• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

s6 edge screen cracked

Search This thread

ShannonA

Jul 10, 2012
My 2 week old s6 edge screen has cracked. It has been in the clear view case the whole time, never dropped and today i saw a crack that runs straight from the left hand edge near the bottom all the way to the top in the middle of the phone.

Reactions: Marne Jr

Marne Jr

Apr 15, 2009
My 2 week old s6 edge screen has cracked. It has been in the clear view case the whole time, never dropped and today i saw a crack that runs straight from the left hand edge near the bottom all the way to the top in the middle of the phone.

Sorry for your loss man!

Sent from my SM-G925I using XDA Free mobile app

the Doctor

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 15, 2011
In the TARDIS
It scratches easy yes, but it shouldn't really crack easily.
Cracks in hard materials tend to start and propagate along weak spots, therefore scratched glass cracks much more easily than smooth glass. The whole trick to Gorilla Glass is to produce as smooth a surface as possible, and to harden the surface to make it more resistant to scratching, thus less prone to cracking. So, if it scratches easily, it probably cracks easily too.

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/en/technology/technology-overview

Last edited:

madpete

Cracks in hard materials tend to start and propagate along weak spots, therefore scratched glass cracks much more easily than smooth glass. The whole trick to Gorilla Glass is to produce as smooth a surface as possible, and to harden the surface to make it more resistant to scratching, thus less prone to cracking. So, if it scratches easily, it probably cracks easily too.

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/en/technology/technology-overview

I actually think its the coating on the glass that that scratches rather than the glass itself personally, Corning didn't really make a big deal about scratch proofing with GG4 but more about shatter resistance.

Either way I don't think a light surface scratch (not a deep gouge) should cause a crack, and if it does then I'd expect it to be covered.

Last edited:

the Doctor

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 15, 2011
In the TARDIS
I actually think its the coating on the glass that that scratches rather than the glass itself personally, Corning didn't really make a big deal about scratch proofing with GG4 but more about shatter resistance.
Per the article I linked above, two important features of Corning's manufacturing process are to prevent surface imperfections in manufacturing and hardening the surface of the glass to prevent scratching (a form of surface imperfection) in use. Those two things are what make Gorilla Glass more shatter resistant then traditional glass.
OUTSTANDING SURFACE QUALITY:
Corning’s proprietary fusion process gives Gorilla Glass the same superior surface as all of our high technology display substrates. This extraordinarily precise, highly automated process produces glass with exceptionally clean, smooth, flat surfaces and outstanding optical clarity.

DAMAGE RESISTANCE:
Gorilla Glass is chemically strengthened through an ion-exchange process that creates a deep compression layer ["hardening" in laymen's terms] on the surface of the glass substrate. This layer acts as “armor” to reduce the introduction of flaws.

Either way I don't think a light surface scratch (not a deep gouge) should cause a crack, and if it does then I'd expect it to be covered.
Nearly every piece of glass in your life is cut by intentionally scratching it followed by a light application of force. Here's a video of a man cutting 19mm (3/4") thick glass. The depth of the cut is a tiny fraction of the thickness of the material. You might even think of it as a "light surface scratch," as you say above. And he didn't have to drop it from a height of 6' break it.

My suspicion is that Corning has not yet perfected the manufacturing process for complex shapes, given the number of complaints of scratched and broken displays on the S6 Edge.

Mephizto

May 1, 2015
same here :(

damn.. the same thing happened to me just about 10 minutes ago. The difference is that it happend when the phone was in my own hands and I was peacefully browsing.. all of a sudden I heard a soft cracking sound. mine is also 2 weeks old, it is always in its case and literally there is not even a tiny scratch on it. Front and rear glass is like brand new. Wtf???
Going to pay a visit to the local Samsung service point.. :(

Mephizto

May 1, 2015
Any updates...?

Hi there, any updates on this?
I just recognized this phrase in the starting post: "today i saw a crack that runs straight from the left hand edge near the bottom all the way to the top in the middle of the phone."
Almost exactly like mine! Mine is starting approximately from the middle of the left edge, curving up to the top. Could this be a coincidence? Anyway I brought mine to the local
service point on Monday and no questions or interrogation... I was told that it will be ready within a week or two. Something smells a bit fishy, but let's just hope that this will not
happen to more and more people.

SMHannon4343

May 13, 2015
Same exact thing happened to my screen.

I have the same exact crack in my screen. This HAS to be a design flaw. Samsung and T-Mobile were no help. They told me to shell out the money to get it fixed. I've only has it for 1 month!!!

Mephizto

May 1, 2015
I have the same exact crack in my screen. This HAS to be a design flaw. Samsung and T-Mobile were no help. They told me to shell out the money to get it fixed. I've only has it for 1 month!!!

Hi,

How did it happen? Was it in use, or in a case, pockets or elsewhere at the time it happened?
We should compare our phones' manufacturing place, probably this is no coincidence from now on... I have mine at home, but will check it later today and post it.
Mine is also from T-Mobile... How strange. Can I ask which country are you guys from? I'm from Hungary.
Will get back to this thread when I get back home.

edit: you can use your IMEI number to identify the manufacturing place, there are plenty of places on the web where you can do this.

