S7 and S7 Edge Root

Search This thread

Roan1430

Sep 3, 2016
Can anyone provide a noob friendly link/root process? Just found this and there is soooo much info here

Edit:
All this info is just all over the place...

Last edited:

mcholly7

Apr 1, 2016
I have a question that might lead to some useful information if I can get some feedback. Ok, so I rooted my phone two weeks ago with this guide but didn't disable the security policy updates(need to add that step to this guide fyi) during the week leading up to the 7 day bootloop issue I installed xposed and went ahead and put the Xtether(Moto Tether) module on my phone. Even though it didn't say it was compatible with the S7 I decided to try it anyway. To my surprise it worked perfectly. Everything was working, and I was able to us my Hotspot without being on the hotspot plan, and without just sharing my wifi. Unfortunately one morning last week I woke up and all of my apps were crashing. I didn't know what to do so I restarted my phone. This put me into a bootloop where I was stuck at the AT&T logo. I ended up having to factory reset my phone through secure boot and then leaving my phone off for 15 minutes. I wish I knew about safe mode or flashing the stock firmware at the time but I didn't. Anyways I am back to where I was before minus the Xposed bit. I have flashed the debloater and fixes file, and everything is working wonderfully except I can't find a way to get the hotspot working again without xposed. I don't mind doing it again, as long as I can get some sort of confirmation that this all won't happen again since I disabled the security policy updates. I tried asking on the thread that posted the bit about disabling the security policies, but no one replied. I hope we can figure this out, because I know there are other people wanting to be able to use their hotspot, and this was working flawlessly up to that point. Please help me figure this out for all of our sakes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using XDA-Developers mobile app

tvf_tez_e

Nov 12, 2012
Dear android developers,
As a long time Galaxy S3 and a new S7 (Exynos) user, I'm really wondering what root ways we have for S7 currently. I read lots of topics about Knox-free root solutions for S7, but I can't say that I found anything positive about this subject yet... I want to root my device only for being able to use Titanium Backup. I backed up my app and game datas in my S3, and now I want to restore them in S7. Is it still impossible to do this without tripping this stupid thing called knox?
Regards

peachpuff

Aug 31, 2010
Dear android developers,
As a long time Galaxy S3 and a new S7 (Exynos) user, I'm really wondering what root ways we have for S7 currently. I read lots of topics about Knox-free root solutions for S7, but I can't say that I found anything positive about this subject yet... I want to root my device only for being able to use Titanium Backup. I backed up my app and game datas in my S3, and now I want to restore them in S7. Is it still impossible to do this without tripping this stupid thing called knox?
Regards

Try helium to backup and restore apps with data.

Hansoliv

Jul 12, 2007
Dear android developers,
Regards
Good day.
Recently found that my S7 has a app called Smart Switch.
With that app installed in your S3, you can copy all your data, including app data, from your S3 to your S7, by cable, wifi or SD card.

tvf_tez_e

Nov 12, 2012
Good day.
Recently found that my S7 has a app called Smart Switch.
With that app installed in your S3, you can copy all your data, including app data, from your S3 to your S7, by cable, wifi or SD card.

It sounds great, did you try it already? Does it successfully transfer every app+datas you selected? Does it also backup an app+data in a specific folder like TB does?

Hansoliv

Jul 12, 2007
It sounds great, did you try it already? Does it successfully transfer every app+datas you selected? Does it also backup an app+data in a specific folder like TB does?
Good day.
Sorry, i have been mislead by a post that i've seen in another forum, that said that it was possible to transfer app data, but only between samsung devices.
Yesterday i tried it between my S4 and my S7 and there was no such option.
Well, back to Helium :(

tvf_tez_e

Nov 12, 2012
What if we install the apps into the MicroSD card by default. And then connect the card with PC and backup those appdatas manually? Or any similar way?

Hansoliv

Jul 12, 2007
Good day.
Found where i was mislead to think it was possible to backup app data without root with samsung smart switch.
At the play store, in the description of the app Smart Switch Mobile it says that is possible to backup app data, but only android N.
(What can be transferred?

