S4 Screen cracked in front jeans pocket! Galaxy S4 is very weak!

Search This thread

HC4Life

Nov 16, 2007
Hardcore
As some may or may not know, I sent my S4 to the Samsung Plano TX facility to have the AMOLED defect fixed. The Samsung ASC Service Repair Statement
said under the Repair Summary...."Symptom: PARTICLES BETWEEN LENS AND LCD." How did particles get between the lens and lcd?
They were going to charge me $200 to have it fixed but, eventually sent the phone back to me for no-payment.
This is what it looked like when I got it back. Guess Samsung decided to play rugby with it. :mad:

What a f**k??? This is very wrong. Samsung will not get satisfaction from the buyers acting that way. I saw many people unsatisfied lately.
What is happening? Sorry bro for what happened to u. :(

AndyFox2011

Sep 20, 2011
As some may or may not know, I sent my S4 to the Samsung Plano TX facility to have the AMOLED defect fixed. The Samsung ASC Service Repair Statement
said under the Repair Summary...."Symptom: PARTICLES BETWEEN LENS AND LCD." How did particles get between the lens and lcd?
They were going to charge me $200 to have it fixed but, eventually sent the phone back to me for no-payment.
This is what it looked like when I got it back. Guess Samsung decided to play rugby with it. :mad:

That is pretty shocking :( I buy samsung cause of HTCs lack of sd card slot but now after seeing all this stuff about samsungs customer service and how it treats it's customers I may end up back with HTC

I'm very sorry for you to receive your phone back in such a state, after the screen cracking for no apparent reason :(

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

streetw1se

Mar 6, 2012
Mumbai
Just came across this thread so thought i'd share my experience with my S4 as well. I upgraded from my awesome S2 to the S4 in May as soon as it released here in India, and ordered an Otterbox Commuter Case right away to protect the expensive phone. Everything was well and good till around mid June, when suddenly one evening, a vertical pink line showed up almost in the middle of the screen (a bit to the right). I was so disappointed and shocked as i hadn't dropped or bumped my phone anywhere!
Now the good stuff. I went to the Samsung Service Center the very next day in the morning, spoke to one of the guys there and he checked my phone for any kinda physical damage but was shocked not to find any. He then spoke to someone else inside, came back out and told me that usually they charge around 120$ for a screen replacement but since it doesn't look like any damage has been caused by me they'd replace it for free! It took them around 4-5 hours and i got my phone looking brand new again! Not had any kinda issue ever since; no overheating, random reboots, etc. Guess i've been lucky! :)

Reactions: ranger4740

Takedaz

Aug 12, 2013
Just came across this thread so thought i'd share my experience with my S4 as well. I upgraded from my awesome S2 to the S4 in May as soon as it released here in India, and ordered an Otterbox Commuter Case right away to protect the expensive phone. Everything was well and good till around mid June, when suddenly one evening, a vertical pink line showed up almost in the middle of the screen (a bit to the right). I was so disappointed and shocked as i hadn't dropped or bumped my phone anywhere!
Now the good stuff. I went to the Samsung Service Center the very next day in the morning, spoke to one of the guys there and he checked my phone for any kinda physical damage but was shocked not to find any. He then spoke to someone else inside, came back out and told me that usually they charge around 120$ for a screen replacement but since it doesn't look like any damage has been caused by me they'd replace it for free! It took them around 4-5 hours and i got my phone looking brand new again! Not had any kinda issue ever since; no overheating, random reboots, etc. Guess i've been lucky! :)

wow that was nice from Samsung, for free. gratz :D

narse

Dec 29, 2009
Had seen this thread for ages and never really read it, but surprised that it seemed to be updated fequently. Initially I thought it was just going to be a flame war between people who didn't own S4s slagging off Samsung's build quality; and people who did own them defending them.

Then one morning I pressed the power button to wake up my phone and there was what looks like corrupted pixels at the top of the screen. Hadn't dropped the phone, it hadn't got hot, the screen just broke. I have since found that the glass screen is intact, but the screen underneath has some cracks starting from around the camera.

I am now glad that this thread has been there for the past couple of months as otherwise I would be worried it was my fault somehow. I am taking my phone back to the shop tomorrow and will refer to this thread and that other people are having the same problem. I will post how I get on.

My phone was rooted and had a custom Touchwiz rom installed. I managed to put the phone into "download mode" and installed one of the original stock rom images from DjeMBeY's thread through Odin. I just hope that they fix the screen for free; don't complain that the phone had been rooted; and don't upgrade the Rom to a Knox version. Let's see how I get on.

AUHHZUMA

Sep 14, 2013
PLEASE POST A PIC! If it's not to late.

