S7 Edge Camera Issue...

Search This thread

dt0xin

Mar 1, 2011
Hey,

So I noticed something interesting with my S7 edge camera. Take a look at these two pictures. The lines are all parallel but the camera warps them and makes them wavey. I tried THREE other brand new S7 edge and 1 S7 phones and they all had this issue.

1J5xXZn.jpg

qZQt03t.jpg

Can someone else see if this is happening on their phones too? Post pictures please!

Reactions: billa

tiskewlio

Jun 23, 2010
It's your eyes. In reality they are straight lines, but your brain makes them wavy.

Sent from my Blackberry Bold

The lines are most definitely wavy. Just pull a ruler across the screen and you will see how the lines are no actually straight. As for why? I'm not sure but it's probably due to the nature of the lens. It's not very noticeable in every day use though.

Watti1974

Nov 29, 2012
Could be a flaw , but also an illusion
Tell you a funny store from the goood old days
At rolls royce in england they had old craftsmenn doing the welding job on manufacturing the grill on the rolls
they were the only ones that could make them so they lokked straight elgeangt lines ,, but.. take a ruler and they are bend so ever slightly to avoid your eyes seeing them as out of line ( your lens in the eye is curved too ) ;)

Reactions: burrzoo

dt0xin

Mar 1, 2011
Guys,

I've taken multiple photos. These are only a few. I have tested with 5 devices total. Put a straight edge up to the image and you will see that they are distorted. The distortion is static - always distorts the same way in the same place for each image.

Can anyone else test and post pictures?

Thanks!

peachpuff

Aug 31, 2010
NH9nU7U.jpg

ML3Z9lN.jpg

You can clearly see there's some barreling distortion near the top of the pic but there's another type of distortion in the middle, the level is flat, dont worry about the bubble.

Last edited:

vr002sh

Mar 5, 2016
Plastic f1.7 lens! Even my expensive L glass has some barreling, especially wide open, but I can correct for that in my DSLR body. I think that as smartphone lenses get faster, this will become more apparent.

peachpuff

Aug 31, 2010
Plastic f1.7 lens! Even my expensive L glass has some barreling, especially wide open, but I can correct for that in my DSLR body. I think that as smartphone lenses get faster, this will become more apparent.

Even in the middle? I can understand some barreling on the outside.

Definitely visible here with both the sony and samsung sensors.

http://cdn03.androidauthority.net/w...03/Samsung-Galaxy-S7-camera-sample-Sony-5.jpg
http://cdn02.androidauthority.net/w...Samsung-Galaxy-S7-camera-sample-ISOCELL-5.jpg

Last edited:

ben805

Aug 3, 2011
It's barrel distortion, you can fix this during post processing, should not matter unless you use your phone on architecture stuff.

xantrk

Nov 9, 2011
There is a shape-correction or distortion connection setting that may fix this. AFAIK it was affecting only selfies on s6, but this one also does sth to rear cam.

thedolc

Mar 20, 2017
the exact same problem with my s6 rear camera

Guys same exact problem for me, I can confirm you it not only affects s7 but also s6 since mine is an s6 non edge. Just waves all over the horizontal axis of the image, almost embarrassing, and this should be supposed to be among the best smartphone cameras? really?? and no reviewer noticed that??? Incredible, a real shame....

Last edited:
Reactions: billa

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey,

So I noticed something interesting with my S7 edge camera. Take a look at these two pictures. The lines are all parallel but the camera warps them and makes them wavey. I tried THREE other brand new S7 edge and 1 S7 phones and they all had this issue.

1J5xXZn.jpg

qZQt03t.jpg

Can someone else see if this is happening on their phones too? Post pictures please!
    It's your eyes. In reality they are straight lines, but your brain makes them wavy.

Sent from my Blackberry Bold
    I kind of noticed the same thing, especially at the top.
    Could be a flaw , but also an illusion
    Tell you a funny store from the goood old days
    At rolls royce in england they had old craftsmenn doing the welding job on manufacturing the grill on the rolls
    they were the only ones that could make them so they lokked straight elgeangt lines ,, but.. take a ruler and they are bend so ever slightly to avoid your eyes seeing them as out of line ( your lens in the eye is curved too ) ;)
    I know it. It doesn't work.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone