much difference in real world to the end user, expecially on an High End devices with a very powerful processor. I mean, raw power of Exynos 2200 or Snap 8 Gen 1 is enough to make every app to run smooth even if its coded like crap.

If it is OneUI, why does the s21u and Zfold3 for eg run much smoother without much lag or stutter? I don't think it's the apps that are causing the problem but is it really OneUI 4.1 if it runs well on older devices? Why is the Exynos (for me anyway) running like sh** sometimes with frame drops and stutter everywhere? I do suspect it's heating quickly and throttling and I wonder if they're limiting the touch boosting etc to try and lower the temps overall.

Reactions: Ceza21

TheAd0

Oct 5, 2017
If it is OneUI, why does the s21u and Zfold3 for eg run much smoother without much lag or stutter? I don't think it's the apps that are causing the problem but is it really OneUI 4.1 if it runs well on older devices? Why is the Exynos (for me anyway) running like sh** sometimes with frame drops and stutter everywhere? I do suspect it's heating quickly and throttling and I wonder if they're limiting the touch boosting etc to try and lower the temps overall.

It's Samsung's Android kernel that's adapted to their SoC or the SoC itself.
If it's bad integration with kernel it's fixable. If it is in the silicon itself, it could be unfixable and be wonky forever.

Reactions: Batfink33

Batfink33

Apr 8, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
It's Samsung's Android kernel that's adapted to their SoC or the SoC itself.
If it's bad integration with kernel it's fixable. If it is in the silicon itself, it could be unfixable and be wonky forever.
Yeah, that's my worry. The 2200 just isn't that good so they're trying to keep the temp down by limiting it causing stutters etc.

Reactions: TheAd0

TheAd0

Oct 5, 2017
Yeah, that's my worry. The 2200 just isn't that good so they're trying to keep the temp down by limiting it causing stutters etc.

It's astonishing that they can't do better when they literally have their own fab and chip design in their own product...

Was Samsung fired from making more SD chips now? Will TSMC make the new chips from summer? I read something like that. I really like the design, the camera and all but I just refuse to get the Exynos version. Enough is enough.

Reactions: Batfink33

AmazDev

Sep 23, 2018
Taranto
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
You're partially right: Even if the same version of OneUI is looking the same across all supported devices, every device is a totally different system (different hardware in every sense) so the software is also very different.
I guess older devices are simply better optimised, expecially the GPU. That is the main issue in my opinion. When we make apps, we don't write a single line of code about GPU, it's all done by the compiler (gradle). There are some custom APIs that can be used to improve game's performances for a specific GPU but it's literally all given by the manufacturer. We just need to include their custom SDK and write the required lines of code, that's it.

The main work has to be done by Samsung, they have to work hard to improve xClipse GPU drivers or you Exynos users will experience stutters and lags forever.

Batfink33

Apr 8, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
It's astonishing that they can't do better when they literally have their own fab and chip design in their own product...

Was Samsung fired from making more SD chips now? Will TSMC make the new chips from summer? I read something like that. I really like the design, the camera and all but I just refuse to get the Exynos version. Enough is enough.
Everything about the phone is great from the Spen to the display to the design *but* the performance to me isn't great. The stutters drive me mad at times, way worse than any other flagship I've used in the past year.
You're partially right: Even if the same version of OneUI is looking the same across all supported devices, every device is a totally different system (different hardware in every sense) so the software is also very different.
I guess older devices are simply better optimised, expecially the GPU. That is the main issue in my opinion. When we make apps, we don't write a single line of code anything about GPU, it's all done by the compiler (gradle). There are some custom APIs that can be used to improve game's performances for a specific GPU but it's literally all given by the manufacturer. We just need to include their custom SDK and write the required lines of code, that's it.

The main work has to be done by Samsung, they have to work hard to improve xClipse GPU drivers or you Exynos users will experience stutters and lags forever.
And that's if Samsung can be bothered. If they deem the performance to be "acceptable" then they'll move onto the s23 and leave the S22u alone. I've had numerous phones in the past that has happened to.

TheAd0

Oct 5, 2017
Everything about the phone is great from the Spen to the display to the design *but* the performance to me isn't great. The stutters drive me mad at times, way worse than any other flagship I've used in the past year.

And you got Exynos?

