S8 VR headset works fine with Note 8

Search This thread

josue85

Dec 29, 2009
Chicago
I previously owned an S8+, so I still have the VR headset here. On a whim, I connected my verizon Note 8. To my surprise it fit fine (A little more snug than the s8, but definitely fit ok). I was surprised to then see a prompt saying I should check my phone to install the Oculus app. I did just that, and lo and behold VR is working just fine. I'm not really sure why they are telling people this doesn't work when it does. Anyone else try this out?

Edit:
Here is video proof: https://youtu.be/0x1HBJruXS8

Last edited:

zonly1

Dec 9, 2010
SL,UT
I previously owned an S8+, so I still have the VR headset here. On a whim, I connected my verizon Note 8. To my surprise it fit fine (A little more snug than the s8, but definitely fit ok). I was surprised to then see a prompt saying I should check my phone to install the Oculus app. I did just that, and lo and behold VR is working just fine. I'm not really sure why they are telling people this doesn't work when it does. Anyone else try this out?
Ugh, really? Just bought the Note 8 one...I'll be returning that if true! Oh and congrats on the phone...pre-ordered directly from Sammy...no love.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

josue85

Dec 29, 2009
Chicago
Ugh, really? Just bought the Note 8 one...I'll be returning that if true! Oh and congrats on the phone...pre-ordered directly from Sammy...no love.

If they disable this through software, I'll be pretty angry. This proves that technically nothing is stopping the old headset from working, I'm struggling to find a reason they are putting out a new version.

LIVEFRMNYC

Jan 7, 2007

Wow, this is great news. :good:

Is there any stress on the Note 8? Like does it feel like if you release the latch, the phone will go flying out?

Also do you notice any improvements, like a slight field of view or smoother experience?

josue85

Dec 29, 2009
Chicago
Wow, this is great news. :good:

Is there any stress on the Note 8? Like does it feel like if you release the latch, the phone will go flying out?

Also do you notice any improvements, like a slight field of view or smoother experience?

No stress that I can tell. It fits more snug than the S8, so you have to be slightly more careful putting it in. Once snapped in, there is no worry of it falling out.

As for performance, it's comparable to the S8. I haven't done anything that would strain the cpu. I ran a few games just to verify that it worked with no error messages.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

advocate2

Jun 14, 2011
Vegas
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
No stress that I can tell. It fits more snug than the S8, so you have to be slightly more careful putting it in. Once snapped in, there is no worry of it falling out.

As for performance, it's comparable to the S8. I haven't done anything that would strain the cpu. I ran a few games just to verify that it worked with no error messages.

Thanks for the news. I didn't order the N8 version in my order from Samsung and then started regretting it. Folks are starting to dump the 2017 version on EEEEE the Bay and I picked up a like new one for less than half the price of the N8 version. I suspect prices on last years model will start going up once your news is out.

advocate2

Jun 14, 2011
Vegas
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I believe it's the SM-R324NZAAXAR, the one that came out with the S8.

The first model was the white one and then they came out with the 323 (black in a white box) which I used briefly for the Note 7 and then the Note 5 to which I reverted. You had to buy the controller separately for the 323. The 2017 324 came in a black box with the picture of both the Gear VR and the controller on the front of the box.

josue85

Dec 29, 2009
Chicago
The first model was the white one and then they came out with the 323 (black in a white box) which I used briefly for the Note 7 and then the Note 5 to which I reverted. You had to buy the controller separately for the 323. The 2017 324 came in a black box with the picture of both the Gear VR and the controller on the front of the box.

Yeah. the black one with the controller is the one I use. I updated the first post with a video if anyone is interested. Excuse the meandering of the video, I didn't want to make any edits and have you think I manipulated the video.

harveydent

Feb 24, 2009

Edit:

Awesome! Keep us updated, I wanted to do this but my N8 is still on preorder, and I was worried it might be too big and crack the glass

xile6

Dec 2, 2008
Dallas
Because they want money duh lol.......

But yea i figure it would work. At most be tight or off center.
Either way had a few of the vr headset and sold all of them but the s8 plus one. So thats cool i can still use it. I dont use it that often so no sense in buying a new one.

doblebo

Nov 24, 2012
thats good to know. i had to take a dremel to my 2016 gear vr (came with the s7 / note 7) to get my note 8 to fit

sak87

Dec 9, 2007
Chicago
Glad to know I am not the only one who used the note 8 with the vr from the S8 era.
I mainly use the VR while laying down and for some reason, the video playback only worked in a sitting position. So I never used the VR when I got the S8.
This VR works well with my note and the video playback worked fine as well, either sitting or laying down. I am happy I can use it finally. :)
The phone fits in. A little snug but the clasp holds it. It won't fly out when released, at least it didn't happen in my multiple uses.

Reactions: truckerdewd

LIVEFRMNYC

Jan 7, 2007
I gave it a try. The Oculus software worked fine, that's no problem. But the Note 8 fits very tight. Actually, the latch doesn't completely grasp the phone 100% like it suppose to. I understand why Samsung made a Note 8 version. I don't feel completely comfortable using it without the Gear VR cover on, afraid it might pop out(unlikely but not chancing it). So I'll just use this with the cover on for now on. I don't use the pass-through cam anyway.

Gary02468

Jul 25, 2011
I gave it a try. The Oculus software worked fine, that's no problem. But the Note 8 fits very tight. Actually, the latch doesn't completely grasp the phone 100% like it suppose to. I understand why Samsung made a Note 8 version. I don't feel completely comfortable using it without the Gear VR cover on, afraid it might pop out(unlikely but not chancing it). So I'll just use this with the cover on for now on. I don't use the pass-through cam anyway.
Maybe a rubber band could help secure it. But is the image noticeably askew due to the incomplete insertion?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Edit:

I didn't use the Gear VR that I got free with the S8+ much because it stuttered so much.

No stutter for me on the Note8.
    I got my Note 8 to fit in my S8+ gear VR, but it was so tight that I did not keep it in the headset. I think it needs shaving for the N8 to fit, and even then it seems iffy. Also, the N8 is thicker and it seemed too thick to fit in the rubber piece that is in the non-usb C clamp/side. I figured I'd need to use a razor blade to that too to make it fit right. Oculus did install in the brief time I had my N8 in the S8+ holder, but the fit was so tight as IMO it would cause damage to the N8 so I haven't tried it since.
    Other than saving a bit of money, is there any reason to avoid the SM-R325 and prefer the SM-R324 if my phone the S8? I know both can be used, but is there any reason to prefer one over the other?

Id personally get the R325. Just in case you upgrade to the Note 8 or Note 9.