Had seen this thread for ages and never really read it, but surprised that it seemed to be updated fequently. Initially I thought it was just going to be a flame war between people who didn't own S4s slagging off Samsung's build quality; and people who did own them defending them.

Then one morning I pressed the power button to wake up my phone and there was what looks like corrupted pixels at the top of the screen. Hadn't dropped the phone, it hadn't got hot, the screen just broke. I have since found that the glass screen is intact, but the screen underneath has some cracks starting from around the camera.

I am now glad that this thread has been there for the past couple of months as otherwise I would be worried it was my fault somehow. I am taking my phone back to the shop tomorrow and will refer to this thread and that other people are having the same problem. I will post how I get on.

My phone was rooted and had a custom Touchwiz rom installed. I managed to put the phone into "download mode" and installed one of the original stock rom images from DjeMBeY's thread through Odin. I just hope that they fix the screen for free; don't complain that the phone had been rooted; and don't upgrade the Rom to a Knox version. Let's see how I get on.

rl421403

Oct 29, 2012
Jaipur
play.google.com
wow that was nice from Samsung, for free. gratz :D

Actually, in India Samsung sold S4 with 1 time free screen replacement warranty.

Check offers at bottom of the page on this link.
https://www.samsungindiamarketing.com/galaxys4/home.aspx

Also in terms
12. For a period of one (1) year from purchase of the Product, the Customer is also entitled to avail Screen Replacement Plan, which can be availed by visiting Samsung Service Center. Replacement of damaged screen, subject to payment of INR 500 as handling charges payable at the time of replacement to the Service Center shall be available. This Benefit is available only to the broken screen and the Customer must visit the Service Center to avail this Benefit. A screen with a broken glass will be considered as a damaged screen. Screen with scratches will not be considered as damaged screen.

Last edited:

narse

Dec 29, 2009
PLEASE POST A PIC! If it's not to late.

Sorry too late. It looked almost identical to the first picture in the first post of this thread. The crack is in the top right and the first few lines of pixels just showed rubbish from the left to the crack and then black for the rest of the screen.

maniaknl

Dec 2, 2011
Wow, is there anyway to protect the phone from these kind of damages? Would hate to see mine brake aswell. However i have it for a few month's now and it seems to be fine.

streetw1se

Mar 6, 2012
Mumbai
Actually, in India Samsung sold S4 with 1 time free screen replacement warranty.

Yep, but I bought my phone before Samsung came out with that offer, so it was just a good gesture on the part of that service center guy (didn't even charge me Rs.500 for handling) I was sorta disappointed that i couldn't avail the offer though since i didn't get the free s-view cover and stuff lol, but oh well!

Last edited:

shaneveeg

Sep 16, 2013
BBB Complaint Filed and Responded to

Last week after getting my phone back from Samsung unrepaired, I filed a complaint with the BBB. Essentially it said the phone is broken internally. I didn't abuse it. Samsung won't repair it under warranty.

I asked to be able to return the broken phone for a full refund of what I paid, and to be able to use the credit to get a different phone instead as if I never had this S4.

BBB sent the complaint to Verizon as they seem to put all mobile phone complaints to the service provider instead of the manufacturer.

Verizon had a rep call me and she took 15 minutes to essentially explain to me that it's not in their list of "Known Issues" and if Samsung says it's non-covered damage, then that is Verizon's conclusion as well. She offered absolutely nothing other than an explanation of how phones can be broken by pressure and she always uses a case on her phone.

It seemed that her job was to make sure the Verizon reps earlier followed procedure and if so, just to calm down the BBB complainer and try to get them to take what they were offered.

I took some video and good pictures of the damage now that I got the phone back. I'll post those later tonight.

Not sure what the next step will be. It's not the $175 repair cost at this point. I don't want this phone anymore. More than that I don't want to give in to unfair treatment. Just being stubborn I suppose.

Ruxton

Jan 18, 2006
Perth
ignite.digitalignition.net
My phone did the exact same thing. Front right pocket all on it's own (I don't wear tight jeans!!), glass facing in, stepped into a car, *CRAAACK*. It's been at the carrier for 4 weeks while we do the "it's your fault, the screen is broken" dance.

It's now sitting at the shop, unfixed and the carrier is telling me I can:
A) Pay the 49.50 for the warranty assesment, pick it up and take it to Samsung
B) Pay the $75 insurance excess and it'll be repaired in a few days.

The problem with A? If Samsung deny it, I'm liable for another $49.50 warranty assessment fee. It's a ****ty situation when it's easier and cheaper to enact an insurance plan to fix something that's seemingly an issue with the phone itself. (We're 98 pages deep with "Me too").e

ohraii

Jul 10, 2011
Las Vegas/Seattle
I've replied when this thread was new, but just recently I've met someone whose phone broke in his pocket! I was out with some friends and noticed everyone had had an iPhone5, so I commented I was the odd one out. A guy I met that night brought up that he had an S4 before, but the internal amoled screen broke in his pocket when he was out one day with his family. I automatically thought of this thread and mentioned it! Haha. He had no idea what I was talking about, just said he went in the next time to get an iPhone.