And that's if Samsung can be bothered. If they deem the performance to be "acceptable" then they'll move onto the s23 and leave the S22u alone. I've had numerous phones in the past that has happened to.

Yes - What the lesson here is to buy last years flagship and see if it's sufficient haha.

Batfink33

Apr 8, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
And you got Exynos?

Yes - What the lesson here is to buy last years flagship and see if it's sufficient haha.
Yes I have the Exynos. In the past year I've had the s21u, P6P and Zfold 3. Best performing was the Zfold3 then s21u then P6P(which to me performs similar to the S22u). Sometimes the S22u performs great but then everything goes to sh** and you get frame drops and lag.

Reactions: TheAd0

AmazDev

Sep 23, 2018
Taranto
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Yes I have the Exynos. In the past year I've had the s21u, P6P and Zfold 3. Best performing was the Zfold3 then s21u then P6P(which to me performs similar to the S22u). Sometimes the S22u performs great but then everything goes to sh** and you get frame drops and lag.
For example, I'm not getting any problems with my Snapdragon version (US U1) some micro lags occurs but very rarely and they're nothing dramatic, overall the phone is always smooth and fast

Comical that I cannot have Samsung Browser open, as well as YouTube and WhatsApp without Samsung Browser refreshing the page, 3 apps open and the RAM gets anxiety, absolutely ridiculous, people with talk about updates, optimisation, Android 12 etc. fact of the matter is, I didn't buy a £1,200 phone to be a beta tester, very disappointed with Samsung.

Darbar1701

Nov 25, 2016
Comical that I cannot have Samsung Browser open, as well as YouTube and WhatsApp without Samsung Browser refreshing the page, 3 apps open and the RAM gets anxiety, absolutely ridiculous, people with talk about updates, optimisation, Android 12 etc. fact of the matter is, I didn't buy a £1,200 phone to be a beta tester, very disappointed with Samsung.
Is it just me or can you only keep one app open in the background at a time, the opinion is greyed out when I've one open

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220521-103325_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20220521-103325_One UI Home.jpg
    778.1 KB · Views: 149

varcor

Jul 15, 2017
San Diego
Samsung Galaxy S10+
OneUI 4/4.1 doesn't integrate well with Android 12, never has and likely never will, both platforms are flawed. If the GPU isn't optimized this only compounds the problems. Some apps function well and some don't, get used to it. OneUI 3.1 is Samsung's best overall skin, everything before and after it has been plagued with conflicts.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
This video at the end shows the N10+ eating a S22U alive. wtf? Even when the N10+ was slower before the rams got loaded it was in milliseconds. The N9 is noticeably slower than both these phones, sometimes by seconds when opening apps.
Samsung just keeps dropping the ball. Nothing since the N10+ has it's eloquent form factor, and overall usability/functionality. Samsung gave me no option other than to buy a second N10+.

After 3 more flagship releases Samsung just keeps choking.
Spen on right side, instead of lame excuses.
Expandable memory mandatory.
Keep the thickness and weight down.
No cam humps ever again.
What's your name? NOTE!

*Be nice to see the firmware loaded on each.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheInfiniteAndroid

Venom0642

Recognized Contributor
This video at the end shows the N10+ eating a S22U alive. wtf? Even when the N10+ was slower before the rams got loaded it was in milliseconds. The N9 is noticeably slower than both these phones, sometimes by seconds when opening apps.
Samsung just keeps dropping the ball. Nothing since the N10+ has it's eloquent form factor, and overall usability/functionality. Samsung gave me no option other than to buy a second N10+.

After 3 more flagship releases Samsung just keeps choking.
Spend on right side, instead of lame excuses.
Expandable memory mandatory.
Keep the thickness and weight down.
No cam humps ever again.
What's your name? NOTE!

*Be nice to see the firmware loaded on each.
Don't believe everything you see in youtube most of it is fake like that video.

Venom0642

Recognized Contributor
Don't believe everything you see in youtube most of it is fake like that video.
Also i have a AT&T Note10 Plus Snapdragon and my AT&T S22 Ultra 5G Snapdragon 512GB kicks its ass , it out performance it, Now if is a S22 Ultra 5G Exynos against a Note10 Plus Snapdragon yes i will believe it will out perform the Exynos S22 Ultra 5G

Top Liked Posts