S7 Device descriptor request failed

Search This thread

PeterFrostad

Jan 14, 2018
I just bought a used S7 G930W8. Runs fine with stock Oreo 8.0.0.

Now I want to start playing but I can't connect to any of my PC's. I have both Win 10 and Win 7 PC's.

I get 'Device descriptor request failed' no matter what I do.

I've tried all the standard fixes on the PC end such as deleting the driver and restarting as well as installing the official Samsung drivers.

I'm pretty sure I've tried and read all the XDA threads on this topic but perhaps I'm missing something.

Seems to me this is an Android problem since all my PC's exhibit the same problem and yes I've tried several cables and ports. I've reset the phone to stock but still no luck.

Anyone out there have any insights? Especially what could possibly be wrong on the Android end?

Perhaps submitting a log would help? If so, let me know and I can do that.

Thanks for reading.
Peter

PeterFrostad

Jan 14, 2018
Well, I replaced the charging port assembly. Not just the port, I replaced the entire assembly. Nasty job I must say.

But no change in my symptoms. When I plug my phone into my computer I still get the message 'Device descriptor request failed'.

I have no idea where to go from here.

Any help would be appreciated.

xaviergmail

May 30, 2018
Well, I replaced the charging port assembly. Not just the port, I replaced the entire assembly. Nasty job I must say.

But no change in my symptoms. When I plug my phone into my computer I still get the message 'Device descriptor request failed'.

I have no idea where to go from here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi peter, I'm also suffering from the same issue. I also changed the entire charging port + capacitive buttons PCB with no luck. Have you figured it out?

cooltt

Nov 13, 2011
London
Hi peter, I'm also suffering from the same issue. I also changed the entire charging port + capacitive buttons PCB with no luck. Have you figured it out?

The issue isn't with your phone it's your PC.

Go to control panel>hardware and sound>printers and devices>device manager> usb controllers and expand the list
Is there a yellow triangle? Yes? Then you'll need to add a key to the pc registry to skip the Device descriptor check.

Follow the steps bellow in "regedit".

Step 1: Make sure you got Samsung usb drivers installed
Step 2: Open "regedit"
Step 3: Navigate to : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\usbflags
Step 4: Create a new Key called

0BB40FF00100

Step 5: In that Key you create a Binary Value
Name: SkipBOSDescriptorQuery
Value: 01 00 00 00 (ignore the "0000" at the beginning)

Step 6: Close regedit, reconnect the Phone and enjoy your FIX

cooltt

Nov 13, 2011
London
Hi. Thanks for the reply! I've tried this and also restarted my PC, double checked that the keys & values were correct, but unfortunately I still get the same error. :(

Ok, well the key to solving this is to get windows to skip this action and just read/access the phone. This error is rarely a problem with the device itself. If you try a different PC and still get the same error then it IS the device. You'll need to have a good search online to solve it.

As i said even if it is the phone the solution is to get the pc to ignore the "device descriptor request check".

xaviergmail

May 30, 2018
Ok, well the key to solving this is to get windows to skip this action and just read/access the phone. This error is rarely a problem with the device itself. If you try a different PC and still get the same error then it IS the device. You'll need to have a good search online to solve it.

As i said even if it is the phone the solution is to get the pc to ignore the "device descriptor request check".

I have googled a bit and even tried the phone on a linux OS which dmesg says device descriptor read/64 error -71

Some interesting info, the phone gets the "Android System - Charging" notification and doesn't give any USB options. Changing the USB options from within the developer menu doesn't seem to do anything and booting the phone in recovery mode, I get the same error.

dinther

Aug 27, 2013
Auckland
Yeah, I have the same problem on two different computers. But both are running the same version of W10.

The event viewer shows the problem starts with a warning:

Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&3078a0ae&0&2 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: USB\VID_0000&PID_0003\6&9232bd1&0&1
Class Guid: {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFFFFFF100
Present: false

Then an information event:

Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&3078a0ae&0&2 was configured.

Driver Name: usb.inf
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.18362.1
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: BADDEVICE.Dev.NT
Driver Rank: 0xFF0000
Matching Device Id: USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE
Outranked Drivers: usb.inf:USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE:00FF2000
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: USB\VID_8087&PID_0024\5&90e832b&2&1

And finally the Error:

Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&3078a0ae&0&2 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: usb.inf
Service:
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0x2B
Problem Status: 0x0

Have a look and see what you have. Open the device manager. Right click on the faulty device with the exclamation mark. Select Properties and then the event tab. I can only assume this is a migration bug of some kind.

I have been following instructions left right and center to update drivers, windows etc.
If anyone has any further tips I am keen to hear as well.

karamdabagh

Apr 30, 2020
i have a samsung s7 edge, it used to work fine when i connect it via usb to my w10 pc
i recently deleted my USBsettings app storage and cache for a certain purpose, now im getting the same problem
when i connect to my pc, i think if i somehow restore the usbsettings app cache and storage, or prompt the phone
to redo the connection settings, then maybe it will be solved, maybe you have the same problem

micw

Dec 19, 2012
I had the same issue when I switched to download mode while the phone was plugged in. After I switched the phone off, unplugged, switched to download mode and then plugged the phone, the issue disappeared.

It was definitively not a windows issue. On my linux box I also got the error that the device descriptor could not be read.