Still sucks to hear it happens. I hope everyone with the problem somehow fixes it out!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

henrik.dk

Jun 20, 2008
Continue man. ...
Last week after getting my phone back from Samsung unrepaired, I filed a complaint with the BBB. Essentially it said the phone is broken internally. I didn't abuse it. Samsung won't repair it under warranty.

I asked to be able to return the broken phone for a full refund of what I paid, and to be able to use the credit to get a different phone instead as if I never had this S4.

BBB sent the complaint to Verizon as they seem to put all mobile phone complaints to the service provider instead of the manufacturer.

Verizon had a rep call me and she took 15 minutes to essentially explain to me that it's not in their list of "Known Issues" and if Samsung says it's non-covered damage, then that is Verizon's conclusion as well. She offered absolutely nothing other than an explanation of how phones can be broken by pressure and she always uses a case on her phone.

It seemed that her job was to make sure the Verizon reps earlier followed procedure and if so, just to calm down the BBB complainer and try to get them to take what they were offered.

I took some video and good pictures of the damage now that I got the phone back. I'll post those later tonight.

Not sure what the next step will be. It's not the $175 repair cost at this point. I don't want this phone anymore. More than that I don't want to give in to unfair treatment. Just being stubborn I suppose.

xykosomatik

Jun 22, 2006
Davao City
hmmm... had my s4 for 5 months now. within 1 week of getting the unit i bought an imitation Otterbox Defender since the official store still doesn't have its s4 stocks, and i thought better some protection than no protection at all. Guess what, i'm still using that fake Defender, and so far i average a fall at a minimum of hip level per day. the screen is still intact. but almost all complaints here seems to stem from their screens breaking when the s4 is inside the pocket, so maybe it is the flexing or twisting of the phone which causes the screen to break. probably since the phone is too thin and made of plastic for the frame to have enough rigidity to prevent the screen from being flexed beyond its limit.

so the solution? get any case with a plastic/rigid frame. just my .02

cordell12

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 22, 2010
Dayton, TX
Just want to chime in with my exp with Sprints GS4 version, SPH-L720KASPR.

I have had the device since May, a screen protector has been on from day one as well. Two days ago I went to swap my screen protector out, it was getting a bit grungy. As soon as I removed the screen protector I got a call and had to leave right away, no time to put the new protector on. The very next day I went to work, phone was naked in my front pocket, still havent put the new protector on. Once at work I pulled the phone out to check for notifications and what not when I noticed - CRACK! The crack starts at the top, left of the speaker, and runs all the way down to the "home button" :(

I havent called sammy, did some Ebay searches to find glass only (digitizer is fine) but the process looks scary. I will surely have bubbles or trash when glueing the new glass...

Last edited:

henrik.dk

Jun 20, 2008
For those who might be interested. Samsung has to admit product defect after media reported it.
Also in China, broken galaxy note 3 screen will be replaced free of charge during the first 3 month.
This might indicate Samsung screen defect. To me, it could be the below two reason samsung provide
such service:
Chinese may not buy due to screen cracking problem as it is a huge expense compared to their income.
Samsung will get more heated discussion when Chinese caught by self-cracking screen. They will fight
so long as they think it is not their fault.

I believe some of the guys in this thread were paid by samsung.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/24/taiwan-fines-samsung-for-astroturfing-internet-comments/

Samsung extends warranties of failing Galaxy devices after Chinese TV report Mobile
By Jamie Rigg posted Oct 24th, 2013 at 6:39 AM 0
Samsung extends warranties of failing Galaxy devices after Chinese TV

Chinese state media is becoming quite the consumer advocate. Earlier this week, a bit on national TV berated Samsung over certain Galaxy S3 and Note II handsets afflicted with the "sudden death" bug, as it has been called. While a firmware fix promised to cure some devices, the root cause appeared to be due to a dodgy flash memory module, leaving some models without hope of a true elixir. In response to the public scolding, Samsung has issued a statement thanking the broadcaster for its report, also noting that its repair and refund policies are in full compliance with Chinese laws. The company offers anyone that's paid for a repair while under warranty to hit them up for a refund, and has now extended the warranty of any potentially affected device made before November 30th 2012 for an extra 12 months.

Earlier this year, Apple ended up massaging its warranty practices after the People's Daily proposed local coverage wasn't as robust as elsewhere. While Samsung was under scrutiny this time, it's clear both companies are keen on managing public perception. After all, attractive hardware ain't the only thing that'll make you successful in the world's biggest smartphone market.

