• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

S8 on Android Oreo Battery Drain

Search This thread

R4in_

Aug 30, 2016
Hello, I recently updated my S8 from Nougat to Oreo and I noticed a HUGE difference in battery life. I usually have a SoT of 4-5+ with heavy usage. But since the update, my battery would only last around 2 SoT more or less. I had already done a factory reset and turned off Bixby but my battery is still draining.

I've also heard some people said that the new update requires the phone to "settle" and store the cache so it can "get used to" my usage, with a minimum of 1 week (only had this update for 2 days). I'm not sure if that's true but I don't seem to have many options right now which is why I'm now open to any other suggestions and if all suggestions are done and draining still persist, I might have to roll back to Nougat. Thank you.

magarto

Jan 22, 2011
Madrid
Try disabling bixby apps. It helped to a lot of users (not me)

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Aug 10, 2014
Castries
Found the issue turn off background activity for the phone app in setting go to apps find the phone app and turn it off. Turns back on after a reboot automatically so keep this in mind.........

funkybone

Jul 31, 2013
Found the issue turn off background activity for the phone app in setting go to apps find the phone app and turn it off. Turns back on after a reboot automatically so keep this in mind.........
What phoneapp? I looked over my apps and it doesnt exist. Can u provide screenshot?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Aug 10, 2014
Castries
I forgot when in the apps section in settings you got to hit the 3 dots on the top right and select show system apps then scroll down to the phone app the select then battery then disable allow background activity.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180315-090411_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180315-090411_Settings.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 2,997

Bubba1986

Mar 22, 2018
S8 Oreo Battery Drain

Good Afternoon,

The 3 phone services to disable the background activity has worked a bit but my battery is still draining pretty good... is there any other services I can check to see if the background activity is being used somewhere else?

savedR

Dec 13, 2007
gplus.to
This is completely out of left field, but if you have Allo installed, make sure it isn't using your camera too hard. A week before I upgraded to Oreo I found that one day Allo had used my camera for 46 minutes, even though app foreground time was like 15 minutes and I hadn't launched the camera in Allo at all that day. My solution was to revoke the Camera permission for Allo and that seemed to take care of it.

Unfortunately I just got the Oreo upgrade, Allo still isn't allowed to use camera and I'm getting roughly half my normal battery life anyway as well, haven't been able to determine what else it could be yet.

savedR

Dec 13, 2007
gplus.to
Whelp, bad news, I did a factory reset and that totally fixed my battery I think! So, great for me, my phone is back to normal, but not a useful data point for you unfortunately.

Robert3750

Mar 12, 2016
I don't understand why all these "adjustments" need to be made after a version "upgrade". "I'm the latest and greatest version! I'm going to set things in your phone that eat up your battery!" WHY??

Lauren G

Jul 27, 2014
Craiova
Everything was fine after the Oreo update, but I can barely get through a full day without changing. The main issue seems to be Android system.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180330-153121.png
    Screenshot_20180330-153121.png
    188.4 KB · Views: 933

vinodrodricks

Oct 31, 2014
Disable all smart locks if enabled like Voice recognition, location locks etc., It will definitely drain battery if enabled.

Top Liked Posts