S8 Locking up and restarting

Search This thread
Nov 20, 2012
New S8 today... I was pumped but I'm starting to get concerned. I've tried with AOD on and off but if I pocket the device and walk around a bit it seems not to want to wake up and bring me to the lock screen.

Once I get it to respond, it's restarting.... Boooo

Any thoughts? Defective unit?

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
New S8 today... I was pumped but I'm starting to get concerned. I've tried with AOD on and off but if I pocket the device and walk around a bit it seems not to want to wake up and bring me to the lock screen.

Did you restore from your old phone with Smart Switch? Sometimes Samsung's or third party apps can create version conflicts when they're moved over. BTW, where are you and what's the region of your phone?

Nov 20, 2012
Canada on Rogers...

The phone is obviously new and I'm coming over from an HTC. I did a fresh setup from scratch as I'm new to Samsung.

My phone did do a major update soon after turning on for the first time.

Gekidami

Apr 20, 2017
I'm getting the same problem on my S8 standard. Randomly, the screen will have some artefacts appear (nearly always on the bottom) then it just restarts. Happens in safe mode too so it doesn't appear to be an app causing it. Phoned Samsung and they told me to send it back to the retailers and ask for a replacement.

So that sucks. Besides on this forum I haven't seen anyone else talking about this, so I guess it's not a wide spread problem.

Last edited:

QueenRedV

Apr 20, 2017
At&the in the US.
Received phone yesterday and used smart switch to transfer from my Samsung Edge phone. Everything was working great but now the screen is not working...frozen. it won't reboot, nothing works!

GuardianZX9

Dec 6, 2003
Cincinnati
Moto G Power
Verizon S8+ US

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

For me it seems to be directly related to biometrics, if I have the fingerprint reader and face recognition enabled at the same time it locks up often.

Or iris scanner and fingerprint reader both enabled I get lockups.

It will get stuck on the always on screen, yippy can press the home button and feel the haptic feedback but nothing happens.

bahamasjkh

Jan 1, 2014
South Amboy, NJ
s8 plus retart

the exact same problem is happening to my new s8 plus as well... even had T-Mobile send me another.. same issue with that too... AOD goes dim.. phone becomes unresponsive and then restarts. already did this 3 times today.. tried turning of OAD.. no luck.. I did notice that it happens a lot when I put phone in pocket.

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

Did you restore from your old phone with Smart Switch? Sometimes Samsung's or third party apps can create version conflicts when they're moved over. BTW, where are you and what's the region of your phone?

I restored both phones using smart restore.. could it be that I have to manually restore my phone? ie.. install each application seperately

GuardianZX9

Dec 6, 2003
Cincinnati
Moto G Power
I dont think smart restore is the issue, it has something to do with the lock/AOD screen and power save.

It is getting stuck in some low power state and its not coming back.

I have tested with multiple fresh installs and the issue persists.

I am on my second Verizon S8+ and still having the issue.

bahamasjkh

Jan 1, 2014
South Amboy, NJ
Same here .. 2 units.. s8plus on tmobile... decided to factory reset.. didn't install any sofware.. had on wireless charger.. while watching tv I noticed my phone scree n turn on... damn thing just restarted!! Samsung says to run in safe mode to eliminate 3rd party software conflicts.... REALLY?

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
Mine never restarted or locked up, so must be something particular. Interesting theory about fingerprint and iris scanners conflicting: Once I set up fingerprint, I can't get iris scan to work at all.

skivnit

May 21, 2012
Mine never restarted or locked up, so must be something particular. Interesting theory about fingerprint and iris scanners conflicting: Once I set up fingerprint, I can't get iris scan to work at all.
Not true I have them both enabled and can you them however I feel.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My phone was fine for exactly 2 weeks until Friday. Then the 1st reboot happened. Now the 2nd just happened a few minutes ago. It flashed my AT&T app quit working right before the restart. What is going on?
    My T-Mobile S8 started randomly rebooting on me a couple of nights ago too. I thought it might be related to the external Sandiisk Ultra 128GB micro SD card getting file corruptions and causing the reboots but after checking the files on the card, they are all just fine. So it is not my micro SD card. However, I did install a weather app called "Realtime Weather" that I recall the day that the reboots started happening all of a sudden. There was a widget it installed too called Rainy Weather which I put on my home screen. Yesterday, I uninstalled that app and today, so far, I've not had any more random reboots. So I will keep watching to see if it will still reboot out of nowhere after uninstalling that app. If it reboots again, I will report back here. So far, so good though. So everyone having random reboots, try to remove any recent apps you might have installed before the reboots started happening. I'm not saying that's the cause for sure, but so far, I've not had a reboot today where before I would have had several random reboots already.