Reactions: AUHHZUMA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    One more guy who doesn't take care his phone, "Oh my god, my phone just broke, I did nothing, It broke itself. samsung suuuuucks, I will go HTC one!!!"

Of course. Always samsung build quality, always the manufacturer fault.

As you see the glass didnt break... so it is definitly a thing to worry about...
    I have been so careful with my S4, never dropped it. Looking after it. Today I put my phone in my front jeans pocket like always. Got in the car and after a 5 minute drive got out and the screen is showing funny colors and its cracked ;(

I have had many phones in this front jeans pocket (They all lived) and somehow a slight bend has done this. Very weak, if you ask me we are going to see a lot of this as it seems the phone is not the strongest at all. Time for a unibody HTC I think. I've had it with Samsung's plastic crap. :(

My phone will be up on ebay if anyone wants an i9500 for spares.

Edit: The gorilla glass is fine, its the amloed behind that cracked.
    you must of sat on it or something because mine is always in my front pocket (screen facing my leg) and no problem..

One more guy who doesn't take care his phone, "Oh my god, my phone just broke, I did nothing, It broke itself. samsung suuuuucks, I will go HTC one!!!"

Of course. Always samsung build quality, always the manufacturer fault.
    I know "fit for purpose" is big in the UK. Where's the definition of "fit for purpose" as it comes to the durability of a device with components we all know can be damaged to varying degrees? Saying the SGS4 shouldn’t crack when other phones haven’t is totally subjective and each scenario is unique. Because the SGS4 doesn't do as well in trouser pockets as other phones doesn't mean it's "unfit," it just means its less durable being pocketed (subjected to stress). You can claim to a watch dog that the SGS4 shouldn't crack when it does but with no "standard" to measure it against and so many ways for any phone display to be cracked it's going to be awfully difficult proving it's not fit for purpose.

It's really very simple, and the geographical location is a compete irrelevance as we're discussing what should be common sense here. The Galaxy S4 is a mobile device, and it should be possible to take certain things for granted as a result. So unless you're suggesting it be kept in a teflon box attached to a belt clip, having the display on a disproportionate amount of devices break under the everyday, standard duress other phones appear more than capable of dealing with (including previous generations of devices by Samsung themselves) is completely unacceptable.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app
    1. Hendrickson (OP)
    2. raidenuk
    3. beatmag (discoloration)
    4. jdashford
    5. scriptx
    6. pitapart
    7. murrowxda (AT&T)
    8. Shadowcash ("friend's broke")
    9. greenandroid.sb
    10. _Supernaut
    11. zoroko
    12. blader0109
    13. nevillejb75
    14. Ace 272
    15. epsilon8888
    16. SSTaLoN
    17. kuribo67
    18. danniibxn
    19. Toshanda (screen died)
    20. minipcpro (YouTube video)
    21. saspi
    22. saspi (broke again after repair [drop])
    23. mmessina
    24. AMDERS17 (AT&T)
    25. SAShady (Sprint)
    26. ostrow30
    27. Trax_
    28. LadyDiana0265
    29. XsonicX
    30. Gash128
    31. TeeeJaay ("friend" - GG3 cracked, not AMOLED)
    32. rallyfan1986 (GG3 cracked, not AMOLED)

So with 25 pages of discussion, 32 are how many phones have been reported with broken displays in this thread as of June 19th. I was killing time on a plane today and went through this thread to do the count. Here are some things I picked up from the comments:

• The "mystery cracks" all occurred while the phone was in motion (EG: shirt pocket) with lots of comments about "it was fine when I put it in my pocket and broken when I took it out."

• There are more than a dozen posts from people who keep their phone in their pocket (shirt and pants) and various reports of drops and flexing incidents where nothing happened to their phone.

• Only a couple of people reported that GG3 cracked along with the AMOLED panel and that was in "drop" scenarios. The rest all reported just the AMOLED panel broke.
    If there are 5,000 owners in the i9500/i9505 forum, 32 cracked displays equals a 5/10ths of a percent damage rate. 250 cracked displays would be 5%. I think this really is a mountain being made out of a molehill. And I didn't see any posts that said "I put my phone down on a table and it was fine and when I picked it up it was broken." So I question whether phones being carried loosely in pockets may have been exposed to stress or flex that their owners didn't realize. That, or they were previously stressed or flexed and just light jostling from being in a pocket was all it took to do them in. In that vein, it could also have been a manufacturing defect that caused light stress or flex to crack the AMOLED. Regardless, while it sucks for the 5/10ths of a percent affected, it seems a bit premature to declare the SGS4 universally "weak" which is the trend this thread's taken.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone