S4 Mini Battery life

Search This thread

dagobert2000

Apr 19, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a
Battery drops from 23% to 0% within 2 minutes

Hi guys,

Since a few weeks my Samsung S4 mini phone has a huge battery drain (sry, i can't post external links here). Last evening I looked at the screen and saw the battery status decrementing every few seconds. In 2 minutes it fell from 23% to 0%!
The rapid change always starts at about 25%.

Recently i also bought a new battery because i thought that it's damaged. But unfortunately the phone shows the same effect with the new battery ;-(

Any suggestions what I can try?
thanks a lot
dd
PS: I was running latest stable Cyanogenmod - a few days ago I switched to cm12 nightly to try if it gets better, but in case of battery drain nothing changed.

Last edited:

thethakuri

Sep 12, 2014
My 2 cents on S4-mini (i9192) battery life

I might have jumped a little too late on this bandwagon but I thought I should put in my two cents fo advice anyways. I know that people are experiencing battery drain issues with S4mini (bought before 2014), mainly due to the faulty board. However, I recently bought mine (i9192 -Dual Sim) and wasn't experiencing extraordinary drain. However, I was still having about 1.8%/hr drain overnight with everything off. I know that this is not much but its not normal either. What I figured was that one of my cell radio wasn't full bar (i.e. it might be looking for better signal all night long). Upon close inspection, I found out that the mobile network for this particular SIM was set to choose between WCDMA/GSM by default. WCDMA is used for 3g while GSM for 2g. Where I live, the signal for WCDMA is not too strong so the phone kept on looking for stronger signal. Once I turned the options for both the SIMs to GSM only, I get about 0.7-0.8% drain per hour. It is still a lot compared to my iPhone 4(which would last me almost a week), but with dual sims and all, I don't think I can complain.

czary01

Apr 29, 2015
s4

the friends I have on my phone too as the s4 mini excessive warming may cause problems there. does your job when charging the phone in General.

honeyx

Dec 30, 2011
Just take look guys,
if your phone is made in china u must have battery drain problem,noway to dont have.
if made in korea or vietnam; u r the lucky person who is have no battery drain prob .
i've got chance to test chinese and vietnam ones at the same time
so far vietnam one is superior than chinese (3 times slower drain unBelieveable
so if u have china one unfortunately sell it ,throw away or burn it :)
cause nothing gona sort your problem out :(
just buy vitnam or korean (made in ) s4 mini this is the real solution for s4 mini lovers
dont west your time with karnel , rom ex.. bla bla u will never Get Satisfaction by this ways .
Believe me or not :) just telling you...
by the way
im not korean or chinese lol :)
THATS ALL

This is not true. Mine has a battery dain of about 1-2% per hour with Wifi and mobile data on at home.
This is all more depending to which signal strenght you have. Which version of google Play Services is installed and what else apps are keeping your device active.

By using Greenify, Disable Services (or better My Android Tools) and Amplify you can reduce the wakelocks caused by the Play services and other apps and increase the battery life dramatically. Plus a good signal strenght and you can get below 1% battery drain per hour. This with an active internet connection either by using Wifi or mobile.

Without using internet the battery can even last for almost one week in standby at a single charge when configured well by getting rid of all that unnecessary wakelocks.
It´s not the device. It´s Google with it´s Play services, the quality of your signal strenght and last but not least you by installing crappy apps that keep the device active.

Last edited:

john-soda

Nov 3, 2014
Stuttgart
Just take look guys,
if your phone is made in china u must have battery drain problem,noway to dont have.
if made in korea or vietnam; u r the lucky person who is have no battery drain prob .
THATS ALL

How can I find out where my phone is made? When I open my one I can see only "made by Samsung". Nothing else.
And how big are the chances to get a chinese model if I buy one on Amazon Germany?

sasank360

Feb 27, 2012
Hyderabad
How can I find out where my phone is made? When I open my one I can see only "made by Samsung". Nothing else.
And how big are the chances to get a chinese model if I buy one on Amazon Germany?

Open back panel and battery. On the sticker that has IMEI number, there is a line that says "" MADE IN CHINA BY SAMSUNG ""
It can be china/korea/vietnam. My phone is made in china. However my cousin bought it in England. So it is likely that china made
s4 mini units are available in Europe. My device is LTE model I9195.