Here it is.
Contacts, calendar(Device content only), messages, photos, music (DRM free content only, Not supported for iCloud), videos (DRM free content only), call logs, memos, alarms, Wi-Fi, wallpapers, documents, app data (Galaxy devices only), home layouts (Galaxy devices only)
You can send app data and home layouts by upgrading your Galaxy device to M OS (Galaxy S6 or higher).

Spud37

Dec 1, 2011
So I have read that the Note 7 has been Rooted, does that mean that a way has been found to root the Galaxy S7? and even better if they found a way to unlock the bootloader.

tvf_tez_e

Nov 12, 2012
You can send app data and home layouts by upgrading your Galaxy device to M OS (Galaxy S6 or higher).

So I can't transfer my appdatas from S3 to S7, can I? If so, Smart Switch is unfortunately useless for my issue, but thank you so much for the idea anyway.

So I have read that the Note 7 has been Rooted, does that mean that a way has been found to root the Galaxy S7? and even better if they found a way to unlock the bootloader.

There is a way to root S7 but it tripps Knox counter. We're waiting for a Knox-free root option...

Yes, doesn't hurt to try again.

I tried Helium. I can say that 7/10 of my backups were succesful. Helium said that 1/3 of these failed ones can't be backed up since it's a backup-disabled app (!)... Second one's backup is never completed, which means it stuck on "Backing up" process forever, and it can't finish the process anyhow... And the third one was the game called Temple Run 2. Helium said that backup is successful. But when I restore it, I saw that only my ingame stats, collected items and unlocks are retrieved, but my ingame coins and gems were missing. I mean it backed up/restored only 50% of my progress. Weird...

Also, although Helium was able to create backups in sdcard of my rooted S3, it doesn't recognize my sdcard in my non-rooted s7. Do you know a solution for this, please? I don't want to create backup in internal memory, and then move them to sdcard all the time.

peachpuff

Aug 31, 2010
Also, although Helium was able to create backups in sdcard of my rooted S3, it doesn't recognize my sdcard in my non-rooted s7. Do you know a solution for this, please? I don't want to create backup in internal memory, and then move them to sdcard all the time.
I have the same issue, haven't found a solution.

stew1411

Feb 24, 2011
Ardmore
If I have eng boot flashed on my device for root, is it possible to flash the stock kernel without reflashing the entire firmware? I would really rather not have to lose everything.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

tvf_tez_e

Nov 12, 2012
Dear S7 users, do you know any trustable non-root app, that can backup an installed app entirely (except appdatas) with it's obb files etc? I already use Helium for appdata backups, and happy with it atm. But it's not enough to backup an app with it's other extension files.

My problem is, internal memory of S7 is not so much for me, but I don't want to give up on some of my huge games either. So I want to stock their basic files (all files which are required to run it) in my sdcard, and install them back when I want to play them. I don't want to download those huge games again and again all the time, and I don't want to manually move obb files from there to there either. TB is not in the list since it's not usable without root, and Helium is not smart enough to backup obb and other extension files. Do you know any app which is able to serve this purpose?

(It would be even more perfect if there is some kind of an app that can convert the installed app into an apk with it's extention files)

Cheers

tvf_tez_e

Nov 12, 2012
I'm searching continuously, but can't say that I found one yet. Don't anyone of you know such an app, or anything like that really? :confused:

G

GuestX01050

A few questions about root

1. I have a Samsung galaxy s7 SMG930F with the chainfire root method. When I want to update to android 7, can i then still use the same root method for the phone, but which was written for android 6?
2. When I just take the stock firmware , which was not written for any specific phone, can i then use my real home button from Samsung and so on?
3. My phone has very strong security, so that xmodgames and cydia substrate can not work on my phone. Is there anyway to make the security of the phone more weak?
4. Is there any method to hide root without cydia? (because hide my root and rootcloak both use cydia)

Top Liked Posts