Last edited:

Mephizto

May 1, 2015
Just checked mine...

If you cannot find a good analyzer online, just check the imei, remove the first SIX digits, note the next two, and you should have 7 digits remaining.
Mine is ike: xxxxxx-06-xxxxxxx - this means that it was manufactured in Hong Kong, China, or Mexico.

Here are the codes:

01 or 10: Finland
(Mobile manufactures in Finland are of the best quality)

00: Original factory made mobile
(Mobiles manufactures in original factory are of best quality)

02 or 20: Emirates
(Mobiles manufactured in Emirates are of Average to good quality)

30 or 03: Korea
(Mobiles manufactured in Korea are of good quality)

04 or 40: China
(Mobiles manufactured in china are average as well as good quality but not as good as 00, 01 or 10)

05 or 50: Brazil, USA or Finland
(Good quality mobiles)

06 or 60: Hong Kong, China or Mexico
(Average quality mobile phones)

08 or 80: Germany
This indicates that your mobile is manufactured in Germany and is of fair quality.

13: Azerbaijan
Mobiles manufactured in this country are of low to medium quality

source: deohill.com

Anyone else? I'm getting really curious...

jdn1979

Nov 22, 2010
Mine cracked too, had mine for 3 days and it cracked from the top right all the way to the bottom left. I have no idea what caused it to happen as it was always handled with care.

Reactions: LyndonJE

cracked_in_1week

May 25, 2015
cracked in a week

My screen just cracked after one week of purchase. I noticed a bubble on the left side of the screen, I touched it and the screen spilt from left to right. Never dropped, in a heavy duty case, with a screen protector. My imei number is 06 according to the post above.
I spoke to Samsung and they said that this is considered damage to to phone and that it would void my warranty, but seeing how it has only been a week they would see what they could do.
When asked if this is a common problem he responded that this was the first call of this nature.. hmm
I'll let you guys know how it turns out for meeting. As for the rest of you, I suggest calling samsung and referring them to this forum.

scstorm16

May 27, 2015
3 week crack

I had the same issue, I have checked other forums and have not seen anything in regards to this besides this thread. I had a case on it from the moment I took it out the packaging. The phone was never mishandled or dropped the case is perfect and always stayed in either my pocket with no other items or on a flat surface. Took the phone out of my pocket after not looking at it for a couple of hours and saw the crack on the right side that extends up and down the entire side and through the exact center of the phone.

At first the phone still functioned normally but now the screen does not work at all. Has anyone else experienced this? I called samsung and verizon and went into the local verizon wireless store and they all told me the normal shpeel about how they don't recognize this as a problem and I needed to pay for the repairs.

Mephizto

May 1, 2015
After 3 weeks of struggling...

Finally. Relief. :)

I contacted Samsung, after T-Mobile's official service told me that I am the one who caused the screen to crack, despite T-mobile's official resolution that the phone has NO signs of any physical damage.
Samsung requested the original documents I have received after the purchase. I have also sent them the photos I made from several angles showing the crack. After a few days they contacted me,
apologized for the inconvenience and offered to replace the damaged screen.

All in all, this ended well. Hope you guys can achieve this soon, I suggest everyone to inquire at Samsung.

ps.: a friend of mine had the same issue with a regular S6 (not the edge version). Considering this and the above posts, something smells fishy...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Pics or it never happened. :D Maybe you were just unaware when it hit something hard or maybe squished in your pocket.
    Just checked mine...

If you cannot find a good analyzer online, just check the imei, remove the first SIX digits, note the next two, and you should have 7 digits remaining.
    Mine is ike: xxxxxx-06-xxxxxxx - this means that it was manufactured in Hong Kong, China, or Mexico.

Here are the codes:

01 or 10: Finland
    (Mobile manufactures in Finland are of the best quality)

00: Original factory made mobile
    (Mobiles manufactures in original factory are of best quality)

02 or 20: Emirates
    (Mobiles manufactured in Emirates are of Average to good quality)

30 or 03: Korea
    (Mobiles manufactured in Korea are of good quality)

04 or 40: China
    (Mobiles manufactured in china are average as well as good quality but not as good as 00, 01 or 10)

05 or 50: Brazil, USA or Finland
    (Good quality mobiles)

06 or 60: Hong Kong, China or Mexico
    (Average quality mobile phones)

08 or 80: Germany
    This indicates that your mobile is manufactured in Germany and is of fair quality.

13: Azerbaijan
    Mobiles manufactured in this country are of low to medium quality

source: deohill.com

Anyone else? I'm getting really curious...
    Mine cracked too, had mine for 3 days and it cracked from the top right all the way to the bottom left. I have no idea what caused it to happen as it was always handled with care.
    cracked in a week

My screen just cracked after one week of purchase. I noticed a bubble on the left side of the screen, I touched it and the screen spilt from left to right. Never dropped, in a heavy duty case, with a screen protector. My imei number is 06 according to the post above.
    I spoke to Samsung and they said that this is considered damage to to phone and that it would void my warranty, but seeing how it has only been a week they would see what they could do.
    When asked if this is a common problem he responded that this was the first call of this nature.. hmm
    I'll let you guys know how it turns out for meeting. As for the rest of you, I suggest calling samsung and referring them to this forum.