S7 Edge loses to G5 in low light shooting

Search This thread

ashouhdy

Aug 22, 2009
Alexandria
Almost all low light shots of the g5 with lower shutter are blurring moving subjects .. the s7 faster shutter freezes moving subjects better.

The indoor pub image is waaaay better in the s7 ... medium lighting the g5 is a tad better.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

So to get myself clear

Here is the g5 photo with the 16mp sensor .. persons in the center are blurry

c7a6820fc7569b49da476ffc686280ae.jpg

Now see the S7 shot .. tackle sharp despite lower megapixel counts

e98143be7fd83b1254c443fc4c7b2ff3.jpg

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

Another example

G5

23bec16508f1fd54f738df1dc088dd6e.jpg

S7

75e3fc5206eebfaa8e2d12609a40b7cf.jpg

Derpling

May 10, 2015
Well I have both phones and Samsung is better imho. Slightly faster as well in auto focus.

My major issues wth g5 are battery and build quality: the gap between the chassis and module is noticeable and doesn't inspire confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmm what would u choose as your daily camera? as far as i read on web, user comments and reviews, GS7 camera are superior than LG, but that review is a bit discouraging though idk how creditable is.

markwebb

Okay let me temper my comments. Both cameras are excellent but I believe and think Samsung does have the edge no pun intended. :) I have noticed in a few shots on the LG the autofocus took slightly longer than the Samsung and though the megapixels are bigger on the LG, the Samsung pics still pick up lots of detail and seem to be much brighter and sharper. Honestly, they both are very close but again the build quality on the LG bothers me and I will never use a module.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: ashouhdy

ashouhdy

Aug 22, 2009
Alexandria
G5

3177d6729d2fc3e9371b2a7aac249913.jpg

S7

1ebc15d621939f70cd00e79e2c52cdfb.jpg

Cant decide.. but the s7 preserved the highlights and colors better.

---------- Post added at 01:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

G5

7856a3b8bade48c0168162692151f783.jpg

S7

736e5579101cc843b2107e48ddfcaec7.jpg

markwebb

OK I am now seeing the pattern and differences in captures: slightly overblown and washed out while samsung has a richer scape with depth. My top pic is the lg5 which you like but is a tad more blown out and slightly washed out giving the appearance of brightness as that painting stares at me more naturally like the second pic. :)

Your samsung cityscapes have more depth and richness to them; the LG though similar seems flat.

Last edited:

ashouhdy

Aug 22, 2009
Alexandria
OK I am now seeing the pattern and differences in captures: slightly overblown and washed out while samsung has a richer scape with depth. My top pic is the lg5 which you like but is a tad more blown out and slightly washed out giving the appearance of brightness as that painting stares at me more naturally like the second pic. :)

Your samsung cityscapes have more depth and richness to them; the LG though similar seems flat.

After all its not just the camera .. the battery for me is enough ???

---------- Post added at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 AM ----------

Also samsung should tune down the contrast and sharpening alittle bit

meyerweb

Jun 19, 2010
In those night shots the G5 is majorly overexposing the images. It's exposure algorithm is weight the dark areas too heavily, while the Samsung camera app is correctly exposing more for the highlights. To really compare the sensors, rather than the software, you'd need to equalize the exposures.

msavic6

Jun 28, 2010
Vancouver
I was extremely satisfied with the S6 Camera and am hoping my S7E does even better when it finally arrives but this review is slightly worrying me. This is the first review I've seen where the G5 does a better job than the S7. In the end I'm expecting an improvement over my S6/G4 so we'll see how it goes once I receive the phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

berfles

Sep 4, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ4Ax1AN7EU

Pretty much the only thing I listen to for comparisons. This guy does the best job I've seen at producing the same images to compare, and the S7 crushes the G5 in low light. Pretty much bests the G5 in every test but the front facing camera, in the ice crema shot the G5 blurs the edges and in the lake shot the reflections are blurred. The video quality is also better in the S7, and of course, so is the focusing speed.

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
Last edited:

hagba

Nov 9, 2008
Yerevan
Take a look at the cityscape 3rd picture at the humans in the bottom on both, it will tell you all.

Tiny Wiz

Apr 7, 2010
Did anyone of you notice the sound quality of the cameras in the video recordings?

The S7 is so much better at capturing fine sound details. Especially in the first video the sound in the G5 is so heavy, like the ventilation system at the office. As soon as the G7 video starts it is like the ventilation turns off and you get the feeling of relief.

pennzoilgtr

Jan 28, 2011
Singapore
S7 and G5 are both wide angle
Wide angle can handle almost any shutter speed your hand can possibly handle without shaking

G5 can achieve slightly better low light quality using very low shutter speed thus achieved lower iso. slight shake and your shot is ruined :)

S7 has the ability to shoot in raw format and you can unlock many capabilities in a raw file such as adjusting noise (luminance), highlights, curve and lots more. You can even recover a overexposed photo to recover details in an overexpose image with a raw file while jpeg can't. So S7 is the victory in my case.

I'm a dslr enthusiast

Derpling

May 10, 2015
S7 and G5 are both wide angle
Wide angle can handle almost any shutter speed your hand can possibly handle without shaking

G5 can achieve slightly better low light quality using very low shutter speed thus achieved lower iso. slight shake and your shot is ruined :)

S7 has the ability to shoot in raw format and you can unlock many capabilities in a raw file such as adjusting noise (luminance), highlights, curve and lots more. You can even recover a overexposed photo to recover details in an overexpose image with a raw file while jpeg can't. So S7 is the victory in my case.

I'm a dslr enthusiast

G5 can show raw as well, i do find S7 to be better than G5 in all tests, not in those one but the one i've made. gonna grab G5 from a friend to test it further.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well I have both phones and Samsung is better imho. Slightly faster as well in auto focus.

My major issues wth g5 are battery and build quality: the gap between the chassis and module is noticeable and doesn't inspire confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Okay let me temper my comments. Both cameras are excellent but I believe and think Samsung does have the edge no pun intended. :) I have noticed in a few shots on the LG the autofocus took slightly longer than the Samsung and though the megapixels are bigger on the LG, the Samsung pics still pick up lots of detail and seem to be much brighter and sharper. Honestly, they both are very close but again the build quality on the LG bothers me and I will never use a module.

Yeah the colors on lg look a bit washed out while samsung has a bit more depth and contrast. Both appear a bit blurry but probably due to xda upload.

G5 can show raw as well, i do find S7 to be better than G5 in all tests, not in those one but the one i've made. gonna grab G5 from a friend to test it further.

Don't have g5 didn't know can do raw, my bad. Haha.
    OK anyway g5 and s7 not the first to that able capable to handle raw file anyway. The old flagship lumia 1020 40mp that spots a 1/1.5" sensor is the first smartphone to support raw format which is bigger that can do even better at low light. Till date, Nokia produces the largest smartphone camera sensor ever. To Nokia, apple and samsung are just toy camera haha

20160406174534.jpg