Reactions: RuffBuster

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
Open back panel and battery. On the sticker that has IMEI number, there is a line that says "" MADE IN CHINA BY SAMSUNG ""
It can be china/korea/vietnam. My phone is made in china. However my cousin bought it in England. So it is likely that china made
s4 mini units are available in Europe. My device is LTE model I9195.

Mine doesn't say "made in" on the inside of the phone. Just yateley, UK. I bought the phone less than a month ago in the UK. Battery says vietnam. Think the build date on battery is of march this year.

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
Mine doesn't say "made in" on the inside of the phone. Just yateley, UK. I bought the phone less than a month ago in the UK. Battery says vietnam. Think the build date on battery is of march this year.

I couldn't find the location of manufacture of my phone anywhere on the phone itself or on the box but I found an app which tells me when my phone was made. where it was made and a whole lot of other information about its build. people may already know about this app but for those who don't I'm using the app showing in the pictures attached. And for me great news my phone was made in Vietnam this year and has been running great since purchase which has made me a lot more confident to break my Knox and maybe install a custom ROM maybe...

Hope this helps anyone else wondering about their own phone.

Be aware though information may not be as accurate if using a custom ROM. best to use a stock ROM with this app but may work fine on custom ROMs I haven't tried yet...

Attachments

• 1433605652486.jpg
    1433605652486.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 360
  • 1433605668552.jpg
    1433605668552.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:

sipuliosmo

Jun 25, 2015
This solved my battery drain!

Hello everyone, thanks for good tips regarding s4 mini's battery life!

Unfortunately most tips didn't work for my phone, and I tried almost all the battery saving apps, which I found to be BS(just like the cleaners etc.). I've also tried these things:
- aeroplane mode
- new battery
- greenify
-remove the memory card
- took the phone to service
- resetting the phone
- CWM
- Lollipop

My problem was the stand by/idle battery drain, about 4-5%/h. When I rebooted my i9195, the drain was away for few hours but always came back. I've been very frustrated with this problem. But then, once again I got so annoyed decided to change the OS to the CM11. Everything was fine for couple of weeks and I was very pleased with the battery life! Then the drain started again, I was like WTF. Fortunately the CM11 has large scale of privacy/security settings, where I found out that the google's play store was the triggering software. I guess that Gplay store has always been the buggy software, just didn't have right software to find it. From privacy settings I was able to deny some rights from the app, that did the trick.

Now I have only one problem, the battery is always empty because I forget to charge it:cowboy:

EDIT: From the battery graph one can see, that now the drain is below 2%/h, which is a miracle for me!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-25-19-36-48.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-25-19-36-48.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 834
  • Screenshot_2015-06-25-19-32-24.png
    Screenshot_2015-06-25-19-32-24.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 835
  • Screenshot_2015-06-25-19-32-54.png
    Screenshot_2015-06-25-19-32-54.png
    243.3 KB · Views: 831
Last edited:
Reactions: RuffBuster

monitorer

Aug 23, 2015
I have the same issue of the battery draining a lot when idle with nothing running and all wifi/3g/gps off.
I'm still testing whether restarting after charging works as a workaround...

Did replacing the motherboard or some part of it fix the issue for anyone? (If you sent it to Samsung and requested that.)

I found out that the previous owner sent it to Samsung because of these issues, but they only replaced the battery.

twizar

Sep 26, 2015
I never experienced the extreme battery drain that some of you have, but the battery life also went down a lot over the last two years of use on my phone.
But instead of replacing the phone or the battery with a new standard one, I bought a Zerolemon 5100mAh battery and from 3 hours of screen on time with the original battery, I get now 8 hours and 2 to 3 days of heavy use, instead of 1 day.
If you want more informations about it, I made a youtube video: "Zerolemon 5100mAh Extended Battery for Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini - unboxing and first impressions"
Feel free to ask anything about it in the video comments section.

amanam

Jan 24, 2019
Hi everybody
I know this threat is a little bit outdated, but maybe someone comes around...
Now I am a owner of that s4 mini phone and quite happy. The battery drainage is usually 3% per night with wifi and some push services. As many people wrote in this threat,it sometimes changes to 20% per night even in aeroplane mode until restart which resolves the problem temporally.
But different from what people wrote here, not the full charging to 100% seems to trigger the problem, I tested it twice, the drainage after it was fine.
1: Are there any experiences what else could trigger this switch in drainage because I have no idea and cannot induce it?

