S8 is much slower than the Google Pixel?

Search This thread

qwertyuiop89

Apr 7, 2010
Hi all,

Just switched to the s8 from a google pixel.

Beautiful phone, but if is noticeably slower, in many ways:

1. Poor screen responsiveness of the keyboard. Typing on SwiftKey is slower on the s8 than the pixel. It seems that take a split second longer to recognise the touch.

2. Scrolling stuttering. The pixel's scrolling is buttery smooth. The s8 seems to be seriously slopping frames for something as simple as scrolling a page of text on chrome!

3. App switcher. It's really very jelly compared to the buttery smooth Pixel.

Anyone else experienced these issues, and /or have any thoughts?

Last edited:

vw65bus

Jul 23, 2010
No issues here, and I'm no samsung fan boy. I've got iPhone 7 plus, zte axon 7, lg v20, and I've owned nexus devices. But with My track record with samsung I'd know for sure in 2 weeks lol. Happy so far

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

haqone

Mar 24, 2011
Has been butter smooth for me and I have not noticed any lag on the keyboard or in any screen. Not sure why you are experiencing such poor performance.

leyvatron

Dec 6, 2007
Los Angeles
Pixel is bare bones and Samsung is full of features and customization (some useful and others a waste). Samsung is know for bloatware which slows the phone down, but my S8 is fluid.

foresterh

Jun 7, 2015
I noticed the same thing

I noticed a delay with my s8 compared to the pixel xl when I happened to switch between apps on both. To test it out I opened up the same two apps and double tapped the toggle window button. The s8 is slower and not as smooth. There may be an animation speed setting that makes it faster but still seems like it wouldn't be as smooth.

Typing this in noticing swift key going slower too.

My battery is at 15% so maybe something is optimizing it and slowing it down...

VaderSS

Nov 10, 2011
Fairfield, CA
Started having problems again. Ironically, similar to the problems that caused me to switch from the S4 to the S8 and to what the OP mentions.. Freezing of apps and high battery draw. Stuttering and slow to switch apps and unlock. Problems with keyboard not recording keystrokes. Then it goes b as back to being perfect again.

There is an update ready, but I'm having flashbacks to the update that locked the S4 down. I know this phone is already locked down more than the S4 ever was, but still...

mlock420

Aug 6, 2013
No issues here, and I'm no samsung fan boy. I've got iPhone 7 plus, zte axon 7, lg v20, and I've owned nexus devices. But with My track record with samsung I'd know for sure in 2 weeks lol. Happy so far
Yes to my surprise this sammy built phone hasn't lagged yet but it's too early to tell

vw65bus

Jul 23, 2010
Yes to my surprise this sammy built phone hasn't lagged yet but it's too early to tell
Yep another week and a half we'll know, hoping it doesn't. But if it's going to I hope its before my return window. I think samsung finally made a good speedy phone.

To anyone wanting to help speed it up and block updates until there sure it's a good update. I disabled updates in developer settings, and set animations to .5x.

Reactions: mlock420

mlock420

Aug 6, 2013
Yep another week and a half we'll know, hoping it doesn't. But if it's going to I hope its before my return window. I think samsung finally made a good speedy phone.

To anyone wanting to help speed it up and block updates until there sure it's a good update. I disabled updates in developer settings, and set animations to .5x.
Yeah I'm not updating cause remapping Bixby is the best for that button... now if we can remap that fingerprint scanner lol

mlock420

Aug 6, 2013
Lol yep that would be awesome and funny. Ya I have my bixby button set to google now. Wish there wasnt a button there though.
I got a question is there a way to get rid of that ota update symbol on my status bar or do I download the update and just don't install?...i really wanna get rid of that symbol but don't wanna risk the update being accidentally installed

vw65bus

Jul 23, 2010
I got a question is there a way to get rid of that ota update symbol on my status bar or do I download the update and just don't install?...i really wanna get rid of that symbol but don't wanna risk the update being accidentally installed
Unfortunately, I don't know how to get rid of it. (Yet) I'm pretty sure once you set it up to stop updates it doesn't show up. But same with my case I didn't know the update was going to break bixby button so I stopped it when I found out. Now mine shows, and I've tried to get rid of it by blocking its notifications thru holding down on it and going to its settings. But it still shows up. I'm still working on a work around to get rid of it. Once I do I'll let you know.

mlock420

Aug 6, 2013
Unfortunately, I don't know how to get rid of it. (Yet) I'm pretty sure once you set it up to stop updates it doesn't show up. But same with my case I didn't know the update was going to break bixby button so I stopped it when I found out. Now mine shows, and I've tried to get rid of it by blocking its notifications thru holding down on it and going to its settings. But it still shows up. I'm still working on a work around to get rid of it. Once I do I'll let you know.
I can't remember if we can just download it and then once it offers to install maybe we could ignore it but I forgot if that was the case for 7.0 update for s7e

Scottland

Jun 6, 2006
I'm getting stuttery scrolling across various apps. Some are smooth though, and others more like a mid-range phone from a few years ago - not what you'd expect from a flagship device today.

Tugs4life

Aug 13, 2012
I'm experiencing the stuttering apps. As mentioned in this thread, disabling window animations has helped with this experience.
This is my first android phone since the HTC one X.
Can we expect any custome ROMs? Or updates to improve performance?

peachpuff

Aug 31, 2010
I'm getting stuttery scrolling across various apps. Some are smooth though, and others more like a mid-range phone from a few years ago - not what you'd expect from a flagship device today.

Not all apps are created equal, some are smoother than others simply because they're written differently.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm coming from a Google Pixel as well and can happily say that 48 hours in, I've experienced no noticeable lag/slowness in the S8, compared to my Pixel. Even using gBoard as my default keyboard has been flawless. Whether I'm typing one letter at a time or using the swipe feature to type, it's been buttery smooth.

However, I should mention that I did enable developer options and turned "Window animation scale" and "Transition animation scale" both to 0. I'm also using Nova Launcher instead of the stock launcher.

Time will tell, but so far I'm not seeing any of the lag/choppiness that people have complained about with TouchWiz for years.
    Hi all,

Just switched to the s8 from a google pixel.

Beautiful phone, but if is noticeably slower, in many ways:

1. Poor screen responsiveness of the keyboard. Typing on SwiftKey is slower on the s8 than the pixel. It seems that take a split second longer to recognise the touch.

2. Scrolling stuttering. The pixel's scrolling is buttery smooth. The s8 seems to be seriously slopping frames for something as simple as scrolling a page of text on chrome!

3. App switcher. It's really very jelly compared to the buttery smooth Pixel.

Anyone else experienced these issues, and /or have any thoughts?
    I always disable window animation in developer tools. Make it way better for me. I don't like window animation.

Verry fast here and extremely happy with it