• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

S4 reboot problem

Search This thread

Cottee55

Apr 26, 2013
Hi I received my s4 today but as soon as the screen goes black from none use it just reboots, if I use it its fine but as soon as I put it down for 30 seconds and the screen goes black it reboots. Is it a setting I'm missing or a faulty phone, sorry for the noob question but I'm along time apple user thanks for any help.

Aou

Aug 4, 2008
Arizona
At first glance, it sounds like a defective phone that should be returned promptly. However, we should make sure that you are sure you're doing things right. You're not holding the power button down at all, correct? (just pressing it?) And you're saying that after it sleeps, it simply reboots, or it reboots when you try to wake it up?

First try messing with the screen timeout/sleep settings.. I think the default is 2 minutes anyway, so I don't see why it would reset after 30sec.

Next, the battery is charged, right?

Next, try pulling the battery and putting it back in.

Next, try a data format / factory reset. If you return the phone, you'll be forced to do this anyway, so it's worth a shot.

After that, you've got me. Anyone else?

Cottee55

Apr 26, 2013
At first glance, it sounds like a defective phone that should be returned promptly. However, we should make sure that you are sure you're doing things right. You're not holding the power button down at all, correct? (just pressing it?) And you're saying that after it sleeps, it simply reboots, or it reboots when you try to wake it up?

First try messing with the screen timeout/sleep settings.. I think the default is 2 minutes anyway, so I don't see why it would reset after 30sec.

Next, the battery is charged, right?

Next, try pulling the battery and putting it back in.

Next, try a data format / factory reset. If you return the phone, you'll be forced to do this anyway, so it's worth a shot.

After that, you've got me. Anyone else?

Thanks I have tried all the above but it's still the same, I've had to phone for a replacement but due to limited stock I've got to wait three weeks. Is there any way I can download the original firmware and reflash it.

Mike

Jun 20, 2012
Thanks I have tried all the above but it's still the same, I've had to phone for a replacement but due to limited stock I've got to wait three weeks. Is there any way I can download the original firmware and reflash it.

There are no stock images as of yet, so you are not able to do this currently

-------------------------------------------------
Sent from my Skyrocket i727 running Slim Bean
-----------Nexus 7 running AOKP M1-----------

Cottee55

Apr 26, 2013
There are no stock images as of yet, so you are not able to do this currently

Thanks for that the weird thing is I can use the phone for hours with no reboot problems, but as soon as I stop using it, it will turn itself off and reboot.

Mike

Jun 20, 2012
Thanks for that the weird thing is I can use the phone for hours with no reboot problems, but as soon as I stop using it, it will turn itself off and reboot.

Yeah, that doesn't sound good and certainly isn't the user experience you are looking for in a brand new flagship phone you dropped a pretty penny on. You could try bringing it into the retail store purchased and see if they can do a swap there. If there are more in stock it shouldn't be an issue. I assume you had it pre-ordered online

norbarb

Account currently disabled
Dec 22, 2011
When I try to use kies in your above post I get this message 'GT-I9505 does not support initialising, and when I look at my firmware information it says your devices current firmware version is not supported to update firmware via kies.

So i think samsung did not update database yet...Thanks for info.

Loskeulos

Nov 6, 2007
Hi. Since 27th i have the same problem. The phone reboots sporadic. After factoryreset everything ok but tonight the same problem occured again.
Any solution? :(

Thanks!

hamzer11

Dec 5, 2010
Hi. Since 27th i have the same problem. The phone reboots sporadic. After factoryreset everything ok but tonight the same problem occured again.
Any solution? :(

Thanks!

If you are not rooted then I would first look at what you may have installed since you got the phone. If you have not installed anything, have not rooted, have not frozen any apps, etc. then I would get in line for a replacement asap.

cristy78

Jan 15, 2013
Dubai
Hi there mates. Same issue with my wife S4 mini. It is i9190, not rooted. It is very ok but from time to time is powering off by itself.
Don't know what to do to solve this one.... any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did you try to refresh software tru samsung kies??? Look at link in my signature.

When I try to use kies in your above post I get this message 'GT-I9505 does not support initialising, and when I look at my firmware information it says your devices current firmware version is not supported to update firmware via kies.