And about the solution with the new kernel:
2: My phone ist Kitkat 4.4.2, the custom kernel solutions here always referred to 4.2.2 I think, any experiences with 4.4.2 and which kernel to use?
3: Is it really possible to flash the kernel without root?
4: How can I flash back the stock kernel If there are problems with the custom one?
Any help really appreciated..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all fellow forum members! It was about time to retire my old Galaxy S2, and i decided to buy a S4 Mini. About the same size, better specs and everything. But i dont like the battery life at all. I dont think its normal for my battery to discharge 20% over 8 hours at night. Does anyone have the same problem? I have been trying different approaches. I installed Snapdragon BatteryGuru, put the phone on power saving mode all the time, even switched 3G off, although without 3G there seems to be an improvement, but I'll let you know how's that going. So my concern is that i might have a faulty device.. or software.. idk.. when i had crazy discharge syndrome on my S2 i just changed the kernel and/or the ROM. Any advice or opinions on the battery life of the S4 mini will be welcomed and appreciated!
    I never experienced the extreme battery drain that some of you have, but the battery life also went down a lot over the last two years of use on my phone.
    But instead of replacing the phone or the battery with a new standard one, I bought a Zerolemon 5100mAh battery and from 3 hours of screen on time with the original battery, I get now 8 hours and 2 to 3 days of heavy use, instead of 1 day.
    If you want more informations about it, I made a youtube video: "Zerolemon 5100mAh Extended Battery for Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini - unboxing and first impressions"
    Feel free to ask anything about it in the video comments section.
    Are you guys crazy ? Samsung is selling faulty phones. The high drain battery indicates a hardware problem. Stop using unofficial kernels/ROMs and underclocking. You're not supposed to do that for your phone to work normally. I heard that the mainboards are faulty and it will be exchanged if you have warranty. (Sometimes could be only the battery like the bigger S4)

Peoples are stupid and Samsung is selling huge amounts of bad phones, and instead of removing the phones from the market, they solve the problem only to the smart peoples that knows about this.

So stop searching for unofficial fixes and make some noise, attack Samsung/services/stores/customer support, with the battery problem. Samsung has to fix your phone hardware or software depending on the problem. Don't be stupid, you paid for something that's not working properly and if you don't take action, Samsung is keep selling bad phones. (because you keep buying their ****ty phones without complaining)

I wanted an S4 Mini, but I will have to wait to catch one built in 2014 and hopefully without problems.

If with with unofficial software the faulty phone can have a better battery life, then with a good phone the battery life would be probably amazing.

U are right :)
    Both patches fix Battery drain
    I compiled stock MK4 Kernel from GT-I9192_JB_Opensource_Update1.zip with those 2 patches applied and fixed drain :)
    Btw if anyone wants to try here is the kernel for GT-I9192 I9192-Custom-Kernel-Silviu-26122013.tar
    - Compiled with Linaro 4.6.4
    - MK5 ramdisk ( SeLinux Permisive , insecure status )
    - Battery drain patches included signed by Venkat Devarasetty <vdevaras@codeaurora.org>
    - Ondemand Cpu governor as default vs stock is Performance
    - No-Op I/O Scheduler as default stock is CFQ
    - CONFIG_RCU_FAST_NO_HZ=y
    - No root, no drivers changing ( U keep your Wifi MAC )
    - No Overclock/Undeclock/Bln . As close to stock as posible
    Install it only if u don`t have Knox bootloader active it will trigger Knox warranty otherwise and u will get 0x1
    Have fun :)
    Extract and flash with Odin *.md5 file

L.E. New version with ML1 Ramdisk I9192-Custom-Kernel-Silviu-31122013.tar

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2592308
    Solved problem with drainage.

Hello!
    I have solved my problem with battery drainage ( 2-3% per hour, ~20-25% per night ). Like it was mentioned before, it is hardware issue and can be solved by changing mainboard of the phone. I went to Samsung support in my city, and gave them my phone - after one week they gave back me my phone with new mainboard inside and drainage now is ~2-4% per night on stock kernel with stock Android 4.2.2. I'm using my phone after repairing during 5 days, will see further.
    What I can advice to someone who has this problem with battery - just use your warranty if u have one or use custom kernel with drainage patch.
    Peace.